Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 2nd August 2007, 22:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I want to upgrade my home PC. I want to just replace the mainboard & CPU. But I really don't know what to with existing mainboard (Kobian P4M266) & CPU (Pentium 4 1.5G). Any suggestion on how to dispose:
1. Working computer components.
2. Non-working computer components.

EDIT: I also have 17" CRT which I want to replace with 17" LCD. Again no idea what to do with CRT monitor.
I think you need to change the ram also because most of the new boards launched today are DDR2 and yours is DDR.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I want to upgrade my home PC. I want to just replace the mainboard & CPU. But I really don't know what to with existing mainboard (Kobian P4M266) & CPU (Pentium 4 1.5G). Any suggestion on how to dispose:
1. Working computer components.
2. Non-working computer components.

EDIT: I also have 17" CRT which I want to replace with 17" LCD. Again no idea what to do with CRT monitor.
If you give it to the used comp dealers, they will give you peanuts. instead make another comp & gift it to an orphanage or a poor school or something like that.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 09:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

not really necessar to change the pc. You can just upgrage the motherboard and cpu. probably DDR Ram will also work, but cant gurantee it. (DDR-II Dual-channel Overclocked OCZ's give mind blowing performance for agood price.)

and ASUS boards are best. Dont compromise it with any other brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
the C2D is a 32-bit processor not a 64 bit. It can emulates it as 64-bit.
and I dont think he need so powerfull config. A AMD dual core can do a fantastic job.
It doesnt emulate 64-bit. It has 64-bit instruction set which is borrowed possibly from AMD.

and Now C2D's are also more viable than AMD. I am using AMD myself, but at present AMD is out of form. Its been sometime (since athlon) andthey need to bring in something fast.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote