Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Which Linux distro you use, and why?
Ubuntu/Kubuntu 109 62.64%
Mandriva 2 1.15%
Debian 14 8.05%
Gentoo 4 2.30%
Red Hat 37 21.26%
Slackware 6 3.45%
SuSE 16 9.20%
TurboLinux 0 0%
BSD 6 3.45%
Any other 21 12.07%
Fedora 26 14.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th November 2011, 13:03   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Which linux distro do you use, and why?

Why not get the 11.10 which was already out a month ago. I heard from my friends that it is much better than the 11.04 version.

Last edited by joe1980 : 4th November 2011 at 13:04. Reason: Corrected spelling mistake
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 09:43   #137
Senior - BHPian

Currently use Linux Mint Katya. Was fed up with Natty Narwhal.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 13:12   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I've last heard Windows 8 has got some OEM vendor lock which protects installation of any other(means Linux in particular) OS in Your system. Corporates in Redmond and Cupertino will not be standing for Your Rights.
Well, as far as I understand, this will be applicable mostly to OEM PCs, and since we Indians are always good at bypassing the norm and building our own machines, turning off the protocol in the UEFI shouldn't be too difficult. Anyways, being a true Linux user, I don't think I'm gonna be seeing much of Windows 8 in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Have voted for Ubuntu which I have installed on my Home Laptop. At office I used to work on CentOS (based on Red Hat) for an Open Source project.

I have a problem with my Ubuntu 11.04 installation though. The torrents does not seem to work inspite of me doing a port forward on my router (did not have to do this for Windows Vista installed on another partition) and also opening up the range of ports used by my torrent client (Transmission or Deluge or Myu). I can see them open in UFW. Not sure why. Anybody else faced this issue?
Not sure about this one, as I don't use Transmission much myself [more so due to its inability to use multiple custom trackers]. What I suggest is, install the latest Wine, and then just run the latest .exe of uTorrent or BitTorrent. Works like a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Why not get the 11.10 which was already out a month ago. I heard from my friends that it is much better than the 11.04 version.
Definitely, with loads of improvements. Unity has been well corrected, though it still needs improvements. Gnome is no longer present, but can be installed from the repos. Gnome 3 is latest, and has excellent screen space utilization. Does take some time getting used to, but once accustomed, you will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Try the Oneiric Oscelot, it's really worth the effort, and much more.!!
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 17:06   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I personally prefer Mint to the travesty that Ubuntu's become.
BTW, which mint? Are you on KDE or Gnome?
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 17:41   #140
BHPian

Using Peppermint version 2 - all apps in ubuntu synchronizable, also lighter and faster.
shekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 17:46   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Try the Oneiric Oscelot, it's really worth the effort, and much more.!!
Naah ... will wait for the Pink Panther ... had a tough time with the previous version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
I personally prefer Mint to the travesty that Ubuntu's become. BTW, which mint? Are you on KDE or Gnome?
Gnome. And yeah, I agree, Ubuntu is kind of losing its way. Wish it pulls back together for the sake of Linux and the Free World.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 11:26   #142
Team-BHP Support

Great article and one I entirely agree with: What Killed the Linux Desktop - Miguel de Icaza

Stability is one of the biggest problems on Linux. I have been dabbling with Linux since 1994 starting with Slackware. But always held back from doing commercial development thanks to too many distros and rapidly changing environment.

In the enterprise software, stability is a necessity. Stuff we installed 6-7-8-10 years back on Windows servers, are still running on the same OS, with regular updates.

But in the last 2-3 years we decided to move most products to Linux, but picking the right distro was a pain. My research team kept jumping distros every 6-8 months while I watched in frustration for some stability. Finally when Ubuntu 12.04 LTS came around, it appeared everybody looked happy enough. So we froze on that. I just hope we can stay frozen for few years.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th August 2012 at 11:33.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 11:35   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But in the last 2-3 years we decided to move most of products to Linux, but picking the right distro was a pain. My research team kept jumping distros every 6-8 months while I watched in frustration for some stability. Finally when Ubuntu 12.04 LTS came around, it appeared everybody looked happy enough. So we froze on that. I just hope we can stay frozen for few years.
Dont apply patches that dont seem to make sense, and you should stay happily frozen for a few more years. Dont install unnecessary software. I personally favour lighter distros like Arch linux since they have fewer moving parts. Only install stuff that is needed and live a minimalistic life.
The reason I have figured most installs end up with issues, is because we start using software that is not at all needed. Even early release candidates/betas etc.
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 11:51   #144
BHPian

Quote:
But in the last 2-3 years we decided to move most products to Linux, but picking the right distro was a pain. My research team kept jumping distros every 6-8 months while I watched in frustration for some stability. Finally when Ubuntu 12.04 LTS came around, it appeared everybody looked happy enough. So we froze on that. I just hope we can stay frozen for few years.
Just curios, don't you get support from Canonical for production use (if you opt for it)? Does the Ubuntu server gets updated at same frequency that of the desktop edition? Most teams in my company who are using Linux as their platform are slowly moving to Montavista.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 12:22   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Dont apply patches that dont seem to make sense, and you should stay happily frozen for a few more years. Dont install unnecessary software.
We don't install unnecessary stuff, yet things break sometimes. You'll never see such things in Mac or Windows.

Quote:
I personally favour lighter distros like Arch linux since they have fewer moving parts. Only install stuff that is needed and live a minimalistic life.
Funnily enough we started with Arch-Linux. See my comment in the thread from 2010: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1941219 (Which linux distro do you use, and why?)

But they send up too many updates, that started breaking stuff. So we jumped to debian next.

Quote:
The reason I have figured most installs end up with issues, is because we start using software that is not at all needed. Even early release candidates/betas etc.
Another trouble is we need both desktop (for developers) and server version (for deployment). So it has to be a distro that has both versions, with least incompatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Just curios, don't you get support from Canonical for production use (if you opt for it)? Most teams in my company who are using Linux as their platform are slowly moving to Montavista.
Both are good advice. Let me explore these options.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:30   #146
BHPian

Quote:

But they send up too many updates, that started breaking stuff. So we jumped to debian next.

Another trouble is we need both desktop (for developers) and server version (for deployment). So it has to be a distro that has both versions, with least incompatibility.
The distro updates are the problems in most cases. Its best to turn them off unless one is sure that the dependencies/impacts are. Even Debian sends updates that has messed up my system a couple of times.
Why does the desktop and server version need to be of the same version? I would prefer using seperate distros for them. I dont think there should be any dependency related stuff unless you use thick clients. I have higher regard for CentOS (Red Hat EL would be better) when it comes to server distros.

The only issue I have with Ubuntu is that while it has become mainstream, it has become bloated and its the bloat that causes most of the issues.
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 12:40   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why does the desktop and server version need to be of the same version? I would prefer using seperate distros for them.
Because we have dependency on lot many open source libraries. If we are using the same distro, we have lot less issues in incompatibility and dependency. An open source lib may have 1.6 as current in distro X and 1.8 as current in distro Y.

My team does development in Windows, Mac, Linux and HP-UX Unix (we are pulling out of this one). Not to forget iOS, Android and Blackberry. I try to reduce complexity as much as possible to retain some sanity.
Old 29th July 2013, 10:01   #148
BHPian

Recently bought myself a lappy with an AMD A8 Chip.
First I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but ran into driver issues with my Wireless Network Card. It couldn't hold a connection more than 5 minutes, and after that had trouble reconnecting.
Then I moved to Ubuntu 13.04, and though the wireless was fine, the backlight controller for the display stopped working. By now, I was beginning to get fed up.
So, moved to Fedora. Well, with Fedora, the Wireless worked fine, but the backlight controller didn't. Then saw that compared to Ubuntu, the system was slower and not intuitively designed. Plus, the Yum packages were annoying. IMHO .Deb are way better.
So, moved back to Ubuntu 13.04 and installed AMD Catalyst to get the right drivers for the backlight controller. Still not entirely satisfied with my graphics setup (Dual graphics), but it will have to do for now. Right now, I have been on this build for around a week, and so far so good.
I don't intend to Dual boot this with Windows.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 11:16   #149
BHPian

Post Re: Which linux distro do you use, and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Recently bought myself a lappy with an AMD A8 Chip.
First I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but ran into driver issues with my Wireless Network Card. It couldn't hold a connection more than 5 minutes, and after that had trouble reconnecting.
Then I moved to Ubuntu 13.04, and though the wireless was fine, the backlight controller for the display stopped working. By now, I was beginning to get fed up.
So, moved to Fedora. Well, with Fedora, the Wireless worked fine, but the backlight controller didn't. Then saw that compared to Ubuntu, the system was slower and not intuitively designed. Plus, the Yum packages were annoying. IMHO .Deb are way better.
So, moved back to Ubuntu 13.04 and installed AMD Catalyst to get the right drivers for the backlight controller. Still not entirely satisfied with my graphics setup (Dual graphics), but it will have to do for now. Right now, I have been on this build for around a week, and so far so good.
I don't intend to Dual boot this with Windows.
Your feedback is useful to me, thanks!

I had tried Fedora-18 and Ububtu-12.04-LTS on my Lenova laptop and wireless-networking works only intermittently on both. Now I will try Ubuntu-13.04 (DVD from Linux-for-you mag).

I also run Fedora-14 on my older Vaio and wireless network is intermittent on that too.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 11:26   #150
BHPian

I use puppy Linux from a bootable flash drive on my windows laptop/desktop.

I started using it in combination with a usb dongle for Internet. I was having a tough time trying to get it to work on my new vista laptop at the time. It surprisingly rendered 1080p video without lags. And Internet connection speed was much faster.

Some PDF editing. Cloning hard drives. Bypassing windows password. Encryption. Making usb drives bootable. Image manipulation. All necessary software is included in the distro.
Very nice companion for those with Windows systems or standalone use on older hardware.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote