Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th June 2017, 15:53   #6376
BHPian

Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
After 10 years of service my Whirlpool Refrigerator seems to be giving one more round of problems. It used to blow its control unit every few years and it cost 3k until a few months ago where it cost 5k. I should have quit.

Now it is choking with ice so much so that the fan stops running.

How good are these so called inverter Fridges ? Will they last a decade ?
My current one consumes about 150 VA while running. I don't see how you can cool a box with the size of 250 liters with less energy.
I have faced this problem twice in 4 years in my own whirlpool 410 Lit fridge and another 490 Whirlpool at my sisters place. A likely solution to this PCB conking off is to replace the frost-free PCB run mechanism with a manual thermostat. They will do some drilling at the back, and keep a manual thermostat unit. The downside is the door front mounted temperature controls will not work, the door opening buzzer will not work. They will place a manual temperature control knob inside the fridge to control the temperature for the freezer and the fridge.
It seems the WP frost free models are prone to the PCB failure in 2-3 years. Easy revenue for them, which will make me avoid WP fridges for any of my future purchases.
With complex circuit run electronics in fridges nowadays, their longevity is anybody's guess. As mentioned by aroy earlier in this thread, it is difficult to find anything which lasts for more than a few years like the earlier mechanical fridges.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 01:23   #6377
Senior - BHPian

What are the top 3 refrigerator brands in terms of service? What are the brands that must be avoided (with reference to service) ?
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 09:42   #6378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I have faced this problem twice in 4 years in my own whirlpool 410 Lit fridge and another 490 Whirlpool at my sisters place. A likely solution to this PCB conking off is to replace the frost-free PCB run mechanism with a manual thermostat....
It seems the WP frost free models are prone to the PCB failure in 2-3 years. ...
With complex circuit run electronics in fridges nowadays, their longevity is anybody's guess. As mentioned by aroy earlier in this thread, it is difficult to find anything which lasts for more than a few years like the earlier mechanical fridges.
I persisted with Whirlpool for one reason - its cabinet held for years without getting rusted. Our earlier Refrigerators' compressors survived while their bodies rusted.
Another issue with whirlpool is the water dripping down from the freezer accumulates in a tray kept over the compressor which stinks. It is a chore to crawl behind the unit to remove and wash the tray.

I agree - these days no machine survives more than few years with all the bells and whistles. Earlier machines were a little 'dumber' but they lasted for generations. I still have a Kaitan fan which has been working for more than 35 years.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 09:53   #6379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
What are the top 3 refrigerator brands in terms of service? What are the brands that must be avoided (with reference to service) ?
With LG and Samsung you can't go wrong with service.
Both have good service all over the country.
Between the two, my choice would be LG for Home appliances.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 11:21   #6380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I agree in general - I have an LG TV, LG A/C & an LG Washing machine. My earlier TV was also LG. Both quality & service are outstanding.

However, I was shopping for a fridge last year & I found the prices of both LG & Samsung fridges to be quite high. I found Godrej to have best VFM as far fridges go. In this thread also, a few people have given a good feedback for Godrej service, so I went ahead and purchased that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I agree - these days no machine survives more than few years with all the bells and whistles. Earlier machines were a little 'dumber' but they lasted for generations. I still have a Kaitan fan which has been working for more than 35 years.

My LG washing machine is 12 years old and going rate - I have no AMC & I must have spent around 2000-3000 Rs total on it over these 12 years. My LG CRT TV was 9 years old & in excellent shape before I replaced it with an LED TV 3 years back. My Haier Fridge lasted for 10 years, before it broke down last year.

Last edited by carboy : 27th June 2017 at 11:25.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 11:51   #6381
BHPian

How is croma air coolers? I have not purchased any croma branded products but was thinking of buying the below model.

https://www.croma.com/croma-craf2042...grey-/p/175903

P.S : Have some 5k as gift coupons from croma and hence looking to buy from there only.
TorqueyTechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 12:09   #6382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I agree in general - I have an LG TV, LG A/C & an LG Washing machine. My earlier TV was also LG. Both quality & service are outstanding.

However, I was shopping for a fridge last year & I found the prices of both LG & Samsung fridges to be quite high. I found Godrej to have best VFM as far fridges go. In this thread also, a few people have given a good feedback for Godrej service, so I went ahead and purchased that.

LG has captured the market well in last 2 decades and now they want to place themselves in the premium segment. Same strategy as Hyundai, if you notice.

Godrej overall build quality and specifications are good.
Old 28th June 2017, 17:33   #6383
BHPian

My Sunbeam proglide steam iron stopped working after 3 years. I need to buy a new one. I'm looking for a powerful steam iron that is easy to clean and also has a durable soleplate that makes ironing easy.
The proglide made ironing a breeze and I doubt I'll get anything that good.
My budget is about 2000-3000 Rs. Any suggestions?
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 17:46   #6384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

My LG washing machine is 12 years old and going rate - I have no AMC & I must have spent around 2000-3000 Rs total on it over these 12 years. My LG CRT TV was 9 years old & in excellent shape before I replaced it with an LED TV 3 years back. My Haier Fridge lasted for 10 years, before it broke down last year.
I didn't realize until I saw this post, and am quite amused - My TV, refrigerator and washing machine are all LG. Alas, the AC I got yesterday is a Carrier. Should have got another LG. And yes, all the LGs at home have been trouble free until now. The washing machine is 12 years old, yet no signs of giving up.

Last edited by civic-sense : 28th June 2017 at 17:47.
civic-sense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 17:53   #6385
BHPian

LG would be my choice. My refrigerator was 13+ years and was running good, replaced it with a new LG refrigerator as I needed a bigger one. My washing Machine and 42 inch Plasma screen going strong for 7+ years with no issues.
vinukm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 11:06   #6386
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I beg to differ here, sorry for spoiling the party, but the worst service I have got is from Samsung. My 7 month old Microwave have gone kaput at least 3 times, including one that happened 2 days after installation, getting the service guys to home is a task, I believe studding rocket science now and building my own rocket would have been much easier. The situation is something, now neither me nor my family can stand the brand name Samsung anymore, thanks to Samsung. And I am talking about the city Pune.

Point is, all our perception is about 15-20 years back when most of us would have exposed to the world of home appliances and LG and Samsung ruled the world then. Just want to mention, the situation has largely changed in last 5 years, where services had been outsourced to 3rd party, eventually the great Samsung and LG and not so great Hitachi or unknown GE would be getting serviced at the same service center and by same service guy.

Surprisingly, I got the best service experience from rather most bashed guys, Bosch .

Currently most of our family stuffs were going through replacement and we are in the process of de-samsungised ourselves thanks to our stint with that microwave. Got Panasonic 450L refrigerator, two Bosch washing machines (me and parents), Sony and Panasonic TVs (me and parents), Panasonic A/C for parents. Next in line would be Parents refrigerator, which would be definitely be a Bosch/Panasonic/Lg.

Quote:
LG has captured the market well in last 2 decades and now they want to place themselves in the premium segment. Same strategy as Hyundai, if you notice.

Godrej overall build quality and specifications are good.
Godrej would be a hit or miss, they mostly compete with Haier and Whirlpool segment, below Panasonic and Samsung segment; where LG has moved up to premier segment and compete with Bosch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
LG would be my choice. My refrigerator was 13+ years and was running good, replaced it with a new LG refrigerator as I needed a bigger one. My washing Machine and 42 inch Plasma screen going strong for 7+ years with no issues.
LG is going Hyundai way, maintaining quality and competing with Sony and Bosch while Samsung unfortunately moved down the ladder to get to mass segment to compete the Chinese and Indian brands and in midway somewhere lost their name and fame.
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 11:58   #6387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I beg to differ here, sorry for spoiling the party, but the worst service I have got is from Samsung. My 7 month old Microwave have gone kaput at least 3 times, including one that happened 2 days after installation, getting the service guys to home is a task, I believe studding rocket science now and building my own rocket would have been much easier. The situation is something, now neither me nor my family can stand the brand name Samsung anymore, thanks to Samsung. And I am talking about the city Pune.
Bad luck and poor service from Samsung. I can understand the pain after putting your money on a product.

Quote:
Point is, all our perception is about 15-20 years back when most of us would have exposed to the world of home appliances and LG and Samsung ruled the world then. Just want to mention, the situation has largely changed in last 5 years, where services had been outsourced to 3rd party, eventually the great Samsung and LG and not so great Hitachi or unknown GE would be getting serviced at the same service center and by same service guy.

15 ~ 20 years back LG/Samsung were just starting in India. LG just completed 20years in 2017. There is no such perception !!
BPL/Videocon and others were ruling then.

Service industry being outsourced may be partly correct but for LG/Samsung each and every service call is strictly monitored from their respective head office.
So, eventually the service to customer is important rather than who's providing that service to customer.

Customer Service is an attitude, not a department !!

Quote:
Surprisingly, I got the best service experience from rather most bashed guys, Bosch .
Luck and location Pune was on your side here.

Quote:
Currently most of our family stuffs were going through replacement and we are in the process of de-samsungised ourselves thanks to our stint with that microwave. Got Panasonic 450L refrigerator, two Bosch washing machines (me and parents), Sony and Panasonic TVs (me and parents), Panasonic A/C for parents. Next in line would be Parents refrigerator, which would be definitely be a Bosch/Panasonic/Lg.
Wish you a trouble free experience.

Quote:
Godrej would be a hit or miss, they mostly compete with Haier and Whirlpool segment, below Panasonic and Samsung segment; where LG has moved up to premier segment and compete with Bosch.
Not nitpicking but just fyi.
Whirlpool is World no 1 in Home appliance so your statement is not a fair comparison.

Quote:
LG is going Hyundai way, maintaining quality and competing with Sony and Bosch while Samsung unfortunately moved down the ladder to get to mass segment to compete the Chinese and Indian brands and in midway somewhere lost their name and fame
True
Samsung went about their Galaxy way and lost interest in home appliance.
Old 29th June 2017, 12:15   #6388
BHPian

Hello could anybody suggest a good vacuum cleaner for home ?
scarlet.fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 12:48   #6389
BHPian

I recently purchased Karcher dry & wet model . Quite satisfied will the performance and build quality. Only concern is the limited set of attachment inside the pack.
speedgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 13:27   #6390
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Bad luck and poor service from Samsung. I can understand the pain after putting your money on a product.
Thank you for your concern. Be it a car or appliances, service is the area that affects the brand.

Quote:
15 ~ 20 years back LG/Samsung were just starting in India. LG just completed 20years in 2017. There is no such perception !!
BPL/Videocon and others were ruling then.
Year 2002, Dad bought our first Samsung refrigerator upgrading from Godrej, not of course 20 years, my 15-20 years was just a indicative approach to mention the heydays of Samsung.

Quote:
Service industry being outsourced may be partly correct but for LG/Samsung each and every service call is strictly monitored from their respective head office.
So, eventually the service to customer is important rather than who's providing that service to customer.

Customer Service is an attitude, not a department !!
I again beg to differ here, customer service is the end result and not a phone call. I agree Samsung call center does an amazing job and escalations do happen in quick succession, but if the assigned engineer would call you and say that he is too far away and can not come and hence he is closing the call, there is very little that both the call center and customer can do. End of the day, it is the technician who does the job, not the call center executive.

I have gone through a period, where my old Samsung refrigerator needed an immediate repair due to fuse blown out and the technician closed the call 7 consecutive times with same reason, customer not at home.
Eventually had to repair by a local guy and disposed it.

Quote:
Luck and location Pune was on your side here.
Pune, Bangalore and Bhubaneswar to be precise. May be luck is at my side. In Pune and Bhubaneswar Bosch service center is also authorized for LG and whirlpool. May be they have an arrangement.

According to a friend in Robert Bosch (automotive segment), their consumer goods wing is very serious in Indian market and targeting 10% market by 2020, which is a very high ambition. But, suddenly finding a lot of Bosch products in online and brick and mortar stores, somewhere states their serious approach.

Quote:
Not nitpicking but just fyi.
Whirlpool is World no 1 in Home appliance so your statement is not a fair comparison.
Agree for the world scenario. But in India, they are still behind the Koreans. Globally, VW is the world leader where Suzuki is a minnow; we know what is the scenario in India.

What I exactly meant is not sales-wise, but target customer group; Whirlpool is targeting the high volume mass market where LG and Bosch targeting the premium segment, whereas Samsung and Panasonic is sitting somewhere in between. I am not a sales or market expert, this is all my observation. I am open to be proved wrong.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 29th June 2017 at 13:30. Reason: better understanding
PetrolRider is offline   Reply With Quote