Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Do you face any Problems with TATA Sky?
Yes 117 37.50%
No 195 62.50%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st January 2014, 10:02   #466
BHPian

Default Re: TATA Sky..Do you face any problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Mvaidy
Hi
In less than 2 years T.Sky has changed my box 7 (seven) times.
Once they changed the box and it worked for less than 10 (ten) minutes.
The technician had not even reached the local train station which is less than a 10 minute walking distance. Since it was past 6 PM did not have the heart to call him back. Next morning he came and changed.
You have a nodal officer to whom you can escalate. AFAIR they have a different for every state.Please check their website.
regards
Your 10 replacements were refurbished or new ones?
mvaidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 21:38   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaidy View Post
Your 10 replacements were refurbished or new ones?
Mvaidy

Hi.
The box was changed 7 times and once after the change it worked for 10 minutes.
I cant be sure but AFAIK they hardly change to a new box.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 08:24   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Mvaidy

Hi.
The box was changed 7 times and once after the change it worked for 10 minutes.
I cant be sure but AFAIK they hardly change to a new box.
Regards
Thanks for the response.. This is highly ridiculous that they have replaced your box 7 times. Refurbished aren't good enough to work for longer period. You spend 5k for the new box which gets faulty in couple of months and you get a refurbished / old one. What's the point? Is it the same with Airtel & Videocon as well?
mvaidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 00:16   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaidy View Post
Thanks for the response.. This is highly ridiculous that they have replaced your box 7 times. Refurbished aren't good enough to work for longer period. You spend 5k for the new box which gets faulty in couple of months and you get a refurbished / old one. What's the point? Is it the same with Airtel & Videocon as well?
Hi
I wouldn't know about Airtel but when I was subscriber of Videocon the box was working fine until I changed to T.Sky.(They did not have Comedy Central). But that was a standard definition box.Maybe something is wrong with their HD box. My second connection which is SD, the box has been changed only once and that too because my daughter could not see certain channels and the box had to be upgraded.No charge for that.
Regards
Old 4th February 2014, 15:53   #470
Senior - BHPian

Looks like they have added six new HD channels on Tata Sky

Life OK HD
Zee Studio HD
CNBC TV18 Prime HD
Sony Six HD
Sun TV HD
Gemini TV HD

Can anyone confirm - read this on the Broadband forum.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 19:53   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Looks like they have added six new HD channels on Tata Sky

Life OK HD
Zee Studio HD
CNBC TV18 Prime HD
Sony Six HD
Sun TV HD
Gemini TV HD

Can anyone confirm - read this on the Broadband forum.
Yes. They have indeed added these HD channels. I just saw and checked all of them.
BoneCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 08:33   #472
BHPian

Sound gets clipped while watching Star Sports. This is happening after the interface software got changed recently.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 14:37   #473
BHPian

First things first - TS is becoming expensive by the year.

I am paying almost 800 pm for a primary HD+ and a secondary SD+ together. I am on the annual mega pack since it was introduced way back and the only benefit is any new channels gets added free. However with the introduction of the "special category" I feel cheated as HBO defined/hit is chargeable now!

Not sure where this will end, and all this for the WIFE & kids! Probably on a lucky day I get to watch something

Last evening I got a message saying 6 new HD channels have been added, need to see them and review.

Last edited by sumathindra : 5th February 2014 at 14:39. Reason: edits
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 22:22   #474
BHPian

Hi everybody
As posted earlier by me Tata Sky has changed my HD box 7 (seven ) times.
Today this too stopped working so I am unable to view their service since morning.
The technician came to change the box. This replacement box looked that it had been picked up from a garbage dump.
Surprise ! Surprise! this too did not work.I wonder how can they send a box which did not work.
Regards
Old 22nd February 2014, 16:50   #475
Senior - BHPian

Couple of months ago, had to get Tata Sky to replace our old MPEG2 SD box with their newer MPEG4 boxes. Had to do this as the old box would not show several channels that were MPEG4.

Was really surprised with this new box - they should get an award for awful software. Everything is so wrong - the program names are so small, that you cant even read them unless you are really close. And this on a huge banner that covers half the screen with their horrible ads and logo. Everything is just really bad, even compared to their old MPEG 2 box. Even the Hathway box we had before T Sky more than 5 years ago had much, much better software.

This and their higher prices and less channels and crafty tactics will see me out of T Sky very soon. Time to go for Videocon or maybe even back to Hathway cable, who are MUCH cheaper.

Even the most basic videocon box has the added advantage of being able to record programs on a pen drive. Something which Tata Sky boxes dosen't have (not the basic ones at least).

What about Videocon's software? Hope it is much better than Tata Sky's SD boxes? Anybody who has used both?
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 13:08   #476

In the past, you hesitated to associate GREED with a Tata name. Alas, no longer. Apart from jacking up prices all to often, the cheap STBs they are now palming off are certainly sub-standard. I have an HD STB from one of the very first lots they had. Now I added another TV in a bedroom, and got the "newer" compact version HDSTB from TataSky. Whatever the newer hardware/firmware does is not up to mark. The same goes for the MP4 SD boxes they have replaced the older SD boxes with. Looks like they are compressing the video stream a bit too much now.
udaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 15:44   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaji View Post
In the past, you hesitated to associate GREED with a Tata name. Alas, no longer. Apart from jacking up prices all to often, the cheap STBs they are now palming off are certainly sub-standard. I have an HD STB from one of the very first lots they had. Now I added another TV in a bedroom, and got the "newer" compact version HDSTB from TataSky. Whatever the newer hardware/firmware does is not up to mark. The same goes for the MP4 SD boxes they have replaced the older SD boxes with. Looks like they are compressing the video stream a bit too much now.
Not just greed, you can also associate robbery to them. Tata Docomo - experienced multiple cases of openly thieving pre paid balance.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 18:05   #478
Senior - BHPian

Come April and I have to leave DishTV and jump to Tata Sky or Videocon.
Reason: Since 1 January, Dish has stopped Nick Jr. and Disney Jr. You cannot even pay extra for those. They have no confirmation on when they will restart these channels.

Reading all negative experiences here, I am not sure why Tata Sky is so popular and commands a premium (reminds me of Skoda). The Tata Sky HD boxes are supposed to be imported from US, if I remember correctly.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 18:27   #479
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the pricing is really bugging me. I've removed all Entertainment channels from my pack. I am left with Basic South, HD sports channels and am getting around 440 odd bucks for a month. And they keep hiking up that "HD Access Fee" stuff every time. Might have to move to some other provider or move to a HTPC completely. Only problem is won't get live sports.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 11:12   #480
BHPian

Now a days Tata Sky HD box start giving problem showing No Signal and some off the channels doesn't work for some time. I gog my box changed but what technician said was horrible. He says entire lot is giving problem and irony is they provide repaired box in replacement for new one. Under one year they replace free but after ghat 350 rupee swap charges.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote