Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 10:15   #631
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Help me choose a desktop for under Rs.50,000

Hey Guys
I wish to assemble a desktop pc and my budget is approx 40-50k (50k is the max)

The main purpose for the PC is editing RAW images in Photoshop and occasional gaming. Video editing might be done in future.
Based of my (offline) discussion with friends I have short-listed the following config but am still confused whether this would be the right or the most optimal configuration and bang for my buck considering my current and future needs. Also I want something that would be scalable in future. As I am been using laptops for the last 5+ years I am totally out of touch with the latest configurations at present times so need help from fellow members

The config that I have shott-listed is as follows
  • Intel i5 or i7 processor
  • Intel Original M/b
  • 24" or higher Monitor (FULL HD) and if possible with HDMI & card input (no idea what and which Mrf/ Model to choose)
  • HDD 1TB x 2 (the reason I have chosen two is I would keep all the OS Games etc on one HDD and my data on the second one)
  • RAM 4GB x 2
  • Cabinet and PS (no idea as with '000 of options dont know what to choose) but generally I switch on my pc early in the morning and turn it off late in the evening or night. So want something that has decent to good cooling
  • Graphic Card (Again no idea)
  • Sound card (If possible with dolby 5.1 but not an immediate requirement)
  • I have not queried about DVD's, KB's mouse etc as they are mostly standard plus cheaply and easily replaceable.
  • Any other thing that I might have forgotten
Eagerly waiting for help and support in deciding
Cheers
Harjeev

Last edited by harjeev : 5th September 2011 at 10:17.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 13:14   #632
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 562
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

On the cabinet and Powersupply, go for a mid end cabinet, something like an Elite series from Cooler Master. Its VFM and also pretty decent for single GPU computers. Add extra fans as you see right. Basically it has a lot to do with the ambient temps in the room that you will be using it.

On the PSU, dont compromise. Look for either the Corsair Builder Series CX 400 or an Antec Basiq. Both should be in the 2.5-3k price range.

For the GPU I would suggest you take a look at the 560 Ti model from Nvidia. Though I normally prefer the ATI series, I think this is a good VFM GPU available today. Should be around 12k.
mav2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 17:10   #633
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 476
Thanked: 265 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

My Toshiba Laptop Satellite A 200 (3 years old) sounds like it has blown its main speaker. I can hear only tinny sound from the built in stereo speakers now. But sound is normal when I hook up a headphone. I opened up the Laptop and found that the miniature speaker is soldered to the main board.
What is the view from the Gurus ?
Should I look for an external miniature speaker box ?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 00:57   #634
BHPian
 
revvedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 251
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Hello fellow forumers

I have a computer that's causing me some pain, and I would greatly help your appreciate your help in fixing it. It currently boasts the following spec

AMD Athlon 500+
Gigabyte 780 G chipset motherboard with onboard graphics
2GB 800 Mhz DDR 2 RAM ruuning in single channel mode
250 GB SATA II hard disk ( Seagate ? )
A Jenetech 350 W power supply ( formerly a Gigabyte of 400
Add-on Cards

CreativeSoundBlaster Audigy Value
D-Link DWA 510G Wireless Card
The RAM and PSU were recently replaced as a part of my efforts to tackle the lack of any video display on bootup. Both replacements initially led to the system giving me some display, but then it all vanished.

In the case of the RAM, I got 6 hours worth of display after which the computer gave up. However with the power supply , I did not even get that. Previously, I have had the great pleasure of fixing all my computer's woes, but its predicament is clearly beyond my understanding.



Previous symptoms worth noting in order of occurrence
When new, it tended to shut down after intensive gaming.This was attributed to the heating of the Northbridge, a known issue with the Gigabyte motherboards.
Two years after purchase, it started showing some resistance to high definition video and full screen streaming video.
Lately, the display started going off or not coming on at all.
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 01:22   #635
BHPian
 
Bluengel180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 119
Thanked: 58 Times
Lightbulb re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Hello fellow forumers

I have a computer that's causing me some pain, and I would greatly help your appreciate your help in fixing it. It currently boasts the following spec

AMD Athlon 500+
Gigabyte 780 G chipset motherboard with onboard graphics
2GB 800 Mhz DDR 2 RAM ruuning in single channel mode
250 GB SATA II hard disk ( Seagate ? )
A Jenetech 350 W power supply ( formerly a Gigabyte of 400
Add-on Cards

CreativeSoundBlaster Audigy Value
D-Link DWA 510G Wireless Card
The RAM and PSU were recently replaced as a part of my efforts to tackle the lack of any video display on bootup. Both replacements initially led to the system giving me some display, but then it all vanished.

In the case of the RAM, I got 6 hours worth of display after which the computer gave up. However with the power supply , I did not even get that. Previously, I have had the great pleasure of fixing all my computer's woes, but its predicament is clearly beyond my understanding.



Previous symptoms worth noting in order of occurrence
When new, it tended to shut down after intensive gaming.This was attributed to the heating of the Northbridge, a known issue with the Gigabyte motherboards.
Two years after purchase, it started showing some resistance to high definition video and full screen streaming video.
Lately, the display started going off or not coming on at all.


Please install a Cpu temperature monitor software and check for high CPU/GPU temperatures around the the time the problem occurs.

Sounds like a defective Fan/power supply

Also consider getting a entry level Graphic card for you gaming/HD video needs.Also make sure you upgrade your power supply to comply with the rating of the card

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 7th September 2011 at 01:25.
Bluengel180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 11:57   #636
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 406
Thanked: 142 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Well,
My search started from the laptop thread.
I have posted it here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2493213 (The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions)

So, My end budget would be like - 60K looking at a Laptop (which will replace my current laptop Dell 1420 - 3 yrs old)

Now, mediocre-graphic-performance-on-the-laptop is something that is making me look at the desktop option in the range.

But, here is one more thing:
I have to retain my current laptop (and buy new battery for it- as the current one is "at the end of its usable life" -

So, final budget for a Computer system - 55K (tops +2K)

But, now will I get a PC which will handle games better than the laptop config - and have like more than 50% performance than the laptop in consideration?

Laptop config in the budget:
Quote:
XPS 15
i5 (2430M) - refreshed lineup
6GB RAM,
2 GB GT 540M Nvidia Gfx Card
1920X1080 FHD 15.6" Display (It has truelife! yay! - whatever that means!)
Also, please consider:
If I am looking at a desktop-
I am counting 22+ inch FHD screen in the config already.

Please suggest if thats possible?
If yes, please point me to some good config

Thank for reading!

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 7th September 2011 at 12:00.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 12:16   #637
BHPian
 
prateekm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai & BLR
Posts: 755
Thanked: 307 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

So, final budget for a Computer system - 55K (tops +2K)

But, now will I get a PC which will handle games better than the laptop config - and have like more than 50% performance than the laptop in consideration?

Also, please consider:
If I am looking at a desktop-
I am counting 22+ inch FHD screen in the config already.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (Rs.9900) or you could take a X4 BE and then unlock the 2 cores and save some money.
Motherboard: MSI 890GXM (Rs.6800)
RAM: Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333mhz (Rs.1800)
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM (Rs.2750)
GPU: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II/OC 2GB GDDR5 (Rs.15200)
Monitor: Benq E2220HD (Rs.8500)
Cabinet: NZXT Guardian 921 (Rs.4000) or COOLER MASTER Elite 341 (if you want something cheaper - Rs.2000)
PSU: CORSAIR GS600 (Rs.4000)
Keyboard: Logitech Basic Keyboard (Rs.300)
Mouse: Depends on the games you play. SS Kinzu/MX518/Razer Abyssus (Rs.1100-1300) if you play FPS.
DVD Drive: Samsung/LG (Rs.900)
Speakers: Altec Lansing VS2621 (Rs.1550)

Total comes to about 56,500. Enjoy gaming


-------


EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
P.S. If you could give some benchmarks wrt performance- with game-bench-scores - really appreciate that.
I generally follow TomsHardware reviews, so check their benchmark for the processor here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-amd,2810.html

Here's one for the GPU: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=754&Itemid=72

Last edited by prateekm : 7th September 2011 at 12:46.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 12:20   #638
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 406
Thanked: 142 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Open for AMD or want to stick with Intel only? Will edit this reply with the config after your update with your decision
Open for anything that performs - and is reliable (no favorites/dislikes. VFM - with reliable product is good for me.)
Please edit

Ace.
P.S. If you could give some benchmarks wrt performance- with game-bench-scores - really appreciate that.

Last edited by driverace : 7th September 2011 at 12:24.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 13:40   #639
BHPian
 
revvedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 251
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Please install a Cpu temperature monitor software and check for high CPU/GPU temperatures around the the time the problem occurs.

Sounds like a defective Fan/power supply

Also consider getting a entry level Graphic card for you gaming/HD video needs.Also make sure you upgrade your power supply to comply with the rating of the card
The motherboard in question hast DX10 entry level graphics on board. Even after having replaced the power supply , the problem persists.

The motherboard has a history of an overheating northbridge, but it never prevented it from starting it altogether. Oh and why do I need a a temperature monitor, if I have an onboard BIOS utility that tells me about that ?
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 16:39   #640
BHPian
 
Bluengel180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 119
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup

The motherboard in question hast DX10 entry level graphics on board. Even after having replaced the power supply , the problem persists.

The motherboard has a history of an overheating northbridge, but it never prevented it from starting it altogether. Oh and why do I need a a temperature monitor, if I have an onboard BIOS utility that tells me about that ?
Onboard video uses the CPU to process graphics.HD video and gaming maxes out the CPU and increases the overalls temperature.
the symptoms you described are coming from a psu which has either zonked off or not the the correct rating for your system. Hence the random shutdowns /not being able to start up.

Try using a higher voltage psu from a friends system if the problems remain.and also check if all your fans are working. The onboard BIOS indicator just shuts down the system in case it overheats
Bluengel180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 01:07   #641
BHPian
 
revvedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 251
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Onboard video uses the CPU to process graphics.HD video and gaming maxes out the CPU and increases the overalls temperature.
the symptoms you described are coming from a psu which has either zonked off or not the the correct rating for your system. Hence the random shutdowns /not being able to start up.

Try using a higher voltage psu from a friends system if the problems remain.and also check if all your fans are working. The onboard BIOS indicator just shuts down the system in case it overheats
My existing power supply is a 400 W one, and I have been using it for the last two years with no problems whatsoever. I replaced it with a different power supply, but that seemed to let me down too.

All fans are working, what do you think might be the reason for my grief ?
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 10:45   #642
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 562
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

It could be dead on arrival. Have it changed under rma. BTW, which power supple is it?
mav2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 18:49   #643
BHPian
 
revvedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 251
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

The power supply had a workuing fan, and allowed the computer to boot up, sans any display.

The symptoms and signs shown by the computer with the new power supply were very similiar to the ones exhibited with the old power supply.

What do you think might explain this ?
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 18:41   #644
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 406
Thanked: 142 Times
Cool re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (Rs.9900) or you could take a X4 BE and then unlock the 2 cores and save some money.
Motherboard: MSI 890GXM (Rs.6800)

i5 2500K + Intel DH67BL-B3 = 16K
i5 2400 + Intel DH67VR-B3 = 14K
^ these both pitched against above AMD combo of 16.5K approx**

RAM: Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333mhz (Rs.1800)
HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM (Rs.2750)

GPU: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III/OC 2GB GDDR5 (Rs.15200)
^^ This is the perfect Card - based on what I have read till now!
Thanks again!

Monitor: Benq E2220HD (Rs.8500)
^ I wish to push this to BenQ E2420HD (14K)

Cabinet: NZXT Guardian 921 (Rs.4000) or COOLER MASTER Elite 341 (if you want something cheaper - Rs.2000)
^Or Nzxt Gamma 2.1K

PSU: CORSAIR GS600 (Rs.4000)
^Any better thing possible in that budget? I understand the importance of PSU now (better than before!)

Keyboard: Logitech Basic Keyboard (Rs.300)
Mouse: Depends on the games you play. SS Kinzu/MX518/Razer Abyssus (Rs.1100-1300) if you play FPS.

DVD Drive: Samsung/LG (Rs.900)
Speakers: Altec Lansing VS2621 (Rs.1550)

^I could push these two things for later even! (If budget really crunches cause of the 24 HD)

Total comes to about 56,500. Enjoy gaming

Total still is approx 58K + 2.5K upgrade in next month (Speakers+DVD drive )

..
Would it be worth to go for the 22 to 24" HD display?
difference being almost 6K !

**Which of the Proc + Mobo combo wont bottleneck with the TF III 6950 2 GB card? (and be a perfect non-overkill companion for the current crop of games?)

Anything else to consider at this point?

Thanks,

Ace.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 19:06   #645
BHPian
 
prateekm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai & BLR
Posts: 755
Thanked: 307 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Would it be worth to go for the 22 to 24" HD display?
difference being almost 6K !

**Which of the Proc + Mobo combo wont bottleneck with the TF III 6950 2 GB card? (and be a perfect non-overkill companion for the current crop of games?)

Anything else to consider at this point?

Thanks,

Ace.
Well, it depends on a number of factors. I already have a 32" Bravia in my room, so incase I want to watch a movie on a larger screen, I just connect the CPU to the LCD TV. But if you don't have any such options, then better go for a 24" HD as a monitor. Also, 24" means a much higher resolution, so it will utilize some extra memory on your GPU.

Regarding the PSU, the VX series in Corsair is the best and most expensive. Now, when I took my PSU, there was a 'VX' series (I got VX450 for 3800) but I can't see the VX series anywhere now, guess it's been replaced by HX. I couldn't find anything better (600W) in that price range though.

P.S: 2420HD for 14k? It's 11.3k out here

Last edited by prateekm : 9th September 2011 at 19:08.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me config a new system for Music sequencing and Mixing bheem Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 20th October 2008 13:35
ICE config for Palio amitverma In-Car Entertainment 6 10th May 2006 12:42
Audio Config For My Bro's New Swift.... freakrz In-Car Entertainment 36 10th March 2006 22:25
Needed: Best Audio config for a tata Indica msk_kapoor In-Car Entertainment 52 24th February 2006 09:44
Proposed Audio Config.. allajunaki In-Car Entertainment 38 31st August 2005 23:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks