Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th September 2017, 14:56   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?!

One of families hard disk was not recognised so tried 1-2 location for recovery but they said not recognised so I paid inspection charges of 700 and gave Stellar for recovery. They gave a ghastly ~35K+GST estimation. I refused and asked them to return the disk. Surprisingly they asked what is your budget for which i scolded their business practice of quoting based on work not on customers budget and asked them to return.
A lesson learnt about the vulture culture on others agony
bullock-Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 15:33   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
One of families hard disk was not recognised so tried 1-2 location for recovery but they said not recognised so I paid inspection charges of 700 and gave Stellar for recovery. They gave a ghastly ~35K+GST estimation. I refused and asked them to return the disk. Surprisingly they asked what is your budget for which i scolded their business practice of quoting based on work not on customers budget and asked them to return.
A lesson learnt about the vulture culture on others agony
Been there, done that and also had to say no thanks. But I'm afraid that I disagree with you: If they have to disassemble your disk and possibly access the contents even though its own read heads may be dead, then they do need facilities and skills that require a large investment. Although we were both shocked at the price quoted, on reflection, I find it more acceptable.

I wonder, though... if they asked your budget, ie what can you afford, they might have been prepared to do something at low cost for a suffering individual rather than charge the rate normal for their mostly-commercial customers. Just a thought.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote