Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 16th February 2009, 20:07   #496
Senior - BHPian

Default Laptop - to DOS or not to DOS?

Folks, Need a little help here.

I'm planning to buy a laptop for home use. I narrowed down my selection to a Dell Inspiron 1525. There is a 5k difference between getting it with DOS pre-installed and with Vista Home Premium. The difference is more if one factors in the higher hardware spec needed to run Vista.

Now, I've heard a of terrible things about Vista and I would prefer to have XP on the laptop. I have an original copy of XP (as in, I have an original Win 2000 CD and an upgrade to XP CD from my desktop machine) so I was wondering if I should buy the DOS version and install XP on it myself.

There are a couple of things that I worry about if I go the DOS route. First, there are a lot of utilities and features that come pre-installed in a Dell when you buy with the OS. I most likely won't get those. Second, I've read on the Net that you need to be prepared with a lot of XP drivers for the machine before you do this. Despite that many people continue to have problems after they `downgrade' to XP.

My question is this - Has anyone else tried this DOS/XP thing? What are the pitfalls? Is it just better to go for a machine with the OS pre-installed?

Thanks much.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 20:16   #497
Senior - BHPian

go for Dos version and install XP yourself.

All the drivers etc comes on DVDs, along with the Dell. you can install it yourself. You can download from dell support site too.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 20:22   #498
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Now, I've heard a of terrible things about Vista and I would prefer to have XP on the laptop.
What terrible things? I have Vista Ultimate on my home PC since mid 2007, Vista Home Premium on my notebook since mid 2007, Vista Business on my office desktop since mid 2008. I even have all the new PCs bought since 8 months on Vista Business, and few more Vista Business copies on Hypervision Virtualization environment.

I am yet to have any issues, so what are we talking about here?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 20:25   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, Need a little help here.

I'm planning to buy a laptop for home use. I narrowed down my selection to a Dell Inspiron 1525. There is a 5k difference between getting it with DOS pre-installed and with Vista Home Premium. The difference is more if one factors in the higher hardware spec needed to run Vista.

Now, I've heard a of terrible things about Vista and I would prefer to have XP on the laptop. I have an original copy of XP (as in, I have an original Win 2000 CD and an upgrade to XP CD from my desktop machine) so I was wondering if I should buy the DOS version and install XP on it myself.

There are a couple of things that I worry about if I go the DOS route. First, there are a lot of utilities and features that come pre-installed in a Dell when you buy with the OS. I most likely won't get those. Second, I've read on the Net that you need to be prepared with a lot of XP drivers for the machine before you do this. Despite that many people continue to have problems after they `downgrade' to XP.

My question is this - Has anyone else tried this DOS/XP thing? What are the pitfalls? Is it just better to go for a machine with the OS pre-installed?

Thanks much.
hey buddy,i have a dell vostro and i have been using it for a year.there's no use of buying ur dell with an installed o.s.if you have the original c.ds of x.p then its good.and there are no such extra xp drivers needed.
dont go in for vista,,it will make ur lappy terribly slow,not worth..if you want performance go for xp proffesional.
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 21:01   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What terrible things?
I am having n number of issues with Vista. Atleast 2-3GB of Ram, a quadcore processor and high end mobo are least requirements for Vista to be as fast as XP and as responsive as XP.

Apart from my many posts describing Vista, I am pasting a link of two:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1151677-post493.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1152008-post495.html

A system in which XP runs smoothly and generally without errors unless I mess up, I am not able to install Vista.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 21:08   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
go for Dos version and install XP yourself.

All the drivers etc comes on DVDs, along with the Dell. you can install it yourself. You can download from dell support site too.
Thanks, that's good to know. I will make sure the Dell shop provides all this. On the phone they said they did.

Quote:
What terrible things? I have Vista Ultimate on my home PC since mid 2007, Vista Home Premium on my notebook since mid 2007, Vista Business on my office desktop since mid 2008. I even have all the new PCs bought since 8 months on Vista Business, and few more Vista Business copies on Hypervision Virtualization environment.

No personal experience Sam, just what I've heard. My brother hasn't moved his firm to Vista. He personally has it on his laptop and says it crashes once a day.
The company I work for - a global, $6 bln corporation - has not moved to Vista because the IT guys don't think it is stable enough or worth it. We are usually quick technology adopters.
And as aaggoswami said, the hardware spec shoots up, so there is the extra cost of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
hey buddy,i have a dell vostro and i have been using it for a year.there's no use of buying ur dell with an installed o.s.if you have the original c.ds of x.p then its good.and there are no such extra xp drivers needed.
dont go in for vista,,it will make ur lappy terribly slow,not worth..if you want performance go for xp proffesional.
That was my thought process too - I quite like XP, works very well.
What I meant by extras was, for example, Dell machines store an image/copy of the OS in a separate partition for recovery purposes. Not a big deal but nonetheless.

Also, Im worried about the fact that I don't have a clean XP install CD, it is an upgrade from Win2K. Will that cause problems?
One more thing. If you have a personal copy of XP can you install it on a personal desktop and laptop or does Microsoft expect you to buy it twice?

Last edited by StarScream : 16th February 2009 at 21:14.
Old 16th February 2009, 21:29   #502
BHPian

I bought a dell laptop recently. It came with the vista as per the original product spec. I was against the vista (my brother's laptop came with vista and I dint quite like the interface). was a classic case of known devil....

If you have an original xp CD install, go ahead with it. you will be happy.

As far as having a personal copy of XP is concerned, there are two things to remember. If the OS came with the laptop as part of the deal, there is no question of transferring the license to another PC/laptop. However, if you bought the license yourself, you are free to transfer it to another PC/laptop, as long as you tell the MS guys you have uninstalled the OS from the first pc/laptop. Hope that clarifies.
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 21:38   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
As far as having a personal copy of XP is concerned, there are two things to remember. If the OS came with the laptop as part of the deal, there is no question of transferring the license to another PC/laptop. However, if you bought the license yourself, you are free to transfer it to another PC/laptop, as long as you tell the MS guys you have uninstalled the OS from the first pc/laptop. Hope that clarifies.
Both Win2k and the XP upgrade CD were bought boxed and did not come as OE on the desktop. That's how I can install XP on the laptop. But from what you're saying I have to uninstall it from my desktop to use on the laptop!! Bummer

Will have no choice but to go for new Vista in that case.
Old 16th February 2009, 21:56   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
I bought a dell laptop recently. It came with the vista as per the original product spec. I was against the vista (my brother's laptop came with vista and I dint quite like the interface). was a classic case of known devil....

If you have an original xp CD install, go ahead with it. you will be happy.

No why would you give that kinda advice.

Quote:
Both Win2k and the XP upgrade CD were bought boxed and did not come as OE on the desktop. That's how I can install XP on the laptop. But from what you're saying I have to uninstall it from my desktop to use on the laptop!! Bummer

Will have no choice but to go for new Vista in that case.
Dude stick to my first advice. No such thing as uninstall etc.

Actually its ilegal to use a single cd on multiple machine if you have single user license. But who cares.!!
atleast you have a original cd, 99% of ppl in india doesn't even have one and make do with pirated copies.
Old 16th February 2009, 22:06   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually its ilegal to use a single cd on multiple machine if you have single user license. But who cares.!!
atleast you have a original cd, 99% of ppl in india doesn't even have one and make do with pirated copies.
Alec, after ak916's post I did an Internet search and he is right. Apparently MS won't allow you to validate the second install unless you can convince them that you've uninstalled the OS from the first machine.

I'm sure if you try and scam them, they may catch you out if both machines are online at the same time. Not worth the trouble IMHO.

Last edited by StarScream : 16th February 2009 at 22:07.
Old 16th February 2009, 22:16   #506
Senior - BHPian

lolz!! thats how bill gates get you.

Now that i know you know how to use google. Please search for removewga.exe or WGA patch.

PS: If everybody bought a genuine windows xp prof, PC in india wouldn't have cost Rs.14k.

Last edited by SirAlec : 16th February 2009 at 22:18.
Old 16th February 2009, 22:28   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
lolz!! thats how bill gates get you.

And why he is one of the richest men in the world.

Now that i know you know how to use google. Please search for removewga.exe or WGA patch.

I realize now that my initial question was naive and I was confusing the OS single-user license with Office Home & Student 07, which can be installed on three machines for personal use.
All this from Google! What a wonderful tool!!

PS: If everybody bought a genuine windows xp prof, PC in india wouldn't have cost Rs.14k.
OK there is the broader question of what original software costs especially in poor countries. Usurious some may say. But I can afford it, so why break the law??
Old 16th February 2009, 22:46   #508
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No personal experience Sam, just what I've heard. My brother hasn't moved his firm to Vista. He personally has it on his laptop and says it crashes once a day.
That's really strange. You should look at GTO's experience here, he became a convert.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post1145430

Quote:
The company I work for - a global, $6 bln corporation - has not moved to Vista because the IT guys don't think it is stable enough or worth it.
They must be eyeing Windows7 and thinking why upgrade twice, lot of the companies around the world are doing that.

Quote:
And as aaggoswami said, the hardware spec shoots up, so there is the extra cost of that.
The trick to successful Vista is pretty simple. Don't upgrade from a XP machine, don't install on assembled machines, at least have a dual core CPU and 2GB RAM. I have been able to install Vista Business on 15K HP PCs with 2GB RAM and even virtual machines with 1GB RAM. All the VMs are running on Micrsoft Hypervisor on Win2008 64bit. All our trainees are on VM desktops. These machines mainly run Visual Studio 2005/2008 doing C++/C# development for telephony area. Heck, many of these Vista machines have Dialogic telephony hardware, including mine. XP has become an endangered species in my company.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 23:46   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) The trick to successful Vista is pretty simple. Don't upgrade from a XP machine, don't install on assembled machines,

2) at least have a dual core CPU and 2GB RAM. I have been able to install Vista Business on 15K HP PCs with 2GB RAM and even virtual machines with 1GB RAM. All the VMs are running on Micrsoft Hypervisor on Win2008 64bit. All our trainees are on VM desktops.
1) Any specific reason not to upgrade from XP machine ? And why not to install in assembled machines ?

2) My configuration is :
Processor : AMD Athlon X2 5000+, brisbane.
RAM : 2 X 1 GB Dynet 667 Mhz DDR2
1 X 1 GB Transcend 667 Mhz DDR2
1 X 1 GB Kingston 667 Mhz DDR2
Mobo : MSI K9N Neo V3
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB sata, with 3GBps interface enabled.
Graphics card : POV 7300GT 512 MB DDR2 ( today upgraded to 9500GT from TAG, 512 MB DDR2 ).

Now still I am not able to install Vista Basic. I have made several attempts visible from my earlier post. I would love to see more light being shed on reasons why assembled machines and XP machines must not be upgraded to Vista.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 00:06   #510
BHPian

Quote:
No why would you give that kinda advice.

errrr... why not? The dude's got an original copy of XP. Why would I suggest him to pay more for another OS? Anyway, I am not actually making a choice for him. Just giving him the options...

And AFAIK, removewga.exe, only removed the WGA notifications. I might be wrong (I would love to be wrong in this case) but we need to worry about the Windows validation more than the notification.

Last edited by ak916 : 17th February 2009 at 00:11.
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote