Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th June 2008, 12:41   #166
BHPian

@aagoswami

Where in baroda do you buy computer stuff from ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I have checked my heatsink installation. Its perfect along with the thermal paste. Yes My cabinet lacks proper airflow.

I have assembled 4 AMD and around 16 Intel systems and none of them are haveing problems. My fan runs at approximately 3300 rpm since startup.

AMD has lost edge, and thats why I recommend Intel. Now we are in multimedia stage and we do want performance. No body would mind spending 2K for intel setup.
You are perfect in your guess.

Yes, there is no replacement for proper PSU. I thought that 280W is suffiient as K9MM-V as X2 wont eat more than 200W as my processor itself is 65W. Rest of the entire system would eat around 130-135W because there wasnt any external graphics card and the onboard graphics are always sufficient for me as I am not a gamer. I hate PC games.
But it failed on a rainy day ( 280 W ). I wonder how you came to know about that.
I prefer now to have 400W, and its working properly. I am too late to make any changes now, and I will have to use this overheating setup for atleast 4 years.

I soon plan to upgrade to Antec or Asus cabinet and things would be better.
All my upgrades are in the old intex cabinet, and now the latest motherboard just about fits into it. yes the northbridge also gets hot and this motherboard is fanless design. So a new cabinet is a necessacity and not a want.

Can somebody help me for flashing BIOS?
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 13:08   #167
BHPian

Default A Bit OT

Buddy Aagoswami,

Please try not to get sentimental & opinionated with computers and softwares as they can be painstakingly nasty at their best. You have faced some issues with AMD processor heating which could have been due to any reason unique to your comp. You can't blame all AMD products for just one faulty setup. Intex & i-ball are pretty much low-budget products and they just do the job they have been made for. If you want better performance, drive a Ferrari than trying to port a Ferrari engine in Lancer.

Don't feel offended but you opinions were just so one-sided.
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2008, 22:14   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
@aagoswami

Where in baroda do you buy computer stuff from ??
These are the following palces from where I buy the computer parts:

1) Harsh Peripherals:
Near Havelli, Productivity road.

2) Dhwani enterprise near Kalaghoda.

3) There is one bookstall near the Alkapuri underpass. I think its called Bansal. Just opposite to that shop is one hardware dealer. I found out that this is the best. He wont argue much and even if he does, he had sufficient knowledge. He will buy you what you want.

4) Just opposite to MSU, there is one shop called baharat Xerox ( not sure if its xerox ) where you will find a lot of student of MSU standing for their job done. go towards Station and just as you walk approx ten-fifteen steps, there will be a walkway going up. climb that and look at left. There is one computer wallah. Beware, he is not having almost any computer knowledge, but is good at heart and if you consistently buy parts he will do his best even at some less cost from your side.

Now
1) Harsh Peripherals : Does not stock AMD. And Intel processors only upto 2.2ghz at stock. But you can ask him to get what you want. Slightly expensive in some cases, but his replacements are quite fast.

2) Dhwani Enterprise : I will PM you details if you want, but its great it you avoid this man. he is just an angry and ultra arrogant person.

3) Opposite to Bansal : The one who knows that ATi has graphics chipsets. This one is good and 12V 80mm fans are avaliable ( till now ) for 50rs. The only one in entire city who knows that 120mm 12V fans exist.

4)Near MSU : Take some time buffer if you want to visit him. Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Buddy Aagoswami,

Please try not to get sentimental & opinionated with computers and softwares as they can be painstakingly nasty at their...
We have two AMD machines if you read everything, you would know this. One is single core the other is dual core. I have clearly mentioned that the things went bad because of SMPS also. I use pretty heavy job for computers, like running CS3, Oracle for very long amounts of time.

What is the basic point from my side is that Intel are less prone to overheating and are better in Core 2 Duo architecture, includes both 65 and 45nm. I am not against AMD, but its my view that Intel are better. I am student of BCA, and I am also involved in more than one pc assembling. I have sufficient experince to say that Intel is better than AMD as far as heating and stability is concerned.

AMD offer excellent value for money but is sensitive to many things. To find a reliable board with proper chipset is also not as easy as Intel. Things have now changed though. The AMD 780 is mainly responsible for this.

But overall, I will say, right now, Intel is better than AMD.

If you want more proof, PM me, but I will be able to explain after 18 when my exams get over.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 20:39   #169
BHPian

I need some help guys. I am planning to buy desktop, it will be used for some gaming, to store some personal data. I am looking at the following configuration.
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Motherboard Abit IP35-E
RAM Kingston DDR 2 800 3 GB
Graphics Sapphire Radeon HD 4850
Hard Disk Western Digital SATA II 500GB 3250
Monitor Flat Screen 19 or 21" which brand????

How is this configuration?? Anything you want to add or amend, please need your suggestions.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 22:16   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I need some help guys. I am planning to buy desktop, it will be used for some gaming, to store some personal data. I am looking at the following configuration.
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Motherboard Abit IP35-E
RAM Kingston DDR 2 800 3 GB
Graphics Sapphire Radeon HD 4850
Hard Disk Western Digital SATA II 500GB 3250
Monitor Flat Screen 19 or 21" which brand????

How is this configuration?? Anything you want to add or amend, please need your suggestions.

The Processor, motheboard and RAM configuration will support gaming. The Graphics card will also support gaming.

But the motherboard you have specified has only one X16 slot, so you wont be able to fit in another graphic card in future.
Also you are looking forward to store data, but I dont think this borad has RAID support.

Go for ViewSonic in case of monitors. They are VFM and also perform well. But if you are looking for excellent monitor, then go for 22" DELL.
If dell is slightly above your budget, then go for Samsung.

Make sure you have a good SMPS to power the PC. Also look for a well ventilated cabinet as you will be playing games.
Old 8th August 2008, 22:24   #171
Senior - BHPian

AOC also make some VFM monitors

PS : what about the speakers!
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 19:14   #172
BHPian

Guys,
Can you please suggest a PCI-E card for a budget of 2000-2500.
occasional gaming but not bothered about AA & AF stuff. i play games just for the heck of playing games!
nayakrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 12:38   #173
BHPian

@nayakrnr go to TheITWares - Buy Computer Hardware , PC Components , Laptop Computers - One Stop for all Gizmos!! .. here u can find the graphics card i ur price band .. i think u can get a 8400 gs 51n MB == that would do for ur gaming needs as u dont want AA and AF
jmddis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 13:50   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
But the motherboard you have specified has only one X16 slot, so you wont be able to fit in another graphic card in future.
Also you are looking forward to store data, but I dont think this borad has RAID support.

Go for ViewSonic in case of monitors. They are VFM and also perform well. But if you are looking for excellent monitor, then go for 22" DELL.
If dell is slightly above your budget, then go for Samsung.

Make sure you have a good SMPS to power the PC. Also look for a well ventilated cabinet as you will be playing games.
Aaggoswami,
Thanks for your views. So which motherboard do you suggest for me?
Regarding TFT Monitors, I am going to for ViewSonic as they are really VFM and within my budget .
I am planning to go for I-Ball cabinet, as its got two fans and I think 750 watts power supply, I think it will be enough to keep the system cool. Please suggest, if you have any specific brand in mind.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 14:19   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Aaggoswami,
Thanks for your views. So which motherboard do you suggest for me?
Regarding TFT Monitors, I am going to for ViewSonic as they are really VFM and within my budget .
I am planning to go for I-Ball cabinet, as its got two fans and I think 750 watts power supply, I think it will be enough to keep the system cool. Please suggest, if you have any specific brand in mind.

The borad I will suggest is MSI P35 Platinum. MSI Diamond and Platinum series are very reliable and stable borads. The motherboard I am suggesting is MSI -- MICRO-STAR INT'L CO., LTD.

This board has got facality for RAID and moreover, this board has two X16 slots. This board also supports Cross-Fire technology. So you can also go for ATI cards like 3870 or 4850.

The cabinet has two fans, so I think its sufficient enough. Its nice to have a cabinet that has 120mm front fan. The SMPS is sufficient.

EDIT:
If you are able to catch this MSI -- MICRO-STAR INT'L CO., LTD. board then its good. MSI right now is giving free Zalman cooler.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 11th August 2008 at 14:29.
Old 11th August 2008, 17:43   #176
BHPian

^No point suggesting P35 boards these days and expcl. if he wants to do crossfire as P35 boards are bandwidth starved. Besides the board you have recommended costs around 8.5k. Absolutely no point buying a P35 board for that price.

If want to go for crossfire then get the Asus P5Q-E/Delux or the MSI Platinum/ Zilent. Else you can go for Asus P5Q, Biostar TP45D2-A7, MSI Neo P45 NEO if you are not going to use crossfire. All these mentioned boards are the P45 boards they boast the new ICH10 and when crossfire enabled the bandwidth provided by the PCI-E slots are 8x+8x (in the P35 boards it is 16x+4x which is sad).

Iball cabinets and smps are the saddest products one could buy these days. Just whats the point investing so much into the main parts and least in the cabinet and the smps. 750w smps from iball eh, am sure it won't give out more than 300w . Am totally againsts these pathetic iball smps, they will give you loads of trouble in the long run.

For cabinet you could get the zebronics Bijli should cost you 1k w/o the smps. For smps minimum you should get is the Cooler Master 460 Extreme for Rs.2000/-.

@anonymous, please mention your budget so that we can recommend accordingly.
Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 09:20   #177
BHPian

Well i wouldnt recommend MSI boards to anyone. When there are ample of options with Asus, Biostar and so on, why does one even look at MSI ?
I have had my share of bad experience with MSI high end board so i would stay away from them anyways.

Also the prices for MSI boards in India are really pathetic which makes it even more unappealing to buy.

@ Saiyan,
The P35 boards are not outdated or so,infact most of them have matured enough since they have been here for a longer period of time and hence should have minimal compatibility related issues (Imp for a layman)
Also it has been seen couple of times that the 16X + 4X of the P35 doesnt hurt CF scores as much as its made out to be.
8X + 8X is anyday better no doubt but the difference isnt huge.

If i was not an enthusiast, i would go with Abit IP35-E or Abit IP35 Pro depending on the budget.

From whatever little i have tested the Asus P5Q3, its far from being stable and not so easy to overclock. The P45 DDR3 boards are known to have issues and that the DDR2 versions are much better in terms of stability, i feel that since P45 is so new, it still needs some time for the boards to mature.
So my honest feeling is, if one is good at basic troubleshooting(Bios related issues) then trying P45 boards is ok but if you are not, you might as well stick to tried and tested stuff,that will save a lot of headache

These are just my opinions though.
Amey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 09:52   #178
BHPian

^wah, the lord replies to my post

Well Amey since P45 boards are out now, i thought it would be better to suggest it.

I did read the review regarding the CF performance on P35/P45/X38 and X48, The P35 perfrmance was pretty good comparatively. But it did take few hits in few games. Am myself on a P35 board, waiting to upgrade to my favourite ATI's offering.

btw, anonymous haven't asked for dual GPU solution and from what i can see is that he very well on a budget (atleast from choosing the iball + their elite 750watts smps). Let him give out the budget. Hope he hasn't bought anything yet.
Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2008, 19:37   #179
Senior - BHPian

Agreed P35 is succeed by P4X series.
P43 and P45 are great successors as per my knowledge.

Well there are two boards I would recomend based on P4X series.

1)
Asus P5Q Pro based on P45 chipset. Supports crossfire. High price of around Rs. 9000.

2)
MSI P43 Neo3-F based on P43. Cost is around Rs. 6100-6200.

3)
Biostar Tpower I45 based on P45. Cost is around Rs. 7000.

MSI and Asus have 8 Sata ports but no eSata port. Biostar has 2 esata ports.

Out of these all, MSI is a good performer.
MSI boards especially the Diamond and Platinum boards are very reliable boards.
Old 15th August 2008, 10:41   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyan View Post
^wah, the lord replies to my post

Well Amey since P45 boards are out now, i thought it would be better to suggest it.

I did read the review regarding the CF performance on P35/P45/X38 and X48, The P35 perfrmance was pretty good comparatively. But it did take few hits in few games. Am myself on a P35 board, waiting to upgrade to my favourite ATI's offering.

btw, anonymous haven't asked for dual GPU solution and from what i can see is that he very well on a budget (atleast from choosing the iball + their elite 750watts smps). Let him give out the budget. Hope he hasn't bought anything yet.

Quote:
Agreed P35 is succeed by P4X series.
P43 and P45 are great successors as per my knowledge.

Well there are two boards I would recomend based on P4X series.

1)
Asus P5Q Pro based on P45 chipset. Supports crossfire. High price of around Rs. 9000.

2)
MSI P43 Neo3-F based on P43. Cost is around Rs. 6100-6200.

3)
Biostar Tpower I45 based on P45. Cost is around Rs. 7000.

MSI and Asus have 8 Sata ports but no eSata port. Biostar has 2 esata ports.

MSI boards especially the Diamond and Platinum boards are very reliable boards.

1)
Asus P5Q Pro based on P45 chipset. Supports crossfire. High price of around Rs. 9000. ------> Yep, agree, its a decent board.Helped our fellow member Vikram18 with a new build and he has this board,solid board.He is already upto 3.6GHz on his E8400 with TRUE

2)
MSI P43 Neo3-F based on P43. Cost is around Rs. 6100-6200. ------> Not worth it IMHO.

3)
Biostar Tpower I45 based on P45. Cost is around Rs. 7000.--------> Oh yeah !!!

MSI boards especially the Diamond and Platinum boards are very reliable boards.---------> They are stable and all but thats all about it.They are paper tigers and cannot perform.Indian pricing is also nothing to write about.
Also the colour combination on their boards makes me feel like puking.Seriously, who does that job at MSI ? that person should be fired ASAP.lol
Amey is offline   Reply With Quote