Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th December 2008, 18:38   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Vista(64 bit) home premium pre-installed, my problem is that often my Explorer hangs and I have to restart it.

It's mainly the task bar which shows the symptom, i.e task bar does not respond and when I right click the task bar, it asks me whether I need to restart the explorer and when I click 'yes' it starts(restarts) to work fine.

This hang-up is quiet random and I have not been able to identify the cause. Have tried 'googling' but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
You can check the event viewer for any errors that are causing the explorer to hang.

Right click on computer icon and select manage. There you will see the event viewer. Expand it and then you will Windows logs. Under that look for application. Under application you can check if there are any errors present.

@neon_daytona - What are the extra applications that you have installed on the laptop which startup with windows? Maybe a memory leak in one of them.

Last edited by vikram_d : 4th December 2008 at 18:40.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 19:56   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

The system idle process cannot lock up your system. It has to be some other process which is causing your system to hang.

Source - System Idle Process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
well, task manager showed no processes taking that CPU time, that's why I used the process explorer. and the idle process came up on top hogging 50+ % of CPU. Some internet forums mentioned driver updates if ntkrnlpa takes high CPU. wondering why i should have to do that if i have stock laptop with no hardware changes.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 20:40   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

After a year...

I returned to stay with the friend of mine who's Vista on a modest-spec laptop made me hate it on sight!

Well, I only spent a couple of hours on the computer this time, but I didn't hate it quite so much --- but nearly! Cutting out some start-up programs and using a small desktop pic made a very noticeable improvement to the performance. I'd have pruned more heavily but didn't want to take any risks on some-body else's machine.

I did discover the resource monitor, which is neat. Did I hear that this is available in XP SP3? If so I'll go to SP3 just for that.

Bottom line, though, I'll still stick to XP for the foreseeable future.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 21:46   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You have every reason to, and Billy agrees!
Microsoft has officially acknowledged Vista to be a lemon and promises to do better with Windows 7 in 2010!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 22:35   #410
BHPian

Quote:
You can check the event viewer for any errors that are causing the explorer to hang.

Right click on computer icon and select manage. There you will see the event viewer. Expand it and then you will Windows logs. Under that look for application. Under application you can check if there are any errors present.
Hi Vikram,

Thanks for the reply, was able to find more details in the app called 'Problem reports & solutions' but was not able to make head or tails out of it. Pasting the info i have below:

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangXProcB1
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 4791970c
Hang Signature: 42d8
Hang Type: 128
Waiting on Application Name: svchost.exe:AudioClientRpc
Waiting on Application Version: 0.0.0.0
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: f26587f4ca8a972243092bb238f73aad
Additional Hang Signature 2: 67aa
Additional Hang Signature 3: 25de4f85acb56990311d2c8a84055146
Additional Hang Signature 4: 42d8
Additional Hang Signature 5: f26587f4ca8a972243092bb238f73aad
Additional Hang Signature 6: 67aa
Additional Hang Signature 7: 25de4f85acb56990311d2c8a84055146

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 164916255
anandtheleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 08:36   #411
Senior - BHPian

@vivekiny2k - The System idle process always shows up as using the CPU where as in reality it is not using it. If System Idle Process shows 50% means 50% of CPU is free. Check what is using the remaining 50%. It is just an indicator of how free/busy the CPU is. In case it shows 0% that mean the processor is being used 100% by something else.

@anandtheleo - In Problem Report & Solutions you can report this problem to Microsoft and if there is any solution it will automatically show it to you. From what I can make out the problem was caused by some audio program.

This is from your report "Waiting on Application Name: svchost.exe:AudioClientRpc". So looks like maybe an audio driver problem. Cause svchost is used to initialize most of the drivers. The driver caused the audio application to hang which in turn caused the Explorer to hang. You can check if there are any upgraded audio drivers for you system.

Edit: Just found a similar problem like yours. Check this link. Vista Windows Explorer has stopped working Error - Security Cadets Forum. I am pretty sure now that it is a driver problem.

Last edited by vikram_d : 5th December 2008 at 08:54.
Old 5th December 2008, 11:31   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I returned to stay with the friend of mine who's Vista on a modest-spec laptop made me hate it on sight!

I did discover the resource monitor, which is neat. Did I hear that this is available in XP SP3? If so I'll go to SP3 just for that.

For running Windows Vista, the PC hardware has to be very high to fully enjoy the featuers. " Aero interface " is not useful as I found out. I tried it in XP through themes, but I am more comfortable with " Alt + Tab " .

I bought Vista and the money is wasted. I should have bought more RAM or a new processor or many be a new HDD instead of spending on OS.

I have installed SP3, but not seen the resource monitor. Will try and see if its there.
And stick to XP till Windows 7 comes out. By that time the Core i7 " eco system " will be cheaper and I hope that it is affordable.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 11:43   #413
BHPian

Quote:
@neon_daytona - What are the extra applications that you have installed on the laptop which startup with windows? Maybe a memory leak in one of them.

Its a brand new laptop. I have not installed anything apart from what came along with the laptop.
neon_daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 11:49   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_daytona View Post
Its a brand new laptop. I have not installed anything apart from what came along with the laptop.
How many taskbar icons can you see? Can you post a picture of your desktop with all taskbar icons showing?
Old 5th December 2008, 12:44   #415
BHPian

ive been using vista for about 6months now,everything has been smooth sailing for me.
i do have a good processor and 2gb ramn and a 256mb video card. this could be the reason maybe.
the only thing that has crashed is msn messeger maybe once a week max but i think that has more to do with the add on programs of msn than vista.

one satisfied customer
any tips on reducing the startup time would be much appreciated.
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 12:49   #416
Senior - BHPian

cheap_deal - First of all is it a desktop or laptop? There are a lot of programs that run at startup. Disabling what you don't need will make it boot faster. Also instead of shutting it down why not just put it into hibernate (if laptop) or standby (if desktop). My laptop is always on hibernate and have never faced any problems. Come to think of it I don't think I have even rebooted it even once in the last month or so.
Old 5th December 2008, 13:11   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Also instead of shutting it down why not just put it into hibernate (if laptop) or standby (if desktop).
Why do you recommend Stand-by for a desktop? I have been putting my desktop in hibernation (with a reboot every week) for about 2 years without any issues.
AkMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 13:30   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Why do you recommend Stand-by for a desktop? I have been putting my desktop in hibernation (with a reboot every week) for about 2 years without any issues.
There are no issues with putting your desktop on hibernate also but standby is good enough. Hibernate is recommended for laptops because in some laptops in standby mode the hard disk is not shut down and when you carry it around like that there is a very high chance of hard disk damage. Where as you don't move around your desktop too much. It is pretty much stationary in one place.
Old 5th December 2008, 15:14   #419
BHPian

Quote:
@anandtheleo - In Problem Report & Solutions you can report this problem to Microsoft and if there is any solution it will automatically show it to you. From what I can make out the problem was caused by some audio program.

This is from your report "Waiting on Application Name: svchost.exe:AudioClientRpc". So looks like maybe an audio driver problem. Cause svchost is used to initialize most of the drivers. The driver caused the audio application to hang which in turn caused the Explorer to hang. You can check if there are any upgraded audio drivers for you system.

Edit: Just found a similar problem like yours. Check this link. Vista Windows Explorer has stopped working Error - Security Cadets Forum. I am pretty sure now that it is a driver problem.
Ah! what you say makes sense, now that you mention it, I do notice that sometimes the audio has trouble playing on the laptop, have to restart the audio/video file to play it. The problem was automatically reported, I did it manually too, but no solutions from MS, did not expect much from it.

Now that I have straw to clutch, will Google more about this, appreciate the help, if you do come across any new info do let me know, will do the same from my end. Thanks.
anandtheleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 15:19   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Ah! what you say makes sense, now that you mention it, I do notice that sometimes the audio has trouble playing on the laptop, have to restart the audio/video file to play it. The problem was automatically reported, I did it manually too, but no solutions from MS, did not expect much from it.

Now that I have straw to clutch, will Google more about this, appreciate the help, if you do come across any new info do let me know, will do the same from my end. Thanks.
When and if there is a solution it will show up in the Problem Reports & Solutions app. But try to look for updated drivers for the sound card on your system. Try the sound card manufacturers web site. Or tell me which sound card it is or laptop with exact model number.