Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th September 2017, 14:56   #256
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default re: Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?

One of families hard disk was not recognised so tried 1-2 location for recovery but they said not recognised so I paid inspection charges of 700 and gave Stellar for recovery. They gave a ghastly ~35K+GST estimation. I refused and asked them to return the disk. Surprisingly they asked what is your budget for which i scolded their business practice of quoting based on work not on customers budget and asked them to return.
A lesson learnt about the vulture culture on others agony
bullock-Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 15:33   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
One of families hard disk was not recognised so tried 1-2 location for recovery but they said not recognised so I paid inspection charges of 700 and gave Stellar for recovery. They gave a ghastly ~35K+GST estimation. I refused and asked them to return the disk. Surprisingly they asked what is your budget for which i scolded their business practice of quoting based on work not on customers budget and asked them to return.
A lesson learnt about the vulture culture on others agony
Been there, done that and also had to say no thanks. But I'm afraid that I disagree with you: If they have to disassemble your disk and possibly access the contents even though its own read heads may be dead, then they do need facilities and skills that require a large investment. Although we were both shocked at the price quoted, on reflection, I find it more acceptable.

I wonder, though... if they asked your budget, ie what can you afford, they might have been prepared to do something at low cost for a suffering individual rather than charge the rate normal for their mostly-commercial customers. Just a thought.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 11:16   #258
Senior - BHPian

Default Recover Data from Broken and Damaged Sandisk Cruzer Switch Pen Drive.

Mods, Sorry for creating New Topic on USB Drive. Please merge with existing suitable one.

I have a Sandisk Cruzer Switch 16GB USB Pen Drive. The Drive has important data on it. But I was lazy to take backup of the same on other drive.
And the unfortunate incident happened. The Drive suddenly stopped working.
It used to show Unknown Device in Device Manager. I checked on different OS (Win XP Professional) on Office Desktop PC other than my Home Laptop running Win 7 Professional (the Sandisk stopped working while it was connected to Laptop.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Drivers on Laptop. Even tried formatting the Laptop but in vain.

Later my BIL found that the Drive's Connecting Terminals (the four lines inside the USB Port) have got damaged due to thousands of removing and reinserting the Drive in PCs till date.

My BIL tried to re-solder the Wires on his own. Big Mistake. One of the Data Terminal had thin Copper Plate and as destiny has its own will, while re-soldering, the Terminal melted.

Fellow Bhpians, please guide on how to recover the data in this case.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 18:59   #259
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Recover Data from Broken and Damaged Sandisk Cruzer Switch Pen Drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
My BIL tried to re-solder the Wires on his own. Big Mistake. One of the Data Terminal had thin Copper Plate and as destiny has its own will, while re-soldering, the Terminal melted.
I think the USB drive had already failed ('unknown device' in Device Manager can point to a hardware fault) & the re-soldering process only served to physically damage it further.

What you can do is take it to a electronic tech, who are generally skilled at soldering small semi-conductors and check if you could solder a USB male wire lead to the circuit board and then plug that into a USB port on your PC. This may help you recover your data assuming the memory chip and controller are functional.

The USB pin out schematic is here: Schematic

Obviously the biggest lesson you've learned is to backup your data regularly. Never trust a storage device to retain data or function indefinitely. They all fail some day. And the solder-at-home experiment also voids any device warranty, lifetime or otherwise.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th November 2017 at 19:04.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 19:10   #260
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Recover Data from Broken and Damaged Sandisk Cruzer Switch Pen Drive.

Depends on where the damage is. Check this video. If this is what your problem is, it is fixable even at home. Just needs the same soldering skill.

VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 10:59   #261
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I have a Sandisk Cruzer Switch 16GB USB Pen Drive. The Drive has important data on it.
For future reference = the new Google Drive (called Backup & Sync) can also backup data from USB drives into the cloud. Use it.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote