Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 6th September 2009, 23:19   #541
Senior - BHPian

1) Avoid ASUS, its got a bit of RMA issues. People call me paranoid for this, but hanging in for a lot of time for a replacement is something no body will appreciate.
2) Regarding Graphic card, try Nvidia 9800GT too. Its a nice card available at reasonable prices from reputed manufacturers. Palit is good, MSI one of the best along with Gigabyte. Sparkle is also good. I am yet to have good reviews from PowerColor.

Try AMD setup also. If you are spending close to Rs. 8K for processor, AMD also has a good set available. And if you opt for X3 version of Phenom, the extra core will be useful.
If you are spending Rs. 15+K on processor, I will suggest you go for Core i7. Core i7 920 is available for around Rs. 15K. Ofcourse the ecosystem will be expensive, but its well worth the cost.

Although uncalled for, I suggest you buy all these components in two groups or three groups. Group 1 might be processor, RAM, mobo, graphic card, Group two will be Sound card, HDD, etc.

This way you will be able to get a clear idea on how much you have spent. Getting all the components for a gaming rig at the same time is next to impossible for the budget you have mentioned.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 15:47   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Avoid ASUS, its got a bit of RMA issues. People call me paranoid for this, but hanging in for a lot of time for a replacement is something no body will appreciate.
I've always heard the opposite of this. ASUS faulty replacement is good according to most of the assemblers.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 16:15   #543
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
2) Regarding Graphic card, try Nvidia 9800GT too. Its a nice card available at reasonable prices from reputed manufacturers. Palit is good, MSI one of the best along with Gigabyte. Sparkle is also good. I am yet to have good reviews from PowerColor.

As far as my knowledge goes, Nvidia GTS 250 is more powerful than Nvidia 9800GT. Price difference is also negligible (around 900-1000 bucks). Also, PowerColor has some very powerful cards. Since, it is based on ATI Radeon chipset so normally people don't go for it. This card is one of the recommended cards in Digit (Aug, 2009).

Quote:
Try AMD setup also. If you are spending close to Rs. 8K for processor, AMD also has a good set available. And if you opt for X3 version of Phenom, the extra core will be useful.
If you are spending Rs. 15+K on processor, I will suggest you go for Core i7. Core i7 920 is available for around Rs. 15K. Ofcourse the ecosystem will be expensive, but its well worth the cost.
I also dis-agree with you regarding choice of processor Core i7 920. At present price, it is not worth the upgrade provided one has no concern for budget.

Also, IMO for a gaming rig you will need faster processing power not extra cores. Extra cores are helpful when you are multi-tasking or using rendering softwares.

Anyway, these are my personal opinion. Please don't take this to heart.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 17:28   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I've always heard the opposite of this. ASUS faulty replacement is good according to most of the assemblers.
I have had excellent results in this area with ASUS. I particularly love their overclockability in higher end boards, and their support when I had to replace a P35K Deluxe was very good, I got it replaced in a week.

@Joy
Agreed.The 9800 and GTS 250 are almost neck in neck with performance. And about the core i7 920, It is an awesome processor if you want to overclock, i am currently Running mine at 4.44GHz stably, I am using it for hardcore rendering and gaming as well. And in every sense it will be worth the extra money If you go for it in terms of pure computability.
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 7th September 2009 at 17:34.
Torqueguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 19:25   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
And this is exactly the opposite of what I have experienced. Again this depends a lot on location also. But my personal experience from Asus RMA is not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
1) As far as my knowledge goes, Nvidia GTS 250 is more powerful than Nvidia 9800GT. Price difference is also negligible (around 900-1000 bucks). Also, PowerColor has some very powerful cards. Since, it is based on ATI Radeon chipset so normally people don't go for it. This card is one of the recommended cards in Digit (Aug, 2009).

2) I also dis-agree with you regarding choice of processor Core i7 920. At present price, it is not worth the upgrade provided one has no concern for budget.

Also, IMO for a gaming rig you will need faster processing power not extra cores. Extra cores are helpful when you are multi-tasking or using rendering softwares.

Anyway, these are my personal opinion. Please don't take this to heart.
1) Dont blindly go by what you read in mags. They do have knowledge, but theirs are not the ultimate results. The best card infact is 4770. Can fight with 4850 too. 4770 is one of the best bet today.
I would recommend him 4770 if can can afford one. Palit is selling 9800GT at quite low prices, hence brought in it, else its 4770 all the way.

2) I have used single core athlon, dual core athlon ( industry's first native dual core ) and a quad core.
All of them are with me. I can safely assure that additional cores will help in gaming in case of 64 bit OS. This is again from my own experience. Moreover, I think cooldude is also using the machine for ripping the movies. Here, extra cores can be a great help.

I have experienced that Q8400 with 64 bit OS is faster than X2 5000+ OCed to 3.0 GHz with 64 bit OS in case of gaming.

I think I have already mentioned that i7 920 is expensive, no doubt on this. And the real expense is in ecosystem as compared to Q9550, but its well worth it. Its simply awesome.
I know its expensive, but its too good to be ignored by a gamer and movie ripper.
Old 7th September 2009, 19:31   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
devarshi, maybe you deal with a distributor other than rashi, but asus has probably has the highest number of complaints and unresolved issues reported by folks in indian tech forums, and my experience has not been too different. I too got fed up and had to settle for a partially working M2A VM after a couple of RMA's

Asus RMA - TechEnclave
Asus RMA woes + 939 board suggestions - TechEnclave
Poor ASUS after sales service story . - TechEnclave
Rashi - Asus MB RMA - TechEnclave
Pathetic Asus Service - TechEnclave
Calling all Rashi haters - Boycott Rashi & Asus - TechEnclave
Sigh :no: Asus :( - TechEnclave
why people avoid ASUS these days
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 01:21   #547

Default Help in computer upgradation

Hi gurus

I am planning to upgrade my home PC very soon and I have a budget of around 20k-25k. Currently I use it only for very basic applications but I am planning to do a course on sound engineering in some time, so I want to make sure it has adequate computing muscle to help me do some sound editing on it. I also play some games on it occasionally.

I would really appreciate if you could help with the configuration as my knowledge about computers is severly limited. I will be totally be going by your suggestions so whatever you recommend is the final word for me.

Thanks
Vishesh
visheshag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 18:43   #548
Joy
BHPian

@aaggoswami - 1) I don't go blindly with what I see in mags. I double check it with the information available in the net. I agree HD 4770 is one of the best cards but GTS 250 is also in the same league or might be slightly ahead. Regarding 9800GT and GTS 250, I just want to highlight that memory bandwith of 9800GT is 57.6 while that of GTS 250 is 70.4, almost 20% bettter. I think at modest consideration performance will get a 10% gain in performace.

2) I again agree that while rendering movie the multiple cores will help. But I tend to differ in your opinion regarding games. How many games are there is which are true 64 bit in nature? Most of them uses a 64 bit patch. So you don't gain that kind of performance gain as the basic architecture is 32 bit.

Thanks & Regards.
Old 8th September 2009, 22:14   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@aaggoswami - 1) I don't go blindly with what I see in mags. I double check it with the information available in the net. I agree HD 4770 is one of the best cards but GTS 250 is also in the same league or might be slightly ahead. Regarding 9800GT and GTS 250, I just want to highlight that memory bandwidth of 9800GT is 57.6 while that of GTS 250 is 70.4, almost 20% better. I think at modest consideration performance will get a 10% gain in performance.

Also bandwidth is not the only criteria, 4770 is 51.2 and 4850 is 63.X, but still 4770 matches 4850.

2) I again agree that while rendering movie the multiple cores will help. But I tend to differ in your opinion regarding games. How many games are there is which are true 64 bit in nature? Most of them uses a 64 bit patch. So you don't gain that kind of performance gain as the basic architecture is 32 bit.
1) IIRC, is this not re-badged 9800GTX ? Nvidia did play a re-badge game. Next, 9800GT and GTS250 are basically the same core. Yes, bandwidth is more, but it will also eat a bit of more power. Here, considering the strict budget, 9800GT is quite perfect IMHO.

2) I have seen game performance improvement in almost all cases,one particular case with Crysis. Quad was much faster than single core and dual core. Single core, it was next to impossible to play this game. Dual core just about managed it, but it was quad that ate this game.
Considering that cool dude is going to keep this PC for four-five years, a quad makes more sense as the newer softwares will be able to access the processing power and newer games will also be capable of using all the processing power.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th September 2009 at 22:28.
Old 8th September 2009, 23:58   #550
BHPian

Ok guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my desktop, my current self build is 6.5 years old, still ok for our general home use, but lacking in the past 5 or so generations of advancements, please give me a rough figure on the cost of components, i don't play games very often, but do a lot of 3d interior design work, which requires a lot of processing power for the photo realistic rendering of my designs. Budget around 20k, for that I need a good mobo, my old Asus has performed impecably for 6.5 years, at least a dual core cpu, 3gigs ram, dvd writer, sata hd around 320gb and a half decent graphics card, i guess this would need to be a PCi express variant. Most of my work will be done on the dell lappy i have ordered, but i also need to use a desktop, for comfort reasons, any suggestions guys?
stefanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 01:39   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
Ok guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my desktop, my current self build is 6.5 years old, still ok for our general home use, but lacking in the past 5 or so generations of advancements, please give me a rough figure on the cost of components, i don't play games very often, but do a lot of 3d interior design work, which requires a lot of processing power for the photo realistic rendering of my designs. Budget around 20k, for that I need a good mobo, my old Asus has performed impecably for 6.5 years, at least a dual core cpu, 3gigs ram, dvd writer, sata hd around 320gb and a half decent graphics card, i guess this would need to be a PCi express variant. Most of my work will be done on the dell lappy i have ordered, but i also need to use a desktop, for comfort reasons, any suggestions guys?
1) Processor : Athlon X2 250 Rs. 4,100
2) Mobo : Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H, Rs. 6,100
3) RAM : Corsair DDR3 3 X 1 GB, Rs. 4,950
4) DVD Writer : LG, Rs. 1,100
5) Graphic Card : 9600GT, Rs. 5,000
6) HDD : Rs. 2,300

Total : Rs. 23,550.
Old 9th September 2009, 23:24   #552
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
1)
2) I have seen game performance improvement in almost all cases,one particular case with Crysis. Quad was much faster than single core and dual core. Single core, it was next to impossible to play this game. Dual core just about managed it, but it was quad that ate this game.
Considering that cool dude is going to keep this PC for four-five years, a quad makes more sense as the newer softwares will be able to access the processing power and newer games will also be capable of using all the processing power.
This is the official recomendation for playing crysis.

Recommended System Requirements
OS Windows XP / Vista
Processor Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory 2.0 GB RAM
GPU NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

It depends on the graphics card you have, not the processor. Moreover, IIRC if your processor is not a bottleneck like dual core or below, it ultimately depends on the gpu processing power.

Yes, I agree that ultimately you will need more cores, but IMHO I don't think it will be needed in the next 2-3 years.

Please don't take it to heart. Treat it just like a debate.

Nice to interact.

Thanks & Regards.
Old 10th September 2009, 10:53   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It depends on the graphics card you have, not the processor. Moreover, IIRC if your processor is not a bottleneck like dual core or below, it ultimately depends on the gpu processing power.

Yes, I agree that ultimately you will need more cores, but IMHO I don't think it will be needed in the next 2-3 years.
I tried all the three machines with 9500GT that I have. All of them have PCIe 1.1 slots. I tried this specifically to know which one is better for gaming. Apparently, the dual and quad are almost the same in low end games like crysis, but at the end of the day, after doing experiements, I can safely say that a faster processor will help. Fast processor + fast GPU is nice, but overall, I would like to say that spending an even amount on both of them gives you best results which can also be called optimum. Here we are discussing cooldude question and considering that he is also going to do music editing, I think its worth to spend on processor.
Old 14th October 2009, 12:26   #554
BHPian

Hi,

My system's configuration is -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Processor Intel E8400; 3.0 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 6 MB L2 Cache
Motherboard DG31PR, Intel G31 Chipset, 1333 MHz FSB
RAM Kingston , 2*1GB DDR2 800 MHz
Graphics Card 2400 XFX 7900GS, 256 MB DDR3
HDD Seagate 500GB, Sata2, 7200.12, 32 MB Buffer
Power Supply Corasair 450W
I am ordering a XFX HD4770 from newegg.com. Will this work with my config. Since the mobo supports only PCI Express 1.0 x16; whereas the card requires 2.0 x16.

Quote:
From my practical experience, if I stuff in 9800GT in 1.1 slot and 2.0 slot, I am able to notice a marginal performance gain in 2.0.
The difference is there practically, but then you just wont notice it. Its noticeable when playing graphics heavy game Crysis ( that brings the highest end cards to its knees ) at very high settings.
Otherwise the difference is not noticeable by everyone.
Theorotically, there will be no difference, but practically difference is observed. The reason why always 2.0 mobo must be bought is that the 5XXX series from ATI and next gen cards from Nvidia will need the 2.0 slot.

The card you have mentioned uses around 150W. The slot can itself provide 75W, but not more. 4850 and 4830 use 110W. 4770 uses 80W.

If you dont want to spend more on PSU, I suggest you have a look at 4770. It is very good VFM card that does everything fine and consumes less power. It is better than 4830 and can match 4850 if some OC is done. But overall its a nice card for around Rs. 8.5K.

I recommend have a look at 4770. And still if you want 4870 then you will have to go for new PSU. There are some splitter jobs available, but never use them.

EDIT : If you are using dual GPU set up, you will need 2.0.
Are you sure a HD4770 will work with DG31PR.

\N
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 14:07   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I am ordering a XFX HD4770 from newegg.com. Will this work with my config. Since the mobo supports only PCI Express 1.0 x16; whereas the card requires 2.0 x16.
Are you sure a HD4770 will work with DG31PR.
Yes. To the best of my knowledge, DG31PR has PCI X16 slot, so this car will work with HD4770.