Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 13:06   #1
BHPian
 
sids911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 385
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Best In-Ear Monitors under $100

Hi All,

I want to get the best IEMs under 100USD or 4-5K INR.

The music that I listen to mostly is prog rock like Dream Theater and Dredg, Indian Classical (Instrumentals), Some pop like The Fray and Coldplay and occasionally some R&B/Hip-Hop.
So, varied music tastes and I wouldnt mind thumping bass either. Best balance of highs,mids and lows for me.

Enuff of that, lets come to choices that I have;

1. Shure SE110
2. Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
3. Etymotic ER6i
4. Sennheiser CX-300
5. Bose Triport IE

Out of these, Bose is the only thing that I can get in India officially I guess. Others, I would have to scour them from somewhere outside India.

But, out of these, which ones provide the best balance of highs,mids and lows? Which ones are sheer value for money?
Can I get them in the grey market in Mumbai? If anyones ownes any of these, can they reply with a short review?

Oh, and I am using iPod 80Gb Classic, if that matters.

Thanks!

Last edited by sids911 : 29th October 2007 at 13:15. Reason: More portable music rig explanation
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 13:30   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

I think the Sennheiser's are also available in India officially, not sure about the particular model you want but have been seeing them on sale here for a while now.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 15:35   #3
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

I got myself Shure E2C about two months back..and love them! Consider them too and its best if you can source it from US. For more info please look into this thread,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...earphones.html

I think even shure is available in India, do check out some places where they sell professional equipment.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 16:10   #4
BHPian
 
gopz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 452
Thanked: Once
Default

Sennheiser's are available officially at Apple stores.

JBL Noise canceling headphones (not in-ear type) are available for Rs.4500 in the grey market in Bangalore, and I think its worth it...Sam bhai can comment if he passes by this thread...
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 16:14   #5
BHPian
 
sids911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 385
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Sennheiser's are available officially at Apple stores.

JBL Noise canceling headphones (not in-ear type) are available for Rs.4500 in the grey market in Bangalore, and I think its worth it...Sam bhai can comment if he passes by this thread...
Yeah, hope he passes by and shares some insight about the "Reference" series that they have. Sam bhai, are u listening?

Let me check for sennheisers at official Apple stores.

Btw, Shure E2c and E3c have been discontinued by the company. They are replaced by SE110 and SE210.

By any chance, someone with experience of Dual Driver IEM's here? They must sound pretty amazing. no?
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 16:29   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 19 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
I want to get the best IEMs under 100USD or 4-5K INR.... So, varied music tastes and I wouldnt mind thumping bass either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Yeah, hope he passes by and shares some insight about the "Reference" series that they have. Sam bhai, are u listening?
Well thanks to Sam, I have some experience with the JBL Reference 220 IEMs. Here's a review akin to my findings, so heres a link. In a nutshell they will suit you well cuz they are great for bass. Its like having a small sub in your head.



JBL Reference 220 Earphones | iLounge iPod Accessory Reviews

Last edited by gunbir : 29th October 2007 at 16:31.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 16:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,383 Times
Default

Gunbir - you got the white ones? AFAIK we only have black in India.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 16:57   #8
BHPian
 
sids911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 385
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Gunbir - you got the white ones? AFAIK we only have black in India.
Whats the price for them? For the black ones specifically?

and well, how do they compare with Shures and Sennheisers of the world?(I hope I aint asking you blasphemous question!!)
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 17:08   #9
BHPian
 
sids911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 385
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Well, I just heard Bose's Triport OE. and now I know whats Bass Bias.

I had to reduce bass on my iPod for a better perspective, otherwise it was just bass and more bass everywhere.

And also, now I know why people like their Bose equipments. more bass=nice sound to a lot of people.

I would definitely prefer a better balance in highs, mids and lows.

I can get Shure SE110 for 4000 INR in HK. Does it look like a good deal?
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 17:20   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,383 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Whats the price for them? For the black ones specifically?

and well, how do they compare with Shures and Sennheisers of the world?(I hope I aint asking you blasphemous question!!)
Nothing blasphemous about it. They are made by AKG of austria, a sister company of JBL. AKG is one of the oldest and most reputed headphone mfrs in the world. IMO they rock.
And they cost about 3500/-
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 22:24   #11
BHPian
 
appuchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangy
Posts: 641
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Hi All,

I want to get the best IEMs under 100USD or 4-5K INR.

The music that I listen to mostly is prog rock like Dream Theater and Dredg, Indian Classical (Instrumentals), Some pop like The Fray and Coldplay and occasionally some R&B/Hip-Hop.
So, varied music tastes and I wouldnt mind thumping bass either. Best balance of highs,mids and lows for me.

Enuff of that, lets come to choices that I have;

1. Shure SE110
2. Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
3. Etymotic ER6i
4. Sennheiser CX-300
5. Bose Triport IE

Out of these, Bose is the only thing that I can get in India officially I guess. Others, I would have to scour them from somewhere outside India.

But, out of these, which ones provide the best balance of highs,mids and lows? Which ones are sheer value for money?
Can I get them in the grey market in Mumbai? If anyones ownes any of these, can they reply with a short review?

Oh, and I am using iPod 80Gb Classic, if that matters.

Thanks!
I have Grado SR225 and Shure SE210. Shure IEM models are really suitable for good quality portable music players like iPods. Ultimate Ears are also of very high class. Grado generally is of professional grade and demands a much better source. Sennheiser is more of generic good quality ones except for their audiophile range. Not sure of other ones mentioned.

Last edited by appuchan : 29th October 2007 at 22:33.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 22:29   #12
BHPian
 
appuchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangy
Posts: 641
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Well, I just heard Bose's Triport OE. and now I know whats Bass Bias.

I had to reduce bass on my iPod for a better perspective, otherwise it was just bass and more bass everywhere.

And also, now I know why people like their Bose equipments. more bass=nice sound to a lot of people.

I would definitely prefer a better balance in highs, mids and lows.

I can get Shure SE110 for 4000 INR in HK. Does it look like a good deal?
I generally dont enjoy any Bose products as all of them appear artificial to me with high bass and trebles and lower mids. May be thats what they call "Sound Engineering"
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 00:36   #13
BHPian
 
sids911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 385
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I have Grado SR225 and Shure SE210.
I would have gone for Shure SE210 eyes closed. But they cost around 140 USD (Amazon.com) and thus wont fit my budget. Can I get them cheaper at local grey markets?
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 00:43   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 1,092 Times
Default

The sennheiser is a rather cheap generic IEM. A 1200 rupee creative ep630 sounds as good as that sennheiser. I haven't heard the JBL so can't comment on them but I have heard the e2c/e3c/UE super.fi 3, ety er6i. I'd buy neither of these... what I'd get is the Altec Lansing IM716. Its made by etymotic and is based on the ety er4s design and costs way less than than it.

Hands down my favorite IEM in the budget category.

PS: Before you call me biased against sennheiser, I'd like to point out that at home I use an HD650 .

Last edited by reignofchaos : 30th October 2007 at 00:45.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 07:31   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
hydrashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my Office
Posts: 2,528
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

I've used a shure e2c and an e3c. I love the way they sound. The e3c sounds better, obviously, but the e2c isn't that bad either.

Shures sound very neutral, without any bias toward any type/kind of sound. IMHO they are totally faithful to the original signal -- no boosting or cutting anywhere.

So if you'd like a bit of extra bass, they will not sound good to you (Friends who use 900/- Sony earphones preferred the Sonys to the Shures as the Sonys gave better bass and treble ressponse).

I picked up both Shures from India itself, with B&W. The official importer is based in Mumbai.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
100 BHP+ Diesel Sedan under 10 lakhs - Booked Verna CRDI SX (ABS), now under 9 lakhs newcoolgadgets Sedans 84 16th September 2009 21:28
touch screen monitors -- ams impex kippu In-Car Entertainment 0 26th January 2009 09:14
Grinning from ear to ear lucifer919 In-Car Entertainment 21 17th October 2008 19:14
LCD Monitors ICE Boon or Bane suren181 In-Car Entertainment 13 6th November 2006 10:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks