Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 2nd July 2009, 16:39   #406
Senior - BHPian

For this, go with the config I mentioned for n_aditya. Cost is 30k. Add following:

1. Cost of OS : 5k (Win XP OEM)
2. Office 2007 Home and student : 4k

Costliest part is LCD, it would cost 12 - 15k for 22 inch. Cost could come down to 7k for 17 inch LCD.

Inspiron + 22 LCD + Office would cost much higher.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:47   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Legal s/w will it be expensive.
Since I don't think assembled will get it (s/w) bundled along.
Thanks,
Go for a moderately spec-ed assembled one and install Linux in it. Ubuntu 9.04 does just fine for the applications you mentioned. MS Word and Excel are ably substituted by Openoffice.org (Writer and Calc) which are installed by default with Ubuntu 9.04. The proprietary codecs for MP3, MP4 etc for music, movies etc. can be freely downloaded once the machine is connected to the internet.

Even if you buy a branded machine with preloaded Windows, you'll either be buying MSOffice for Word and Excel or be using a pirated version. Both options are not very likeable.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:58   #408
BHPian

Hey net freak from when does a tagan PSU cost 800 bucks???? ANyway agree with the rest of your config, but change the cost of the PSU. A Tagan will set u back atleast 3k or so.
mav2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 17:45   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
MS Word and Excel are ably substituted by Openoffice.org (Writer and Calc)
Not recommended unless you are using it for academic or personal use.

If you are creating files from scratch, then OpenOffice will do most of the stuff that is done with MS Office.

But that is not the case with Work related files. You would receive templates / documents and work on that. Things like XLA plugins / DLLs for custom calculations would not have been tested with Open Office.

Quote:
Even if you buy a branded machine with preloaded Windows, you'll either be buying MSOffice for Word and Excel or be using a pirated version. Both options are not very likeable.
MS office is quire reasonable at 4k for personal use. Do not risk with other version of you are going to use it for work.

Moreover, if you are working for some MNC, then cost is nearly Zero (Only shipping needs to be paid for DVD).
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:49   #410
Senior - BHPian

you can make Openoffice totally compatible with Windows. All the plug-ins, fonts, options can be installed by the ubuntu Install manager (I forgot the name).

You may not find it equally easy to use as you have probably never used any other office client.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 00:14   #411
Senior - BHPian

Open office is excellent if you are wokring in isolation or if you are creating something from scratch. I use Open Office for bulk processing of documents (though Java API).

Issue is with with custom plugins for Excel / Powerpoint that are used in corporate environment. Porting each one of those is quite a task so nobody does that.

For example, lets say you use stock prices for trading. For that you would need data in Excel for analysis. Most vendors (E.g. Reuters) will have plugins in form of XLA and DLLs. None of them work with Open Office.

With these plugins getting a price of stock is as simple as writing a fomula.

Similarly if you are in Mechanical industry, there are plugins for calculation specific to Volume measurement, they are quite closely tied to MS Office. No vendor releasses such products for Open Office.
Old 3rd July 2009, 03:21   #412
Senior - BHPian

Open office is as it suggests, open source. With Open Source you never get the custmizations built in.

For the layman, Microsoft is still the way to go. Sad but true.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 06:53   #413
Senior - BHPian

funnily, a friend of mine who got a job at cognizant(cts) was pretty surprised to find that they used openoffice instead of MS office everywhere . I imagine they did so more out of the cost motive rather than any affection towards open source
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 07:48   #414
Senior - BHPian

CTS is an IT Services company. Most of the employees work on PC that are setup by Client.

If is Real Big Corp is Open Office Shop then all those working in that account will have PCs setup to match with Real Big Corp. That will usually be MS Office.

For "Cafe PCs" or systems used for Internal work, I believe it would be a good choice to run Open Office since its good enough for Project Metrics etc.

But it would be surprising if they use Open Office Impress for Client presentations as well.
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:04   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
But it would be surprising if they use Open Office Impress for Client presentations as well.
Files created with Writer, Calc and Impress can be saved in the formats of their MSOffice counterparts if those don't have complicated formattings.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 3rd July 2009 at 11:19.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:02   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Files created with Writer, Calc and Impress can be saved in the formats of their MSOffice counterparts if those don't have complicated formattings.
Yaa thats true, but Impress is not as powerful as Powerpoint for most Client-facing Presentations.

Its allright for internal presentations though.
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:15   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Netfreak, I was suggested to go with the Asus Mobo.

The following models are ones I am interested in.

1. M2A-74AM - INR 3300/-

2. M3A-78EM - INR 5000/-

Could you let me know which would be the best (cost effective, compatible, reliable and fast) processor to go with the above MoBo?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd July 2009 at 15:17.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:10   #418
Senior - BHPian

Go with M3A-78EM, it has better graphics so if you decide to run Vista / Windows 7 One year down the line, no additional expense would be required.

Get AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750+ with it, it would cost 3.2k.

So total cost of "core" components would be 5k for Mobo, 3k for CPU and 2.5k for RAM (4 GB).

Thats ~11k.
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:16   #419
Senior - BHPian

Just one word, Asus RMA is not reputed to be the best. MSI and Gigabyte are good when it comes to RMA along with Intel.
AMD setups are nice and best is not to mess up with them.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:25   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the reply netfreak. I appreciate your help in this regard.

@aagoswami : A noob query : please help me understand what RMA and MSI means.

Most of my friends who are into gaming have highly recommended the Asus MoBo. Could you share some info on what kind of problem's one could encounter and where this would scale on the reliability factor when compared with other MoBo's?

Thanks.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd July 2009 at 17:37.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote