Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Which Linux distro you use, and why?
Ubuntu/Kubuntu 109 62.64%
Mandriva 2 1.15%
Debian 14 8.05%
Gentoo 4 2.30%
Red Hat 37 21.26%
Slackware 6 3.45%
SuSE 16 9.20%
TurboLinux 0 0%
BSD 6 3.45%
Any other 21 12.07%
Fedora 26 14.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th January 2014, 09:59   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Which linux distro do you use, and why?

Oh.. for server work, Arch is not recommended. Although some people do use it with the LTS kernels, but it is far from perfect. Besides, I've never worked on EC2 and Azure Cloud so I have no idea.

At home I've installed CentOS 6.5, FreeBSD and Arch Linux alongside Windows 8.1. Next week, my Haswell processor, board & RAM will arrive. So, I'll be install CentOS, Arch, Windows 8.1 and OS X Mavericks on it. 3 spare HDDs will do the trick.
0xTKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 20:56   #167
BHPian

AWS may not give you consistently good performance for production use (assuming that your app/service is realtime processing rather than batch processing and that performance is a high priority).

Here's more details on that: http://blog.sematext.com/2013/04/22/...-stealing-cpu/
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 21:11   #168
Team-BHP Support

I run CenOS for my web server. Its a VPS. No issues. I set it up as a server for GPS tracking, and it works very well tracking about 4-5 devices with traccar.
Memory is 1GB.
I explored AWS, but with coupons and all, VPS was working out to be much cheaper. Now I don't really need it that much, but I figured a cheap VPS to do hanky panky/VPN/other stuff is very nice.
Maybe I will junk CentOS and try some other distro when I have the itch and free time again.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 21:19   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
AWS may not give you consistently good performance for production use (assuming that your app/service is realtime processing rather than batch processing and that performance is a high priority).
Good point, so far not seen this issue. But will watchout in future. Thanks.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 05:20   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, not related to Linux, but have a question regarding AWS

Has anyone worked on Elastic Load balancers on AWS ? have some doubts regarding the VIP part.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2015, 15:47   #171
Team-BHP Support

The BOSS is here... Indian Government now has their own Linux distro.

http://thelogicalindian.com/news/why...osoft-windows/
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 18:36   #172
Senior - BHPian

I've recently upgraded my desktop to a 180GB Intel 330 SSD and 1 tb WD Blue hard drive for data backup. Actually, these drives were lying there untouched for years! until I thought of upgrading last week.
Wanted to try LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) for long time, so installed it from a usb drive. I chose UEFI mode in BIOS setup and created GPT partition table with the help of gdisk. Since there is no other OS installed, the process was smooth. Some general tweaks for SSD like mounting /var/tmp, /tmp directories in RAM and nodiratime option for filesystems in /etc/fstab are the only things I did after the install. LMDE 2 offers classic sysvinit and systemd options for booting. With systemd, I believe the boot process is faster. But, apprehensive about systemd(here). LMDE 2 actually is a mix and match distro with Debian Jessie as the primary system. The DE is Cinnamon which is pretty simple compared to Gnome-Shell or Kde. Overall, pretty usable. Those who want a Debian system without the need to rebuild some packages to enable xyz features will want to try LMDE. Definitely not a newbie friendly distro. Even iptables/firewall needed to be enabled manually.

Last edited by deepclutch : 1st October 2015 at 18:44.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 19:32   #173
Senior - BHPian

Have used Linux only for personal use. Started off with Redhat 7.3 back in 2002-3. Went on to Debian, Mepis (at university), Gentoo (stage 1 install in extremely bored single days in Bangalore) , (K)Ubuntu for a little while. Finally use Lubuntu these days.

One thing I noticed in the last few months I used Lubuntu is, I hardly launched xterm. It was all xterm during my 2002-8 usage. How times have changed

Last edited by narayans80 : 1st October 2015 at 19:38.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 11:32   #174
BHPian

Just stumbled upon this thread. Have been an open source user since 2003, when fedora and Red Hat were the options. Since that time have tried Fedora Core multiple versions, OpenSuse for a change, Linux Mint for a stable period of time (my parents still use it), Ubuntu from its 9.04 days (my wife's laptop was running the 14.04 Trusty Tahr till a few months back), and finally Arch Linux for my needs.

Between all the versions and flavours selected, for an intermediate user, Arch Linux gives flexibility and ease of use. For the casual user, Ubuntu has come a long way from the original days and the current Dashboard and Unity interface is quite robust and easy to use.

My choice of desktop, however, after trying multiple times with OpenSuse and kubuntu and Chakra remains the GNOME and Unity frontend rather than KDE4. Although GNOME3 had mucked it up pretty good for most of us when it was released, prompting a mass exodus to Unity.

Would be great to hear about any other good distros whose experience has been good by other forum members!

"May the source be with you!"
prateekswarup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 12:14   #175
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Which linux distro do you use, and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Have used Linux only for personal use. Started off with Redhat 7.3 back in 2002-3. Went on to Debian, Mepis (at university), Gentoo (stage 1 install in extremely bored single days in Bangalore) , (K)Ubuntu for a little while. Finally use Lubuntu these days.

One thing I noticed in the last few months I used Lubuntu is, I hardly launched xterm. It was all xterm during my 2002-8 usage. How times have changed
That's true. Terminal usage was ofcourse the norm as you need to configure something or the other. Knowledge of vi or emacs was expected. But, even today I use terminal because it gets the work done straightforward.

My first experience with Linux was in the computer labs set up by HCL in our Engineering college. They've installed earlier version of RedHat Linux (circa 1998) on some of the computers for unknown reason. I started using Linux in 2001-2, with RH 7.2 or so. Debian Woodie was released immediately afterwards. Sticked with Debian for many years. During those awful dialup days, I used to get Debian CD's(20 numbers or so) from a student in Bombay IIT. Gentoo, Arch, Foresight/ipath Linux (with Conary package management system) and many other distros. But, for the past 7-8 years, it is either Debian or Ubuntu on my systems. Forgot to add: WinModems are a big headache to get it to work in Linux.

Even SCSI/SATA drives were not supported during those days with 2.4.x kernel. XF86 configuration editing modeline etc and recompiling kernels regularly, rebuilding packages are some of the things I recollect. Today, we hardly need to do all these things. Linux has indeed matured over these years. But, less chances of becoming mainstream OS due to the fact that those who have a mindset to explore and learn and also open to DIY stuff will find Linux or *BSD's interesting. With Windows/Microsoft it is a client-seller relationship. Customer(OS user) expects full support after buying OS.

Last edited by deepclutch : 2nd October 2015 at 12:21.
Old 9th October 2015, 18:28   #176
BHPian

Hi folks!

A question: I want to try something new and was thinking of installing a Linux Distro on my laptop which has a 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive and 3rd Gen Intel Core i3 processor. I almost know nothing about coding but have been practicing basic things on BlueJ.

I use my laptop for learning new things, trying new things, reading various things that interest me, Team-BHPing(, watching movies, a bit of editing of pics and creating presentations. I upgraded to Windows 10 sometime back but it hasn't quite lived upto my expectations. I have shortlisted the following Distros:
  • elementary OS
  • Linux Mint

I haven't yet considered Ubuntu as it is quite common and I want something unique.

Another question is should I keep my Win10 by dual booting?

Also, will playing games be a hassle?

Thanks in advance geeks!

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2015, 19:32   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hi folks!
A question: I want to try something new and was thinking of installing a Linux Distro on my laptop which has a 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive and 3rd Gen Intel Core i3 processor. I almost know nothing about coding but have been practicing basic things on BlueJ.

Id suggest keeping your windows 10 as a dual boot, if hard disk space is not a concern. First start using a linux distro, get comfortable with it, and then take the call whether you need windows or not.
You might not find a lot of games on the linux platform, as compared to windows.
Elementary has a beautiful UI, looks very similar to Mac OS imo.
Another option id suggest is, install all the distros you like into virtual machines( using something like VMWare Player). Play around with them before you zero down on anything.

Last edited by ampere : 9th October 2015 at 20:20. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
kkkkkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 13:07   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks!

A question: I want to try something new and was thinking of installing a Linux Distro on my laptop which has a 4GB RAM, 500GB hard drive and 3rd Gen Intel Core i3 processor.

I haven't yet considered Ubuntu as it is quite common and I want something unique.

Another question is should I keep my Win10 by dual booting?

Also, will playing games be a hassle?

Thanks in advance geeks!

Neel
As you have paid for the Windows OS, you keep the Windows and go for dual booting with a linux. May be you should try Fedora.

As you have only 4 GB RAM, don't expect great performance with Virtual machines and that is the reason I suggest dual boot. Windows host alone requires a minimum of 2 GB (actually for 64 bit version the recommended RAM is 4 GB). Linux with graphical UI needs at least 2 GB RAM.

Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 13:17   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
As you have paid for the Windows OS, you keep the Windows and go for dual booting with a linux. May be you should try Fedora.

As you have only 4 GB RAM, don't expect great performance with Virtual machines and that is the reason I suggest dual boot. Windows host alone requires a minimum of 2 GB (actually for 64 bit version the recommended RAM is 4 GB). Linux with graphical UI needs at least 2 GB RAM.
Thanks!

I am dual booting indeed, after the hassle I had to face while downloading Windows 10. I will try tp upgrade my RAM, let's keep fingers crossed.

I have already used Fedora so wanted to try something new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Id suggest keeping your windows 10 as a dual boot, if hard disk space is not a concern. First start using a linux distro, get comfortable with it, and then take the call whether you need windows or not.
You might not find a lot of games on the linux platform, as compared to windows.
Elementary has a beautiful UI, looks very similar to Mac OS imo.
Another option id suggest is, install all the distros you like into virtual machines( using something like VMWare Player). Play around with them before you zero down on anything.
Thanks!

As mentioned, I am keeping Windows 10. I am in love with the elementary OS and hence downloaded and stored it in a flash drive.

Just thinking if I would mess up while dual booting! :what:
I have already created a new drive for Linux.

Thanks again,
Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 10th October 2015 at 13:21.
petrolhead_neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2015, 13:54   #180
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Which linux distro do you use, and why?

Quote:
Thanks!

I am dual booting indeed, after the hassle I had to face while downloading Windows 10. I will try tp upgrade my RAM, let's keep fingers crossed.

I have already used Fedora so wanted to try something new.

Thanks!

As mentioned, I am keeping Windows 10. I am in love with the elementary OS and hence downloaded and stored it in a flash drive.

Just thinking if I would mess up while dual booting! :what:
I have already created a new drive for Linux.

Thanks again,
Neel
If your laptop is newer (2012 and later), may be your OS is installed in UEFI mode. That requires GPT partitioning and a EFI partition where Windows puts the bootloader. But, there may be a BIOS compatibility mode with the system. Gparted is the preferred tool for partitioning.
http://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what...d-of-the-bios/

I will suggest Linux Mint for a newbie friendly distro. It's still Ubuntu - alright!. learning UNIX Desktop Environments like Gnome/Cinnamon/Unity, KDE, XFCE, LXDE or other window managers will get acclimatized to the Linux way of doing things instead of Windows/OS X UI clones.