Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 9th March 2013, 13:56   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: All about Turntables!

Whoa!

Didn't know that we have some many vinyl lovers here too! Petrolheads travel so much of distances...great!

I have a fully automatic Technics SL-Q33 & a decent vinyl collection. My other turntables include 2 Mono HMV's & 2 Stereo Philips.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 12:13   #92
Senior - BHPian

gents, any idea where I can get hold of a pre worshipped TT in blore or chennai ? I know newer options are available under 10K, but looking for something to match the rest of dad's old system. Nothing exotic - Sony/Technics etc, as long as they work well are fine.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 16:52   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Audio cassettes were capable of extraordinarily high performance. However getting the best out of them required extremely expensive decks, recording on the most expensive tapes. Pre-recorded tapes could never match the fidelity of a decent turntable set up because the high speed recording and low quality tape medium that went with mass production meant that if you wanted the best quality sound of a recording, you bought an LP or a CD....

...SO to repeat, there are no certain answers. there is good sound and bad sound. there are many ways to bad sound and more than one ways to good sound. you can take one or many ways to good sound, and enjoy the music. Just be wary of all the nuts in audiophilia who go around preaching one true religion.
Very sensible post.

As someone that has a Rega P5, my two cents:

1. The TT makes a nice conversation piece, but is now too much trouble for me to operate, flipping over the LP every 15 minutes. I use mine just to keep it in working condition.

2. Given the state of solid state electronics now, the critical piece of equipment today is the loudspeaker piece, where one should spend as much as one can afford to, looking at this as a once in a lifetime purchase. Which it can be for well made passive speakers, if given reasonable care.

3. I now have a Sonos streaming solution for my music source - all my CDs are ripped to a hard disc, from where I can access and play any or all of them via a handheld based control app. Sound quality is as good as from my CDs or LPs.

4. Internet radio/radio services are making even CDs obsolete now. If I must buy music, I prefer iTunes, where albums cost just around Rs 120. SQ via my speakers - also as good as CDs. But for the most part I use Sonos to access internet radio all over my home.

5. What drives SQ is the quality of the performance, the quality of recording and mastering, the loudspeaker quality, their placement, and room acoustics. Together these factors decide over 95% of the heard sound quality.

6. There was once a phrase - if your audio equipment costs more than your music collection, you haven't got the point. Still something to think about, although not as valid anymore because the net is obsoleting the need to own music.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 17:15   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
As someone that has a Rega P5, my two cents:

1. The TT makes a nice conversation piece...I use mine just to keep it in working condition...
3. I now have a Sonos streaming solution for my music source...
4. If I must buy music, I prefer iTunes ... But for the most part I use Sonos...
6. There was once a phrase - if your audio equipment costs more than your music collection, you haven't got the point...
Incidentally I'm looking for a good turntable in Pune so I'll more than willing to take the Rega off your hands if you're giving it away

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 18:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Incidentally I'm looking for a good turntable in Pune so I'll more than willing to take the Rega off your hands if you're giving it away
One, I wouldn't give it away. And even if I got the price I paid for it new, I still would hold on to it. Visible high quality engineering, unlike most audio equipment today, and as I said already, a great conversation starter at parties at home

Of course I now find even changing CDs to be a pain...
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 18:55   #96
Senior - BHPian

Got my new entry level turntable - Clearaudio Concept.

The sound is in an altogether different league compared to my previous technics. This sounds clean, dynamic with amazing attack, a smooth ultra refined top end and very good bottom end heft. Tonality is excellent - far better than my CD player. IMHO for the price this sells at, its a complete steal.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Turntables!-tt1.jpg  

All about Turntables!-tt2.jpg  

All about Turntables!-tt3.jpg  

reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 12:23   #97
BHPian

Anything new on this gents. Do we have any more Vinyl and Turntable enthusiasts here? Ive got a Technics 1200/1210 rocking my setup.
Quarter Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 16:21   #98
BHPian

Hey guys, All these days I was asking the wrong guys, probably All of this discussion brought back nostalgic memories when I used to wake up to that crystal clear song "mera janu..mera.." from HERO.
My Dad used to play that LP religiously every morning; I can actually hear it writing now.

Sadly, the Philips turntable went faulty and gradually my Dad forgot and I too got caught in the web of life. Every now and then I used to take out the LPs, clean them and store them back. I even remember a LP that's plastic and flexible. It bends like a film!

Now to my actual question: Now that I have the actual resources, if not the time to own a turntable and a tape cassette player, I need suggestions. Please help.
If it's of any help, I've recently moved to the UAE and am asking around here too. I'd like to build up this system of turntable, cassette player and a good audio system to hear them.
rav11stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 16:36   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
gents, any idea where I can get hold of a pre worshipped TT in blore or chennai ? I know newer options are available under 10K, but looking for something to match the rest of dad's old system. Nothing exotic - Sony/Technics etc, as long as they work well are fine.
My how time flies
I'm now the proud owner of 3 turntables!
JVC AL-A1
Sansui SR 222
Pioneer PL100

Had a technics SL1210, but sold it
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Now to my actual question: Now that I have the actual resources, if not the time to own a turntable and a tape cassette player, I need suggestions. Please help.
If it's of any help, I've recently moved to the UAE and am asking around here too. I'd like to build up this system of turntable, cassette player and a good audio system to hear them.
Budget for TT = ?
Cassette decks - there are no good new units. Buy a used one and fix it up. In fact would recommend the same for the TT and the amplifier. Something from the 1970-83 time period - thats the golden age of japanese electronics
Old 12th January 2017, 16:50   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Budget for TT = ?
Cassette decks - there are no good new units. Buy a used one and fix it up. In fact would recommend the same for the TT and the amplifier. Something from the 1970-83 time period - thats the golden age of japanese electronics
I can spend upto 15k and if it's really good, maybe I can up it to 20k. I'll try searching around. How about those new direct-drive turntables that are available now?
rav11stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 16:53   #101
Senior - BHPian

Are you planning to buy in india or can you buy from DXB also ?
Indian options are pricey & limited