Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 5th March 2009, 00:13   #76
Team-BHP Support

Arun, why dont you look at Onkyo if your looking only for speakers with 25K as budget. You can audition at their showroom in Ameerpet.

Another option is to check out the JBL speakers and their showroom is situated in Prasads Imax.

Just my two cents
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 00:34   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Arun, why dont you look at Onkyo if your looking only for speakers with 25K as budget. You can audition at their showroom in Ameerpet.

Another option is to check out the JBL speakers and their showroom is situated in Prasads Imax.

Just my two cents
Dude , i was thinking the same apart from a few like Sonodyne and Torvin and Corrson and stuff.

But with the wealth of knowledge on here, I wouldn't be surprised if someone on T-Bhp has Arcam seperates or their neighbour has one, lol . I'm just searching out for a perfect match with long term users more than "initial impressions" that i'll get by visiting showrooms.

I tell you what ......... you choose your favourite songs , i'll choose mine ..... Heck , let all T-bhp Hyderabadi's choose a song and end up at Prasad's for a demo , lol .
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 12:14   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I tell you what ......... you choose your favourite songs , i'll choose mine ..... Heck , let all T-bhp Hyderabadi's choose a song and end up at Prasad's for a demo , lol .
Sure man, i am game anytime you are. Btw, send a PM to Navin on ICE section. He is most knowledgable and he maybe able to help you out.
Old 5th March 2009, 13:53   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Arcam A80 amp
Arcam CD-72 disc player
so a Bass heavy speaker could probably compensate this factor.My personal choice is a more "filling the room" sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, send a PM to Navin on ICE section. He is most knowledgable and he maybe able to help you out.
Quote:
Dude , i was thinking the same apart from a few like Sonodyne and Torvin and Corrson and stuff.
Mobike, thank you for the kind words but the synth-guzzler will ge a lot more help from the collecttive knowledge of TBHP than from a PM from me.

Frankly I dont know of any 25K pair of tower speakers that will do justice to the Arcam combo you got. Your best bet might be Mordant Short or JBL or maybe Mission (they are coming back!). If you want a speaker that has room-filling bass you would need to look at speakers that have atleast a pair of 8" woofers (per channel) this means a budget of about 70-75K atleast. The A80 was a $900-1000 amp. You should spend atleast that much on the speakers.

A second option is to get a pair of nice stand mounted speakers (think AE, PSB, Dyns, Audio Note or even the new B&W or Monitor Audio 6" 2 ways) and add an active sub later. Although doing so would mean adding a bass filter to save the satellits from the bass. If I remember correctly the A80 has a pair of full range pre outs (the RCAs closest to the speaker terminals) in the rear.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 15:08   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
A second option is to get a pair of nice stand mounted speakers (think AE, PSB, Dyns, Audio Note or even the new B&W or Monitor Audio 6" 2 ways)
Sir, Good suggestions although fear Audio Note here would break the bank . I would too suggest this standmount + sub combo rather than budget floorstanders. Good floorstanders are really expensive.Would also need more powerful amplification as compared to standmounts . You would save on the amplification with the active subs.

Last edited by sk456 : 5th March 2009 at 15:10.
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 15:20   #81
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Friends,
Im looking for a complete music system for my living room in Lonavala. This should work also as a home theater. I have been using a system with a Yamaha A/V and Bose Accoustimass 5 here for 10 years now.I have zero knowledge.Though just love good quality music. Budget is between 1 to 1.5 lacs.
Can someone suggest a good combination? and the dealers here in mumbai? I would prefer going to One place and buying out the complete set.
Went to Bose and JBL at Atria and just got confused

Can Navin or Sam Help me on this?
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 16:39   #82
Senior - BHPian

im looking out for a setup for my hall. looking out for 2 speakers and a sub.i dont have a amp so will need one as well.budget is about 60k.whats my best option ?

rev

Last edited by revtech : 5th March 2009 at 16:41.
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 17:30   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mobike, thank you for the kind words but the synth-guzzler will ge a lot more help from the collecttive knowledge of TBHP than from a PM from me.
Navin, your too modest.

I suggested him to PM you only after he waited for 4 days without any ICE expert helping Guzzler out.
Old 6th March 2009, 10:53   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Budget is between 1 to 1.5 lacs.
Can someone suggest a good combination?
Can Navin or Sam Help me on this?
Sam is busy with Bob so I guess that leaves me!

You want a A/v system for 1.5L?

A good A/V receiver will cost you about 40K and the speaker wire will cost you 10K (Basic Sommer @ about Rs. 150/- per meter).

JBL/Klipsch etc.. all sell a package that includes an active sub and 5 5/6" 2way satellites for about 1L.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 14:47   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sam is busy with Bob so I guess that leaves me!

You want a A/v system for 1.5L?

A good A/V receiver will cost you about 40K and the speaker wire will cost you 10K (Basic Sommer @ about Rs. 150/- per meter).

JBL/Klipsch etc.. all sell a package that includes an active sub and 5 5/6" 2way satellites for about 1L.
My daughter has gone and bought a Denon A/V dont know the model no. but a 7.1[a new series] and 5.1 Anthony Gallo Ti. total cost 1.28 including installation etc.
Now I also need a system and will go by what you recommend Navin. Hows the definitive tech or PSB 5.1 satellite speaker system? I liked the sound quality with the Nad AV T7-- exact series I miss! Sorry.

Last edited by scooby05 : 7th March 2009 at 14:53.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 22:10   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Ive got an 2004 set-up of

Arcam A80 amp
Arcam CD-72 disc player

As a student i spent most of my funds on these two and had nothing left for good quality speakers(the perils of not compromising on amp n cd player choice).Hence i ended up with Eltax floor-standers which are a basic British brand and not Hi-Fi in the truest sense.Ive returned to India with the above and finally its time to give the separates its due speakers.

The Amp is not a high powered or "party" piece , but my fascination is for the unbiased manner in which it plays music.At times,it does feel bass is lacking since most tunes nowadays having these frequencies,so a Bass heavy speaker could probably compensate this factor.My personal choice is a more "filling the room" sound. The CD player is in the same mould and relays stuff the manner it was recorded.

With a budget of 25K, please do give suggestions for Stereo Speakers, preferably floor-standers. Ill only be passing 50Wrms(amp rated at 65) at the peak , so an 80Wrms (rated at 8ohm)speaker should be more than sufficient.
Very strange, but I've got almost the same combo sitting in my living room (Arcam CD73 and A70). This combo too has that transparency that you speak about (playing the music as it was meant to be). I'm playing them on Jamo Classic 10 floorstanders (probably not available anymore). My speakers are a little bass heavy, and thats also accentuated because of their placement (I have no choice but to put them very close to the corners of the room).

I would suggest not trying to get a bass heavy set of speakers. That would kill the unbiased nature of the Arcam combo. Then you might as well be listening to a NAD setup.

Instead, get something that plays the music clearly, as it was meant to be. If you want to play safe with known brands you could look at Dynaudio or B&W. If I could buy a new pair of speakers today I'd probably get the Wilson Bensch Square 1 (although if you want floorstanders the Square 2 is even better).
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 20:06   #87
BHPian

Default Bookshelves based system - 30k budget

Folks,

I thought I had cured by audio bug years back. However, recent events have caused it to resurface. Someone gifted my better half a Marantz CD player, Tuner and Amp (60xx model numbers) along with a paid of Mordaunt Short 908xx speakers. A few hours of listening to those and the shortcomings in my other audio gear were suddenly a bit too obvious. The first victim of this newfound ear was my ICE setup, which has already absorbed 25k for upgrades with more to come. Next up is the small system I keep in the bedroom (see picture for what currently does duty there). I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of imagination. Just that I've moved a level or two beyond the simple boom box and need something better to listen to in my room.

I am considering for a player + amp + speakers combo. I dont have a clear idea about how much this should cost. I'm benchmarking off the Onkyo micro system (25-27k) and the Bose Wave (33k), which are a bit too restrictive. Ideally, I would like the player to have USB support and the ability to play off an ipod. I'm not sure how realistic this is for this sort of system.

Suggestions on brands and models as well as places in Mumbai where I can audition them would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Jaibir
Attached Images

jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:43   #88
BHPian

I got myself a Blu-Ray disk player a few days back, and had connected it to my TV thru HDMI. The HD content is looking great but does not sound as good as it looks. It's currently present in my bedroom and I thought i will get a nice set of floor standing speakers and an amplifier with HDMI input and output. The amplifier though will be used only for the two floor standing speakers and may be a sub-woofer if needed right now, I'm thinking of getting one with features that can be upgraded in the future.

I'm have no idea about how to start with, or what budget I should be looking at. Can you guys suggest me a decent setup at a decent budget. I use this only during weekends to watch movies other than that i may listen some music on it for 20-30 mins every day, i would like to keep my budget as minimal as possible.
sathee46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 18:02   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
Folks,

I thought I had cured by audio bug years back. However, recent events have caused it to resurface. Someone gifted my better half a Marantz CD player, Tuner and Amp (60xx model numbers) along with a paid of Mordaunt Short 908xx speakers. A few hours of listening to those and the shortcomings in my other audio gear were suddenly a bit too obvious. The first victim of this newfound ear was my ICE setup, which has already absorbed 25k for upgrades with more to come. Next up is the small system I keep in the bedroom (see picture for what currently does duty there). I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of imagination. Just that I've moved a level or two beyond the simple boom box and need something better to listen to in my room.

I am considering for a player + amp + speakers combo. I dont have a clear idea about how much this should cost. I'm benchmarking off the Onkyo micro system (25-27k) and the Bose Wave (33k), which are a bit too restrictive. Ideally, I would like the player to have USB support and the ability to play off an ipod. I'm not sure how realistic this is for this sort of system.

Suggestions on brands and models as well as places in Mumbai where I can audition them would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Jaibir
Guess this reply comes in rather late. You could look at the Onkyo/Cambridge Audio/Denon/TEAC etc mini-systems. Just add a pair of Tannoy F1 custom bookshelf speakers - one of the best (to my ears) budget speakers around and a LOT better then the stock speakers these systems come bundled with. Marantz also has a new lifestyle/mini-system (no speakers) but think that's pricier than the other options.

If your ONLY source is an iPOD then consider the Onkyo iPOD dock connected to an entry level Marantz/Cambridge Audio integrated amplifier.

Either option will push the budget to 45-50Kish.
Flying Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 23:24   #90
BHPian

So what happened next? No advices . Sathee46, Jaibir- any update from you. I hit this thread after searching "cadence/va1 " on google but this seems to have ended so abruptly.
shatrughna is offline   Reply With Quote