Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2007, 15:03   #886
BHPian
 
rockyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 253
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Hey Raj - Yes - I do own a 2004 Bolero Glx and i travel on it quite often. NIce to see you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajagopal_j View Post
@rockyb, I think we have quite a bit in common, New to T-BHP, own Boleros (i hope u do, i see one in you profile pic) and I own a Panasonic FZ10, have been wanting to upgrade to FZ50 but then cant let go of the FZ10.

Raj!.
Hi Lambu

FZ 18 is has got very good review. Not seen onein real. But you have to compromise on higher ISO specially if want to shoot at low light. For daytime and outdoor it will be fantastic. But there is no replacement for a slr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Any comments on Panasonic FZ 18 launched in Aug. Planning to buy it one shortly

Thanks
Hey Torqy - nice to see u here too - but i have a simple FZ 50 - no slr

Rocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Another one here New to T-BHP, own a Bolero and an Olympus E-500

-- Torqy

Last edited by Rtech : 13th September 2007 at 15:23.
rockyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 15:21   #887
BHPian
 
shrivz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pune, MH12
Posts: 603
Thanked: 92 Times
Default

Gogi, what ishan says is right, its a big camera, not convenient to carry around and it isnt an easy to use point and shoot by any means!

There are good Sony Point and Shoot Cameras available these days which deliver good results. You'd be astonished at the results obtained by simple P&S cameras. Most of the times its the bad focus which ruins the picture.

I personally prefer Fujis since they are the pioneers in the CCD technology, but then again, I'm a noob at photography, just been playing around, observing and learning.

Last edited by shrivz : 13th September 2007 at 15:22.
shrivz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 16:20   #888
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,972
Thanked: 3,390 Times
Default

My hunt for my first digicam ended with the purchase of a Canon IXUS 75, which costed me AED 1099 (UAE Dirhams) along with a 1GB SD card and case thrown in.

While i did initially contemplated the IXUS 85 and also the Sony T20, this was the final decision, taking into account budget, and also my requirements.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 16:23   #889
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Here ya go: Sifymall - Rs.21,499!!

JJ Mehta also sells it, but for a bit more.
In Palika Bazar - Delhi the rates are -

D40 - 20,500/-
D40x - 29,000/-
350D - 24,500/-
400D - 29,500/-

One of my friends bought a 400D last Saturday. We also checked out Olympus SLRs, but weren't too impressed with those. Dearler only had 410 body; it is very smallish and provides no grip whatsoever. He only had dummy for 510 and required 2-3 days time to procure one, that too once we paid some advance. Evidently 510 is a slow-moving camera.

400D is also smallish but provides decent grip. The 9-point AF system is useless, all points are congested towards center and don't help much. The selector wheel is at the top of camera instead of in front of it.

I will upload some of it's photos this week-end.

Cheers

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 16:29   #890
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,521
Thanked: 7,202 Times
Default

Looking at these rates, i am seriously contemplating a nice DSLR. Which is a better one between Nikon D40x and Canon 400D?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 16:41   #891
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,045
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
In Palika Bazar - Delhi the rates are -

D40 - 20,500/-
D40x - 29,000/-
350D - 24,500/-
400D - 29,500/-

One of my friends bought a 400D last Saturday. We also checked out Olympus SLRs, but weren't too impressed with those. Dearler only had 410 body; it is very smallish and provides no grip whatsoever. He only had dummy for 510 and required 2-3 days time to procure one, that too once we paid some advance. Evidently 510 is a slow-moving camera.
Slow moving only in India, otherwise E-510 is a way better camera than all the ones you have listed. Even the kit lenses of Olympus are way better compared to competitor kit lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Looking at these rates, i am seriously contemplating a nice DSLR. Which is a better one between Nikon D40x and Canon 400D?
Don't be fooled by the low prices. That's probably just body prices. To get good results from the dSLR, you need good lenses and they often cost more than than the body.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 16:48   #892
BHPian
 
Hellcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 222
Thanked: Once
Default

"Which is a better one between Nikon D40x and Canon 400D?"

I had the same confusion, In my opinion both the cameras are equally good.
I would suggest you have a hands on experience on both and then decide.

I got the 400D (personal choice)

What I like most about the 400D compared to the D40X.

- 9 focus points, very useful.
- Automatic sensor cleaning system is a plus
- wider lens selection compared to the D40x.


Hellcat.
Hellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 16:52   #893
Team-BHP Support
 
Rtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,769
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

Quote:
That's probably just body prices.
body and kit lens price. All these come with a fairly decent kit lens. Or so I've read, and Sam's pics show!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 16:55   #894
BHPian
 
Hellcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 222
Thanked: Once
Default

@benbsb29- Congratulations for you new camera. Good choice!

Hellcat
Hellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 17:02   #895
BHPian
 
prashant.dinkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ellicott City/New Delhi
Posts: 77
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I got mine from US with 2gb sandisk extreme II SD card, 8 nos 2600 mAh rechargable batteries + fast charger for around 15k's 3 months back.

In delhi the cam is available in grey market b/w 12-13k's, add 2-3 k's more for SD card, rechargable batteries and charger.

Do invest in a high speed SD card if you plan to shoot in burst mode and shoot video's.
Hi ,

Dont we get a chrger as a standard accessory in the box?
Do you know any shop for reliable grey stuff except pallika bazar and gaffar market ?

Thanks & Regards
Prashant Dinkar
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2007, 17:04   #896
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,521
Thanked: 7,202 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
"Which is a better one between Nikon D40x and Canon 400D?"

I had the same confusion, In my opinion both the cameras are equally good.
I would suggest you have a hands on experience on both and then decide.

I got the 400D (personal choice)

What I like most about the 400D compared to the D40X.

- 9 focus points, very useful.
- Automatic sensor cleaning system is a plus
- wider lens selection compared to the D40x.


Hellcat.
Thanks. I am sold between the two for sure. Will go in detail and compare images and then finally decide. I am tilting more towards Nikon as I have 2 canon powershot cameras. Plus, the nikkor kit lens are said by many as better than canon ones. Btw, they both come with same type of lens 18-55. Dust cleaning and additional focus points is something i have to decide if i am willing to compromise.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 09:29   #897
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Slow moving only in India, otherwise E-510 is a way better camera than all the ones you have listed. Even the kit lenses of Olympus are way better compared to competitor kit lenses.
Righto. E-510 comes with a 14-42 lens, which is much better than 18-55 kit lenses of both Canon and Nikon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Don't be fooled by the low prices. That's probably just body prices. To get good results from the dSLR, you need good lenses and they often cost more than than the body.
These prices include kit-lenses and these lenses are decent although not as good as the Olympus ones.

Cheers

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 09:31   #898
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks. I am sold between the two for sure. Will go in detail and compare images and then finally decide. I am tilting more towards Nikon as I have 2 canon powershot cameras. Plus, the nikkor kit lens are said by many as better than canon ones. Btw, they both come with same type of lens 18-55. Dust cleaning and additional focus points is something i have to decide if i am willing to compromise.
Dust-cleaning is definitely useful, but the 9-point AF system isn't. The points are all congested towards the center and aren't any more helpful than my D50's 5-point AF system.

Cheers

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 12:08   #899
BHPian
 
kvish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 578
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Righto. E-510 comes with a 14-42 lens, which is much better than 18-55 kit lenses of both Canon and Nikon.
Each company has very strange multipliers, In case of Olympus 14-42 mm is equivalent to 28-84mm. (confusing isnt it) Still wide though. And you are right, quality of lenses are supposed to be much better.
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2007, 12:30   #900
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,045
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Each company has very strange multipliers, In case of Olympus 14-42 mm is equivalent to 28-84mm. (confusing isnt it) Still wide though. And you are right, quality of lenses are supposed to be much better.
It all depends on the sensor size relative to the full frame size. The Olympus Zuiko has very few lenses compared to Canikon, but the lens quality is high even for the cheapest lens.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Digital camera v1p3r Gadgets, Computers & Software 117 3rd September 2006 13:22
Digital Camera Reviews (around Rs. 20,000/-) naveendhyani Gadgets, Computers & Software 107 10th July 2006 12:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks