Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 25th February 2009, 14:33   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
To those who are still baffled with WinSXS size, Here is some info.
Thats neat! Thanks given.
Mind if i slide in a remark though? Only MS could come up with a one-time-only type of fix for a recurring issue.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 15:06   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
3D Studio Max! Ah!! Now I see what we really need!!
Win XP MCE.

And if you plan to make 3D, modelling and rendering into a career, you'd be best off with Maya and a Mac!!

BTW, 3DS Max runs perfectly well with XP MCE. If you're having problems, your hardware has some glitch!
And before you ask, no, I'm not an animation person!

All the best!
I dont see any good reason why the professional version cannot run this software fine.
OT : But I wanted to go for animation, but prospects are not good in future.
Mac, I cant afford one now.

Quote:
1) Did you say, media center edition? he isn't using one, are you, Agg? If not, I don't see why we need another version of OS when XP MCE is just XP with enhancements for mobile users.

2) Anyway, to Aag, Please source your components from a reliable person. This guy you have dealt with, has supplied with you enough lemons to stay away from him for the rest of your life. If possible, source it directly from Mumbai/Delhi or buy it from the distributors.

3) Now next to your hardware issues, MSI is one MB maker I have seen heck lot of issues. My personal choice is to never buy MSI again, but others may have a different experience, so all the best to them.

4) One last question, but do you have the right drivers for the XP. You probably won't get any updated drivers as MSI doesn't always keep them updated. But make sure that rest of the system is not out of place. Any crazy software installed by sheer curiosity and you probably have opened a can of worms & backdoors. I know you are studying BCA, but trust me buddy, that alone doesn't tell you all of the story. You have to treat your system with care. Now Enough of Bhashan.
1) I am not using MCE. Mine is professional.

2) My vendor told me he has sourced the latest K9N Neo V3 from Mumbai and hence it was costing a bomb. I am now understanding why always the reliability is not highest in case of our PC.

3) Asus has RMA issues. So I stay away from Asus, next will be MSI, but now I am sure I will never be going for MSI boards. How is Gigabyte ? Any known issues with Vista for Gigabyte ?

4) I have the latest drivers from what MSI site offers. No extra unwanted eye candy softwares for me. The reason I need Vista is
a) I have paid for it.
b) Its more stable ( I use both at different places ) and at the end of the day its more userfriendly also. Search is also much faster than XP. I have a lot of 3DS max files and many designs, sometimes search in XP is slower than what I can do manually. Vista is a better OS than XP and here I believe there is no doubt. More secure also. The additional DVD writing facality means I can get rid of other DVD writing tools also that occupy space and usually bring in lots of ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You're probably right, given2fly!
Please note that I am not a user of 3DS Max, so I cannot personally vouch for any OS. On forums that have discussed this subject, I could gather that XP MCE seemed to be a preferred OS.
XP Pro might work just as well!? What about Win2K?
The software I am using is not compitable with win2K. XP professional is what I am on.

Now I have arrived at one conclusion : My system is not going to digest anything except XP. I thought in future I will not be available in Vadodara, so my dad can use this system, but this is not a reliable system. Dad will eventually have to shift to Windows 7 or Vista and neither of them are running in my system.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 25th February 2009 at 15:10. Reason: Typed in RCA instead of RMA.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2009, 15:10   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Now I have arrived at one conclusion : My system is not going to digest anything except XP. I thought in future I will not be available in Vadodara, so my dad can use this system, but this is not a reliable system. Dad will eventually have to shift to Windows 7 or Vista and neither of them are running in my system.
Try to find a gamer who might buy the XP machine!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 20:28   #559
BHPian

i am having a problem with Vista. my Pc doesnt hibernate or shutdown many times. i click on hibernate and it restarts. can someone tell how to rectify this problem?
WAGON_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 23:32   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGON_R View Post
i am having a problem with Vista. my Pc doesnt hibernate or shutdown many times. i click on hibernate and it restarts. can someone tell how to rectify this problem?
Have the BIOS and the video drivers updated for the computer. Looks like its a laptop??
dreamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 09:33   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Just found out that the size of the winsxs foldr is 8.25gb on my system. What a waste of hard disk space.
The winsxs folder has grown to 10gb on my system even though I have not installed any new software or upgrades.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 11:50   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Have the BIOS and the video drivers updated for the computer. Looks like its a laptop??
yes its a dell inspiron 1525 model. the bios and video drivers seem to be okay. and the problem is this doesnt happen all the time. its 80 % this happens and 20 % it will shut down properly.
Old 1st March 2009, 04:23   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGON_R View Post
yes its a dell inspiron 1525 model. the bios and video drivers seem to be okay. and the problem is this doesnt happen all the time. its 80 % this happens and 20 % it will shut down properly.
I have seen similar problem with a friends Inspiron 1525 with DELL 1395 wireless card. If its a 1395 wireless card, in device manager goto the wireless card properties and under power management tab, uncheck the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

This is only a workaround.
dreamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 08:00   #564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The winsxs folder has grown to 10gb on my system even though I have not installed any new software or upgrades.
Vikram, try this tool that given2fly posted here. It will only uninstall the SP1 related redundant files though. As for the size, i think it will grow even if you install windows patches or updates. Did you install any updates recently?

Quote:
To those who are still baffled with WinSXS size, Here is some info.

==============================================
Have you recently installed Service Pack 1?

If so, there is a tool included in the Service Pack 1 installation that will immediately clean up all of the components that it replaced in the WinSxS folder. This tool has been documented to remove up to 3GB from the WinSxS folder. YMMV.

Here is how to use this tool.

***NOTE: After you use this cleanup tool, you will no longer be able to remove Service Pack 1, should any problems occur. Make sure that the system is stable before using.

***NOTE 2: This tool is a one-time use tool. Once it's used it will no longer work on the same installation.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32. Look for the file "vsp1cln.exe."
Right click this file and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.
The Vista Service Pack 1 Cleanup Tool will remove all of the redundant files that it has replaced.
The amount of disk space you gain will depend on the system, what files are installed, etc.
==============================================

Source : winsxs folder way to big! : Windows Vista Setup : Windows Vista IT Pro : Microsoft TechNet Forums
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 11:52   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
I have seen similar problem with a friends Inspiron 1525 with DELL 1395 wireless card. If its a 1395 wireless card, in device manager goto the wireless card properties and under power management tab, uncheck the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

This is only a workaround.
thanks a lot, i will surely try this. i too doubt that its something to do with wireless card. it throws some error message that windows was unable to start the card something...dont remember
Old 1st March 2009, 15:31   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Vikram, try this tool that given2fly posted here. It will only uninstall the SP1 related redundant files though. As for the size, i think it will grow even if you install windows patches or updates. Did you install any updates recently?
Already done that. No updates have been installed also.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:35   #567
Senior - BHPian

Came across this issue with Vista losing the hibernate option; it seems to happen if one runs the "Disk Cleanup" utility.

Solution:

Log into CMD prompt as administrator. Type in "powercfg -h on" and you are good to go.

The KB article for reference: I used the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows Vista, and now the hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature are unavailable

Last edited by HappyWheels : 2nd March 2009 at 11:47. Reason: Quoted wrong post! :(
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:53   #568
BHPian

I had to do a reinstall of Vista Home Premium OEM after a HDD crash. Ever since I am facing sound skipping playing songs/videos. Tried a lot of stuff after Googling results, but problem persists. What can be done?
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 18:04   #569
BHPian

For those who are still worried about the fat footprint of Vista installed files on disk, here is something to look forward to in SP2 (most probably coming in April).

Service Pack clean-up. Finally, SP2 will come with a Service Pack Clean-up tool (compcln.exe) that will permanently delete older versions of the RTM- and SP1-based files that have been replaced by SP2. This can save disk space, of course, but can also be used to reduce the size of future install images.

Source : Notable Changes in Windows Server 2008 SP2 RC and Windows Vista SP2 RC

Text : Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows Welcome
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 18:25   #570
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this has been discussed, but had installed SP1 2 days back (yeah I know) & found out that no sound can be heard(This was mentioned as a possibility with SP1). Tried all the methods mentioned om MS site but did not help. Uninstalled SP1 & voila sound is back.

Gotta switch off Automatic update like before.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote