Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Which Linux distro you use, and why?
Ubuntu/Kubuntu 109 62.64%
Mandriva 2 1.15%
Debian 14 8.05%
Gentoo 4 2.30%
Red Hat 37 21.26%
Slackware 6 3.45%
SuSE 16 9.20%
TurboLinux 0 0%
BSD 6 3.45%
Any other 21 12.07%
Fedora 26 14.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th August 2013, 07:53   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Which linux distro do you use, and why?

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Recently bought myself a lappy with an AMD A8 Chip.
First I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, but ran into driver issues with my Wireless Network Card. It couldn't hold a connection more than 5 minutes, and after that had trouble reconnecting.
Then I moved to Ubuntu 13.04, and though the wireless was fine, the backlight controller for the display stopped working. By now, I was beginning to get fed up.
So, moved to Fedora. Well, with Fedora, the Wireless worked fine, but the backlight controller didn't. Then saw that compared to Ubuntu, the system was slower and not intuitively designed. Plus, the Yum packages were annoying. IMHO .Deb are way better.
So, moved back to Ubuntu 13.04 and installed AMD Catalyst to get the right drivers for the backlight controller. Still not entirely satisfied with my graphics setup (Dual graphics), but it will have to do for now. Right now, I have been on this build for around a week, and so far so good.
I don't intend to Dual boot this with Windows.
Why not try Mint? I have installed it on several laptops (including lenovo, acer and my mac). I mostly use mint on my mac as its 5 year old one and I forgot to upgrade it to snow leopard when available.

Give it a try. I do not remember any backlight settings problem, but never had wifi problem for sure.

cheers,

girish
girishv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 14:39   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Why not try Mint? I have installed it on several laptops (including lenovo, acer and my mac). I mostly use mint on my mac as its 5 year old one and I forgot to upgrade it to snow leopard when available.
I've tried using Mint in the past. I switched from Ubuntu 12.04 to Mint 14 instead of 12.10 on an old laptop. I then switched to using LUbuntu 13.04 because there a larger community to support the Ubuntu family of distributions and the Mint distribution was a bit buggy (it's based on the Ubuntu distribution, but the graphics distortion on Mint didn't occur for me on Ubuntu).

The problem with both distributions is that they don't support my USB WiFi adapter - it worked perfectly well with 12.04 after I installed additional packages (ar5523). Installing the equivalent of those packages on 12.10 or later didn't work - they detect the USB WiFi but cause a crash when I try to use it. I have an internal WiFi adapter that works so I'm not too bothered with the issue.

I don't use Linux on my newer laptops though.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 00:05   #153
BHPian

I use lubuntu 13.04 at work. All the goodness of Ubuntu with out the quirkiness of Unity :-)
sumithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 16:21   #154
BHPian

Default Help Required - Endian Firewall Community 2.5.2

Hey guys,
I'm fairly good with computers, but am a Linux Novice.

We're running a Core i3 desktop as a DHCP Server / Firewall.
It is Endian Firewall Community.
It is based on CentOS.

I am facing some problems.
I just upgraded to the latest version, but the onboard LAN controller (LOM) is not being detected.

I downloaded a driver from the internet, but i can't figure out how to install them. I got them on a USB drive.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 16:50   #155
BHPian

Default Re: Help Required - Endian Firewall Community 2.5.2

What motherboard brand and model are you using?

Back in 2006, I was trying to install Ubuntu on a machine with a cheap Intex LAN PCI card, and Ubuntu wouldn't detect it no matter what. I finally went out and got a decent DLink LAN PCI card and was finally able to connect the machine to LAN.

However, some hardware components can be made to work with their Windows drivers using NDISwrapper

If the manufacturer of the motherboard or the LAN card uses a non-generic driver and doesn't provide Linux specific drivers, then it usually is difficult to get it to work, unless some kind soul reverse engineers Windows drivers.

Last edited by hellmet : 23rd September 2013 at 16:54.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:09   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
I use lubuntu 13.04 at work. All the goodness of Ubuntu with out the quirkiness of Unity :-)
I use LUbuntu 13.04 on a Thinkpad T60 - it doesn't have dedicated graphics so I chose to go without Unity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Back in 2006, I was trying to install Ubuntu on a machine with a cheap Intex LAN PCI card, and Ubuntu wouldn't detect it no matter what.
I bought the cheap PCI LAN card that I could find in 2001 to practice networking with Windows 2000 and seeing the Tux logo on the box, I realised that was the icing on the cake. After I was done trying out all kinds of stuff with Windows, I installed Red Hat Linux and the LAN card worked without even having to use the drivers provided on the included floppy drive. I still have the LAN card in its original box but it's pretty much useless now as desktops computers have built-in LAN interfaces and PCIexpress slots.
Old 2nd October 2013, 04:06   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
What motherboard brand and model are you using?

Back in 2006, I was trying to install Ubuntu on a machine with a cheap Intex LAN PCI card, and Ubuntu wouldn't detect it no matter what. I finally went out and got a decent DLink LAN PCI card and was finally able to connect the machine to LAN.

However, some hardware components can be made to work with their Windows drivers using NDISwrapper

If the manufacturer of the motherboard or the LAN card uses a non-generic driver and doesn't provide Linux specific drivers, then it usually is difficult to get it to work, unless some kind soul reverse engineers Windows drivers.
It's an intel motherboard, im forgetting the model number, but a friend in Bangalore is compiling the driver for me.

as a temporary fix, I installed a server dual NIC PCI card so that i don't need the one that is not being detected
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 11:31   #158
BHPian

The Ubuntu 13.10 distribution is expected in less than a week (release date: October 17, 2013). They dropped Mir and decided to stick with XWindows. There was also the recent issue with Intel dropping Mir support from its drivers, requiring Canonical to maintain its own fork, had they decided to go with Mir.
Old 12th October 2013, 00:48   #159
BHPian

There should be an option of the ultra-popular Arch Linux on the voting list. I've been using it primarily since the last 3 years. Also, I've installed Debian 7.1 "Wheezy" alongside on the second partition.

There are many other distros installed n the VirtualBox on my system, but only one is regularly used, i.e., CentOS (I'm a RHCSA).
0xTKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 13:10   #160
BHPian

Used various distros while at college (both Debian and Redhat based) but spent most of the time on Gentoo. The ability to customise was endless.

These days I'd much prefer running CentOS (even on my own machine, if I have to) and use it extensively on all the servers at work as well.

Work laptop is Windows 7 and most of my work is through SSH+screen on these CentOS servers. Home laptop is a mac.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 20:24   #161
BHPian

Gentoo is good, but somehow, I was never successful in installing it on my desktop. Somehow I'm addicted to Arch Linux. But these days, I'm seriously thinking of giving a shot to CentOS on my home machine.
Old 6th January 2014, 15:19   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xTKB View Post
Gentoo is good, but somehow, I was never successful in installing it on my desktop. Somehow I'm addicted to Arch Linux. But these days, I'm seriously thinking of giving a shot to CentOS on my home machine.
I moved from Ubuntu some time back to Arch (Manjaro) and what an experience. All hardware works right out of the box, laptop runs cooler (with some tweaks) and it's faaaast. I'm addicted. No Ubuntu for me now, at least until they really up their game.

I tried Cent but wasn't impressed. The hardware packages for my configuration were a bit dodgy.

Last edited by roy_libran : 6th January 2014 at 15:20.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 00:06   #163
Team-BHP Support

We were using Arch Linux in my company for many years. I really liked it. But when we started looking at cloud options, no one was offering Arch Linux images. As a result we had to move to uBuntu. Pretty happy with it, we mainly run enterprise telephony apps on it.

Edit: When I looked at the poll options, I realised I had voted for Fedora. That was a long back. My first Linux was Slackware, back in 1994.

Last edited by Samurai : 7th January 2014 at 00:10.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 06:19   #164
BHPian

^Can you please elaborate on what kind of cloud options were you looking for?
Old 17th January 2014, 07:43   #165
Team-BHP Support

We run servers of different size (Windows & Linux) on Amazon EC2 and Azure cloud. As a result we have not bought a single physical server in 4 years. We use PCs for development and use cloud servers for production.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote