Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 30th April 2009, 11:32   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
did you pick it up second hand - the price seems to indicate so ?

you will still need a bigger power supply to run it. trust me , it can run heavy games - especially older ones with bucketloads of AA
Nope, it was a brand-new box-packed unit. Infact the packaging was a bit too good for a 2400 bucks item; and it came with two cables - a s-video to s-video one, and a s-video to component video one.

I asked the vendor repeatedly whether this PSU will be enough for this rig, and he was pretty confidant about it. I think I'll use this PSU for some time, and if it gives me trouble, I'll replace it. Whatdayasay?

\N
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 12:30   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Nope, it was a brand-new box-packed unit. Infact the packaging was a bit too good for a 2400 bucks item; and it came with two cables - a s-video to s-video one, and a s-video to component video one.

I asked the vendor repeatedly whether this PSU will be enough for this rig, and he was pretty confidant about it. I think I'll use this PSU for some time, and if it gives me trouble, I'll replace it. Whatdayasay?

\N
I googled a bit and found that a low-powered PSY might damage the GPU, RAM or mobo. My PSU is branded - Circuit, and according to the label on it, delivers 400W.

What do you guys suggest, should I forget the money I paid for this PSU, and buy a new one? Or can I use this PSU for a while, and change it at the first signs of trouble?

Thanks

Nitin
Old 30th April 2009, 21:38   #288
BHPian

Quote:
I googled a bit and found that a low-powered PSY might damage the GPU, RAM or mobo. My PSU is branded - Circuit, and according to the label on it, delivers 400W.

What do you guys suggest, should I forget the money I paid for this PSU, and buy a new one? Or can I use this PSU for a while, and change it at the first signs of trouble?

Thanks

Nitin
I checked by existing PSU, it gives only 14A at 12V, making it effectively 168 watts, which is too less I guess, so I think I'll have to buy the new PSU pronto.

\N
Old 1st May 2009, 10:19   #289
Senior - BHPian

For heavy games, 7900 is not good as 8600Gt that comes into its own for high end games, and runs cooler too. This is what I have experienced.

Thankfully you have not bought the 9600GT. IIRC, Intel started providing 2.0 X16 slots from 45-series and very few from intel have these slots ( i.e. very few chipsets and mobos before the 45 series have it ). You dont have 2.0 slot on this board, so anything above 8600 will not be used to its full potential.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 12:34   #290
Senior - BHPian

when PSU's die, they usually inflict some collateral damage - hard disks, motherboards etc. So I'd be careful if i were you ntomer
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 16:40   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
For heavy games, 7900 is not good as 8600Gt that comes into its own for high end games, and runs cooler too. This is what I have experienced.

Thankfully you have not bought the 9600GT. IIRC, Intel started providing 2.0 X16 slots from 45-series and very few from intel have these slots ( i.e. very few chipsets and mobos before the 45 series have it ). You dont have 2.0 slot on this board, so anything above 8600 will not be used to its full potential.
Absolutely wrong :S. All the single GPU cards afaik will have its full potential with the PCIE v1.0/1.1.
Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 18:45   #292
BHPian

Hi,

You guys sure scared me, I didn't switch on the computer once after reading about the ill-effects an under-powered PSU might have. So I've bought a Corsair VX450W for 4 grands today, I'll fit it in the rig and then start playing ;-)

\N
Old 1st May 2009, 19:07   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

You guys sure scared me, I didn't switch on the computer once after reading about the ill-effects an under-powered PSU might have. So I've bought a Corsair VX450W for 4 grands today, I'll fit it in the rig and then start playing ;-)

\N
thats why most people dont buy faster, older cards, unless they already have a good PSU. By trying to save 800 bucks on the card, you ended up spending 4k on the PSU . The 7900 GS is like an older muscle car. better in some areas than the newer, cheaper cards, but a lot more thirsty!

no matter, the VX450 is by far the best PSU you can get for that kind of money, and now you have headroom to add/upgrade your PC even more
Old 1st May 2009, 22:10   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thats why most people dont buy faster, older cards, unless they already have a good PSU. By trying to save 800 bucks on the card, you ended up spending 4k on the PSU . The 7900 GS is like an older muscle car. better in some areas than the newer, cheaper cards, but a lot more thirsty!

no matter, the VX450 is by far the best PSU you can get for that kind of money, and now you have headroom to add/upgrade your PC even more
Err! isnt GS supposed to be the stripped down version of the cards that were available at that time.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 22:51   #295
BHPian

Default Server Configuration

I would like to configure one system to use as linux server. Basically I was looking for minimum 2 CPU motherboard and 4 GB RAM. This is the basic requirement. Rest what else can be loaded into this please suggest. I will run Oracle Application with RAC on it on VMWARE.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2009, 22:55   #296
Senior - BHPian

yup, I meant in comparison with the 8600GT/9500GT/other cards available at that price point.
Old 1st May 2009, 23:56   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyan View Post
Absolutely wrong :S. All the single GPU cards afaik will have its full potential with the PCIE v1.0/1.1.
NO. I have 9500GT and I have checked its performance on my board and other boards. The performance does improve. Same were results for other cards too.

Quote:
yup, I meant in comparison with the 8600GT/9500GT/other cards available at that price point.
I have 9500GT and most of the high end games are run smoothly even at 1440 X 900 @ 75 Hz.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 00:15   #298
Senior - BHPian

never said the 9500GT was bad, just that the 7900GS was mostly better
here are some numbers
Charts, benchmarks Gaming Graphics Charts Q1/2008, Doom 3[1575]=on&prod[1604]=on
Old 2nd May 2009, 00:25   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Does 8600GT has lower power requirements than 7900GS? Looks like buying 7900GS wasn't such a good decision.

I had budgeted 4K for GPU, and 8600GT was fitting nicely in that budget. But when I went to buy the system, the dealer didn't have that in stock and ordered it from a near-by stockist. It took about 15 mins to come, in the mean-time he showed me a 7900GS and told me it is a better performing GPU than 8600GT. I searched about it on net and found he was right so decided to go with 7900GS.

Anyways as you rightly said, it is a good PSU and a good investment. Lemme try this card for a few months, if it feels under-powered, I'll upgrade it and at that time I would not have to worry about power :-)

\N
Old 5th May 2009, 16:02   #300
BHPian

Hi Guys,

After the desktop, now is the turn to buy a monitor. I am thinking of buying Benq T2200 HD; it looks like a decent, reasonably priced monitor. But for me one major constraint will be the height of this monitor (or other 22 inchers), while mounted on the the stand. I searched a lot on the net but could only find it's stand-alone dimensions, nowhere I could find fint it's height with the stand.

Please help me, post it's height, or height of a typical 22 incher. It's very important for me. I want my monitor to fit my existing computer table, replacing it isn't an option :-( Replacing the computer was my decision, but replacing a piece of furniture in my bed-room will require permission from much higher authorities (read my wife).

Thanks

Nitin