Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 6th July 2009, 15:40   #451
Senior - BHPian

I agree with netfreak. Go with E1909 it has better resolution too.

Ay idea on how much is Dell UltraSharp 1909W 19-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor for ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 19:40   #452
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
heh, personally i dont have a single dell product. I prefer buying from people who can be held accountable for what they sell, and do so as much as possible.
OT.

This is the only computer equipment that I have which is not sourced from my regular hardware guy for the past 15 or more years.

I really can't say anything bad about the machine or its working. The battery was a let down but was promptly changed.

Then we have to appreciate the quality and quantity of dust that this machine has to deal with (to be fair, even I am in the same environment)!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2009, 22:31   #453
Senior - BHPian

Bought 2 TFT monitors for the office: 19" ASUS & 18.5" Dell. Costed same for both Rs.6800.

My judgement is that the ASUS is more VFM comapred to Dell since the ASUS came with a DVI port & Dell with a VGA port. Also, I feel that ASUS is having the same picture quality as Dell.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:43   #454
BANNED

Default Need help !

DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK
I'm getting this error from yesterday & When I insert disk it asks to install windows again, when I select the drive (On which I've to install windows) that's not showing my drives (C,D,E) Only unpartition space is showing of full capacity of hardisk, Hmm..my all data has gone ? Or harddisk problem ?
I've checked & re fitted all cables but still no luck !
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:49   #455
Senior - BHPian

Most probably that is a minor corruption in partition tables.

You can recover data by attaching HDD to a PC with Working installation of windows and running a data recovery software. These packages actually scan the whole HDD for files and not not rely only on Partition tables or FAT / MFT.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:16   #456
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Most probably that is a minor corruption in partition tables.

You can recover data by attaching HDD to a PC with Working installation of windows and running a data recovery software. These packages actually scan the whole HDD for files and not not rely only on Partition tables or FAT / MFT.
What I can do now to get it working ? Format ?
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:33   #457
Senior - BHPian

Yes if you are okay with data loss then recreate the partitions and then format.

Note that ALL data would be lost in that process.

To preserve the Data, you need to put it in a working PC and recover data.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 23rd July 2009 at 20:35.
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:39   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally picked up my PC last weekend and I'm having a blast with Call of Duty 4 and 5.

BIG Thank You to NetfreakBombay, Ameeeeey, Sprucegoose, CrackedHead, StarVegabond, aaggoswami, dockap, devarshi84, bblost, and greenhorn.

This is my first computer purchase and i was really lost. Till date computer usage was restricted to the office desktop or office laptop and some occassional visits to the internet cafe if i was on vacation.

This is the configuration i picked up at Data Care Corporation - Deccan, Pune.
Attached Images

Last edited by n_aditya : 23rd July 2009 at 20:40.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:41   #459
BANNED

Quote:
Yes if you are okay with data loss then recreate the partitions and then format.

Note that ALL data would be lost in that process.

To preserve the Data, you need to put it in a working PC and recover data.
I tried recovering data & even recovered some with GETDATA BACK but all music/rar files/ softwares isn't working - anyway to get it work ?

I had even formatted /reinstalled the windows but again it's giving me same error after restart
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:19   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Finally picked up my PC last weekend and I'm having a blast with Call of Duty 4 and 5.
Cool. How much did you have to pay for this config?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I tried recovering data & even recovered some with GETDATA BACK but all music/rar files/ softwares isn't working - anyway to get it work ?

I had even formatted /reinstalled the windows but again it's giving me same error after restart
If you have formatted and reinstalled windows then I don't think there is much hope for data recovery now.

Getdataback sees the File structure (basically directory entries) but would have hard time getting data since large portions are gone due to fresh windows install.
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:27   #461
BANNED

Quote:

If you have formatted and reinstalled windows then I don't think there is much hope for data recovery now.

Getdataback sees the File structure (basically directory entries) but would have hard time getting data since large portions are gone due to fresh windows install.
I've recovered data on other system & that too before formatting, I've all files but that's not responding though..
Anyway thanks for your support
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:55   #462
Senior - BHPian

aditya
1. I wonder if you are running a 64 bit OS. if you're not, then one of your 2GB sticks is virtually idle
2. If you can, return the 1 GB 9400 GT and get a 256 MB 9500 GT - It's a vastly better card. buying a slower card with more memory is a mistake a lot of people make
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:14   #463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. I wonder if you are running a 64 bit OS. if you're not, then one of your 2GB sticks is virtually idle
Hmmm. Stupid query but, how do i check if my OS is 64 bit or not?

Quote:
2. If you can, return the 1 GB 9400 GT and get a 256 MB 9500 GT - It's a vastly better card. buying a slower card with more memory is a mistake a lot of people make
I dont experience any issues with this card. Each new level in the game loads pretty quick. Zero to load in about 3 secs i guess.

Quote:
Around INR 36K.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:19   #464
BHPian

Default Is this a good deal?

I am in need of a PC for my entertainment room and went to one of the dealers for a quote and was give this config and no monitor since i am connecting this to the LCD

Pentium core 2 duo 2.8ghz processor
Intel DG 31 PR original motherboard
3GB DDR2 Transcend Ram
160 GB seagate hard disk
Wireless keyboard & Mouse
Flat cabinet from I Ball
Nvidia 1 GB graphic card

All the above for a price of 27,000. Which I though way too expensive and just walked out. Can some one provide a more realistic price.

I also have another query - can I have a S video or composite video output from the CPU??

Regards,

Srisha
srisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:38   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Hmmm. Stupid query but, how do i check if my OS is 64 bit or not?
How to Check if Windows Vista, XP and 2003 System Is 32-bit or 64-bit (x86 or x64) Version My Digital Life
Running a 64 bit OS has its own set of minor niggles. Point is , getting 4 GB ram is not very useful if you dont plan to run a 64 bit OS now. you can always upgrade later. RAM prices are in a free fall
Quote:
I dont experience any issues with this card. Each new level in the game loads pretty quick. Zero to load in about 3 secs i guess.
Thats not the point. the loading time of game levels does not depend much on the card, - mostly a function of the hard disk speed/Space and main memory. a 9500 GT will let you play more games, and at higher settings,and will be smoother
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote