Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 13th October 2008, 23:53   #376
BHPian

ok so i went ahead with the vista installation. My bad that i chose to install it over my XP, keeping old files, programs, settings intact.
Installation was completed successfully, and the damn thing took a good 3 hours for installation of vista ultimate, on a machine that runs E8500 runnig at 3.8Ghz and 4 gigs 800Mhz performance ram. After installation, it struggled to operate smoothly, giving out pop ups for every single program. And after sometime, the machine just restarted on its own.
Got fed up and installed a fresh copy of Vista Home Premium over the same drive after formatting it - has run pretty smooth till now. Lets see how it works for another 3-4 days and i'll surely update here.
hkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 00:33   #377
SLK
Senior - BHPian

E8500 @ 3.8Ghz! isn't that grossly overclocked?

I run a E8400 @ 3Ghz, and windows 2008 works like a dream, with Aero of course.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 09:26   #378
BHPian

oye SLK, that was a typo. Its clocked at 3.6 Ghz.
Btw, this particular proccy was OC'ed to 5.4Ghz under dry ice by apna own OC guru 'Amey' , so 3.6Ghz is 'kis zaad ki patti ??' LOL
hkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 16:06   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yesterday after browsing internet in my laptop, I closed its lid (it normally goes to sleep) and went to have lunch. After 1 hour or so, I came back only to discover that it was still running. The cooling fan was almost at full speed. I opened the lid and then I could see that it did not go to sleep mode. To see the tasks running, I tried running the task manager, and it didn’t come up, though I could see there was a tray icon.

The system was restarted. But it hung while logging off, as I could not see any HD activity or anything for 5 minutes or more and the monitor kept displaying ‘Logging off’. I had to give a hard reset, and the machine booted up to the login screen. I clicked on my username and logged in by typing the password, and I was greeted with a nice black screen with only a mouse cursor. The HD was whirring for some more time and it also stopped. After few seconds, there started some intermittent HD activity, but the screen still looked the same. This was a black screen and not the usual desktop wallpaper and all I could do was to reset the machine as nothing else responded.
I had to do a factory image restore. Afterwards, all the software which I was using before were reinstalled, and windows and antivius were updated over net. Now the system is back to normal state.

I did and autopsy on why vista crashed and found out the reason. Normally I turn off virus protection before I play any 3D game, in order to speed up performance. I am using Avira and there's no game mode. So after a game session I forgot to turn it on - here started the trouble. Later during the day, I connected my camera to the laptop and double clicked on the drive which was mounted. Then my laptop must have got infected by a virus which was there in the camera because antivirus was turned off. The virus was already there in my camera becuase I had connected the camera the same day to another system which had no antivirus. I scanned the CF card of the camera later and found out the virus in it.

Lesson learnt: Do not keep virus protection turned off if you are connecting any external drives. And do not double click (triggers autorun in most cases) a drive letter which represets a memory stick or external disk - instead right click and give "Explore" or "Open".

Last edited by clevermax : 21st October 2008 at 16:12.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 16:16   #380
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Lesson learnt: Do not keep virus protection turned off if you are connecting any external drives. And do not double click (triggers autorun in most cases) a drive letter which represets a memory stick or external disk - instead right click and give "Explore" or "Open".
Now-a-days viruses don't kill their hosts! otherwise they can't spread. I don't think it would be a virus.

I keep antiviruses off on all my computers bloody hoggers
Old 21st October 2008, 18:47   #381
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Just had a weird problem surfacing on my laptop running on vista last night.

I have two user accounts, one admin and the other guest. Yesterday morning I saved a couple of folders onto the desktop in the guest account. Last night when I logged into the guest account, it said "user profile was unable to load successfully, you have been logged onto a temporary profile" or something like that. On seeing the desktop I realized all the folder I had saved that morning were missing. I searched every folder on the computer, both from the guest account and the admin. I couldn't find them anywhere.

I even searched all the users thoroughly, zilch came out from it. Surprisingly, I am unable to understand how these pics did a vanishing act. Any ways of getting them back? Any help would be appreciated.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 18:54   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Did you check for the folders with Admin login?

Probably this temporary login doesnt have access to view Admin & guest account files & hence you dont see them
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 19:17   #383
SLK
Senior - BHPian

try this
Goto C:\Users >> Guest >> Desktop

Well maybe you would be denied access.

then right click on the guest folder and change the security settings in your admin account's favor. And then you'll be able to access the guest account's desktop folder.

How to change security settings? - go into advanced - and change owner to admin.
Old 21st October 2008, 20:40   #384
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Ok, now I have a small query, Don't know if it has been discussed before.

Unlike XP, in Vista when you do the safely remove procedure for a removable USB drive, Vista doesn't power it down.

In my case my external HDD keeps spinning even if removed by windows vista.

Also, if I plug in my phone (N82) in USB Mass storage mode then even after removing it from windows (and windows says safe to remove), when I unplug the cable it gives me a warrning (everytime) that transfers should be stopped before unplugging and data may have been lost, etc. etc.

Now the data doesn't get lost ever , but the I guess its not good for the health of the USB device specially Harddrive to be unplugged while spinning.

Any workarounds?
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:19   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Ok, now I have a small query, Don't know if it has been discussed before.

Unlike XP, in Vista when you do the safely remove procedure for a removable USB drive, Vista doesn't power it down.
Yes thats true. Bloody Vista... It keeps my external HD too powered when I safely remove it. What I normally do is, I wait for 5 more minutes so that the external HD goes to powersave mode on its own, so it stops spinning but is still powered. Then I remove it. You can try that too.

And most of the time, it doesn't allow a safe removal! It'll say its in use, even after me closing all the programs and turnin off antivirus!
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:29   #386
Senior - BHPian

All HDD have a spin down time of 10 - 20 seconds. This is the reason it keeps spinning. @clevermax - If Vista says the drive is still in use then most of the times it is. Try opening the task manager & see if any of the processes that used the drive last are still running. I have the same problem with Outlook. For some reason it locks the external HDD also. Once I exit Outlook then I can safely remove.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:34   #387
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
All HDD have a spin down time of 10 - 20 seconds. This is the reason it keeps spinning.
Nope, thats what happens in XP 10-15 secs spindown and then power down. Vista just doesn't bother.

The still in use thing happens when some foolish program that has no business with the drive locks it, like Outlook or excel or word.

Or when there is a virus
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:36   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
All HDD have a spin down time of 10 - 20 seconds. This is the reason it keeps spinning. @clevermax - If Vista says the drive is still in use then most of the times it is. Try opening the task manager & see if any of the processes that used the drive last are still running. I have the same problem with Outlook. For some reason it locks the external HDD also. Once I exit Outlook then I can safely remove.
I know. But in Vista, even after a safe successful removal, the HD light is on, but it stops spinning - the USB port is not powered down by the OS, but the HD does not need any power because it has been already ejected. So just to be on the safer side, I wait until the HD goes to power save (5 minutes in my Maxtor External HD) and then I remove it.

In XP, after a successful removal, as SLK mentioned, the HD light goes off.
Old 22nd October 2008, 13:44   #389
Senior - BHPian

For the USB port to be powered down it has to be configured in the advanced power options. By default all desktops run on always on mode. In the screenshot posted the plugged in option should also be enabled. This screenshot came from my laptop.
Attached Images

vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:18   #390
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Just had a weird problem surfacing on my laptop running on vista last night.

I have two user accounts, one admin and the other guest. Yesterday morning I saved a couple of folders onto the desktop in the guest account. Last night when I logged into the guest account, it said "user profile was unable to load successfully, you have been logged onto a temporary profile" or something like that. On seeing the desktop I realized all the folder I had saved that morning were missing. I searched every folder on the computer, both from the guest account and the admin. I couldn't find them anywhere.

I even searched all the users thoroughly, zilch came out from it. Surprisingly, I am unable to understand how these pics did a vanishing act. Any ways of getting them back? Any help would be appreciated.
Click the Start Button and in the white "Start Search" space at the
bottom type "regedit" (without the quotation marks). This will open the
registry editor.

In the left-hand pane, navigate by clicking the little triangles next to
the following folders:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
Microsoft
Windows NT
CurrentVersion
ProfileList

You should now have a list of folders all starting with S-1-5- and then a
number.
(You might need to drag the divider between the 2 panes of the window across
so you can read the whole folder name)
Look at the end of each name and you should see one with .bak at the end of
it, and there will be another one above it with exactly the same name but
without .bak at the end.
The one that's got .bak at the end is your old User Profile that Vista has
now made into a backup, and the one without .bak after it is the new empty
User Profile that Vista has created.
Just to check that this is the case, have a look in the right-hand pane for
each of the 2 folders and look at what's written after "ProfileImagePath".
For the folder with .bak at the end it should say C:\Users\ and then your
usual User Account name, and for the one that doesn't have .bak at the end it
should say C:\Users\TEMP.
What you need to do now is to rename the folders in the left-hand pane so
that the one with .bak at the end changes back to being the one containing
your proper User Profile and the new one without .bak at the end becomes the
backup.

PS: I had found this step on net long time back and I have tried this on some of the computers and it will work. Even the IT guys in my office will use this steps.
vinayvtec is offline   Reply With Quote