Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th January 2009, 20:35   #451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Confession: The more I started using Vista, the more I took a liking for it. Confession: I am impressed!
Could not agree more with this view. I was also a Vista hater. I got a compaq with 2 GB Ram and AMD Athlon 1.9 GHz with Vista pre-installed and it was not superbly fast like XP. But it was manageable. Now I recently got a Dell Vostro 1310 with 4GB RAM and Core2Duo 2.0 GHz processor. And man is it fast. Everything works like a charm. And the graphics are much more improved as well. Though its again the basic version, i like the look and feel of Vista basic and it is better than XP.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 02:19   #452
BHPian

Hi guys

Just wanted to say that the public beta of Windows 7 released recently is superb as well. I installed it as a dual boot OS along with my Windows XP SP3 and it's running fine. Boot up time is quick and it detected all my hardware too. Most of my software is working fine with Windows 7 too.

As for Vista, the pre SP1 Vista was quite buggy. The beta versions released in 2005 and early 2006 were even buggier as I had installed 2 different versions to test at that time. However Vista with SP1 is almost like a new OS. So many improvements have been made. Vista SP1 is as good if not better than XP SP2. I did use Vista SP1 for 3 months and liked it quite a bit. Except for the annoying User Access Control message popping up for every small thing.

Windows 7 does not have this problem and runs fine. IE 8 looks good too and has nice features. I would highly recommend tech savvy guys here to download and install the Windows 7 public beta to test it out. I am sure most of you will like it, especially those who like Vista SP1 now. If the graphics and visual elements in Vista were superb after being used to the boring XP, Windows 7 would blow you away. So many new touches and many of them are unique too. Very nicely done OS. So far, I have not found it all that buggy. Seems to be running my software fine.

Warm regards,
Venkat
VSG12777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 03:05   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post

One thing I noticed is that Firefox 3 crashes a lot of times on VIsta, where as it didnt use to crash on XP SP2. Does anyone experiencing the same? Any possible reasons for it?
It happens to me ALL the time. And it's very annoying. Thank God for "Restore Previous Session"!
f450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 05:57   #454
Senior - BHPian

Vista is a work in progress. What many people failed to understand was that Vista is a resource hog just like any other computing technology and needs better Ram (4gb atleast) to perform adequately. Just like we jumped the cpu from 500mhz to 2ghz.This has led to slow demand and hence Windows not working on vista but diverting resources to Windows 7.

Vista could've been a great OS. It's just my personal opinion though.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 10:15   #455
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
GTO,

The first thing I do on any system is disable all fancy visual effects. check after doing that if it is at par with XP.
Will do this evening. Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
I love vista too, except for the fact that i keep losing connection when i put my comp to sleep.
Have you downloaded the latest updates? I believe this was a known bug with Vista, but MS eventually offered a solution for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
XP to me now seems a very outdated version.
I love XP for its speed, functionality & simplicity. But it does feel outdated compared to the Vista.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 20:14   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Have you downloaded the latest updates? I believe this was a known bug with Vista, but MS eventually offered a solution for it.
yes, the fix was supposed to be included in SP1, i also installed the standalone version of the fix. the sleep mode itself caused the computer to hang after the patch. so i did the restore back to where it was.

I have a feeling it has something to do with my video drivers. HP has some contract with all the device makers so we can only get latest drivers from HP site. i will try to do a clean install when i get time and see how it works.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 20:59   #457
Senior - BHPian

I dont know if its my luck or what. Tried installing Vista again and it wont get installed on my machine with 3GB of Ram and a good old processor. Money wasted.
The installation just hangs up. Has anybody faced this problem ?
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 23:13   #458
Senior - BHPian

Is it a genuine copy of Vista. Some pirated versions are known to have this issue.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 01:48   #459
Senior - BHPian

I just found a software based on vista that can let users run their laptops with usb drives as RAM.

eBoostr (USB drive as Ram) - Give Your Windows XP a Boost! - Torrent Reactor NET!
Old 28th January 2009, 07:31   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I just found a software based on vista that can let users run their laptops with usb drives as RAM.
Gosh, this will make the machine painfully slow!
The fastest USB drives are still much slower than HDDs.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 07:46   #461
Senior - BHPian

Devarshi - You don't need any extra software for this. Windows Vista already has a ready boost feature that does this.
Old 28th January 2009, 08:21   #462
Senior - BHPian

that's for windows xp and not vista.

@Anup : Its not for storage but to use as Ram. And can you please post times by the fastest harddrive and the slowest USb drive?
Old 28th January 2009, 08:30   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Anup : Its not for storage but to use as Ram. And can you please post times by the fastest harddrive and the slowest USb drive?
I think you mean it the other way around: slowest HDD and fastest USB pendrive?

Off the cuff, I would say that a SATA HDD can write at 150MB/sec and the fastest USB drives at about 30 MB/sec.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 09:13   #464
Senior - BHPian

OK, I am not the technical genius here, but are we talking storage or are we talking interface?

I know Flash is faster than the spindle type drives.

Sata can support data transfers of about 3gb per sec but are the harddrives up for the job?

so basically an USB Flash drive should still be faster than a USB harddrive. And coming to interfaces We should compare express cardslot to SATA.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 28th January 2009 at 09:21.
Old 28th January 2009, 11:04   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that's for windows xp and not vista.
What is for XP and not for Vista.

Vista already has a ReadyBoost feature built in where as XP does not.

Some reference material

ReadyBoost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Explore the features: Windows ReadyBoost

Edit: The fast SATA HDD is a Western Digital Raptor at 135Mbps and the fastest USB drive is a Corsair Flash Voyager GT at 33.8Mbps. The results are from real world tests.

Last edited by vikram_d : 28th January 2009 at 11:12.