Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 14:28   #4171
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default

A new comparison of SX-30IS with FZ100
A Superzoom Shootout

For those too lazy to read it all, here is the summary.
FZ-100 wins by a moderate margin.
Image quality of both cams is similer, however Panasonic wins because
1. Video - Full HD(1080i) with full manual control in video(shutter speed aperture etc.,)
2. RAW capability
3. Some Economical advantages
4. Lens hood supplied with FZ-100, and it can take standard 52mm filters
5. Good 1.7X telephoto lenses available
6. Better Image stabilization
7. Lesser CA and purple fringing

Canon wins as it has a longer zoom(840mm vs 640mm of canon)
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 14:47   #4172
BHPian
 
deepakchiniwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 347
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Just checked in jjmehta online store and yes, it has hit the market. Super killer pricing of Rs. 26995 with standard freebies thrown in. Thats just 3000 more than the SX20IS i bought a month back
I guess the price is 24995/-
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-canonsx30is.jpg  

deepakchiniwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 16:10   #4173
BHPian
 
Zenster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 334
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A new comparison of SX-30IS with FZ100
A Superzoom Shootout

For those too lazy to read it all, here is the summary.
FZ-100 wins by a moderate margin.
Image quality of both cams is similer, however Panasonic wins because
1. Video - Full HD(1080i) with full manual control in video(shutter speed aperture etc.,)
2. RAW capability
3. Some Economical advantages
4. Lens hood supplied with FZ-100, and it can take standard 52mm filters
5. Good 1.7X telephoto lenses available
6. Better Image stabilization
7. Lesser CA and purple fringing

Canon wins as it has a longer zoom(840mm vs 640mm of canon)
Great Comparo, Thanks TSK. I think you missed the frame rate difference (11FPS (FZ100) vs ~1FPS (SX30)) in your summary. Thought of mentioning it for people like me who intend to freeze fast moving subjects (like kids running around, nearly impossible to frame ).

Last edited by Zenster : 19th October 2010 at 16:21.
Zenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 17:36   #4174
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,823
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

The MRP for 30IS is 28995 and 20IS for 24995. Everyone offering 30IS for 28K. Wonder how Mehta is offering 26K.

Bad deal for those who brought the 20IS recently. The reason why I waited.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 18:44   #4175
BHPian
 
ExtremeTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 379
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
I guess the price is 24995/-
Yes, i didnt notice the price at the bottom and went by what was shown at the top. Guess, i didnt like to know that it is just a grand more than my recently bought 20IS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Great Comparo, Thanks TSK. I think you missed the frame rate difference (11FPS (FZ100) vs ~1FPS (SX30)) in your summary. Thought of mentioning it for people like me who intend to freeze fast moving subjects (like kids running around, nearly impossible to frame ).
THis is another great feature, yes sirrie. I can vouch for it a hundred times as i am facing the same issue with my SX20IS, low frame rate(0.7FPS) which becomes a serious short coming while shooting wildlife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
The MRP for 30IS is 28995 and 20IS for 24995. Everyone offering 30IS for 28K. Wonder how Mehta is offering 26K.
Bad deal for those who brought the 20IS recently. The reason why I waited.
Bad deal? Worst deal, i say! I am kicking myself for being impulsive. JJMehta is quite reputated and i think the pricing is sheer competitive rather than shady.
With the comparision Tanveer provided, do evaluate other options as well.

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 19th October 2010 at 18:45.
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 20:44   #4176
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,823
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

I am considering the 30IS only because its Canon. I am used to Canon from the many P&S I had to the 350D which I recently sold. All reviews say that the FZ100 is marginally better.

Since its only marginally better, I dont want to take a chance with another brand and that little brand loyality is also kicking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Bad deal? Worst deal, i say! I am kicking myself for being impulsive.
When buying electronics, always better to wait and get the latest. The older models tends to lose market value fast.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 19th October 2010 at 20:47.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 21:23   #4177
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Yes, i didnt notice the price at the bottom and went by what was shown at the top. Guess, i didnt like to know that it is just a grand more than my recently bought 20IS
Price at the top right corner is correct. The one below looks like a copy paste form some other model.
Another site is offering sx30is for 27,200
Canon Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Digital Camera - Cameraciti

Anyone knows where in Bangalore can i get a good deal for Panasonic FZ35?
Most of the shops don't even sell Panasonic cameras
The least I have is 21,500 from JJMehta.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 21:53   #4178
BHPian
 
Zenster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 334
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Price at the top right corner is correct. The one below looks like a copy paste form some other model.
Another site is offering sx30is for 27,200
Canon Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Digital Camera - Cameraciti

Anyone knows where in Bangalore can i get a good deal for Panasonic FZ35?
Most of the shops don't even sell Panasonic cameras
The least I have is 21,500 from JJMehta.
You can try with Jayesh Mehta's "Foto Circle" store (JJ Mehta's Brother i think). Contact number is 9845022654 the last time i checked. Proces shud be comparable. Hope this helps.
Zenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 12:15   #4179
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,427
Thanked: 678 Times
Default

SX30 seems like a good deal. I was told by a lot of friends to wait for this when i got the Fuji HS10.

What i want to know from the experts here is, what are the key differences between the 2? have i got myself an old / outgoing technology?

The reason i got the Fuji was that I wasn't prepared for a DSLR and hence bought this with the usage intention of 4-5 years and then upgrade myself to a mid range DSLR.

Cheers!!
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 13:33   #4180
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 3,642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I am considering the 30IS only because its Canon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A new comparison of SX-30IS with FZ100
FZ-100 wins by a moderate margin.
Mail4, it was a "moderate" margin. I am a Canon user (S90, D40, HF10) so am equally disappointed.

In my view the feature that kills the Canon is it terrible frame rate. 1FPS? What is Canon thinking? 3 FPS should be a minimum after all if Fuji and Panny can do 10 FPS why cant Canon?

I agree with everthing in that last paragraph that Mr. Reichmann said
" Take the focal length range of the SX30, the high frame rates and raw mode of the FZ100, put in a solid manual controlled video mode with decent bit rate, add a terrific EVF... ." only I'd add a 1/1.6" sensor and a 62mm filter thread. THe Fuji HS10 has 58mm and their F200EXR had a 1/1.6" sensor.

Canon/Panny should use their S90/LX3 (or S95/LX5) sensor, tack on a fast (f2.8-4) 20x zoom lens (24-480/25-500) and for a about $600 dollars they would eat the market. $600 aint that much. The SX1 sold for that when it was first out.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 13:40   #4181
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,852
Thanked: 15,407 Times
Default

Actually for somebody buying because its canon SX30 is a much better choice than FZ-100 because a canon lover will not really find the flaws to bad. Such is the mindset when you are a fan!

That said 52mm filters are fairly common and available cheap.
The FZ-35 has 46mm filter thread. If I ever upgrade that cam, I will have to sell my filters too!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 16:02   #4182
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
You can try with Jayesh Mehta's "Foto Circle" store (JJ Mehta's Brother i think). Contact number is 9845022654 the last time i checked. Proces shud be comparable. Hope this helps.
Thanks Zenster. I called that number, and checked the price. His quote is little higher than JJMehta. I am planning to visit the shop this weekend.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:22   #4183
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
The reason i got the Fuji was that I wasn't prepared for a DSLR and hence bought this with the usage intention of 4-5 years and then upgrade myself to a mid range DSLR.

Cheers!!
I bought the HS10 with the same intent as you, however with a time frame of 1-2 years before I upgrade to a DSLR (mid range / high end). I do not know too much of the SX30IS, but some of the differences that I have picked up:

35x - 30x Optical Zoom
No RAW - RAW file format
1 - 10 fame per second
CCD - backlit CMOS Sensor
14 - 10 MP


Has the technology changed? Not really, the cameras are just different.
Have you been shortchanged? No.
Keep learning ...
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:49   #4184
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,427
Thanked: 678 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I bought the HS10 with the same intent as you, however with a time frame of 1-2 years before I upgrade to a DSLR (mid range / high end). I do not know too much of the SX30IS, but some of the differences that I have picked up:

35x - 30x Optical Zoom
No RAW - RAW file format
1 - 10 fame per second
CCD - backlit CMOS Sensor
14 - 10 MP


Has the technology changed? Not really, the cameras are just different.
Have you been shortchanged? No.
Keep learning ...
Hey,
thanks for the response. So how you getting along with the HS10? I am doing just fine. Cant get my hands around a lot of things, mainly because i am still new to the world of Manual Photography. Over all from my usage i have found 2 major negatives of this camera.

1. Battery life: I am not at all happy with the battery life. I keep 3 sets of rechargeable batteries with me at all times during travelling. 1 set of fully charged batteries gives me max 350 images. On the other hand my cousins Canon SX20 (which also runs on 4 AA batteries) gave him over 500 during our last trip.

2. Grainy images : Upon clicking long shot images i see a lot of grains in them.


Any more inputs from you are welcome.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 22nd October 2010 at 15:51.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:58   #4185
BHPian
 
ExtremeTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 379
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
1. cousins Canon SX20 (which also runs on 4 AA batteries) gave him over 500 during our last trip.
2. Grainy images : Upon clicking long shot images i see a lot of grains in them.
Which batteries are you using? I use Eneloop on my SX20IS and the 4AAs give me 400+ shots, including 10-15 videos of 2 odd mins length at 1280x720 res.
I am facing the same issue with grainy images at 560mm (80x). Canon seems to have carried on the legacy with SX30IS.
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Digital camera v1p3r Gadgets, Computers & Software 117 3rd September 2006 13:22
Digital Camera Reviews (around Rs. 20,000/-) naveendhyani Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 10th July 2006 12:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks