Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2016, 21:49   #6031
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
If you go to any electronics store and buy say, a rechargeable light, the shopkeeper will not give any guarantee or warranty. The light is 100% likely to be Chinese made.
What about Chinese made Apple Phone or tablet?

Quote:

I sometimes buy items in electronic and hardware shops on SP road, Blr. The owners state frankly - any exchange if it isn't working or guarantee is only inside the shop. Once you step out, no guarantee.

Would you not prefer Adidas instead of Odidas (made in PRC) or buy Sony instead of Fony (sincerely crafted in PRC) and Armani over A.R.Mani.
Well, both Adidas and Sony also manufacture in China.
Old 21st June 2016, 23:51   #6032
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What about Chinese made Apple Phone or tablet?
Well, both Adidas and Sony also manufacture in China.
We're splitting hairs aren't we? I'm sure Adidas and Sony have trusted reps. from the fatherland permanently based at Asian factories to supervise.

I'll race my spaceship quality, precision made, Nurburgring tuned, Teutonic, dirt vaporizing machine against your Korean one anyday.
Old 22nd June 2016, 08:11   #6033
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
We're splitting hairs aren't we? I'm sure Adidas and Sony have trusted reps. from the fatherland permanently based at Asian factories to supervise.

Other's probably have someone from the motherland.

Quote:
I'll race my spaceship quality, precision made, Nurburgring tuned, Teutonic, dirt vaporizing machine against your Korean one anyday.
Well, mine is going great after 11 years. I think I paid 15K for it. I haven't done any AMC for it. I have spent a total of around 1000 Rs on it in 11 years. If I call, they come within 24 hours.
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:23   #6034
BANNED

@hangover; and @carboy; If you have a personal feud please take it to the PM route. I think we try to be a bit more serious here.
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:17   #6035
Senior - BHPian

A lot of electronics is made in China. What differentiates the well established brand from the normal offering is the QA. In many cases the local Chinese brands are made in the same facility as the high end brand, but to keep "competitive" there is simply no QA and if the thing works it is sold. In contrast for major brands there is a whole lot of testing and sub-optimal goods are rejected (and in most cases destroyed).

As an example I bought 4 LED bulbs for the price of one branded bulb. Two are working perfectly after one year of continuous use. One conked off in two months and another in six months. I do not mind as I still have two for the price of one. But if you have only one piece of electronic/white goods, then the uncertainty is killing. So is the fact that if it blows early you are left with nothing. That is why most of us buy white goods that are expensive but backed up by long term warranty and a reliable after sales service.
Old 22nd June 2016, 15:27   #6036
BANNED

I agree with @Aroy. Let me recall, around 1990 we were in the UK, and a friend wanted to buy a telephone handset. He did not want Chinese. After two hours in the market he returned empty handed. It seems even then the Chinese had become world leaders in small plastic moldings, and systems. Things are the same today.

As for international sourcing it is the norm. In 1989 I opened up an HP Laserjet, and found near 100% components from Canon. At one time the Japanese were famous for cheap and cheerful stuff, today it is the Chinese. They will also improve and fast.
Old 23rd June 2016, 12:19   #6037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
1.So, spare parts cost remains same forever. Is that right ?
Quote:
1. Yes
Disagree !

Spare Parts cost CANNOT remain same forever. It will fluctuate based on polymer rate, steel rate and foreign exchange. Revision cycle varies from company to company, it can be quarterly / half yearly or yearly based on their policy.
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:54   #6038
Distinguished - BHPian

It will be the 'surprise of the decade' for me if anyone provides spares on the basis of the year or manufacture of the machine.
Old 30th June 2016, 21:06   #6039
Senior - BHPian

Guys, anyone got any idea what is the descaling powder washing machine brands sell, which we are supposed to use every 30 washes to clean the machine? Costs Rs 200.00 a pack for Whirlpool machines. Means two packs a month for me, as our machine runs twice a day. Can we use any cheaper substitutes?
Old 30th June 2016, 22:04   #6040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
...which we are supposed to use every 30 washes to clean the machine? ...
Who says, supposed to use? The people that sell the stuff?

I have used washing machines for years and never, ever used descaling powder. That includes living with that famously hard London water.
Old 30th June 2016, 22:10   #6041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Who says, supposed to use? The people that sell the stuff?

I have used washing machines for years and never, ever used descaling powder. That includes living with that famously hard London water.
Likewise, I hv used my Siemens washing mc for 10+ yrs without any 'descaling', but this is in Mumbai.

In Chennai, where water is much harder, my mom has a Whirlpool and they have advised descaling - we do it every 6 months or so. I would do so because we do see how the water affects any steel, including taps & sanitary fittings.

Its not so much the machine as the quality of water you are using.
Old 1st July 2016, 15:11   #6042
Senior - BHPian

Normally descaling is rarely required in a washing machine, but the manufacturers try to push the product.

An age old remedy is to pour half a cup of vinegar in the soap dispenser and then run the machine without any clothes (you can add rags and other pieces of useless cloth pieces to give some mechanical scrub power), and run the machine at full cycle (without heater if you have one).
Old 13th July 2016, 11:38   #6043
BANNED

Descaling powders are nothing but bleaching powders what I think. Do it only if you can see visible deposit and scaling on rubbers and the steel vessel inside. I am using a Bosch for last 5 year, only done once when got push sell by the guy for the first time.

Anyway, coming to my query, I am in market for a refrigerator with bigger capacity, I am looking for 400L or upward, but not the side by side door ones. My need is enough space inside for items and not fancy stuff like water chiller etc etc. So my preference would be a multi door with separate deep fridge, vegetable area and regular fridge area, may be a 3 or 4 doors.
Do we get those products in India, because all i see here above certain capacity are side by side door and not one over the other.
Any suggestion on these products? I am not worried about service center as all brands have outsourced their services and mostly handled by 1 or 2 companies.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 13th July 2016 at 11:56. Reason: Added some question
Old 13th July 2016, 14:30   #6044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Descaling powders are nothing but bleaching powders what I think. ... ... ...
I can't remember the chemistry, but the scale is some sort of lime (calcium?) deposit. It forms in UK hard-water areas in hot-water pipes and water heaters to the extent that it can clog a pipe completely. If you ever took apart decades-old plumbing there, you'd be astonished at how little water might have been getting through!
Old 13th July 2016, 15:11   #6045
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I can't remember the chemistry, but the scale is some sort of lime (calcium?) deposit.
chemistry is misery for me. Now after you explanation I realize it should not be bleaching powder rather than some acidic substance.

Coming back to washing machine, what I got in my machine does not look like sodium deposit, but some metallic deposit as the color was reddish.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks