Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 5th May 2009, 16:20   #301
Senior - BHPian

You can add a monitor stand to your PC table.

Then any monitor that can be "wall mounted" can be mounted to that stand.

With that, you can adjust height to your liking.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 23:15   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi Guys,

Please help me, post it's height, or height of a typical 22 incher. It's very important for me. I want my monitor to fit my existing computer table, replacing it isn't an option
You can go ahead and remove the screwed stand and then use monitor.
I have used 19" monitor like that for long. Only thing is that be sure to keep some
dense object below it.

Other option is to sit higher, put some stuff under keyboard and mouse and use monitor as it is.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 23:30   #303
BHPian

I measured my computer table, it can accomodate a monitor upto 44 cm tall. benq 22 incher is 38 cm without stand, how tall will it be on the stand? Any idea guys??

\N
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 14:44   #304
BHPian

Hi Friends

I too am keen on activating my pc at home, since i have a laptopnow everything is done from it.

My kid is 6 and keeps haggling me to play games on the laptop which is no possible everyday.

I have been having a recurrent problem where my system would boot every 5 minutes, have had 5 guys to have look at it and seriously guys I am totally flustered by the same.

Am thinking of buying a completely new CPU with the best of goodies, to play games, serious stuff. In the mean time I am also looking to buy a PS2 for my kid.

Letme know the best possible setup for the CPU config - keeping in mind that I am totally naive on the technical front.

Thanks
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 00:56   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post

I have been having a recurrent problem where my system would boot every 5 minutes, have had 5 guys to have look at it and seriously guys I am totally flustered by the same.

Am thinking of buying a completely new CPU with the best of goodies, to play games, serious stuff. In the mean time I am also looking to buy a PS2 for my kid.

Letme know the best possible setup for the CPU config - keeping in mind that I am totally naive on the technical front.

For your old cpu, can you provide the config ?

What is your budget for a new one ?
I think its better to get PC rather than PS2. PS2 will become purely for game, but in case of PC, you can use it too.
PS3 is known to run Ubuntu/Fedora distributions but I am not sure as I just read that on internet.
Old 15th May 2009, 14:20   #306
BHPian

I bought an XBox 360 controller, and configured it for my computer. My daughter loves it.

Please suggest some games suitable for a six year old kid, I am not able to find any and have installed Prince of Persia for her. But I found even it too violent and gory.

Thanks

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 14:38   #307
BHPian

need a desktop for basic office (Word, PowerPoint) and some gaming

Can someone suggest base configs and approx budget?

Thanks in advance
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 15:17   #308
Senior - BHPian

^ check this thread for configuration suggestions

PC Buying Guide May 2009 - Buying Guides - TechEnclave
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 15:27   #309
BHPian

Thx Bottle,

What do the experts advise for the config below? X27750+ is ok or should I look at Amd phenom 2 940 etc .. confused

Motherboard: Asus M3A78-EM - 4.5k
]Processor: AMD X2 7750+ - 3.6k
RAM: Transcend 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz - 2.2k
GPU: Onboard N.A.
HDD: Seagate 250GB ST3250310AS SATAII - 2.3k
Cabinet: Zebronics Bijli ATX - 1.1k
SMPS: Zebronics Real Power 360W - 1.5k
Optical Drive: L.G. GH22NS30 SATA/Samsung SH-S22F SATA - 1.1k
Speakers: Creative Inspire 2.1 M2600 - 1.8k
Monitor: Dell S1909W 19" LCD - 6.5k
Keyboard: Samsung Pleomax - .2k
Mouse: Logitech Optical - .4k

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th May 2009 at 11:05. Reason: Removing font tags, dont use external font editors please.
Old 25th May 2009, 16:49   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Thx Bottle,

What do the experts advise for the config below? X27750+ is ok or should I look at Amd phenom 2 940 etc .. confused
Motherboard: Asus M3A78-EM - 4.5k
Processor: AMD X2 7750+ - 3.6k
RAM: Transcend 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz - 2.2k
GPU: Onboard N.A.
HDD: Seagate 250GB ST3250310AS SATAII - 2.3k
Cabinet: Zebronics Bijli ATX - 1.1k
SMPS: Zebronics Real Power 360W - 1.5k

Speakers: Creative Inspire 2.1 M2600 - 1.8k
Monitor: Dell S1909W 19" LCD - 6.5k
X2 7750+ is a Phenom with two disabled cores. Its not the Phenom II architecture.

Phenom II 940 is a very very competent processor as compared to earlier generation Phenom. Its not as fast as Core i7, but comes second. If you look around on net for reviews, this processor has received very good reviews.

AM3 socket will not tolerate AM2+ processors. X2 7750+ is socket AM2+ processor.
Phenom 940 has on die memory controller for both DDR2 and DDR3.
So if your budget is restricted, then buy a board that is AM3 ready and put in X2 7750+. Later on upgrade to AM3 processor and still you will get higher HT speeds AM3 socket is capable of.

My suggestion will be that if your budget is not very strictly controlled, go for AM3 940 and AM3 board along with OCZ or G-Skill DDR3 memory. This set up is very fast and can keep its head high against core i7, though cant beat it.

As for Zebronics, avoid it. If the reviews I have gone through here, and my personal experience, is anything to go by, avoid Zebronics. Also dont consider Intex. I have seen that both Zebronics and Intex are not very reliable brands.
Old 25th May 2009, 16:59   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
X2 7750+ is a Phenom with two disabled cores. Its not the Phenom II architecture.

My suggestion will be that if your budget is not very strictly controlled, go for AM3 940 and AM3 board along with OCZ or G-Skill DDR3 memory. This set up is very fast and can keep its head high against core i7, though cant beat it.

As for Zebronics, avoid it. If the reviews I have gone through here, and my personal experience, is anything to go by, avoid Zebronics. Also dont consider Intex. I have seen that both Zebronics and Intex are not very reliable brands.
Thanks Aag,

What will the additional cost for AM3 940 and AM3 board?
Any recommendations for Motherboard? Make/Model?
What is OCZ or G-Skill ? Brands?

Cabinet recommendations?

Thx again for your help.

My budget is ~25k, hopes it's enough for the base system?
Old 25th May 2009, 22:39   #312
Senior - BHPian

i would not recommend most people to go for AMD. as they are very notorious for discountinuing thier chipset. Some time later you will be stuck with a cpu with no board or a board without a cpu. If either one is conked.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 22:44   #313
Senior - BHPian

i think the current crop of AMD motherboards and processors are made exactly to counter that problem
AM3 processors and motherboards are all backward compatible - ie Newer processors will run on older motherboards, and older processors will run on newer motherboards. Even the AM2 motherboard I bought a year back can run AM3 processors with just a bios update

While I agree I've faced it with my socket A processor, friends with socket 478 intel processors have similar problems. Either way, Intel is also migrating to a new socket now.
And you cant deny that the AMD platform offers unbeatable value, especially at the lower and mid end segments

Last edited by greenhorn : 25th May 2009 at 22:48.
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 23:25   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
What will the additional cost for AM3 940 and AM3 board?
Any recommendations for Motherboard? Make/Model?
What is OCZ or G-Skill ? Brands?

Cabinet recommendations?

Thx again for your help.

My budget is ~25k, hopes it's enough for the base system?
Have a look at the prices here :
TheITWares - Buy Computer Hardware , PC Components , Laptop Computers - One Stop for all Gizmos!!
TechShop.in - Buy Tech Online Now!!!
Lynx Chandigarh Largest Electronic & Computer Superstore

If your budget is Rs. 25K, then its not possible to get Phenom 940 as the processor is itself around Rs. 10K.

Try a board that is AM3 capable with bios update and right now go for Phenom 9850 BE. Phenom 9650 is available for around 6.5-7K and this is quite a good deal. Make sure that you have mobo that can take AM3 processor.

About cabinet, if you are not planning to go for a gaming PC then 400W SMPS will be OK. But I recommend you go for Iball Net-X. It will cost you around Rs. 1500 with 400W Iball SMPS.

I will have to search for motherboard models, but try MSI, Asus and gigabyte india websites.
MSI Indiai :
MSI -- MICRO-STAR INT'L CO., LTD.

Asus India :
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Gigabyte India:
GIGABYTE - Upgrade Your Life

Out of all the three above, gigabyte has a very good range of AM3 capable mobos that are running AM2+ processors, but with just BIOS upgrade, they can run AM3 processors.

Sorry I am not able to provide you the exact model numbers. I will try to post them tomorrow.
I was talking about from from OCZ and G-Skill. Yes they are brands.

I suggest you go for a high end dual core if you are not a gamer or do 3D rendering. If you are doing 3D rendering work or using very heavy applications, go for processor with more cores.

If you are planning to go for dedicated graphics card and a borad with no onboard graphics ( this will be more stable ),I suggest you buy a 600W SMPS. Iball is again my preferred brand as its VFM. 600W SMPS will cost around Rs. 3K.

I bought
Intel Core2Quad Q8200, Intel original motherboard DG41TY, 2 X 2GB Transcend DDR2 800 MHz RAM, Iball Window X cabinet for around Rs. 19K.
Dont go for this setup, this is just for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i would not recommend most people to go for AMD. as they are very notorious for discountinuing thier chipset. Some time later you will be stuck with a cpu with no board or a board without a cpu. If either one is conked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i think the current crop of AMD motherboards and processors are made exactly to counter that problem
AM3 processors and motherboards are all backward compatible - ie Newer processors will run on older motherboards, and older processors will run on newer motherboards. Even the AM2 motherboard I bought a year back can run AM3 processors with just a bios update

While I agree I've faced it with my socket A processor, friends with socket 478 intel processors have similar problems. Either way, Intel is also migrating to a new socket now.
And you cant deny that the AMD platform offers unbeatable value, especially at the lower and mid end segments

I am not new to this section and IIRC, greenhorn is aware that I am running AMD system and fed up of Intex and Zebronics.

Now earlier I had always complained about my MSI K9N Neo V3 not taking Vista and cribbed about my computer vendor.
The solution to install Vista in that board ? Disable onboard HD Audio and USB from bios before installing Vista. And the installation ran through like a sprinter.

Now as I was doing MultiMedia ( 3DS MAX software was used ), I bought myself a new Quad core machine for rendering.
This time as I was fed up with AMD, went in for Intel platform.
I thought that it will run Vista ( which is obviously better than XP ) and will be stable.
I bought Intel Q8200, G41TY, iBall window X cabinet, 2X2GB Trancend DDR2 800MHZ RAM and simple keyboard and mouse for Rs. 18,950/-.

This Intel set up did not take my Vista.
This quad is the worst quad I have ever seen, even at idle its 69 deg C. on stock cooler.

I am becoming AMD fan and love AMD for what it offers. In real world performance, unless and untill its very high end Processor, AMD wins hands down

@ SirAlec : This is from my personal experience. I though Intel boards and processors are very mature, but reality turned out to be the other way round.
You are correct that due to backward compatibility, either board or cpu is not optimum for the other, but then it still performs well.

I agree with you greenhorn, AMD systems are great and if we dont mess up with it, its very very stable and reliable.
Old 26th May 2009, 18:36   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

AM3 940? As per the link below from AMD site, 940 is AM2+
Model Number and Feature Comparisons - AMD Phenomâ„¢ II Processors