Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 5th July 2008, 20:09   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
mmm... I doubt Vista SP1/2008 run on the same kernel/core as Win 2003.

Win2003 was way too stable to be compared to XP... but then it had basic feature like uPnP missing which even phones have now-a-days.
Ah my bad- not the same kernel, but vista/ 2008's kernel is based on the 2003's kernel - they took it n built on it.

And u can port any service / driver from xp over to 2003 - hv never used uPnP- always hated it, but am sure it can be ported too!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 20:28   #347
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Just now called up the sales rep and he said the same thing - not available for home users.

Hey HappyWheels, then you can switch to ACER 4720, it comes with out OS, and the performance of the computer is really good.
vinayvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 22:31   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Hey HappyWheels, then you can switch to ACER 4720, it comes with out OS, and the performance of the computer is really good.
Thanks for the suggestion, Vinay, but I have already placed the order for XPS 1530. ETA - 10th July!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 22:55   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Vinay, but I have already placed the order for XPS 1530. ETA - 10th July!
Why dont you try selling the copy of Vista that you have? Whatever price you may get, consider it as a discount on Dell
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 23:07   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Why dont you try selling the copy of Vista that you have? Whatever price you may get, consider it as a discount on Dell
Dell is giving me Vista home edition and I have Vista Ultimate! Do not want to lose the Ultimate edition.

Anyone wants the Home edition???
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2008, 23:10   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dell is giving me Vista home edition and I have Vista Ultimate! Do not want to lose the Ultimate edition.

Anyone wants the Home edition???
Unfortunately, you cannot sell the OEM edition - the license agreement is clear on the point that the OS that is bundled with a computer as OEM will live and die with that computer alone - you cannot even change the motherbord of a computer that has an OEM license and retain the same OS - you need to get a new license!!! No wonder I've never had a license for my desktop - the laptop does, and I didnt have a choice!!!
Old 7th July 2008, 18:36   #352
BHPian

Hi guys I have been trying to install Vista on my desktop on a SATA drive and the setup refuses to recognize the drive I have a SIS mother board and i have dowloaded the drivers as well but to no avail, on POST the BIOS shows the drive as IDE as well, XP recognized the drive, more over Vista recognizes the other IDE drives but not this Drive, Help please

the motherboard is SIS the drive is a Segate 360 GB SATA
whatcanthisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 19:56   #353
Senior - BHPian

Vista supports SATA drive. I suggest you to do 'Load Defaults' in BIOS and try again.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 22:28   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I'm running a similar setup, T8100 Penryn 2.1, 3GB, 250GB SATA but the performance difference between Vista & XP is too vast to ignore. And I know these things can be turned off but the other problem is that everything has been relabelled & moved out of the place which we have been used to from W95 days. I do not like the attempt that they've made to re-invent the wheel when the original one wasn't broken in the first place. It just makes things more irritating for me.
Is you RAM dual channel? (I have 8GB of modules acting as 4GB dual channel) Vista needs dual channel for better aero performance. And the HDD speed also may be different. (Mine is 7200 rpm)

Yes, In vista everything is relabelled and difficult to find if you just look where it is... But the search box in the start menu is such an awesome feature. For example if you don't know where system restore shortcut is, just type in "restore" in the search box and you have the shortcut right there in your start menu!
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 22:38   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Is you RAM dual channel? (I have 8GB of modules acting as 4GB dual channel) Vista needs dual channel for better aero performance. And the HDD speed also may be different. (Mine is 7200 rpm)

Yes, In vista everything is relabelled and difficult to find if you just look where it is... But the search box in the start menu is such an awesome feature. For example if you don't know where system restore shortcut is, just type in "restore" in the search box and you have the shortcut right there in your start menu!
Oh my freakin God...you have 8GB RAM??

What do you do with your computer?
Old 8th July 2008, 22:45   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's nothing - A certain 'Old Man' I'm told has 16GB running on a Mac - and still thirsty for more!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2008, 22:47   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
That's nothing - A certain 'Old Man' I'm told has 16GB running on a Mac - and still thirsty for more!
Looks like I have time travelled 5-7 years onto the future...
Old 9th July 2008, 01:28   #358
Senior - BHPian

Anybody reads keznews.com? it is not a portal per-se, but gathers news from several sites. Try this: Microsofts Midori: Cairo revisited? - KezNews.com and 5 Misunderstood Aspects of Windows 7 - KezNews.com
Old 9th July 2008, 08:04   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Gopz, I have 8 GB of RAM modules, acting as 4 GB dual channel RAM. In essense, I have only 4GB DDR dual channel RAM. []

I can run the host OS (Vista) and two virtal OSs (Vista and XP) together but still the RAM usage is only 50-60 %.

Last edited by clevermax : 9th July 2008 at 08:05.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 09:34   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I can run the host OS (Vista) and two virtal OSs (Vista and XP) together but still the RAM usage is only 50-60 %.
You can XP or a vLite'd install of Vista from the RAM itself - installing the OS in a RAM drive