Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 13th May 2007, 11:57   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

lurker, thanks for that detailed commercial info on how to buy Cowon brand MP3 players. But the man needs an iPod.
Why would he pay more for a no-brand MP3 player with less capacity?

Anyways, I hope we do not get into a discussion and comparo on MP3 players.

Whatcanthisbe - You will be able to buy an iPod 2 ways. One - go to ravissant at new friends or gurgaon or iWorld at ansal plaza. Both these places will sell you any iPod with a bill and possibly an extended warranty.
The second way, is to go to any gadget store, Like gizmo world at yusuf something, satnam at GK-1, and many more where you stay and pay much lesser. Here you can buy with no bill, but the stores will give you packed, brand new original iPods. If you go to gizmo world, you can tell them you're my friend and you will get a good price.

The 3rd is that you go to that basement place, full of smuggled gadgets (I forgot the name, something market) and bargain and hope for the best. I don't recommend this way.

In all 3 cases, if you buy an original unregistered (previously) iPod, you will have apple's worldwide warranty, also valid in India. One Year.

Good luck and enjoy your music.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 12:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I have a question.
Does it make sense to go for an IPod and pay premium over 2-3k over similar capacity MP3 players like Transcend, Creative etc. ? Or rather buy something from Creative/Transcend and have a good pair of earphones. I was looking at the following config:
Transcend T.Sonic 610 1GB + Creative EP-630 earphones.
Will it give me inferior quality compared to the iPod?
Or is it the iPod has just greater snob value?
I will answer you, in detail.

As an MP3 player (leaving aside the social value of an iPod) the iPod is a wonderful product, with great build quality and an incredibly simple user-interface, very typical of Apple Computer Inc.

Apart from the great build quality and worldwide warranty (you can walk into any apple store anywhere in the world and ask for repair, solely based on your serial number, no bill required), the iPod has placed itself apart from the genre of other MP3 players.
I do not find the iPod to be 20% more than creative or sony.

Do not forget, that though there are branded MP3 players from iRiver and Creative, there are a SCORE of chinese no-brand players that work as well as the creative, for example.

Lastly, do not forget the parallel economy. In most other MP3 players, the most you can buy is a pair of earphones. With the iPod you are able to buy a million zillion interfaces, gadgets, enhancements and fashion.
Cars like BMW and many others come iPod ready. Companies like JBL produce an entire line of products iPod specific only.

Its a culture DCEite. And I definitely think, worth paying a little more for.

Here let me show you the limits of iPod enhancements, this one's for them ladies.

Convinced yet?

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th May 2007 at 12:06.
Old 13th May 2007, 12:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the nice explanation, Sam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Here let me show you the limits of iPod enhancements, this one's for them ladies.

Convinced yet?
I like the OhMiBod. Nice gift for girlfriends
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 12:19   #19
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
Convinced yet?
LOL...or should I say nice acsexory..(thats what I saw on the weblink)..

The ipod is definitely a good buy and you are purchasing one of the top ten gadgets in the world (how good is that to brag about, if you do that is)

It sound loud and good (the mp3 player with inarguably the best sound quality(dont blame me thats what i read before purchasing on numerous websites and magazines) the earphones are good but you can go for better ones though, the interface is just excellent with the touch wheel.

and of course the snob value ( not much of a snob value now I guess)

Iam not in to accessorizing the ipod except a charger and a arm band..still you have a zillion choices if you want to..and choice

Now...the problem indeed is the choice itself, one which would not be present without the very predication of the anomaly, the remainder, the incalculable sense of hope, but also the endlessly deferred affirmative difference
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 12:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
Now...the problem indeed is the choice itself, one which would not be present without the very predication of the anomaly, the remainder, the incalculable sense of hope, but also the endlessly deferred affirmative difference
I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure.
Old 13th May 2007, 12:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

>> Why would he pay more for a no-brand MP3 player with less capacity?

a 'no brand' player....lol, that's a bit cocky !

Actually iaudio sound quality is far better than iriver or ipod's. I have all 3 with me.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 12:47   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I am sorry, I didn't mean to offend or be cocky. I didn't know iAudio or Cowon is a big brand. Lack of experience I guess.

Besides it had better be better sounding. Considering i can buy a 30GB iPod for less than a 2 gb icowon.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th May 2007 at 12:50.
Old 13th May 2007, 13:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
JPL stands for Jumbled & Purposeless Literature?

@ the originator of the thread - whats the confusion? Just go out and buy that iPod. I havent heard of anyone that has regretted a purchase!

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th May 2007 at 13:12.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 14:42   #24
BANNED

Maybe the iPod is an over hyped product. But that doesn't mean it is bad.
It is a very good MP3 player with unlimited amount of accessories available thru out the world.
It can be used as a primary music storage device. There're a few negative points but those won't make the owner feel very bad.

Ok, I am happy with mine.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 15:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a question.
Does it make sense to go for an IPod and pay premium over 2-3k over similar capacity MP3 players like Transcend, Creative etc. ? Or rather buy something from Creative/Transcend and have a good pair of earphones. I was looking at the following config:
If money is no object, get an ipod and the EP 630 .
BUT
I have a Transcend T 610 1GB and an EP 630 .
Its sound quality is in no way inferior to the ipod. In fact id drives both my EP 630 and my philips HP 805 to full volume levels without distortion.
and then there are some not immediately apparent benefits.
It works as a USB storage device. no conversion required , drag and drop.
also no specific drivers required. and i can transfer stuff to/ from it using a usb to mini usb data cable (same as found with most digicams and some newer cellphones like the moto RAZR/SLVR etc , not to mention the nokia 5200/5300)
can also charge the player with the charger/ USB

Cons:
slow file navigation (esp when the 2GB is filled up )
smaller screen
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 21:59   #26
JPL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
JPL stands for Jumbled & Purposeless Literature?
Nopes it does not mean that. Just trying to quote from the matrix in this context. again from the matrix "We are all here to do what we are all here to do..." and "We can never see past the choices we don't understand"

and also...

The ipod is definitely a good buy and you are purchasing one of the top ten gadgets in the world (how good is that to brag about, if you do that is)

It sound loud and good (the mp3 player with inarguably the best sound quality(dont blame me thats what i read before purchasing on numerous websites and magazines) the earphones are good but you can go for better ones though, the interface is just excellent with the touch wheel.

and of course the snob value ( not much of a snob value now I guess)
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 22:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure.
Amen. The MATRIX has me too
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 22:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nopes it does not mean that. Just trying to quote from the matrix in this context. again from the matrix "We are all here to do what we are all here to do..." and "We can never see past the choices we don't understand"
Completely over the top.......totally.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 23:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it make sense to go for an IPod and pay premium over 2-3k over similar capacity MP3 players like Transcend, Creative etc. ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
If you want the best sound quality from your MP3 or PMP then go for iaudio/Cowon.

They have recently launched their D2 player in India. Do a google to find out how it looks like.

Price is 13,000 for 2 GB and 15,000 for 4 GB.

And you thought that the ipod was expensive.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 00:22   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I have a question.
Depending on the budget, the best audio-centric portable setup for me would be -
Creative Zen Vision:M + Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 or
Creative Zen Vision:M + Koss KSC 75
.. a video-centric setup would have the same headphones, albeit with the Cowon iAudio A2 30GB.

And yes, I believe the iPod just has snob value .. Just do a feature comparison with, say, the Zen Vision:M or even the iAudio X5 and you'll know. dapreview.net, epizenter.net, Anything But iPod - MP3 Player Reviews & News and USB - 2.0, port, Hi-Speed, Wireless, OTG - Everything USB would be good places to research.

Last edited by etchemkay : 14th May 2007 at 00:26.
etchemkay is offline   Reply With Quote