Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 15:09   #5401
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 899 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Thinking of buying a compact 1" sensor camera.

Anyone using the Canon g7x ii or the g9x ? Pricing is better than Sony's. Would appreciate any feedback. I've gone through the reviews on the web.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 17th February 2017 at 15:10.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 22:07   #5402
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 526
Thanked: 101 Times
Thumbs up Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Thinking of buying a compact 1" sensor camera.

Anyone using the Canon g7x ii or the g9x ? Pricing is better than Sony's. Would appreciate any feedback. I've gone through the reviews on the web.
Nothing comes closer to Sony RX series, for form factor. I bought RX 100 III recently, and it fits in my point n shoot camera bag.

BTW, it has a one inch sensor!
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 05:20   #5403
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 899 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Nothing comes closer to Sony RX series, for form factor. I bought RX 100 III recently, and it fits in my point n shoot camera bag.

BTW, it has a one inch sensor!
The G9x is actually smaller and lighter than the Rx 100 III but with a slower lens. The G7x is slightly larger than the Rx 100 III due to the longer lens. Both are significantly cheaper than the Rx 100 III. The G7x is available for 36.5 k , which was my main reason for considering the Canon over Sony.

All 3 use the same 1 inch sensor from Sony.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 07:55   #5404
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,150
Thanked: 4,634 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

I am having a Canon SX 120 IS. I can't seem to find a replacement battery anywhere. Any leads/online store?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 11:03   #5405
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,150
Thanked: 4,634 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Guys, the battery spec reads as CR-1220 in 3 volts. The camera was purchased in 2010 IIRC. I believe the battery would be needing a replacement.

The said battery in this spec is no where to be found. Not even online. Any help here? Camera is Canon SX 120 IS.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 11:32   #5406
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 361
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

I guess you can try a nearby stationery store or a watch repair centre.

I also see it available on Amazon India website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Guys, the battery spec reads as CR-1220 in 3 volts. The camera was purchased in 2010 IIRC. I believe the battery would be needing a replacement.

The said battery in this spec is no where to be found. Not even online. Any help here? Camera is Canon SX 120 IS.
MuraliR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 11:37   #5407
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,102
Thanked: 3,682 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Guys, the battery spec reads as CR-1220 in 3 volts. The camera was purchased in 2010 IIRC. I believe the battery would be needing a replacement.

The said battery in this spec is no where to be found. Not even online. Any help here? Camera is Canon SX 120 IS.
Almost certainly it is a Lithium Battery (hence 3V). Any other battery will be 1.5V. Two options get two thinner 1.5V Silver Oxide batteries, or get a smaller Lithium and make a 'carrier' for it. I cannot see any other way.

Let me give a contrary example, the Olympus OM2 used two 1.5V Silver Oxides, but for some time a 3V Lithium cell was available, as a replacement
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 12:05   #5408
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,150
Thanked: 4,634 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
I guess you can try a nearby stationery store or a watch repair centre.

I also see it available on Amazon India website.
NA at any local shops. I tried online but rating were different. Could you share a link please? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Almost certainly it is a Lithium Battery (hence 3V). Any other battery will be 1.5V. Two options get two thinner 1.5V Silver Oxide batteries, or get a smaller Lithium and make a 'carrier' for it. I cannot see any other way.
I am unsure if 2 1.5V lithium battery would fit as dedicated slot is just for one battery.
I didn't get the term 'carrier'...could you please explain it a bit? Thanks
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 12:13   #5409
BHPian
 
BenjiRoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tamilnadu
Posts: 576
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Guys, the battery spec reads as CR-1220 in 3 volts. The camera was purchased in 2010 IIRC. I believe the battery would be needing a replacement.

The said battery in this spec is no where to be found. Not even online. Any help here? Camera is Canon SX 120 IS.
This looks like the date / memory battery. It is available online on eBay.
I'm not sure which seller is reliable. But it's cheap and you can take a chance.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 12:39   #5410
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,150
Thanked: 4,634 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
This looks like the date / memory battery. It is available online on eBay.
I'm not sure which seller is reliable. But it's cheap and you can take a chance.
Thanks. I have put an order.

One question, will that battery's performance have any impact on the main battery performance? Camera was unused for long and even Duracell AA battery wasn't good for 10 mins of use. I had removed the AA batteries [always do when storing] but never removed the smaller battery.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 12:51   #5411
BHPian
 
BenjiRoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tamilnadu
Posts: 576
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Thanks. I have put an order.

One question, will that battery's performance have any impact on the main battery performance? Camera was unused for long and even Duracell AA battery wasn't good for 10 mins of use. I had removed the AA batteries [always do when storing] but never removed the smaller battery.
Based on a quick google search, it looks like the SX120IS did have a low battery issue when the smaller battery was affected.
Sp try with the new batteries and see if the life improves.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 12:58   #5412
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,150
Thanked: 4,634 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
the SX120IS did have a low battery issue when the smaller battery was affected.
Sp try with the new batteries and see if the life improves.
That sure does help. Thanks
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 13:16   #5413
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,102
Thanked: 3,682 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
NA at any local shops. I tried online but rating were different. Could you share a link please? Thank you.



I am unsure if 2 1.5V lithium battery would fit as dedicated slot is just for one battery.
I didn't get the term 'carrier'...could you please explain it a bit? Thanks
Carreir means a housing in which you can put the available cell(s). Basically it is to hold the smaller cell in place. The carrier must have diameter smaller than the original or at most equal, and thickness likewise.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 20:32   #5414
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 526
Thanked: 101 Times
Question Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The G9x is actually smaller and lighter than the Rx 100 III but with a slower lens. The G7x is slightly larger than the Rx 100 III due to the longer lens. Both are significantly cheaper than the Rx 100 III. The G7x is available for 36.5 k , which was my main reason for considering the Canon over Sony.

All 3 use the same 1 inch sensor from Sony.
Now that you said, I checked them out. I just bought Sony RX100 III, a month back for $570/- and G9X is around $450/-, and yes the form factor is much better than Sony. But, I went through some comparison pictures on imaging resource and you know what, from the image comparison RX100 III scores over G9X. So am cool.. almost had thoughts of returning Sony and getting the Canon.

Thank You!
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 09:17   #5415
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 361
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Okay, there are two different batteries -

One for the date/time which can be the small CR-1220 in 3 volts.

The other would be to actually turn the camera ON, or use the flash - this uses AA battery.
For this, you would use a set of 1900/2100 mAH AA batteries.

http://www.amazon.in/Maxell-CR1220-L...220+in+3+volts.

http://www.amazon.in/Sony-2500mAh-Re...geable+battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
NA at any local shops. I tried online but rating were different. Could you share a link please? Thank you.



I am unsure if 2 1.5V lithium battery would fit as dedicated slot is just for one battery.
I didn't get the term 'carrier'...could you please explain it a bit? Thanks
MuraliR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Digital camera v1p3r Gadgets, Computers & Software 117 3rd September 2006 13:22
Digital Camera Reviews (around Rs. 20,000/-) naveendhyani Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 10th July 2006 12:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks