Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 24th April 2011, 20:22   #76
BHPian

Default Re: PS3 from US - do i need a voltage transformer??

I got a PS3 Slim 160 GB last week from US. I've been waiting to plug it in since I've been out of town.

So, to rake up the question that's been around for the last 3-4 years.. "Buy a transformer or not ?".

The manual says not to connect any transformer to the PS3 since it would heat up the device but the device says 120V , 2A and 60 Hz.

My research says it is not needed too. In fact, I found more info here on team-bhp than on tech forums. My google search query "ps3 step down transformer" shows this thread on the first result !!

So far all that I have decided is to use a UPS. Yet to take a call on the transformer requirement.
Sangre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 22:33   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
I got a PS3 Slim 160 GB last week from US. I've been waiting to plug it in since I've been out of town.

So, to rake up the question that's been around for the last 3-4 years.. "Buy a transformer or not ?".
Nothing's needed. Just plug it in. Take a leap of faith, and then enjoy 'Move'ing.

As you must have read, a lot of people have done that on this form. And from a company's perspective, a standard universal PSU makes sense. Saves the trouble of keeping separate inventory etc. etc. There's a good chance it works for any voltage in 110-220V range.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 11:58   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
I had the same confusion some time back, when I got a 320GB PS3 with move kit from US. I am currently using it directly on 230V and all izz well.
rrswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 13:07   #79
BHPian

I have been using my USA bought PS3 directly plugged in for the last year and a half. Everything is fine so far. They have a inbulit universal adapter so you can use it anywhere.
Any idea where you get cheap or pirated games?
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 03:45   #80
BHPian

Hello friends,

revving a old thread. Any inputs will be very helpful.

Currently im in US and have bought Sony PS3 and Sony STR-DH830 AVR. Both are 110-120v and would like to know if there is a real need for a step-down transformer or a voltage surge protector would be good enough for a city like bangalore
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 12:51   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Hello friends,

revving a old thread. Any inputs will be very helpful.

Currently im in US and have bought Sony PS3 and Sony STR-DH830 AVR. Both are 110-120v and would like to know if there is a real need for a step-down transformer or a voltage surge protector would be good enough for a city like bangalore
All modern power supplies use switch mode power supplies which can operate from 100-250 V mains supply. You don't need a step down transformer - but you should go in for a Surge Protector.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 03:50   #82
BHPian

Thank you Prowler

May I ask you one more question. almost inclined to buy an AV receiver from US. Have a discount on sony shopping for $100 and would like to get sony DH830. Can this also work without a step down transformer?

from my googling have only found that a step down transformer is a must...
The specification does say that 110V 60Hz, 240W as the i/p power line.
Old 11th January 2013, 04:12   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

All modern power supplies use switch mode power supplies which can operate from 100-250 V mains supply. You don't need a step down transformer - but you should go in for a Surge Protector.
Careful here. Be doubly sure that your US equipment can indeed take international voltages. Read the manual for input specifications. Look at the sticker near the power connector. Otherwise you will end up frying your stuff.
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 06:21   #84
BHPian

No, you don't.

But if you connect it through a UPS that will protect against voltage fluctuations.

Cheers
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 23:24   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Thank you Prowler

May I ask you one more question. almost inclined to buy an AV receiver from US. Have a discount on sony shopping for $100 and would like to get sony DH830. Can this also work without a step down transformer?

from my googling have only found that a step down transformer is a must...
The specification does say that 110V 60Hz, 240W as the i/p power line.
In that case, you need a step down transformer rated at least 300 VA to power that in India. Like I said, almost all modern equipment use chopper power supplies for reasons for economy, efficiency and less bulk. But for highly sensitive audio/video receivers they might still opt for conventional transformer based power supply to keep the noise levels low.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 01:46   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
In that case, you need a step down transformer rated at least 300 VA to power that in India.
@Prowler,
Thanks for the input. Will probably get a 500VA step down to have more head more head room for the voltage fluctuations and power requirements.