Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th May 2009, 18:48   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i think the current crop of AMD motherboards and processors are made exactly to counter that problem
AM3 processors and motherboards are all backward compatible - ie Newer processors will run on older motherboards, and older processors will run on newer motherboards. Even the AM2 motherboard I bought a year back can run AM3 processors with just a bios update

While I agree I've faced it with my socket A processor, friends with socket 478 intel processors have similar problems. Either way, Intel is also migrating to a new socket now.
And you cant deny that the AMD platform offers unbeatable value, especially at the lower and mid end segments
Intel 478 boards are still available, that too with warranty.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 18:51   #317
BHPian

[quote=aaggoswami;1319297]

So if your budget is restricted, then buy a board that is AM3 ?ready and put in X2 7750+. Later on upgrade to AM3 processor and still you will get higher HT speeds AM3 socket is capable of.

My suggestion will be that if your budget is not very strictly controlled, go for AM3 940 and AM3 board along with OCZ or G-Skill DDR3 memory. This set up is very fast and can keep its head high against core i7, though cant beat it.

As per this link
AnandTech: The Phenom II X4 810 & X3 720: AMD Gets DDR3 But Doesn't Need It

AM2+ Motherboard supports all AM2/AM2+ & AM3 CPUs, but you asked to go for AM3 motherboard with X2 7750+ (AM2+), how is this possible?
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 21:19   #318
BHPian

Okay. so you are looking for a machine under 25k and probably a future proof machine. Here is my inputs to the same thing you have mentioned here.

Motherboard - Get any Asus/Gigabyte AM3 Board. DDR-3 is the future if you want to upgrade and for more, see below.

RAM - Get a friend to buy you a DDR3 Dual Channel (Corsair/OCZ/Patriot/G-Skill) from US (not the Triple CHannel which is for i7 only at this moment). The price will be about 70$ for 6GB. Yep, 1/3 of Indian market prices (Source - Newegg.com)

Processor - I will suggest getting AMD 720 BE, if possible frm abroad. Again is cheaper and with US summer break, one of your university friends might just be coming home for a summer vacation.

HDD - 500 GB is the best bet right now. In Vashi, it costed me 2900 last time in Dec last week. Should be lesser than that by now.

Cabinet / Power Supply - Go with a good branded cabinet and strictly avoid desi brands like intex and zebronic and etc etc. Check out the anandtech AMD Value edition. CoolerMaster Centurion 534/690 is a good choice with multiple fans included (3/4 120 mm fans) and in delhi you will need them all.

Mouse - If you are going to play a lot of games, make sure you get a heavier Microsoft or Logitech mouse. Heavier mouse will help you keep balance right. Light ones get shaken too easily out of context.

Total cost may shoot up to 30-35K, but it will say that it will be worth getting the stuff at a right price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Thx Bottle,

What do the experts advise for the config below? X27750+ is ok or should I look at Amd phenom 2 940 etc .. confused

Motherboard: Asus M3A78-EM - 4.5k
]Processor: AMD X2 7750+ - 3.6k
RAM: Transcend 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz - 2.2k
GPU: Onboard N.A.
HDD: Seagate 250GB ST3250310AS SATAII - 2.3k
Cabinet: Zebronics Bijli ATX - 1.1k
SMPS: Zebronics Real Power 360W - 1.5k
Optical Drive: L.G. GH22NS30 SATA/Samsung SH-S22F SATA - 1.1k
Speakers: Creative Inspire 2.1 M2600 - 1.8k
Monitor: Dell S1909W 19" LCD - 6.5k
Keyboard: Samsung Pleomax - .2k
Mouse: Logitech Optical - .4k
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 23:05   #319
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Shankyz;1321033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

So if your budget is restricted, then buy a board that is AM3 ?ready and put in X2 7750+. Later on upgrade to AM3 processor and still you will get higher HT speeds AM3 socket is capable of.

My suggestion will be that if your budget is not very strictly controlled, go for AM3 940 and AM3 board along with OCZ or G-Skill DDR3 memory. This set up is very fast and can keep its head high against core i7, though cant beat it.

As per this link
AnandTech: The Phenom II X4 810 & X3 720: AMD Gets DDR3 But Doesn't Need It

AM2+ Motherboard supports all AM2/AM2+ & AM3 CPUs, but you asked to go for AM3 motherboard with X2 7750+ (AM2+), how is this possible?
1) I had no intention to confuse you.

2) Here is the real answer.
There are board available from Gigabyte (google uses Gigabyte mobos! ), MSI and Asus such that presently they are AM2+ capable. But with bios upgrade they will act like AM3 boards.
I suggested you this type of board such that you will be running the mobo as AM2+ and then later on, in future, you can put in AM3 processor and with bios upgrade you will have a setup running AM3 configuration.

An example :
If you have AM2+ board that is not termed AM3 capable and if you put in AM3 processor you will not get reliable and stable performance and moreover you might lose on perfomance also.
But if you buy a AM2+ board that with just an upgrade of bios can work as AM3 setup you will get reliable performance with stabiltiy with AM3 processor.

I am putting up and image from gigabyte india website for your reference.

Help with Computer Config-tbhpcomp1.jpg
Above you can see only AM3 boards from Gigabyte.

Help with Computer Config-tbhpcomp2.jpg
Above you can see AM2+ board that are AM3 ready. This set up is quite VFM for your budget.

EDIT :
IIRC, Phenom 940 is right now mostly available with both AM2+ and AM3 sockets. I suggest AM3 socket initially as the AM3 940 is the processor that has, despite ondie memory controller, compatibility for both DDR3 and DDR2 RAM.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 26th May 2009 at 23:07.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 23:21   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Intel 478 boards are still available, that too with warranty.
We searched through all of tvm, and in one shop they had 2 zebronics boards in stock, and another shop, they had a mercury board. Though the systems booted, all boards had some problem or the other, and when we asked when fresh stocks would arrive, they said that these were unsold stock from 2 years ago

We eventually gave up and bought a new low end AMD config. It was an early P4 and he was fed up of the fan's noise!

@ aaggoswami - I think you are cursed to have all your systems run hot

I'm not sure if running a newer processor on an older board should be a problem if the board officially supports it. If it doesnt, then it might have stability problems.

Last edited by greenhorn : 26th May 2009 at 23:24.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 09:53   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We eventually gave up and bought a new low end AMD config. It was an early P4 and he was fed up of the fan's noise!

I'm not sure if running a newer processor on an older board should be a problem if the board officially supports it. If it doesnt, then it might have stability problems.
AMD systems are better as compared to Intel. Atleast they offer good backward compatibility. Intel from 478 ( PGA ) came up to 775 ( LGA ), now its 1366 and for the core i5 they are coming up with 1156.

As the manufacturer mentions its AM3 capable, I think there should not be any problem running AM3 processor on AM2+ board with necessary upgrade.

After having all my machines running hot, I am seriously thinking I am cursed.
I am thinking of relocating my PC to a differet location i.e. another room. I hope that might make some difference.
Old 27th May 2009, 10:16   #322
BHPian

^Could you post the interior pictures of your PC. Would like to see whats wrong.
Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 10:26   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyan View Post
^Could you post the interior pictures of your PC. Would like to see whats wrong.
What is wrong is this :

1) Cabinet for AMD machine. It was basically a Semprom 1.8 GHz with K8MM-V. Then we upgraded to brisbane 5000+ X2 Athlon. Clearly the cabinet, mostly some version ( presently discontinued ) from Intex, was not good in providing good ventilation inside the cabinet. This lead to overheating.

To solve the issue ( as later on added a graphic card also, which was 7300GT with only passive cooling ), we cut through the panels and put in two 4-inch fans, one as intake and other placed on side panel such that it blows air directly to graphics card. This has lead to max temp from Athlon X2 to 66 deg. C. Quite good I must say.

2) For my latest Intel set up, its nothing but the processor that is curlprit. Even if I am blowing air directly from table fan onto the heat sink, the tempearture while rendering never comes down below 72 deg. And without the table fan, the temperature is 75 deg. C.

Search the net and show me if you get 80% reviews that claim Q8200 to be good. Almost all reviews claim that Q6600 is better than Q8200 and I believe it to be true.

I am not able to connect my L6 to my computer, so cannot put up shots. I will sure make an attempt.
Old 27th May 2009, 13:01   #324
BHPian

Quote:
This has lead to max temp from Athlon X2 to 66 deg. C. Quite good I must say.
You call that good? No offense but my 3600+ clocked at 2.4 Ghz never crosses 50 under heavy load of 2 instances of Prime95.

Quote:
2) For my latest Intel set up, its nothing but the processor that is curlprit. Even if I am blowing air directly from table fan onto the heat sink, the tempearture while rendering never comes down below 72 deg. And without the table fan, the temperature is 75 deg. C.
Please get your heatsink mounting checked as that could be the culprit.
Also try manually setting the fan speed to 100% in your BIOS or by using some utility like speedfan.

Last edited by d3mon : 27th May 2009 at 13:14.
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 15:19   #325
BHPian

Getting confused with the motherboards -

Asus M3A78-EM is for 5.6, this is AMD780G/SB700 with hybrid crossfire whereas Biostar TA790GXB - 4.4k, which one to pick ? Any Equivalent Gigabyte motherboards?
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 18:13   #326
Senior - BHPian

its a no brainer
get the biostar!
Old 27th May 2009, 19:59   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
1) You call that good? No offense but my 3600+ clocked at 2.4 Ghz never crosses 50 under heavy load of 2 instances of Prime95.

2) Please get your heatsink mounting checked as that could be the culprit.
Also try manually setting the fan speed to 100% in your BIOS or by using some utility like speedfan.
1) Of course no offense felt. In fact thanks for bringing up this point and pinpointing that I might have to work more on my set up to bring the temperature under control.
Using prime95 I am getting again 59 for core 0 and 66 for core 1. Earlier I would have got a couple of degrees more on each core.

2) Tried everything that was in my hand, still it wont help. However, I feel that the heatsink is of only half the height than what it must be. I will try to work a bit on it. The heat sink is perfectly fixed on the processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post

Asus M3A78-EM is for 5.6, this is AMD780G/SB700 with hybrid crossfire whereas Biostar TA790GXB - 4.4k, which one to pick ? Any Equivalent Gigabyte motherboards?
As greenhorn mentioned, go for Biostar.
Old 27th May 2009, 22:08   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AMD systems are better as compared to Intel. Atleast they offer good backward compatibility. Intel from 478 ( PGA ) came up to 775 ( LGA ), now its 1366 and for the core i5 they are coming up with 1156.

As the manufacturer mentions its AM3 capable, I think there should not be any problem running AM3 processor on AM2+ board with necessary upgrade.

After having all my machines running hot, I am seriously thinking I am cursed.
I am thinking of relocating my PC to a differet location i.e. another room. I hope that might make some difference.
Same goes with AMD. It was 462pin then 754 then 939 and now 941 and 940 pins for AM3 and Am2.
I have 23 Amd athlon 2500xp CPu . Provide me a 462 mobo with warranty??

atleast intel is still providing the chipset.

Quote:
We searched through all of tvm, and in one shop they had 2 zebronics boards in stock, and another shop, they had a mercury board. Though the systems booted, all boards had some problem or the other, and when we asked when fresh stocks would arrive, they said that these were unsold stock from 2 years ago

Try the simtronics. They are providing 845 and 865 with warranty.

Last edited by SirAlec : 27th May 2009 at 22:10.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 22:18   #329
Senior - BHPian

does simmtronics still exist? Didnt they sell a whole load of bad RAM dirt cheap and then dissapear from the indian scene?

At least the local assemblers learned this the hard way and now suggest branded RAM always (helps that their prices have also fallen)

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th May 2009 at 22:19.
Old 27th May 2009, 23:06   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Same goes with AMD. It was 462pin then 754 then 939 and now 941 and 940 pins for AM3 and Am2.
I have 23 Amd athlon 2500xp CPu . Provide me a 462 mobo with warranty??

atleast intel is still providing the chipset.
Yes, its true that both AMD is not offering chipsets for Socket A and its difficult to get mobos for older processors.
But then they have always ensured that some sort of backward compatibility is there. Atleast they have attempted.

AM2 can take AM2+ CPU, and still there is backward compatibility with AM3 processors. AM3 processors also have support for both DDR2 and DDR3.

Yes, Intel is providing chipsets, but then the products based on them, specially Zebronics mobos are notorious for their poor reliability and non existent stability. Friend ( who is now a foe ) bought one, last I know is that the PC would be always shut down on its own. Tried everything possible, at the end he stopped using that PC.

Intel does not offer any sort of backward comatibility.