Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 17:27   #3901
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,164
Thanked: 464 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Why me? i am not Rudra-da, Samurai, Ajay, IT inspector (where is he nowadays), etc.. I shoot for fun.
Because you know your equipment, Navin. That matters to me when I'm taking recommendations from someone for ensuring I'm not buying bad equipment.

And I sincerely hope the Ajay you've mentioned up there, in the league of extrodinary snapping gentlemen, is NOT me.

aK
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 19:59   #3902
BHPian
 
Zenster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 334
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Tanveer, but isn't the18x zoom a bit less? I know the FZ38 Panny is one of the top bridge cam out there to date, but how about something like Nikon CoolPix P90 which has about 24x zoom? Not too heavy [30x] nor too light [18x]. Of course, I haven't read reviews or CoolPix P90 so not sure of it's pic quality. Your comments plz..



Zenster, the price I share is quoted/supported by a retailer called Foto Circle, in Bangalore. The warranty is from Fuji India, not dealer. No idea about Panny prices. You can try txting to this number for B'lore prices. Jayesh Mehta: +919845022654.
Thanks a lot for the info Ajay on Jayesh and FotoCircle, this helps a lot.

Also, I beg to differ on your suggestion for Tanveer a little. We all know the brilliant image quality (atleast from all professional reviews) that the FZ35/38 possesses. And from all comparisons I have read, Nikon bridge cameras just dont have the Image quality similar their DSLR range and looses to the FZ35 too.
Also from so many threads on DPReview, I found some interesting facts which has made me drop HS10 and stick to FZ35. The first being the fact that FZ35 has a 'EZ' or Extra Zoom feature which drops the resolution from 12MP to 5 or 3MP (i think, not a 100% sure) and boosts the Optical zoom to 30x or so. The drop in resolution will not bother anyone who is not printing large sizes or cropping like crazy, since it maintains the image quality.
The second is that if drop in resolution is not acceptable and if 30x Optical zoom is the need of the hour at high res for things like 'Birding', 'Tiger Spotting' etc, then the Panny is used by many with an optional TeleCon. In most cases people used and got great results with the Olymous TCON-17 (1.7x TeleConverter).

Again these are just points of contention and my opinion for benefit of Tanveer and the rest of us.

Hope this helps, who ever wants 30x zoom with better image quality of the HS10 (looking myself in the mirror )
Zenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 20:11   #3903
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Also from so many threads on DPReview, I found some interesting facts which has made me drop HS10 and stick to FZ35. The first being the fact that FZ35 has a 'EZ' or Extra Zoom feature which drops the resolution from 12MP to 5 or 3MP (i think, not a 100% sure) and boosts the Optical zoom to 30x or so. The drop in resolution will not bother anyone who is not printing large sizes or cropping like crazy, since it maintains the image quality.
this is nothing more than cropping the image to 3/5 MP, you can do it yourself in PP. I am told the only thing it helps in is being able to see the full image better on the preview. HS10 also has such a feature called "instant zoom" (up on selector button). I never used such things, can always crop later if needed.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 20:51   #3904
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,164
Thanked: 464 Times
Post ~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Thanks a lot for the info Ajay on Jayesh and FotoCircle, this helps a lot.

Also, I beg to differ on your suggestion for Tanveer a little.
You're welcome, Zenster.

Suggestion to Tanveer? Me? No dude, you've got my post wrong. I was only asking his opinion/thought on why not the 24x cam instead of 18x or 30x.. Tanveer knows way more about the cameras and photography than I do right now. I take his suggestions.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 22:12   #3905
BHPian
 
Zenster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 334
Thanked: 93 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
You're welcome, Zenster.

Suggestion to Tanveer? Me? No dude, you've got my post wrong. I was only asking his opinion/thought on why not the 24x cam instead of 18x or 30x.. Tanveer knows way more about the cameras and photography than I do right now. I take his suggestions.

I guess I actually did get your post wrong, my apologize . Also Tanveer, you and the rest can guide novices like me and clarify if I am missing something (in my previous post).

Thanks again.
Zenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 23:53   #3906
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,460
Thanked: 3,846 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Because you know your equipment, Navin.
I know very few cameras. There are many (>90%) I have not used. Still it is not the camera - a 40D for example will not take any poorer picture than a Nikon D90. All those Canon-Nikon warriors forget that it is the monkey behind the lens that is the real limitation.

Trust me I dont think many of can focus faster than the AF of a D550 or 40D. I have a friend who refuses to use AF believing that humans are faster. Kya kaurn. His loss.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 23:57   #3907
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 686 Times
Default

Guys,

I checked the HS10 today in store here. 29990 with B&W. 2 yrs. 4GB memory card and carry pouch / bag. Is it a good deal or should I check elsewhere? Also tried my hands on P100, wifey rejected it. I am not an ace at this, just a begineer. Please advice. Also saw the Sony HX1. Nice one. A friend informed me a place here where I might get HS10 at abot 26500 without B&W. Not sure if I want that.

Thanks.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 00:49   #3908
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,952
Thanked: 15,632 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Tanveer, but isn't the18x zoom a bit less? I know the FZ38 Panny is one of the top bridge cam out there to date, but how about something like Nikon CoolPix P90 which has about 24x zoom? Not too heavy [30x] nor too light [18x]. Of course, I haven't read reviews or CoolPix P90 so not sure of it's pic quality. Your comments plz...
I need a camera with full control in video.
So either I buy a camcorder, or I spend half of that and get a digicam.
Now nobody does video like Panasonic, whether its DSLR, or whether its P&S. Since we want a P&S with excellent video, right now the only superzoom in the market which gives you camcorder like control over video, and does not make clicking sounds while focusing, is the FZ35.
Sure SX20 is nice, but its more expensive, and there is no manual control over video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Also, I beg to differ on your suggestion for Tanveer a little. We all know the brilliant image quality (atleast from all professional reviews) that the FZ35/38 possesses. And from all comparisons I have read, Nikon bridge cameras just dont have the Image quality similar their DSLR range and looses to the FZ35 too.
Also from so many threads on DPReview, I found some interesting facts which has made me drop HS10 and stick to FZ35. The first being the fact that FZ35 has a 'EZ' or Extra Zoom feature which drops the resolution from 12MP to 5 or 3MP (i think, not a 100% sure) and boosts the Optical zoom to 30x or so. The drop in resolution will not bother anyone who is not printing large sizes or cropping like crazy, since it maintains the image quality.
The second is that if drop in resolution is not acceptable and if 30x Optical zoom is the need of the hour at high res for things like 'Birding', 'Tiger Spotting' etc, then the Panny is used by many with an optional TeleCon. In most cases people used and got great results with the Olymous TCON-17 (1.7x TeleConverter).
I don't worry about IQ of HS10. Its actually very good, esp if you have a RAW image to play with.
I am totally surprised with the IQ at 720mm. Its too good. It should not be this good. But the video sucks. No manual controls at all, and manual zoom, though is something i love, kills it for video. Also unlike canon and panasonic, the focus motor is not silent, and unless you are videoing a landscape(why would you do that now), its annoying.
As for TCON, if I get the panny. I will pick your brains on how and what and where to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
I guess I actually did get your post wrong, my apologize . Also Tanveer, you and the rest can guide novices like me and clarify if I am missing something (in my previous post).

Thanks again.
No need to apologize. I am a total n00b when it comes to digital cameras. I look to learn lot of things from this thread!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 10:28   #3909
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 297
Thanked: 106 Times
Default

Manual zoom on the HS10 is one thing that left me doubtful.
Vivek, how do you find using it for videos? Is it comfortable? Also is there a noticable sound in the videos when zooming?

Also, many people on the net claim the image quality is further enhanced with the new patch for HS10. Have you tried it yet?
m8002? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 11:07   #3910
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,460
Thanked: 3,846 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So either I buy a camcorder, or I spend half of that and get a digicam.

Now nobody does video like Panasonic,
I dont think a digicam will do video as well as a dedicated videocam. When we were looking for a video cam to replace our Panny 851 DV tape cam we considered getting a digicam too. I tested a few and found that a videocam like the Sony CX7, Panny SD9 and Canon HF10 (this was the final three we chose) was much better for real video.

We eliminated the Sony as it used Memory stick which is far more expensive than than SD. Out of the box, the SD9 was a bit underprocessed while the Canon was a bit overprocessed. In regular use the grain of underprocessing is more disturbing that the softness of overprocessing. so we went with the HF10. That was about 2 years ago.

The FZ35 was not available at the time and with it's nice lens it might outdo the HF10/SD9/CX7 - I dont know I have not compared the output. Digital photography changes quite fast.

Thw FZ35's specs say 1280x720 not 1920x1080 but paper specs are decieving. The Nikon P100 for example looks good on paper but many a review (from Cnet to dpreview's user comments to testfreaks) has claimed it to be noisy at any ISO but I have yet to test this camera myself.

Me, I am still waiting for cameras like the FZ35, HS10 and P100 to inspire Canon to produce that SX1 replacement (this way I can use the same flash for my 40D and ultrazoom P&S) based on the G11/S90 sensor and 58 or 62mm version of the S3's f2.8-3.5 lens.

Last edited by navin : 29th April 2010 at 11:43.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 13:15   #3911
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,164
Thanked: 464 Times
Post Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
I guess I actually did get your post wrong, my apologize.
Aree, for what? No need for any apologies, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Trust me I dont think many of can focus faster than the AF of a D550 or 40D. I have a friend who refuses to use AF believing that humans are faster. Kya kaurn. His loss.
I understand what you're saying here. When I went to the Canon Image lounge a month prior to check out the 500D, I played around with it for a while there to understand the camera [never owned a Canon].

At one time, I panned the camera fast across the showroom and stopped at a chopper bike [they have in the showroom] and clicked it. The AF was terribly quick and I snapped in a second. Photo was brilliantly clear, no blur [this is the most layman terms I can explain in]..

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

I checked the HS10 today in store here. 29990 with B&W. 2 yrs. 4GB memory card and carry pouch / bag. Is it a good deal or should I check elsewhere? Also tried my hands on P100, wifey rejected it. I am not an ace at this, just a begineer. Please advice. Also saw the Sony HX1. Nice one. A friend informed me a place here where I might get HS10 at abot 26500 without B&W. Not sure if I want that.

Thanks.
Harshal, the email I got from FujiFilm India was that the 29,999/- offer was an introductory price only and will not last forever. They didn't mention how long this introductory price will be in effect. The price, when rolled back, will scale up to 32,999/-. Just wanted to share this with you. Try contacting Fuji India if you like more details from them.. They reply fairly quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The FZ35 was not available at the time and with it's nice lens it might outdo the HF10/SD9/CX7 - I dont know I have not compared the output.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I need a camera with full control in video.
So either I buy a camcorder, or I spend half of that and get a digicam.
Now nobody does video like Panasonic, whether its DSLR, or whether its P&S. Since we want a P&S with excellent video, right now the only superzoom in the market which gives you camcorder like control over video, and does not make clicking sounds while focusing, is the FZ35.
This is why I asked. I get a fully understandable explanation and helps me plan for later .. I wanted to get the HS10 so my wife could use it too, but she voted for me to go with the EOS 550D so we don't compromise on DSLR quality. I will look to gift her the Panny FZ35 next year, if it is still in production. Thanks Tanveer and Navin for your info.

aK
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 13:46   #3912
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 686 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post



Harshal, the email I got from FujiFilm India was that the 29,999/- offer was an introductory price only and will not last forever. They didn't mention how long this introductory price will be in effect. The price, when rolled back, will scale up to 32,999/-. Just wanted to share this with you. Try contacting Fuji India if you like more details from them.. They reply fairly quickly.


Thats what even the store SP told me. that this is a limited period offer and prices will go back to 32,xxx. I think i will make my pick by end of today as i am off to a holiday tomorrow and might as well use it right away and learn the features along. First trip is gonna be trial and error. I feel 29,999 with 2 yrs warranty and 4GB card and bag / pouch is a fair deal.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 18:49   #3913
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Manual zoom on the HS10 is one thing that left me doubtful.
Vivek, how do you find using it for videos? Is it comfortable? Also is there a noticable sound in the videos when zooming?

Also, many people on the net claim the image quality is further enhanced with the new patch for HS10. Have you tried it yet?
one way to get satisfactory videos is to stay under 300 mm. while zooming it does shake the camera, but it' not that bad. the worst problem is noise of aperture and autofocus motor. If you are not shooting vastly varying conditions, it should be quite ok. It's not a perfect video camera but for the features i will still keep it.

here is a small tripod mounted video in full HD, I hope to shoot some this weekend outdoors if the weather is good. look for more videos on my youtube channel.




Autofocus motor goes crazy if you shoot closer objects at 30X zoom when it hunts for correct focus, especially in low light conditions. but I could not replicate the noise every time. mounted on tripod, almost all issues are taken care of.

I have applied the new firmware and it has taken care of the aggressive noise reduction, which means I don't have to shoo raw, which means fast writing times. no changes were done for video.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 00:40   #3914
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,952
Thanked: 15,632 Times
Default

If Fuji official price is 29999, then many dealers will be selling for 26-27K.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 02:52   #3915
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 527
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
stretch a little and you may get panasonic FZ35. It was my second choice after the Fuji HS10 that costed 500.
I don't know why, for cameras i always feel like going for canon or nikon or at the least sony. I wanted to know any of the models within these brands, which are of good buy as of now. Preferably within $300/-
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Digital camera v1p3r Gadgets, Computers & Software 117 3rd September 2006 13:22
Digital Camera Reviews (around Rs. 20,000/-) naveendhyani Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 10th July 2006 12:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks