Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2016, 10:56   #136
BHPian
 
tortoiseNhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 524
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Linux support thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
If you are going to install Linux alongside Windows 10 please be advised Windows 10 does not behave properly if another OS tries to access the bootloader. Problem is that GRUB/Syslinux bootloader of Linux used to replace the BIOS or UEFI and help boot Windows or Linux in the old days. Now Windows 10 is UEFI only and prohibits any other OS that tries to replace the bootloader as a "security feature". Point is you will have to really go through a lot of hoops to get a dual boot working if Windows was installed first (not to mention that half the partition would be NTFS and 50 GB for Linux would be EXT4) but it is possible as written here http://askubuntu.com/questions/66663...fi-hp-notebook
There is also another option and that is to use Virtual Box to install your copy Linux.
I was dual booting Windows 7 starter and Linux Mint when the offer to upgrade to Windows 10 came. With lots of apprehension I decided to take the plunge and took the upgrade route. To my surprise and delight Windows 10 with the 1511 update not only preserved my entire windows 7 based setup but also did not alter the dual booting menu. Windows 10 didn't alter the boot menu at all so much so that I have to select the Windows 7 option in order to boot Windows 10 now.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 11:57   #137
BHPian
 
RocketRaccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Gurgaon, HR
Posts: 106
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Linux support thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
I was dual booting Windows 7 starter and Linux Mint
Windows secure boot works if you try to install another OS after installing Windows 10. Also, if you were using Windows 7 starter you were probably using BIOS in the first place. For laptops that ship with Windows 10, UEFI boot is compulsory. When you upgraded Windows 7 to 10 did the grub bootloader still work for choosing between Mint and Windows 10 or did you see a new bootloader of Windows 10 ?
RocketRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2016, 15:32   #138
BHPian
 
tortoiseNhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 524
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Linux support thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRaccoon View Post
Windows secure boot works if you try to install another OS after installing Windows 10. Also, if you were using Windows 7 starter you were probably using BIOS in the first place. For laptops that ship with Windows 10, UEFI boot is compulsory. When you upgraded Windows 7 to 10 did the grub bootloader still work for choosing between Mint and Windows 10 or did you see a new bootloader of Windows 10 ?
No Windows 10 bootloader and it seems the grub bootloader was left untouched, because, to go to Windows 10 I still need to select Windows 7 from the grub menu.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 13:35   #139
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Linux support thread

Anyone has experience with Crossover for Linux? Does installing Office 2010 need the licensed version? It simply wont install on the trial version. Any ideas on which license I should go for? Looks like the base version is taken care of, but the pricing varies on how many months of updates you want.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2016, 01:19   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
deepclutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Muvattupuzha
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 108 Times
Post Re: Team-BHP Linux support thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Anyone has experience with Crossover for Linux? Does installing Office 2010 need the licensed version? It simply wont install on the trial version. Any ideas on which license I should go for? Looks like the base version is taken care of, but the pricing varies on how many months of updates you want.
Crossover will install Office 2010 and will download many libraries (.net) while installing.
You may try Playonlinux. PlayonLinux will install Office 2010. Only 32-bit office 2010 executable works.
https://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-8...fice_2010.html
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 19:36   #141
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Linux support thread

Is there any good tech support company in India that supports small enterprises with Linux issues, specifically for Debian? Can't rely on online support because it needs quick resolution.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 10:54   #142
BHPian
 
2500cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 660
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Linux support thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is there any good tech support company in India that supports small enterprises with Linux issues, specifically for Debian? Can't rely on online support because it needs quick resolution.
Please check your PM.
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB/iPod support for a OEM HU w/o USB Support MadRash In-Car Entertainment 26 2nd August 2014 00:40
The Ubuntu Linux Thread deepclutch Gadgets, Computers & Software 121 25th July 2013 14:55
Open BHP - BHPians on GNU/Linux e1t1bet Gadgets, Computers & Software 1 16th November 2009 21:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks