Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 21st July 2014, 00:01   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?!

Since my little accident, I keep two backups, one at a different location, and I do a backup every time I add data of any value. My routine would not do for business, but it covers me.

Leave that disk copying off, for a few days. As long as it takes, so long as you can see something happening --- or pay Stellar's astronomical fee. I had a similar quote, for a physically-dead disk, but there was only thee months data at stake.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 16:09   #227
BHPian

Folks I am looking for a professional Data Recovery vendor in Bangalore.My 2.5 inch WD Blue Hard Drive is not getting detected.I have tried every possible way/trick to recover data that is available online like data recovery softwares to changing cables to using external Hard Drive Casing.The hard drive just doesn't get detected.So now I am only left with the option of a professional support like Stellar.If anyone has first hand experience or have any idea about the same please suggest.I have lost almost 37000 images and about 10 gb of important documents.Rest of the data is relatively of less importance.Please Suggest!
Redline Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 19:06   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

When I took my HDD to Stellar, it had already been diagnosed as having a failed head. It was a clean-room open-the-case job, and, as mentioned, Stellar do this work, but at enormous cost. Your loss may make that worthwhile. I'm sure I don't need to mention backups: there is nothing like a lesson learned the hard, painful, expensive way.

Do not loose heart before you have got a diagnosis. Electronics and controller-board problems should be very much cheaper to deal with. I don't know if Stellar are expensive for this work too. I first took my HDD to a much smaller lab who gave the same diagnosis, but whose facilities did not extend to case-interior clean-room work anyway. At both places, the diagnosis and quote was given free.
Old 15th September 2014, 19:27   #229
BHPian

I had a bought a 1 TB Seagate Backup Plus External HDD last April. In August it stopped working on my Win XP PC. Luckily it was recognised on the Win 7 PC and I was able to reclaim all except the last 2 days worth of data.

Seagate's service centre accepted the drive without question. In 7 days I got an SMS informing me that a replacement is ready. On saturday I picked up the replacement. It seems to be a 'repaired' HDD of same specification. This one is made in Thailand, earlier one was made in China. There are couple of very very slight external differences but its the same model. So far it seems to be working now. Here is a photo of the 'Recertified' logo printed onto the anterior of the drive.

Name:  IMG_3554.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  32.8 KB

Fortunately I always keep a second backup drive so data loss was minimal. Nonetheless the nonchalance with which the service centre dismisses talk of data recovery is annoying. If someone loses data due to what is essentially a manufacturer defect the least that can be done is to try to recover some if not all of the corrupt data. Leaving aside clean room cases Im sure a majority of 'crashes' can permit for software based recovery which is not difficult to do.
Kumar R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 16:11   #230
Senior - BHPian

Name:  HDD.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  137.4 KB

Name:  HDDSide.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  117.5 KB

My old laptop went dead (motherboard issue) and I need some data from the HDD.
I have attached pictures of the HDD I found in the laptop.

I was wondering what is the cheapest thing I could buy on Flipkart/Amazon which would allow me to read data from this? If it allows me to use it as an external HDD, that would be good but not necessary (if the cost difference is too high).

Also, is there any way of verifying this HDD is not spoiled or anything before buying any accessory?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 16:45   #231
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

I was wondering what is the cheapest thing I could buy on Flipkart/Amazon...
It is quite easy

Try this connector http://www.shopclues.com/usb-2.0-to-...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

or

this casing http://www.ebay.in/itm/EXTERNAL-USB-...p2054897.l5658

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 17:58   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Will any casing fit my HDD? Or are there size issues?

In general, what is better - just the cable or the casing? Or is it just a matter of preference?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 13:32   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Will any casing fit my HDD?
Yes, there is size issue. This case is for 2.5 inch laptop hard-disks.

Between connector and case, it is a matter of preference and convenience.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 16:59   #234
BHPian

It looks like a standard IDE HDD or PATA HDD as it is called these days. Only the connector for the flat cable and power socket seem different. From your picture it seems that you should be able to pull out the 40 pin connector and attach a flat IDE cable directly. For power you can solder the +5,GND,GND,+12 from the SMPS and read the drive on any motherboard with IDE port.
techiecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 19:20   #235
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Need to recover Data from my Extnl 200 GB USB Hard Disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Hey ppl.

I had bought a 200 Gb Extnl Seagate hard disk about an year back and it had loads of useful information on it. All top gear videos, my Camera pics, About 25 Gigs of Mp3, must have movies Etc. The disk was almost full!!

I connect the hard disk to my PC and laptop using the USB inputs.

whenever i connect the extnl hard disk each of the partition is scannes and assigned a drive name ( g,h, i ..)

Recently i found that one of the 60 Gb partition out of the 3 partitions ( 60+60+80) was having some problem while the system was trying to access the data which has rendered all the partitions useless.

I cannot access any of my priceless data.

Can anybody suggest/help me recover my data.
I have a feeling the drive has either developed bad sectors and is dying. Better get whatever data you can off that drive. Use software like Stellar Phoenix, Get Data Back or Recuva to recreate the partition tables and recover files. This is a time consuming job but if the data is precious you'll have to bear with it.

Also, DO NOT write any data to the drive or attempt to modify the partition tables manually rom this moment on. All recovered data must be copied to another physical hard disk.

You last option is a data recovery agency. Stellar Phoenix (the same sw. author mentioned above) is recommended but they can get very expensive.

Do not trust hard drives or storage media. In my decades of experience I know it's only a matter of time before they fail. That goes for both HDDs, Laptop HDDs, CDs, DVDs and even SSDs. So I have 3 levels of backup including one Cloud based.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 12:19   #236
BHPian

Default dead HDD

Portable HDD's (at least the ones which are not Solid state) are not meant to be ported a lot. They are delicate, complicated machines which can be compared to the nascent baby inside the womb. Any dislocation can be fatal with losses.

Given the intro, let me now brief my experience of using a portable. I had a Seagate 320 GB (momentus 5400.6) which boasts anti shock protection upto 1000Gs. Used mainly for porting media files around and backup. It was quite a deal in 2010 as my laptop then had only 160 GB HDD.

"G-Force protection : When a laptop is dropped, the most catastrophic damage to the hard drive occurs when the head scrapes across the surface of the disk, causing potential data loss. The G-Force Protection feature, an optional drop sensor, protects the Momentus 5400.6 drive against shock by sensing when the system is in a free-fall state, moving the heads off the platter and locking them in place—all within three-tenths of a second."

Once, only once I got little carefree with this loyal device (thanks to my 1 yr old) and it slipped to land vertically onto the floor. Now what Gs are we talking about perhaps .05G. Well that was good enough to toss up the head & platter. As this was my main backup & distraught, I reached out to some support and realized that full data recovery is at about 10X price of the HDD.

My research in internet showed up that Sound is critical to determine the issue. Mine was a spin-click-click-off sequence.

Nevertheless I tried opening up the disk. In case you are trying, you will need a T6 screwdriver for this. Green-clean room is slightly an overstatement; just ensure the room is free of particulates. The idea is if there is a spindle lock situation which arises of sudden shock, the silly head can get stuck on to the platter head(the rotating disc). Slight dislodgement will help resolve the lock situation and at best you can continue use the HDD with some bad sectors.

Quite to my agony, the head was in place and there was no case of stuck head.

What strikes me is that the disc platter looks intact; Quite possible that 95%+ sectors are available. The device electronics is responding. Now why should I just scrap it? Can I do anything to resurrect it?
anoop.nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 16:23   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: dead HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.nair View Post
What strikes me is that the disc platter looks intact; Quite possible that 95%+ sectors are available. The device electronics is responding. Now why should I just scrap it? Can I do anything to resurrect it?
You should be deliriously happy if you can retrieve any of the data. Managing to disassemble it and make it work again is quite an achievement: well done! But please do not rely on it from this moment on.

Hard discs should be replaced as soon as there is any suspicion that something may be going wrong. Copy the data off while you still can.

My last piece of advice: have two external backups, and keep one in different location, rotating them as often as your changing data requires. And do not keep your backup hdd connected to the main machine. If your internal disc is lost to a power surge, you don't want to loose you close-to-hand backup as well.

Which reminds me... backup time!
Old 11th May 2016, 10:29   #238
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Just a tip: With cloud storage being so cheap, if you lose data today, you only have yourself to blame. Use Dropbox, Google Drive etc. not only for sharing, but even for backing up online. In real-time.

If you have privacy concerns, simply use encryption with solutions such as Boxcryptor. But I find it hard to believe that people lose data today because their hard-drive crashed.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 17:23   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just a tip: With cloud storage being so cheap, if you lose data today, you only have yourself to blame.
Whether it is commercial or personal, I do not believe in "cloud" storage as a primary data location, or even as a primary backup location.

I feel very strongly that data should be under one's own actual physical control. As an ex IT Manager, I believe that it is irresponsible to put it under the control of others.Of course, I'm bucking the trend here, but, in my view, this trend is just a marketing success. Plenty of IT directors have a career based on a foundation made of cow excrement, and are all too ready to listen to marketing men that speak the same language.

Long before they thought of calling it The Cloud, I badly wanted to implement such a scheme as part of our companies resources. It would not have replaced our own tapes, on- and off-site and it would never have replaced our own hard disks in our own machines, but it would have been a fantastic part of the whole picture and would have made restores so quick and easy. I could not, partly because the service was then too expensive and partly because the necessary bandwidth, then, would have had a fantastic cost.

Which leads into why I don't use such services as ancilliary backup today. The incremental backups would be moderately easy, although something like a system backup from the PC or a nandroid backup from the phone can come to five gig --- it is getting started that is the big problem.

I have an 8Mb/sec broadband connection, with a FUP cap of 80Gb per month. How do I get my first terrabyte uploaded? And my data collection of pictures, music documents etc is very modest compares to that of man many others. I don't even have one HD movie on my disc (I don't watch movies), what about the guy who has a couple of hundred!.
Old 11th May 2016, 19:58   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have an 8Mb/sec broadband connection, with a FUP cap of 80Gb per month. How do I get my first terrabyte uploaded? ....
This 8Mb/sec speed is misleading (in India). Connections here may provide the promised download speed but the upload speeds are very very poor.
Mine is a 5Mb/sec connection and here is the test result:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5317076663

I would imagine you achieve about 1.5Mbps upload speed with your 8Mbps connection.
The cloud is largely fantasy for users in India.

Last edited by anupmathur : 11th May 2016 at 20:01.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote