Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th January 2010, 21:34   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwajid View Post
Try using a dark mouse pad and see if the same thing happens. Lighter surface usually tends to do this! If it still does it, please go to the dealer > Ask him to lie down > and do this

This one did the trick - thanks very much!!!!

The mouse was being used on a plain white rexine tabletop. I put a light blue plastic sheet (From a spiral binding which came loose), and the mouse pointer is now more stable.

But I cannot understand why the eralier mouse (logitech) which was also an optical mouse, but only PS/2 would work properly, while this one would not.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 19:15   #572
BHPian

Question PC query

Gurus,

I want to buy a Desktop for home and looking for options. Was going through Dell site and saw for their 560S model they offer 64 bit Windows OS as standard. It is a must I believe to use the 4GB ram I chose. Is it true ?

And once I buy this will free applications (available for free) work on 64 bit OS without any issue ?

And how critical is it to have a Intel chipset motherboard (which I hear is good). Dell website doesn't tell what motherboard they are equipping their system with !

Thanks
Bullfrog
Bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 20:46   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
I want to buy a Desktop for home and looking for options. Was going through Dell site and saw for their 560S model they offer 64 bit Windows OS as standard. It is a must I believe to use the 4GB ram I chose. Is it true ?
yes, this is true. 32-bit systems (a.k.a x86) can address a maximum of 2.9GB of RAM. so you'll require a 64-bit (a.k.a x64) system to handle memory above that number.

Quote:
And once I buy this will free applications (available for free) work on 64 bit OS without any issue ?
that depends. most applications will work in 64-bit systems, if not you can try to run them in compatibility mode. however, there would be some stubborn applications that'll just refuse to run on 64-bit systems. so before moving on to a 64-bit system, it would be advisable to check if your existing applications will work.

Quote:
And how critical is it to have a Intel chipset motherboard (which I hear is good). Dell website doesn't tell what motherboard they are equipping their system with !
well, if it's an Intel processor, it will have a Intel chipset motherboard - there are no two ways about it. you can't have a Intel processor sitting on a AMD chipset motherboard. its like oil and water.

BUT, there are different types of Intel (and AMD) chipsets, having different features. higher the features (for e.g., supporting high speed RAM, FSB etc.) more expensive the board and hence the computer.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 17:44   #574
BHPian

My old IBM T41 died and T61 is mostly used by me, so wife wants a PC urgently.
I already have a 24 inch HD monitor, wireless keyboard/mouse and Creative 2.1 speaker. If possible I would like to plug the home theater audio system as well.

Just need to make a CPU box with decent enough memory, graphics and processor power.

Use:
- Photo and video editing in large size mostly
- Play Audio (Preferably 5.1 channel) and video (preferrably HD)
- All office applications
- Occasional gaming
- Browsing

Must have:
HDMI
Wi-Fi LAN
At least 4Gig RAM
Bluetooth
Above 2GHz processor

Budget: around 20-25k (only for the CPU box)

Please suggest me a good configuration including approximate price.

I have browsed through the previous threads, but since the PC world changes so frequenly, I assume so much of them will be already stale. Or I do not know about it.
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 14:39   #575
BHPian

Alright, no response as I expected.
Let me try my luck once again.

Here is what I have shortlisted after researching mostly on the web.

MB - 4AMD GigaByte ATI 785G Chipset MA785GM-UD2H - Rs.7,108

CPU - AMD Phenom II 3.4 Ghz. 965 X4 Black Edition - Rs.9,300

SMPS - Corsair 550W VX - Rs.5,510

DVD Writer - Samsung OEM SATA Black 22X - Rs.1,014

HDD - Seagate SATA 1 TB 32 MB Cache - Rs.4,108

Memory - DDR II Transcend 4 Gb 800 mhz. - Rs.4,032

Subtotal: Rs.31,072

How is this deal in terms of configuration and pricing?

Have to get some suggestion on,
Cabinet - ?? (Which one to get. Should be sleek and black)
Wi-Fi USB - ??
Old 6th February 2010, 16:09   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Let me try my luck once again.

Cabinet - ?? (Which one to get. Should be sleek and black)
Wi-Fi USB - ??
1) All your setup is great and rather for high end computing, but do you really need that high end processor ? You can also try Athlon II X4 if you want to lower down on your budget.

2) Cabinet : Go for Iball, higher series or coolermaster. I am not able to memorize any specific one, but just a search would be enough on cooler master website. Dont forget utility while buying cabinet.

3) I suggest that you go for Athlon II X4 and buy a GT240 or 9600GT dedicated graphic card.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 17:19   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) All your setup is great and rather for high end computing, but do you really need that high end processor ? You can also try Athlon II X4 if you want to lower down on your budget.

2) Cabinet : Go for Iball, higher series or coolermaster. I am not able to memorize any specific one, but just a search would be enough on cooler master website. Dont forget utility while buying cabinet.

3) I suggest that you go for Athlon II X4 and buy a GT240 or 9600GT dedicated graphic card.
Thank you aaggoswami
As of today, I know I really do not need such high processing power.
But the way software things are getting heaver each day, I thought it will be a wise investment.

Also I thought the graphics on mother board (GA-MA785GM-UD2H ) is decent enough with HDMI and HD etc.. Since I have no plans for heavy gaming, I should be good with it. Or am I saying this because I haven't experienced the difference with good graphics card.

By the way is this the processor you are suggesting, Athlon II 2.6 Ghz. 620 X4 ? Comes to around Rs.4,798

On the cabinet side, how good is CoolerMaster Elite 335? And can you please list the utilities you mentioned. I have a fair idea, but may be outdated.
Old 7th February 2010, 10:05   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Thank you aaggoswami

1) As of today, I know I really do not need such high processing power.
But the way software things are getting heaver each day, I thought it will be a wise investment.

2) Also I thought the graphics on mother board (GA-MA785GM-UD2H ) is decent enough with HDMI and HD etc.. Since I have no plans for heavy gaming, I should be good with it. Or am I saying this because I haven't experienced the difference with good graphics card.

3) By the way is this the processor you are suggesting, Athlon II 2.6 Ghz. 620 X4 ? Comes to around Rs.4,798

4) On the cabinet side, how good is CoolerMaster Elite 335? And can you please list the utilities you mentioned. I have a fair idea, but may be outdated.
1) You are right, it would be wise, but the latest Athlon II X4 can handle windows7 also. They are much more capable with their roots going into Phenoms. But if you can afford Phenom II X4, then go for it. By the time softwares becomes heavier enough, there will be newer processors avaiable. That said the Phenom you have chosen is an excellent VFM processor.

2) Correct. The on board is good enough, but not for heavier games. If you are casual gamer, then no issues with on board graphics.

3) Yes.

4) 335 is a good one. Glanced at it, nothing wrong. What I really like is almost tool free design.
Ventilation is key area one has to look into. For 335, go for that optional 120mm intake fan also.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 16:53   #579
BHPian

Quote:
1) By the time softwares becomes heavier enough, there will be newer processors avaiable. That said the Phenom you have chosen is an excellent VFM processor.
I will not have to think about a processor upgrade at least for next three years.

Quote:
2) Correct. The on board is good enough, but not for heavier games. If you are casual gamer, then no issues with on board graphics.
Too few gaming. NFS or AOE kind of, that too occasionally.

Quote:
4) 335 is a good one. Glanced at it, nothing wrong. What I really like is almost tool free design.
Ventilation is key area one has to look into. For 335, go for that optional 120mm intake fan also.
I haven't seen one. But spec and reviews were neat for 335.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and help. How good is the pricing I got on all these items?
Old 7th February 2010, 19:23   #580
BHPian

@Ironhawk
"yes, this is true. 32-bit systems (a.k.a x86) can address a maximum of 2.9GB of RAM. so you'll require a 64-bit (a.k.a x64) system to handle memory above that number."

I am afraid thats not exactly the case. 32-bit OSs need to use part of the full 4GB address space to address these resources, subtracting from the maximum memory you have available to the OS and applications. So in theory, a 32 bit system can address 2 to the power of 32 RAM. which is 4 Gigs of RAM. So in some cases, depending on the apps that are running, sometimes your 32 bit os can get 3.5, 3.2,2.9 etc Gigs of memory as well.

@Sjkoova
Good config for the money. Its by no means high end. Very good for your needs. Go for it!
I use a USB adapter made by Linksys, and its been working like a charm for me. I would suggest it to u.

Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 7th February 2010 at 19:32.
Torqueguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 20:23   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@Sjkoova
Good config for the money. Its by no means high end. Very good for your needs. Go for it!
I use a USB adapter made by Linksys, and its been working like a charm for me. I would suggest it to u.

Regards,
TG.
Thanks TG.
I too felt AMD processor is real value for money.
Linksys or D-Link Wi-Fi is in my list too. I already use a Linksys router.
Old 7th February 2010, 20:43   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
yes, this is true. 32-bit systems (a.k.a x86) can address a maximum of 2.9GB of RAM. so you'll require a 64-bit (a.k.a x64) system to handle memory above that number.
My post is a nitpick, trying to clear this up.

32 bit systems can address much larger memory than 4 or 3 GB. Reason is internal OS addressing space is larger than 32 bits. This is possible due to a processor feature called "Physical Address Extension".

For example Windows 2003 (Enterprise) 32 bit can address up to 128 GB.

However, a single process would be limited to 4 GB space. This is because for processes max address space is 2 ^ 32.

Microsoft documentation on this subject :

Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 7th February 2010 at 20:45.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 23:49   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

@Torqueguru, NetfreakBombay:

in theory is fine, but is it of any use running more than 2GB on a 32-bit OS? i don't think so. you just have the memory there, but it doesn't do anything. hey, you can open many more windows if you'd like, but something tells me that ain't the idea here.

also, i don't think sj_koova has intentions of running a Windows 2003 (or 2008 for that matter) Enterprise server on his home computer, i was thinking more in the lines of XP, Vista, or 7, which do have these limitations. also, many other factors come into play, processor architecture, RAM, motherboard etc.

i do agree with you on the theory part, but don't you think its irrelevant in this case?

@sj_koova:
please don't rely on on-board graphics if you intend to play games like NFS Underground and above, you better get yourself a good graphics card.

also, if you don't intend to upgrade in the next 3-4yrs, go for a quad-core instead of a dual-core. this is because more and more applications (and games) are beginning to fully utilise all four cores. i would suggest an AMD. it runs cooler and is
Old 8th February 2010, 11:04   #584
BHPian

I plan to stretch my budget a bit to grab the "AMD Phenom II 3.4 Ghz. 965 X4 Black Edition" itself. It has got excellent reviews all over the web.
Since I am already stretching my budget for processor, I will keep the graphics card for the next upgrade. Anyways I do not play much game. I guess the on-board graphics will share the system memory and my plan for 4gig will suffice my kind of requirement.

For movies and music, I use my Panasonic home theater system. So the PC will be purely for applications and photo editing.

I am placing the order today through Binary World. Here is how the pricing looks like,

MB 4AMD GigaByte ATI 785G Chipset MA785GM-UD2H - Rs.7,108
CPU AMD Phenom II 3.4 Ghz. 965 X4 Black Edition - Rs.9,300
Cabinet Cooler Master Elite 335 with CM 500W SMPS - Rs.4,593
Memory DDR II Transcend 2 Gb 800 mhz - Rs.4,032
HDD Seagate SATA 1 TB 32 MB Cache - Rs.4,108
DVD Writer Samsung OEM SATA Black 22X - Rs.1,014
Wi Fi USB Adapter D Link 54mbps - Rs.1,024

Subtotal: Rs.31,179 + 4%VAT = Rs.32,427

Anyone know if I can get it cheaper in SP road, Bangalore?
Old 8th February 2010, 12:37   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
also, i don't think sj_koova has intentions of running a Windows 2003 (or 2008 for that matter) Enterprise server on his home computer, i was thinking more in the lines of XP, Vista, or 7, which do have these limitations. also, many other factors come into play, processor architecture, RAM, motherboard etc.
in the above, i was referring to Bullfrog, not sj_koova. apologies for the overlook.