Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th June 2009, 22:01   #346
Senior - BHPian

Heck ,while hunting for a 19" LCD monitor in cochin ,the famous distributor's sales personnel replied ,"No We Don't Stock ViewSonic".Indicating..?
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 23:23   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Could be different experiences for different people. I bought a Viewsonic 1945 in 10/2007 and so far no problem (at least no problems visible to me).
Viewsonic LCDs are not worse than others in terms of Quality.

Its the A.S.S. that is horrible.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 06:37   #348
BHPian

I have been using a Viewsonic Vx922 for 3 years now and absolutely no problem. In facts its 2millisecond response time is a boon while gaming and doing 3D video tests.
Torqueguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 08:49   #349
BHPian

^Thanks !

Here is what is on the cards right now -

Phenom x4 9650 -6750
Gigabyte GA-MA-78GM-S2H -4900
3GB DDR2 800MHz RAM - 1450+800
1 TB 32 MB buffer 7200 rpm sata HDD - 5400
SMPS+Cabinet (not finalised) - Expected price - 2000

Total 21300 = Will try to get it down to 20k , I hope it will work .
niks_devil666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 09:25   #350
Senior - BHPian

For HTPC, I wil suggest that you reduce expenditure on CPU and increase on cabinet + SMPS.

For decent CMPS that would work 24x7 you should budget 1 - 2.5 k.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 09:37   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Viewsonic LCDs are not worse than others in terms of Quality.

Its the A.S.S. that is horrible.
Perhaps it could be a question of 100% quality consistency across all units shipped. As long as one is lucky, no problems. Anyway, my viewpoint is that if runs well for 2-3 years, that is fine. What seemed state of the art at purchase will inevitably become obsolete in 1-2 years. I bought a Viewsonic 1945 in Nov 2007 for 9K. I think a 22 inch now sells for that price. I like Viewsonic for its design (my opinion: better than the Korean designs) and perhaps better display.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 09:43   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
For HTPC, I wil suggest that you reduce expenditure on CPU and increase on cabinet + SMPS.

For decent CMPS that would work 24x7 you should budget 1 - 2.5 k.
My previous experiences with Local SMPS's have alo been good , 6 years , most of the time running for weeks , no issues.

But yes , I would definitely consider a good SMPS , can you suggest a few?

aaggoswami has already suggested me iball sprinter. Any other decent ones available?

As I stated my usage is primarily to run a DLNA server , which encodes media on the fly for that I need decent processing power. This will be coupled by torrent softwares in the background , 8-10 windows of web browsers , media players . Moreover since I dont want to reinvest in PC again for next 4 years or so , I wanted to grab a quad core which will keep me relatively more future proof. The advantage of 4 cores would also be noticeable once more apps start using 4 cores instead of just 2.
Old 5th June 2009, 09:48   #353
BHPian

Agree on focusing on the cabinet and SMPS - you dont want to end up with a system that is too noisy. Thats the main reason I wont be ever using my current home PC as a HTPC - I designed it for an efficient gaming machine with lots of cooling and ventilation alongside a heavy duty SMPS. All that together becomes quite noisy.
jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 09:57   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
Agree on focusing on the cabinet and SMPS - you dont want to end up with a system that is too noisy. Thats the main reason I wont be ever using my current home PC as a HTPC - I designed it for an efficient gaming machine with lots of cooling and ventilation alongside a heavy duty SMPS. All that together becomes quite noisy.
Even being noisy won't hurt , PC and PS3-LCD are in 2 different rooms

But thanks for the information on PC being noisy with too many fans , I never took that into account. How many fans will keep it cool? 2 cabinet fans seem to be good enuf , even for AMD's right?
Old 5th June 2009, 11:09   #355
BHPian

If they are in separate rooms then I guess it really doesnt matter.

I dont know about the current generation (Phenom) but the older AMD's used to run warmer than the Intels and needed more cooling. Easy way to check is to look at the wattage of the processor.

A 120mm fan along with a good cooler on the chipset is usually good enough provided you arent running a heavy duty graphics card. SMPS usually has its own cooling fan.
jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 11:16   #356
BHPian

Check prices at Lynx chandigarh, they are update more often and will be a better indication of the prices.
mav2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 00:06   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
Here is what is on the cards right now -

Phenom x4 9650 -6750
Gigabyte GA-MA-78GM-S2H -4900
3GB DDR2 800MHz RAM - 1450+800
1 TB 32 MB buffer 7200 rpm sata HDD - 5400
SMPS+Cabinet (not finalised) - Expected price - 2000

Total 21300 = Will try to get it down to 20k , I hope it will work .
Rather than going in for one 1TB HDD, go for two 500GB HDD. This can prove useful in future, but if its going out of budget, then its OK for 1TB HDD.

For you setup, the Iball cabinet will come with 400W SMPS. I am running my PC continuously for sometimes upto a week or more without any problem. I did a lot of rendering work on that computer such that for around 20 days, my PC was ON. No problem with SMPS. As you are not having any dedicated graphic card, I think this will serve you well for quite some time.

Off late, I have seen that Western Digital HDD are also available at competitive prices and they do offer good performance, but are slightly slower if buffer is not large. But then those things are not applicable as you are not looking for a high speed PC.

Please note that depending upon your location, the street prices will be lower than what they are mentioned at itwares. Go to any wholesale shop in your city and ask for prices. I bought Q8200 for 89XX when at that time the price of this processor at theitwares was 92XX.

You will have to search around to a bit to get the parts at lower prices. This is dependent on your city/location.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 10:54   #358
Senior - BHPian

My office IT head was saying that in getting a new PC assembled, a good (=more expensive) motherboard is as important as a powerful processor. Is it true. Should I trade down around Rs. 4-5 K from Quad 9450/9550/9650 to Quad 8200/9300/9400 series, and spend the diff on a better Motherboard. The question is: which is better-a more powerful processor and a reasonable MB or say a relatively less powerful processor but a far better MB. I want to buy only Quad.
Old 6th June 2009, 11:03   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
My office IT head was saying that in getting a new PC assembled, a good (=more expensive) motherboard is as important as a powerful processor. Is it true. Should I trade down around Rs. 4-5 K from Quad 9450/9550/9650 to Quad 8200/9300/9400 series, and spend the diff on a better Motherboard. The question is: which is better-a more powerful processor and a reasonable MB or say a relatively less powerful processor but a far better MB. I want to buy only Quad.

What matters here is
a) Which chipset i.e. northbridge you are having on mobo.
b) Southbridge like if you are using USB devices a lot, then its better to have a board with latest southbridge.
c) RAM : How much ram does a mobo support.

Sorry if I am sounding rough, but then good mobo depends upon your specific requirements. If you are planning to use a high end Dual GPU card, go for 2.0 slot mobo. Else 1.1 is OK as of now.

Its good to invest in high end mobo, but then if you dont need all the features, then its good to remian in mid level mobo with high end processor.

Dont buy Q8200. Its not the best quad core. I am typing from a pc powered by Q8200. This quad heats up like anything. Googling around a bit I realized its not a good quad. Go for Q6600 instead if you plan to move in for a better mobo.

EDIT : If possible go for DQ45CB mobo or any other G/P/Q 45 based mobo. They are very stable chipsets for intel setup. Note that the difference between P and G is that in case of P the onboard graphics are disabled and no port is provided to activate the onboard graphics. P is said to be more stable but this is applicable if you are into fine tuning your hardware, mainly OC. Make sure you have 4 slots for RAM. My DG41TY has two slots and supports 8 GB RAM, means I have to in for DDR3. Max DDR2 RAM I can put in 4 GB.
And Q6600 is a good quad. With some minor tuning it can go upto 2.8 Ghz on stock cooling itself. People have reported to take it to 3.0-3.2 on stock cooling.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 6th June 2009 at 11:08.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 11:10   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
What matters here is
a) Which chipset i.e. northbridge you are having on mobo.
b) Southbridge like if you are using USB devices a lot, then its better to have a board with latest southbridge.
c) RAM : How much ram does a mobo support.
Not being a techical person, I could make out only partially what you were saying. My main use is DVD (future Blu ray) read, write, plus fast PC. Overall budget of 30-40K.
Some top specs: Core 2 Quad (9xxx), 3-4 GB RAM (ddr3?), 1 TB HDD. Have Viewsonic 1945, keyboard, mouse, DVD writer. So I am basically looking at replacing the box. Can you suggest the best combination and brands in my budget (40K is reachable but 30-35K is comfortable). By the way I now get your G/p/q 45 based motherboard. I saw them on Intel site (each processor has compatible MBs).

Last edited by vasudeva : 6th June 2009 at 11:14.