Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 21st December 2012, 11:05   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?!

quick question: i've to buy a 1TB internal HDD for my dad for general use. should i go for WD Caviar Green 1 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD10EARX) or Seagate Barracuda 1 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (ST31000524AS)?
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 11:08   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Are you talking about the one near SP road on the 2nd floor of a dingy building? I have had bad experiences with them as well.
Yes, Accel Care center. Seriously worse than a Government organisation as far as my experience goes. Things are so robotic there. They take the faulty product, give an acknowledgement, and you have to collect it when the replacement comes. Never once they have asked what the problem is, and how it occurs. I guess that would be helpful to the parent company to diagnose faults better, instead of plugging the drive into SeaTools. Not only me, there were many other customers fed up of the drive as well as the service. The manager came out to speak to me, and when I spoke to her about the problem, she told me "Dont create a scene in the public area, come in and talk as there are other customers". Many other people joined me and started scolding the state of affairs. I did not want to make the issue a big thing, so I picked up the drive, wrote a proper mail to Seacare threatening legal action against them. Then they replied as above. On a daily basis, they collect hundred drives, as per the lady sitting there. That itself show how bad things have become. If throughout bangalore, hundred drives are sold in a day, hundred is returned. Take that as two hundred drives are sold, even that makes every second drive faulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
quick question: i've to buy a 1TB internal HDD for my dad for general use. should i go for WD Caviar Green 1 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD10EARX) or Seagate Barracuda 1 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (ST31000524AS)?
Hawk, I am not sure how good WD is, but seagate is bad these days. You would have read my past experiences.

Last edited by audioholic : 21st December 2012 at 11:11.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 11:25   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hawk, I am not sure how good WD is, but seagate is bad these days. You would have read my past experiences.
yeah; i myself have a Seagate 500GB which i now use as a paper weight. unfortunately, it died after the warranty period and all my data was lost

Last edited by IronH4WK : 21st December 2012 at 11:52.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 16:01   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using Transcend 500GB external hdd for the last 3 years with no problem. Once, about a month ago, the file system went RAW
I was very worried because it has some very priceless data in it.
But thankfully I was able to recover about 95% of the files with a recovery software. Thankfully, not yet the mechanics, magnetics or the electronics of the drive have given up. I would rate them better than Seagate whose 160 GB failed in just a little over 2 years.
Just my 2 cents!

Regards.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 22:04   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I woke up to see this mail:
Try suggesting to them that, if they really are interested, they courier a disk to you. You might also try asking where you can send your invoice for the time spent dealing with the service centre!

Don't make a scene: come in the office.

Always resist that one! Shame in public can work; shame in the office never will.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 22:19   #201
Senior - BHPian

Exactly. Cant agree more.The entire experience is so frustrating. The service center is located in the Heart of ancient Bangalore. There is a huge market, selling everything from vegetables to what you cant find anywhere else. And next to that is an electronics hub. Beside is a center for all kinds of machinery, large commodities, construction equipment, and what not. There is traffic, people, trucks, chaos, policemen who run across the road to flag down trucks. Driving a car through this mess is a pain. So I should take my two wheeler. And to find a safe parking for the two wheeler is another problem. They just park bikes next to one another without space. One has to literally pull his two wheeler out of the parking before he can get onto it. All this point out that buying another hard disk would have been a better idea.

Today I had to visit my Computer retailer friend for some purchase and he was having Toshiba hardd disks with him. Think I would give that a try too next time. Have not been contacted by seagate except for that mail. Lets see what happens next.
Old 5th March 2013, 20:14   #202
BHPian

Hello all i need urgent help .

I have a Seagate 500 GB 9SD2A4-500 hard disk . It has been working fine for over an year .

However 2 days back i attached it to the college computer and i got the RECYCLER vires in return .

What it did was create a shortcut folder inside my hard disk in which all my other folders were transferred. So when i would open my external drive from "my computer" i would see a shortcut "seagate" which had all my content. Thought this is not a problem and continued using it, the vires was cleaned by esset later when i connected it to my laptop.

Today i needed to take a print out and headed to the college computer again, however when i came back, i got a Run dll error saying some FAT.32 file was not found and now the shortcut folder within my hardisk will not open.

Please help.
Enigmatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 21:01   #203
Senior - BHPian

Usually the folders that are attacked by the recycler virus are made hidden and then the folders are replaced by shortcuts. So, all your data will remain hidden in the folder. Enable show hidden files and protected operating files. You may get back the data, if the shortcuts have been removed by the antivirus.

By the way, after a long battle with seagate, which was stated previously, on the 1st of February, I was contacted by an employee of Accel Care, apologising for all that has happened and to return my drive, so that they would hand me over a new build. Seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, I returned the drive. Until then, this chap was promptly replying to the mails. Once I returned the drive, it was the opposite.

What pissed me off was the way they handle things. After returning, he promised to replace within a week. After that, I did not think about the issue until two weeks. Again contacted this guy. Got a vague reply in SMS language - "Drive nt in stock. wil nfrm u 1ce it is avl." I blasted them asking why they took my drive if they didn't have a replacement in stock. Did not get a reply. Repeated the same a week after that. Same old reply. Four days back, was about to call him, but before that sent a very harsh mail to him. Asked him if they were so useless to even think before acting up. Immediately got a reply that he would arrange for the drive asap.

Then after repeated questioning he informed I will be getting the drive on Monday, ie yesterday. This time he promised there won't be delays. Yesterday The drive was still in transit. Went and collected the drive today. It was a new drive of a later version.

However, my opinion about Seagate remains unchanged. No more of them. Even if it is at the cost of another failed driveof another brand.
Old 5th March 2013, 22:56   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Usually the folders that are attacked by the recycler virus are made hidden and then the folders are replaced by shortcuts. So, all your data will remain hidden in the folder. Enable show hidden files and protected operating files. You may get back the data, if the shortcuts have been removed by the antivirus.
Thanks for the prompt reply, let me try and explain the situation a bit better.

This is what "my computer" looks like :-

Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?!-capture.jpg

This is what my external hard-disk looks like :-

Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?!-capture-1.jpg

Earlier i was able to open the shortcut and browse all my files which were all intact and had not been created into folders. Everything was in order past the shorcut.

However now when i try and open the shorcut, i get the following error :-

Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?!-capture-2.jpg

Someone please help, I have a lot of Important data on my external hard-disk.

Last edited by Enigmatic : 5th March 2013 at 22:58.
Old 5th March 2013, 23:18   #205
Senior - BHPian

Go to folder options, enable 'Show hidden files and folders' and you must be able to access the folder which you are looking for. Thats the workaround I follow when attacked by the recycler virus.
Old 5th March 2013, 23:27   #206
Senior - BHPian

Well, my 72GB partition on Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 is having cyclic redundancy error, and I have 63GB data in it. Any ways to recover it ?

Tried the Easus partition manager, but it shows that no space is unallocated and hence cannot repair the partition.

I am really struck since last 2 months.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 23:35   #207
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Someone please help, I have a lot of Important data on my external hard-disk.
Hi Enigmatic,

Start by doing the following.

1. Download and install Kaspersky Pure trial Edition (30 days)
2. Install it and update it.
3. Run a full system scan. It will do an advanced disinfection.
4. To get back your files, follow this process.
6. press "alt" when you have your "computer" or "My computer" open.This is to access tools>folder option
7. Under the folder options menu, go under view tab, check the "show hidden files & folders" radio button.
8. Next, go and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" - This step is dependent on the type of virus. By now your files/folders should be visible.
9. To restore any modified system files, open command prompt with administrative rights. start menu>all programs>accessories>Command Prompt right click on command prompt and "run as administrator".
10. Use this command without the quotes "sfc /scannow"

If this doesn't solve the issue, install teamviewer and i'll assist you myself .
Arch-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 23:40   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Hi Enigmatic,

Start by doing the following.

1. Download and install Kaspersky Pure trial Edition (30 days)
2. Install it and update it.
3. Run a full system scan. It will do an advanced disinfection.
4. To get back your files, follow this process.
6. press "alt" when you have your "computer" or "My computer" open.This is to access tools>folder option
7. Under the folder options menu, go under view tab, check the "show hidden files & folders" radio button.
8. Next, go and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" - This step is dependent on the type of virus. By now your files/folders should be visible.
9. To restore any modified system files, open command prompt with administrative rights. start menu>all programs>accessories>Command Prompt right click on command prompt and "run as administrator".
10. Use this command without the quotes "sfc /scannow"

If this doesn't solve the issue, install teamviewer and i'll assist you myself .
Thank you so much "Angel", im downloading Kaspersky right now, will update you on the same after following 1 to 10.
Old 17th April 2013, 01:09   #209
BHPian

Quote:

However, my opinion about Seagate remains unchanged. No more of them. Even if it is at the cost of another failed driveof another brand.
Oh man thats horrible. Ive heard western digital has a better pick up and drop service.

A few minutes ago, i discovered that my Seagate FreeAgent desk 1TB is not working anymore. Ive a feeling its the power supply cable thats gone kaput as nothing seems to be happening when I plug in the cable. Earlier a small whine used to come indicating the drive is active.
The USB cable seems to be ok though.

Now your experience has put me in dilemma what to do whether to visit the service centre waste my time and money or search for the adapter in some computer store?

All my family photographs, videos everything was on the drive. It was bought 2 years back. Dont recall how long the warranty was.

Any idea though where I can get seagate power adapters separately?

Will update if any progress is made tomorrow.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 17th April 2013 at 01:18.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 10:40   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello bhpians,

I am on a look out for a 1TB external HDD. I need this to take a back up of my Transcend 500GB storejet.

Which drive would you guys recommend? It should run on USB2.0 & of course should be reliable. I have been using transcend for last few years and apart from one filesystem corruption, I haven't faced any other / hardware related issue. Can I go for transcend again?

Please recommend.

Thanks,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 17th April 2013 at 10:52.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote