Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th April 2010, 14:49   #601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Hi guys! I am planning to buy a desktop since my Sony laptop is in it's last stages (More of that later). My budget is ~37k and I have made the following rig. If you guys have any suggestions, please please and please share that with me

The pc will be used for normal gaming like NFS series, GTA series, Flight Simulator, etc. I would also do some photoshopping on it!
Total : Rs 38000
just don't get yourself a cheap SMPS trying to save money. my friend got a local SMPS inspite of me telling him not to and guess what - the SMPS got fried after a few months and it fried the 500GB hard drive along with it!
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 21:19   #602
BHPian

Ironhawk and aaggoswami (and other experts) need some urgent help. Posted in the Whats your computer's configuration thread but I guess it's better suited here:

I need to replace my entire cabinet as the PC does not boot frequently and that is a big headache. I need a simple, functional system. Don't plan to do any gaming, at the maximum, will use Photoshop. Please suggest what configuration I should buy.

The monitor, keyboard, mouse, UPS, speakers etc are perfectly fine so will retain them. I'm not looking to spend too much, want reliable performance for everyday home computing. However, I don't want to skimp on important components that affect reliability, which is key for me.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 17:59   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Ironhawk and aaggoswami (and other experts) need some urgent help. Posted in the Whats your computer's configuration thread but I guess it's better suited here:

I need to replace my entire cabinet as the PC does not boot frequently and that is a big headache. I need a simple, functional system. Don't plan to do any gaming, at the maximum, will use Photoshop. Please suggest what configuration I should buy.
From your description, I understand that you want to replace the CPU that includes Microprocessor, motherboard, RAM, PSU, HDD, etc.

I suggest you go for AMD Athlon II X4 series processors. They are real VFM, and basically the Phenom II X4 with no L3 cache. I am myself using Athlon II X2, but even dual core is doing great. I have seen systems built on Athlon II X4 and they are really good, stable and fast enough.

About mobo, I will recommend you MSI or Gigabyte. They are called First tier companies along with Asus. Asus has RMA issues, so I would say go for either MSI or Gigabyte. The chipset preferred is 790 or 785.

About PSU, I would recommend you for Iball cabinet like Net-X which comes with 400W PSU capable of powering reasonable setup. However, an upgrade is wise decision. Go for Corsair

I would also suggest you get yourself a graphic card. HD4770 is one of the best you can get. You can also consider 9800GT. HD4770 is recommended.

RAM : DDR3 2X2GB.

Last but not the least. Do put up your budget. That would help a lot. I know you have mentioned that you are not planning to spend much, but what is approximate budget ?

I am putting up two configs for reference :

First config for processor/mobo:
AMD Athlon II X4 630
MSI MSI 785GM-E51 Motherboard/
MSI 785G-E53 Motherboard ( do confirm for PCI Xpress X16 2.0 )

Second config for processor/mobo:
AMD Phenom II X4 945/
AMD Phenom II X4 925
MSI 890GXM-G65 Motherboard

Common :
PSU : Confirm for 12V rails. 600W PSU from Iball is also good option.
Graphic card : ATi Radeon HD4770/HD5760, Nvidia GT240, 9800GT.
RAM : Patriot 2X2GB DDR3 1333MHz
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 12:49   #604
BHPian

Thanks very much aagoswami, sorry for the delay as I was trying to get the specifications of my PC.

CURRENT SPECS:

RAM:
1GB DDR 2
Motherboard: Gigagbyte 945 GCM
Harddisk: Seagate 80GB SATA
SMPS: HU-300FB
Display card: None
Cabinet: 80X, local make, there is some problem with the USB connectors and audio/video holes in the front, they don't work.
Optical drive:
LG DVD RW super multi
Processor:

Pentium (r) D
925 SL9KA Costa Rica
3.00GHZ,/4M/800/05A
3715A646

Note 1: We have 2 1 GB sticks but are using only one since some time earlier, we added the other 1GB, but since there was some display problem, we removed it.
Note 2: We have had problems with the PC switching on, this has happened on and off. The guy comes and cleans the RAM and reinserts and it gets on again, but Im not at all convinced.

Note sure what I can resuse from the existing components.

We would like to spend about 10-15k in addition to the money that comes when we give this for exchange. (We know the supplier very well and he will take it back at the best price and give us the lowest price as well, Ill ensure that it happens )

Please can you give me the appropriate specs?

Last edited by Proxima : 1st May 2010 at 12:52.
Old 1st May 2010, 13:59   #605
BHPian

aagoswami, the first config you suggested comes to 18-19k if I dont buy a graphics card now. I need to stretch to about 18-19k I guess which is fine.

Any Intel options at this price-point? How is:
Intel Core i3-530 2.93 GHz Processor
or
Intel� Core�2 Duo Desktop Processor E7500
in comparison with the AMD Athlon II X4 630?

Also, regd the cabinet, which model do you suggest? iBall seems a little less expensive that Cooler Master but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Proxima : 1st May 2010 at 14:07.
Old 1st May 2010, 18:20   #606
BHPian

Intel i3 series is good, but it's a rule of thumb that AMD offers better performance at a budget price point. Athlon and Phenom are proven parts.

Why don't you retain your RAM chips for now, and check if using them on the new rig causes any problems ? Might be a problem in the RAM slot of the motherboard.

As for the cabinet, I'd say if your budget permits, go for a Corsair PSU. In that case, a cab won't make that much of a difference, just look for a solid build and go for it. Haven't got much knowledge of PSUs that come with cabs.

You don't need a GPU only if you don't game or do anything graphics intensive other than light photoshopping. Even a budget card like 4650 and 4670 will make a HUGE difference, compared to onboard jokes....
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 16:10   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Note 2: We have had problems with the PC switching on, this has happened on and off. The guy comes and cleans the RAM and reinserts and it gets on again, but Im not at all convinced.
RAM could be one issue. May be CPU reaches max temperature and reboots. again.
Along with this get out the CPU fan and heatsink, clean the heatsink, wipe out old heatsink thermal paste. Reapply new thermal paste little at central spot so that it could speard evenly when pressed by heat sink(size is bigger than smiley and 1-2 mm thick is okay).
omishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 16:23   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
RAM could be one issue. May be CPU reaches max temperature and reboots. again.
Along with this get out the CPU fan and heatsink, clean the heatsink, wipe out old heatsink thermal paste. Reapply new thermal paste little at central spot so that it could speard evenly when pressed by heat sink(size is bigger than smiley and 1-2 mm thick is okay).
yep, heat can cause havoc. if the processor overheats, it will just shutdown (if not burn out) and will only boot when it's cooled down a bit. nowadays, even the high speed/high performance RAMs (1066Mhz upwards) come with heat spreaders which dissipate heat, but where does this heat go?

many people i've seen get powerful processors, RAM, latest graphics card etc. but sadly seat them in cheap, locally available cabinets without proper cooling/air flow to regulate the heat generated inside the cabinet.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 20:14   #609
BANNED

Default re: Help with Computer Config

For a small office setup, I am planning 3 computers with following configuration.

How good is it?

Processor: Core 2 Duo -- 5200rs
MotherBoard: Asus P5G41 -- 2200rs
Ram: 2GB DDR3 -- 1200rs
HardDisk: 250gb Seagate -- 1525rs

1. Is Dual Core processor a cheaper and better choice?
2. Is Asus MotherBoard ok?
3. Is ViewSonic LCD monitor(16") good?

Prices are with out tax in Golcha Computers - S.P Road.

Last edited by COUNSEL : 9th December 2010 at 20:20.
COUNSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 22:25   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
For a small office setup, I am planning 3 computers with following configuration.

How good is it?

Processor: Core 2 Duo -- 5200rs
MotherBoard: Asus P5G41 -- 2200rs
Ram: 2GB DDR3 -- 1200rs
HardDisk: 250gb Seagate -- 1525rs

1. Is Dual Core processor a cheaper and better choice?
2. Is Asus MotherBoard ok?
3. Is ViewSonic LCD monitor(16") good?

Prices are with out tax in Golcha Computers - S.P Road.
Core 2 Duo is an aged, outdated line. The seller is trying to clear his old stock. Not surprising. I saw a Sempron in my neighbor's few months old PC.

I'd recommend AMD Athlon X3 450 or Athlon X4 640. Both are within your price range. [They are triple core and quad core proccies respectively].

The motherboard, again, is an old model. You'll need a different one for an AMD anyway.

Viewsonic is also a good brand. But make sure you google for the model number of your monitor to ensure that there aren't any design flaws in this series.

A quick Google Search can reveal surprising amount of info.

EDIT : Core 2 Duo is not as aged as I've spoken, it's just been replaced by newer models, but the newer ones are better.
Old 9th December 2010, 23:06   #611
BANNED

Hey.. Thanks for the reply.

I know Intel I3 540 is fast moving these days. It costs 4850rs and Intel MotherBoard DH55TC costs 4400rs. So almost double of Core 2 Duo. I doon't really need high config PC, hence I thought of Core 2 Duo.

I will check out with AMD tomorrow.

Any drawbacks with going for AMD? Which make MotherBoards are best suited for AMD processor? Asus and Gigabyte are the Brands I know a bit.

Help!

Last edited by COUNSEL : 9th December 2010 at 23:08.
COUNSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 00:39   #612
BHPian

Quote:

I know Intel I3 540 is fast moving these days. It costs 4850rs and Intel MotherBoard DH55TC costs 4400rs. So almost double of Core 2 Duo. I doon't really need high config PC, hence I thought of Core 2 Duo.

Any drawbacks with going for AMD? Which make MotherBoards are best suited for AMD processor? Asus and Gigabyte are the Brands I know a bit.

Help!

Asus has given me trouble in the past. Once this one dies (its breathing its last) I dont think I will go back to it.

Also invest in a good SMPS. VIP/ Cooler Master
alter.e.go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 01:24   #613
BHPian

Quote:
You're welcome, anytime.

Quote:
You're right. I just checked. The boards are expensive. Couldn't find any within your budget.

Quote:

Any drawbacks with going for AMD?
None. It's just people's perception. AMD is as good a brand as Intel. And it makes some great processors, especially for budget range. I've been using the same AMD processor [Athlon 2400+] for the past 6 years, including the 4-5 months when its thermal paste was removed and it was running at 74-78 degrees. No signs of old age even now.

Quote:
Which make MotherBoards are best suited for AMD processor? Asus and Gigabyte are the Brands I know a bit.
Personally, I've had no problems with my Asus board based branded PC [Compaq, bought 2004] but maybe things have changed.

Mr. Aggoswami here is always against Asus, and now @alter.e.go has reported a bad experience in above post, so let's stay away from Asus. There're a plenty of other manufacturers.

Good ones : Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock, XFX, Biostar, Zotac.

Again, some motherboards have design flaws. So make sure to google for the motherboard's model number before buying. If it has a design flaw, a search will yield a huge number of negative reviews at retail sites, review sites, forums etc.

Last edited by anku94 : 10th December 2010 at 01:27.
Old 7th April 2011, 13:14   #614
BHPian

Hi Guys, i am looking for a PC for my sister who would use it for Surfing, Movies, Music and some MS Office related documents. She is studying in SYJC right now and i was looking for something that would be be sufficient enough till her graduation. My budget for the same is 18-20K.

This is what i had in mind (not a comp geek so pls excuse )

- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.9 Ghz
- << dont know what motherboard to use >> Intel i guess ?
- Seagate 500 Gb SATA
- 4 Gb RAM -Transcend ?
- 18" TFT
- LG DVD RW
- Wireless Keyboard + Mouse
- Cabinet
- Creative 2.1

not sure if the above would fit in the budget. Do let me know your view guys !
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 14:11   #615
BHPian

A Core 2 Duo in 2011 ? I think you don't know that the generation of microprocessors that replaced Core 2 Duo has also been replaced. Go for Core i3 2100 processor.

Case : Cooler Master Elite 310

Motherboard : Intel DH67BL B3 stepping (Do not buy B2, they're defective.)

Processor : Core i3 2100

RAM : Corsair/Transcend/GSkill 2x2GB (will provide better performance than 1x4 GB due to dual-channel mode)

HDD : WD/Seagate whatever you need

PSU : FSP Saga II 350W/400W (I'd suggest go for 400W to leave room for future expansion or a graphics card, but if you are low on budget, 350W will do)

I think that's pretty much it. Don't go for cheap case or PSU, the ones I've suggested are the most affordable good products. If you go for i3 2100 today, you can upgrade to i5 2400 (Costs 10k) anytime you feel the need to have more processing power, while the i3 2100 is more than good enough for your current needs.

And yeah, all these things are available in India online, so if your retailer says he doesn't have them in stock, just look online. You'll get better prices as well.

Last edited by anku94 : 7th April 2011 at 14:12.