Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 2nd October 2007, 15:11   #1
BHPian

Default Portable music player battle.

hey all,
With the launch of Microsoft's Zune music player which offers great screen size and also FM radio tuner the competition in the digital music player industry has hottened.iPods are now in their 6th Generationand have enjoyed a monopoly in this segment.Zune is just out and adding FM and WiFi is a red-herring.But guess wat in Dubai when the Zune just came out, its price tag was somewhere in the tune of 1000dhs and within a period of 2-3months it dropped down to 800dhs. There is no valid explanation for this but some guys did say that the Zunes that came from the US and Singapore had different price tags.The Ipods are great, however the single most apparent caveat is the phenomenon known as "Sideloading", which essentially means that you still have to connect your Ipod only device to a computer just like the Zune.
Microsoft have the power and finance to upset the king of all PMPs but not as yet i guess with the new Ipod series in the market.
turbolader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 16:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

hey there,
I guess now that apples come out with their entire new generation of players what with the touch classic and new nano the excitement will only begin again.Add to this the madness of the iPhone and i think that without any doubt apple will rule the roost again. Besides even i know that there are probably much better mp3 players available than the ipod but their biggest drawback is that they are not ipods.Look at an iPod an the first thing that you want to do is own it.And the battle is won there.

Heh heh heh.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 17:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Look at an iPod an the first thing that you want to do is own it.
Maybe for the feeble minded.

Can you children please use indents, double spacing, and maybe even line breaks?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 21:22   #4
BHPian

ipod has already won the battle. Zune was called as ipod killer, but already committed suicide I think. Zune is not to be found anywhere in India. Even lot of amaricans ask Zune ? what is it?? are you talking about June? But if u take the name of ipod, everyone knows it, this is the battle won. Even many people call the mp3 players as ipod, though its not produced by apple.
gmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007, 21:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

exactly gmano, i had a similar situation at an exhibition where a person came to the stall and wanted to know if our products were compatible with a creative iPod. I tried my best to explain to him but he just would not understand. I think it's pretty obvious that the word iPod is slowly becoming to mp3 players what the word walkman became to portable cassette player. v1p3r no this is fun.
Old 3rd October 2007, 07:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look at an iPod an the first thing that you want to do is own it.
Absolutely. And many have wanted to do unthinkable things with one! People have found it irresistibly sensuous.
The way I see it is the same as Sam - there is not going to be a battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Maybe for the feeble minded.
What an astonishing number of feeble minded folk inhabit this planet!
And because Zune (yuck! what a name) offers a wee bit more on features it might sell a few - as the 'microsoft iPod'!

I've tried my best to convince some kids that there are better players around that will let them more easily manage and share their music, but the problem seems to be that those others are not iPods! Nothing else will do.
Interestingly, the Zune allows a certain amount of sharing - one Zune can wirelessly send songs to another Zune. The recipient can play these thrice in a 3 day timeframe, and they cannot send these songs out from their Zune.
It is not clear yet whether these 'unplayable' songs will then keep sitting on their hard drives or do a self-destruct, or have to be manually deleted.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 10:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Absolutely. And many have wanted to do unthinkable things with one! People have found it irresistibly sensuous.
here. check this out. lol
Old 3rd October 2007, 21:15   #8
BHPian

Hey guys,
to be honest i like the Zune okh, its direct to use when on the move, searching a song is easier, and its not like it is not as good as the ipod, its just that it cannot be used as an external hard disk like the ipod and yea when you connect it to ur comp to upload just a few selected songs, for some stupid reason it copies everything from the comp, i still couldnt get over it.
I think Microsoft has tried to be a little too different here and have dug their own grave.
turbolader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 23:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well, for a change, Microsoft did the right thing for the customers of the 30gb Zune ("Classic" now): They're giving the old customers all the new features in the new Zunes in a soon-to-come update. The only Q here is, how soon?

Personally, I doubt if there will be DAP for a loooong time to come, that can replicate the success of the iPod. The thing about the iPod is that it is not just the iPod, but it is also the plethora of accessories for the iPods, and the level of connectivity and close integration that iPods have with about every piece of consumer electronics hardware.

The "iPod ready" label for consumer electronics is a standard that no other DAP can beat.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 01:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
here. check this out. lol

this beats the the Sony Ericsson's wrist shake too lol

on a serious note Zune do offer good stuff 3" screen, FM etc and stuff but pod has a lot of things available in the market and the new classics are just unbeatable at that price range 160 GB lol...
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 09:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Look at an iPod an the first thing that you want to do is own it.And the battle is won there.
Was smitten when I saw it for the first time and when I still cannot stop drooling over the one I have (engraved name and all ). I just hope that once Microsoft starts playing the price game Apple does not commit harakiri once more by giving snob statements like "It is an elitist music player" (like the did to the Macs)...
thefreak is offline   Reply With Quote