Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 12th May 2007, 15:51   #1
BHPian

Default projector is it worth for HTS

I would like to know whether a Projector is worth it for a home theatre setup (HTS)

My needs
  • View large screen
  • not interested in counting or knowing the pixel strength (what i saw at a demo was something I liked and it looked good) OR is there something of resolution funda in this too. enlighten pls.
  • will be using a sony or some other make of audio for the HTS
would like to know whats the pros and cons of this kind of setup.

could not get the right info to this on the forum search.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 12th May 2007 at 15:53.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 18:03   #2
BHPian

Post edited : Please do not use other word-processors to type your post. The end result is incompatible formatting - Team-BHP Support

Hi 2fast4u,

If you're going in for an OHP for HTS then you need to have a room which is darkened enough for the OHP to function properly & the wall large enough for 60"/80" screen.You need to decide whether you will be going in for an LCD or DLP based projector.LCOS (Liquid on crystal display) is making its presence felt too..It would be a better idea to have the projector beam on to a white screen insptead of a wall. The life of the projector lamp is max. 3000 hrs. After that it needs replacement & is an expensive component to replace..

LCD projectors usually contain three separate LCD glass panels, one each for the red, green, and blue components of the video signal. As light passes through the LCD panels, individual pixels ("picture elements") can be opened to allow light to pass, or closed to block the light, as if each little pixel were fitted with a Venetian blind. This activity modulates the light and produces the image that is projected onto the screen.

DLP (Digital Light Processing) is a proprietary technology developed by Texas Instruments. It works quite differently than LCD. Instead of having glass panels through which light is passed, the DLP chip is a reflective surface made up of thousands of tiny mirrors. Each mirror represents a single pixel. In a DLP projector, light from the projector's lamp is directed onto the surface of the DLP chip. The mirrors wobble back and forth, directing light either into the lens path to turn the pixel on, or away from the lens path to turn it off.

LCD projectors usually produce significantly higher ANSI lumen outputs than do DLPs with the same wattage lamp. When [FONT=Arial]it comes to contrast and black levels, LCD still lags behind DLP overall. But LCD is showing impressive new strength in contrast and black level capability.[FONT=Arial]DLP continues to be exceptionally strong in entry level video and home theater market & I would recommend looking at a good DLP based projector for HTS.

If there is anything specfic you're looking for?? Like a brand/model then do let us know..BTW what is the kind of budget you have??

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2007 at 12:02. Reason: FONT tags. Please do NOT use other word-processors to type your post!
AshOnTheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 11:24   #3
BHPian

Thanks ash
That was very infromative.
I have not decided on a budget or a brand as yet. I am in the process of getting info and analysing the features, brand will not be overlooked as I will need service, budgetmaybe is approx $1500 to 2

I saw this setup (Dark Room, white wall, Projector, DVD with 5.1) at my friends place and after having seen many normal home Theatre systems I found this to be the best as it was an instant feel of the theatre mode. I feel Plasma whether its 60" (although i dont have a budget for that) coupled with best Sound also does not make the impact as when viewing I found myself looking at either the speakers or some wall painting etc etc. during some not so interesting clips.

this friends setup made the final statement. So I have decided if its a movie that I need to watch I would use this.

I will be grateful if you can let me know the websites and brands that need to be looked at and also ur valuable suggestions.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 13th May 2007 at 11:31.
Old 13th May 2007, 14:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Thanks ash
That was very infromative.
I have not decided on a budget or a brand as yet. I am in the process of getting info and analysing the features, brand will not be overlooked as I will need service, budgetmaybe is approx $1500 to 2

I saw this setup (Dark Room, white wall, Projector, DVD with 5.1) at my friends place and after having seen many normal home Theatre systems I found this to be the best as it was an instant feel of the theatre mode. I feel Plasma whether its 60" (although i dont have a budget for that) coupled with best Sound also does not make the impact as when viewing I found myself looking at either the speakers or some wall painting etc etc. during some not so interesting clips.

this friends setup made the final statement. So I have decided if its a movie that I need to watch I would use this.

I will be grateful if you can let me know the websites and brands that need to be looked at and also ur valuable suggestions.
Hi 2fast4u,

budget is someting that you'll have to define before you go out in the market in search of the projector..The budget IMO needs to be atleast $2500 - 3000+ to get a decent projector..There's a wide choice of projectors out there.

The one to likely to fit your budget would be Infocus(IN 72/IN74/IN76(IN 2.5L)/IN4805), Optoma (H27/H79/Movietime),BenQ(PE5120/PE7700),Sharp(XV-Z3000/Z2000),Hitachi(PJ-TX300/TX-100),HP (ep7122). Panasonic(PT-AE900) & Sony also have very decent projectors..SIM2 - big daddy,great projector brand but pricey...8 feet screen size for the projector should work well in a darkened room. You need to have a good source - DVD player & a good 5.1 speaker system will complete the home theatre set up..Good luck in your search for a perfect HTS set up with projector..You're going to enjoy your movies & gaming if your into games when you get the projector.
AshOnTheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 22:41   #5
BHPian

I'd say go for it. Before I bought mine I'd spent about a month on researching over the net and had my criteria's fixed. When I went to the showroom, all research fell apart. Though technically I'd felt that a DLP was the one to go for, of the models in display I ultimately picked up a Sony as its picture clarity far surpassed the others. The best part was that based on my evaluations criteria, the Sony didn't even qualify. It's been over 4 years now and things may have changed, but I'd say go by your actual experience rather than the stats.

Ceiling mount it, have a good sound system and most importantly a recliner. What else would one want.
rpanicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2007, 00:53   #6
BHPian

IMO.. The optoma is the best bet for a DLP projector. They have very good service backup in India, and the picture is stunning. Look at the HD72i or the HD73. They are priced at 78000 and 95000. Both are extremely good. Digipro is the official distributor for optoma in India. They also sell screens and projector stands.
Visit their website Digipro India and you can call them and inquire.
Cheerss
EVO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 15:04   #7
BHPian

Default finally BENQ

finally I got myself a BENQ MP611c
got it ceiling mounted and I am really thrilled with the sound effect NOW has an awesome effect (when things look big the same sound lets u have goosebumps). just love this.

my collection of VHS & cds which was until now just a collection have started a line up for the thrill factor. the kids too excited seeing Jurassic Park and her favorite cartoons.