Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th October 2007, 16:42   #16
BHPian

Thanks guys, again.
From Sumit's post it appears I may not need a second Linksys even, if it's placed somewhere in between the two extremes of the house and set to about 100 db.

Any last words of advice?

I'm not terribly tech-savvy, so I'll be using the help of my computer tech-man, who is an enthusiast also, belongs to a Linux user group, etc.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 16:49   #17
BHPian

Hi, I had signal issues between my WiFi card (D-Link DWL-G510) and WiFi router (D-Link DI-524), over a distance of 40 feet. Got a couple of 5Db antennae (ANT24-0500) - they really solved the signal problems nicely. The pair cost me around 7K, but that was almost a couple of years ago...
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 17:17   #18
BHPian

From one end to the other I have a wood floor, and 4 stone walls, radial distance end to end is probably 35 metres.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 01:31   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
@tsk, I have the same problem of low reception in the living room. Can you please share details of how you built and connected that antenna?

BTW, I'm using a linksys wrt45g router
You can't flash your router, so that route is out.
What I am describing here will make your antenna directional.
All you need is to make a parabolic dish(the thali with holes which is used in indian cooking will do).
Cut a hole in the center and bring out your router antenna out of this.

google for DIY Wifi range extender.

I used an aluminium foil(roti wrap) and it was excellent.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 10:38   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Cut a hole in the center and bring out your router antenna out of this.

google for DIY Wifi range extender.

I used an aluminium foil(roti wrap) and it was excellent.
At the end should it look like a dish antenna or something?
Venkatesh.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 10:46   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
At the end should it look like a dish antenna or something?
A dish will be a tad too directional(needed only if you want 500 mts +)
A better shape would be a cylindrical parabolic reflector

Testing a Parabolic Reflector with Light from an LED

you don't need to be very accurate.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 16:38   #22
BHPian

SumitB,
what is this "dB" settings that you are referring ? i know that typical APs like WRT54G would transmit around 15dBm of output power. you can probably boost the power to a max of 22-25dBm. i am wondering what your numbers like "70-100 db" are referring to. are you referring to "70-100 mW" which is like 18.5dBm - 20dBm ?

filcord,
you can try a couple of more stuff.

a) you can try to fix the bit-rate to 1Mbps, and see if your link improves. I dont know what is your equipment at the other end of the AP. Rate control algorithms at lower bitrates better different vendors can be quite tricky.
b) similarly try to disable antenna diversity and try to see if your link improves. (try to keep the bitrate constant as in step a )
c) i am not sure of your application. so try setting the fragmentation threshold to a lower value on the AP.
d) Sometimes a few radios on these APs can be faulty on a few channels. so try switching the channels.
e) before trying a new directional antennae, try to rotate the orientation of the existing antennae. rotate the antennae, say in a clockwise direction, to see if it improves the situation. this changes the direction of polarisation and can buy you a lot of distance depending on the antennae used.
crkishore is offline   Reply With Quote