Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2008, 00:33   #2071
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,247
Thanked: 3,647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The pic from the D40 is shot in different light.
or with an enhancing filter on.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 00:46   #2072
Senior - BHPian
 
kaushik_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Is something similar available in Delhi/NCR?
hey GD you can probably check up with PAAI forum and there are quite a few amazing photographers there and they should be able to help you out finding something similar.the link is Loading Paai Forum : Photography Arts Association of India, New Delhi.. I'm not a member there so won't be able to tell you about the current scenario but AFAIK these guys regularly used to meet and discuss photography.Or you can find some info on their forum itself.
Regards,
Kaushik
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 09:28   #2073
BHPian
 
redrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 545
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Also put a UV filter in front if your lens, if you don't already have one - it is sorely needed in the bright conditions we have in India. The last thing you can try is use another Canon lens and check the results. Perhaps there is something wrong with your lens.
Other Canon users can probably help you with camera settings. Im not familiar with those being a Nikon user.
Although I still feel that all these tweaks can't explain the difference in the pictures. The pic from the D40 is shot in different light.
Thanks for the input star scream. Does a polarizer bring out that kind of change, my friend using the D40 had a polarizer on. I already have put an UV filter on my 40D.

Could it be really a problem with the lens? when i bought it at R.K here had it thouroghly checked and it seemed to be fine. How do i identify that there is a problem with the lens?
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 12:53   #2074
BHPian
 
kvish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 578
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

I suggest you try and restore the camera settings to 'default' and start the tweaking all over again. Sometimes we would have forgotten to turn off some wierd settings hidden in those menus. (like exposure compensation etc). Just a guess
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 14:21   #2075
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,857
Thanked: 15,420 Times
Default

One is shot after sunset and one in sunlight, so the output will be different. Its like shooting in dark with one camera and complaining that this camera gives dark pictures and the other one bright.
And yes, a polarizer will make a lot of difference.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 15:01   #2076
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

HI Gurus

I have a 4 year old Canon Ixus 430 camera. Its a 4 mega pixel point and shoot - well, I don't know if it does anything more - I just put it on max resolution and point and shoot!!!

It used to give me excellent sharp and vivid pictures. But lately the pics have become extremely 'grainy' - this effect gets even more exaggerated indoors. What could be the reason? Here is an example

Secondly what might be a good camera to buy. Something with some good preloaded options/settings - again lots of landscape and holiday 'spur of the moment' shooting - No time to join Photography classes!!
Attached Images
 

Last edited by kb100 : 27th April 2008 at 15:06.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 18:41   #2077
Senior - BHPian
 
kaushik_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Thanks for the input star scream. Does a polarizer bring out that kind of change, my friend using the D40 had a polarizer on. I already have put an UV filter on my 40D.

Could it be really a problem with the lens? when i bought it at R.K here had it thouroghly checked and it seemed to be fine. How do i identify that there is a problem with the lens?
No. Polarizer won't make that kind of difference.Yes, polarizer will saturate some color but this much difference, doesn't seem possible. Anyway as I've replied on the other photography forum(BPC) it might be just the case that Sun has gone behind the clouds the moment you took the shot.
Also check the Picture Style(previously Parameter settings) of your camera what it is set to.You can change your default Brightness/Contrast/Saturation/Color Tone settings using this menu option. May be yours is set to Neutral.
Regards,
Kaushik
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 19:01   #2078
Senior - BHPian
 
kaushik_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
HI Gurus

I have a 4 year old Canon Ixus 430 camera. Its a 4 mega pixel point and shoot - well, I don't know if it does anything more - I just put it on max resolution and point and shoot!!!

It used to give me excellent sharp and vivid pictures. But lately the pics have become extremely 'grainy' - this effect gets even more exaggerated indoors. What could be the reason? Here is an example

Secondly what might be a good camera to buy. Something with some good preloaded options/settings - again lots of landscape and holiday 'spur of the moment' shooting - No time to join Photography classes!!
KB just would like to know did you put Spot metering mode intentionally ? And the white balance to manual also intentional? From your picture's exif info it looks like so. For the kind of just point and shoot scenarios I would suggest you to put the metering to evaluative mode and white balance to Auto. Spot metering can make lot of difference in exposure depending on the situation as it takes just a very small portion(1-9 degrees) from the center of the viewfinder whereas evaluative will take the whole scene into consideration.Spot metering is very useful if you know how to make use of it but otherwise better stick to evaluative.Let me know if this helps.
Regards,
Kaushik
PS : about P&S cameras there are so many options, if you like to have a camera which is small,easy to fit in your jean's pocket I would suggest to go for another Ixus or Sony W or T series cameras. These are packed with features and very handy.
If you want to learn and have some control over the shots and some reach then go for canon S3 IS/Panasonic FZ series or something similar. Will be bulky but with very good optical zoom.These will also have those features with something here and there.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 20:08   #2079
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
KB just would like to know did you put Spot metering mode intentionally ? And the white balance to manual also intentional? From your picture's exif info it looks like so. For the kind of just point and shoot scenarios I would suggest you to put the metering to evaluative mode and white balance to Auto. Spot metering can make lot of difference in exposure depending on the situation as it takes just a very small portion(1-9 degrees) from the center of the viewfinder whereas evaluative will take the whole scene into consideration.Spot metering is very useful if you know how to make use of it but otherwise better stick to evaluative.Let me know if this helps.
Regards,
Kaushik
KAushik

Thanks ... Checked and discovered that when the camera is on Full auto then it does not even give you the facility of tweaking the WB/ Metering etc. Only when you put it in manual mode do those icons, and their sub-menu/options come alive. And its always in full auto mode.

And this was how it used to be (- I absolutely loved the output on this camera!)
Name:  Old.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  179.2 KB

And a closeup (mmmmmwah!)
Name:  Flowers.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  67.0 KB


My Batteries have lasted all this while - And there are occasions when some of the photos the colour template gets all shot to pieces - the whole picture gets a blue/purple tint - I don't know if its coincidence but the battery also normally packs up immediately afterwards.
Name:  Blue.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  211.1 KB

Am wondering if the battery is the cluprit here - not able to provide the required juice? (but it does last me about 30 shots


And now and full daylight/bright sunlight close range shots come out kinda okay but indoors suck big time! Here are two shots taken on the same day, same setting, and by the same person (my wife!)

First outside
Name:  Daylight.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  190.9 KB

And indoors
Name:  Indoors.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  133.8 KB


See the difference in the two outdoor shots!!

THE GOOD - Light?? - Morning around 9am
Name:  Old.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  179.2 KB

THE UGLY Evening around 5.30 - the so called GOLDEN light that all you photographers rave about ... and I get this!!!
Name:  IMG_0173.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  56.9 KB

HELP HELP HELP!

Last edited by kb100 : 27th April 2008 at 20:14.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 20:42   #2080
Senior - BHPian
 
kaushik_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Hi kB, sorry for confusing you with the metering, never used the auto and similar modes so didn't had the idea that metering is choose by Camera.Just checked in my P&S and that's what you said.
Anyway, what looks like to me is that lightng was bit critical in the indoor shot(with light coming from the window on the right side) and the camera got fooled and metered for that portion of light.The window seems to be perfectly exposed and hence I'm coming to that conclusion.Outdoor shot is perfect anyway.
About the landscapes, well both are quite different lighting scenarios as it seems and you can't compare the output like that. In the second case the light level on the sky was more then light level on the ground and there was quite a bit of difference in lighting.And you camera metered for the ground and to have the ground on correct exposure the sky got washed out. Human eyes can view the difference of that much lighting easily but camera sensor/film doesn't have that much of range(mostly they'ld be around 5 to 8 stop range) . That means if the difference is more then that range then what would happen is ,
1. if you expose for the bright part then the dark part will become underexposed and may become black.
2. if you expose for the dark part then the bright part will be overexposed and whitewashed.(like in your second photo)
Regards,
Kaushik
BTW, you said you get only 30 pics with one recharge ? That's very very less i should say.
And loved that flower picture.nice..
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 20:50   #2081
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,243
Thanked: 628 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Does a polarizer bring out that kind of change, my friend using the D40 had a polarizer on. I already have put an UV filter on my 40D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
No. Polarizer won't make that kind of difference.Yes, polarizer will saturate some color but this much difference, doesn't seem possible. Anyway as I've replied on the other photography forum(BPC) it might be just the case that Sun has gone behind the clouds the moment you took the shot.
Also check the Picture Style(previously Parameter settings) of your camera what it is set to.You can change your default Brightness/Contrast/Saturation/Color Tone settings using this menu option. May be yours is set to Neutral.
Regards,
Kaushik
Redrage, Kaushik is right, any polarizer or enhancing filter won't make the kind of difference that is apparent between yours and your friends picture. After all, your friend's picture has sunlight and shadows on the tree trunks, which yours lacks. No filter can introduce that. Filters can only enhance certain parts of the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I suggest you try and restore the camera settings to 'default' and start the tweaking all over again. Sometimes we would have forgotten to turn off some wierd settings hidden in those menus. (like exposure compensation etc). Just a guess
That is a very good suggestion. Set the camera to factory default and then try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Could it be really a problem with the lens? when i bought it at R.K here had it thouroghly checked and it seemed to be fine. How do i identify that there is a problem with the lens?
That was just a suggestion - I've noticed that my older Nikon lenses have less punch in terms of color than newer ones. That could be a possible reason but I guess your lens is not old. However, try what Kaushik and Kvish have said first.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 21:10   #2082
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,243
Thanked: 628 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
It used to give me excellent sharp and vivid pictures. But lately the pics have become extremely 'grainy' - this effect gets even more exaggerated indoors. What could be the reason? Here is an example

Secondly what might be a good camera to buy. Something with some good preloaded options/settings - again lots of landscape and holiday 'spur of the moment' shooting - No time to join Photography classes!!
kb100, Apart from Kaushik's suggestions, there is really one reason why P&S pics come out grainy. And that is ISO. The sensors of all cameras have a range of sensitivity just like we used to have with film: Speed ratings of 100, 200, 400 etc. The higher the ISO, the more the grain.
In the pictures with high grain, check the ISO. Any number above 400 will be very grainy. The way to fix this is to go manual and tweak settings yourself. There really is no way around it. But do remember there is no free lunch - a low ISO setting will mean slower shutter speed and camera shake.
The camera is trying to do the best job it can given its limitations
For a new camera are you looking at a DLSR or a P&S? A DSLR will be more capable of handing the situations you have described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
...the whole picture gets a blue/purple tint - I don't know if its coincidence but the battery also normally packs up immediately afterwards.
Am wondering if the battery is the cluprit here - not able to provide the required juice? (but it does last me about 30 shots
...indoors suck big time! Here are two shots taken on the same day, same setting, and by the same person (my wife!)

First I think you've hit the nail on the head with the battery. Perhaps the camera doesn't have enough juice to take the picture. How many shots could you take when the battery was new? 30 seems very low.
As far as indoor shots are concerned, they will suck with most P&S cameras. Typically the lenses are slow, the flash power anemic and therefore the ability to get the shot limited.
Most P&S cameras do well in good light. They really can't handle adverse lighting situations. You do pay a price for the convenience of a small camera.

Last edited by StarScream : 27th April 2008 at 21:13.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 22:23   #2083
Senior - BHPian
 
kb100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangy Boy!
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
kb100, Apart from Kaushik's suggestions, there is really one reason why P&S pics come out grainy. And that is ISO. The sensors of all cameras have a range of sensitivity just like we used to have with film: Speed ratings of 100, 200, 400 etc. The higher the ISO, the more the grain.
In the pictures with high grain, check the ISO. Any number above 400 will be very grainy. The way to fix this is to go manual and tweak settings yourself. There really is no way around it. But do remember there is no free lunch - a low ISO setting will mean slower shutter speed and camera shake.
The camera is trying to do the best job it can given its limitations
For a new camera are you looking at a DLSR or a P&S? A DSLR will be more capable of handing the situations you have described.
Hmmm....

I had the ISO@400 and the AWB on Evaluate (not auto) in the MANUAL MODE/SETTINGS ... I was under the assumption if I select full auto it will pick the default settings - but looks like it inst doing that!

Don't know if thats the problem but I have put everything on Auto even in the manual settings.. and am off to Ooty tomorrow !! The results will speak for itself but something tells me this must be it!

And yes... I am willing to pick up a DSLR - something that gives excellent shots with great "depth" - I am a BIG fan of DEPTH in shots!... somehow dont like how most camera's (the P&Ss that is) don't give you the feeling of depth. Depth makes portraits and landscape come alive! I don't mind the bulk - but I do want ONE lens - or maybe max Two (Tele). BUT both of them have to be quick on the draw - that is give me the ability to take a shot on the run without having to dawdle on the settings.

Suggestions are most welcome - along with an indicative price.

Edit: The Batt- 840mAh - used to last me almost 100 odd snaps with flash when new - more if flash was not used as much. I have a spare which really seems to have copped it - gives me only some 15 odd shots now (with flash) - Hence was thinking might make more sense to buy a new camera than go in for two new batteries. Ixus 430 was launched some time in Feb 04 and I picked it up in April 04 - this was the top of the line then with 5 megapixels just getting in . But now 8-10 seem the way to go!

Last edited by kb100 : 27th April 2008 at 22:30.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 23:34   #2084
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,048
Thanked: 13,498 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
And yes... I am willing to pick up a DSLR - something that gives excellent shots with great "depth" - I am a BIG fan of DEPTH in shots!... somehow dont like how most camera's (the P&Ss that is) don't give you the feeling of depth. Depth makes portraits and landscape come alive!
By depth you are referring to Depth of Field (DOF)? Then let me confuse you further. P&S generally offers better depth than dSLR because of their smaller sensor. For a given F-stop, bigger the sensor, lesser the depth.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 23:53   #2085
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,247
Thanked: 3,647 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
By depth you are referring to Depth of Field (DOF)? Then let me confuse you further. P&S generally offers better depth than dSLR because of their smaller sensor. For a given F-stop, bigger the sensor, lesser the depth.
Naughty boy, Samurai!

DOF can be controlled by varying the apature so a DSLR can have the DOF as a P&S if the user wants it so.

DSLRs (even those with APS-C sized sensors) cant be compared with P&Ss. Most P&S sensors are 1/10 the area of a APS-C sensor.
Depth of Field: Optical: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by navin : 28th April 2008 at 00:24.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Digital camera v1p3r Gadgets, Computers & Software 117 3rd September 2006 13:22
Digital Camera Reviews (around Rs. 20,000/-) naveendhyani Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 10th July 2006 12:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks