Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 9th September 2011, 19:17   #646
BHPian

Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Well, it depends on a number of factors. I already have a 32" Bravia in my room, so incase I want to watch a movie on a larger screen, I just connect the CPU to the LCD TV. But if you don't have any such options, then better go for a 24" HD as a monitor. Also, 24" means a much higher resolution, so it will utilize some extra memory on your GPU.

Great!
I do not have any other display! 24 " would be good to have then, I guess

Regarding the PSU, the VX series in Corsair is the best and most expensive. Now, when I took my PSU, there was a 'VX' series (I got VX450 for 3800) but I can't see the VX series anywhere now, guess it's been replaced by HX. I couldn't find anything better (600W) in that price range though.
Thanks for that.. the next better thing comes at around 5.5K, thats bit high :(
P.S: 2420HD for 14k? It's 11.3k out here
Oh, you have the E2420HD at 11.3K? (street price, with BnW?)
I need to check again, my source of info is just online.

And, anything on the Proc+Mobo combo?

Thanks,

Ace.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 00:15   #647
BHPian

Can somebody here help me with the computer problem posted earlier on this thread ? I can assure you that I have checked the power supply, and am fairly positive about it's functioning.
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 14:13   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Can somebody here help me with the computer problem posted earlier on this thread ? I can assure you that I have checked the power supply, and am fairly positive about it's functioning.
It could be your motherboard. Do the standard drill of eliminating all other possibilities like this ( as you have already swapped the SMPS(power supply):

1. Remove the Hard disk (Rarely a faulty Hard drive induces so much of noise on the 5 V/12 V rails that might trigger a shut down) and try.

2. Remove the RAM.

3. Remove any card sitting in PCI
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 22:04   #649
BHPian

I have done everyting except the hard disk. My intution tells me that it might be the northbridge overheating, because the computer gave a steady display and did video playaback for almost six hours before running out of memory yesterday ( lots of flash websites ) and collapsing into its former state again.

This is clearly turning out to be quite a tricky one !
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 10:49   #650
BHPian

I am in the confused state of buying a gaming console (PS3) cause of the prices of it's games. So if i were to setup a desktop just the computer case part can i use it with my 2 month old LED tv for gaming so i don't have to buy a new screen? & can i configure a decent gaming tower around 20k?
AvinashV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 14:20   #651
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, I need some help to get a configuration for a PC.
The PC will used for normal office work and should run programs like Tally, MS Office, etc. and should be able to perform multitasking without hanging up.

Here is what has been suggested by a vendor:
Processor: Intel- i7 3770K 3.5GHz
MotherBoard: Intel DZ77SL-50K
RAM: 4GB DDR3
HDD: 1TB

Now, I am planing to occasionally use it for high end graphics programs too. Would like to run programs like Photoshop, 3D Max, a bit of Solidworks too on it.
Mostly would like to use Photoshop to create graphics at a high resolution.

I am almost a newbie in PC configuration and hence need your help. Could you suggest me a setup that would be able to meet the above demands.

Budget is set to Rs.50K (monitor, keyboard, mouse is available)

Here is what I have selected based on some research over the net:
Processor: Intel i7 3770K 3.5 GHz (anything better?)
Mother Board: Intel DZ77SL-50K (Intel has DZ77RE-75K for extreme work, but is costly)
Hard-Disk: 2 X 500 GB rather than one single 1 TB. Would also buy one external for data storage.
RAM: What should be the min for this setup? I read that atleast 16GB is required for achieving max performance (4X4GB)
Graphics card : I am confused here, there are two types available. A gaming one and a workstation one. Price difference is huge, so need some help here. Would a gaming card be good enough for using Photoshop for heavy work? Any suggestion for particular one?
Powersupply: Min 600W, if going in for graphics card.
DVD Drive: DVD reader + writer.

Am I missing anything else?

Want the setup to be stable, high performing and reliable. Would be using it for a long time, hence trying to get the best within the budget, if possible would like it to be upgradable for future use too.
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 20:09   #652
Senior - BHPian

I would only make some suggestions that would perhaps be better for a high-end CPU like 3770K
1. Get a non-Intel board such as ASUS, Gigabyte. Check them out and buy based on what features you want.
2. 4GB is inadequate and I would suggest a 2 stick set of 2*4GB=8GB to start with. The 3770K/Z77 is dual channel RAM and you should get 2 sticks to get dual channel. f you think you need 16GB, go for 2*8GB rather than 4*4GB initially. You can later add2 more for full population of 4 RAM slots in this chipset. RAM speed=1600 Mhz is the least and is supported natively. However, you should seriously look at 1866Mhz at least. If you buy a set of 2 sticks in one packet, you can enable XMP and go to 1866Mhz with full stability. 1866MHz hardly has a major premium over 1600Mhz. Brands: G-Skill, Corsair, Kingston
3. Hard Disks: Suggest a 120GB SSD and a 1-2TB hard disk. If your budget rules out SSD, then go for a bigger capacity HDD (at least 1TB). HDD performance usually increases with capacity and if you can spend, get a 2TB WD Caviar Black at least.
4. PSU: 600W should be adequate but get something more for future proofing. Perhaps 700w-800w. Hardly much of a price difference.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:22   #653
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Thank you vasudeva for the help.

Your suggestions will help me a lot.
Any idea about the graphic cards? Workstation vs Gaming graphics cards for use with Photoshop and 3D MAX? have seen a few debates over the internet but still confused.
Old 23rd July 2012, 10:24   #654
Senior - BHPian

What you should consider is that you are buying a first rate CPU but hobbling it with other components. I am not too much of an expert on GPU and what is your need. Check out on various forums.

I strongly suggest going for 2 sticks initially as opposed to populating all 4 sticks. With that in mind, go for the max GB that you can afford. Latency is overrated, just go with the highest frequency and highest GB. 1866MHz seems the best to me.

Choosing the Best DDR3 SDRAM for Ivy Bridge - X-bit labs

Also, a SSD is perhaps the most sensible purchase you will make. Do not buy a 60GB (they are not so great) but go for the next level (120-128GB). Intel has recently cut their SSD prices and you may get a 120-128GB SSD for 7-8K now (Intel 330/520, Crucial m4, Samsung 830). If you get a SSD, you may skip on performance hard disks (Caviar Black) unless you want better performance. SSD will take care of most performance issues across the system.

Last edited by vasudeva : 23rd July 2012 at 10:29.
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:42   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Now, I am planing to occasionally use it for high end graphics programs too. Would like to run programs like Photoshop, 3D Max, a bit of Solidworks too on it.
Mostly would like to use Photoshop to create graphics at a high resolution.

Budget is set to Rs.50K (monitor, keyboard, mouse is available)
Graphics card : I am confused here, there are two types available. A gaming one and a workstation one. Price difference is huge, so need some help here. Would a gaming card be good enough for using Photoshop for heavy work? Any suggestion for particular one?
For your usage, Grafics card is not a required. You can start without a Grapfics card and easily add one later. Reason is, all Photoshop processing as well as Tally/MS office would be done in CPU.

For this usage, GPU that is built into i7 should be good enough.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:11   #656
Senior - BHPian

Yes, i7-3770K has integrated graphics (Intel HD 4000) which is generallt considered comparable to an entry/low medium separate graphics card by NVIDIA/ATI. Perhaps you can avoid that cost for now.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:58   #657
Senior - BHPian

Tom's Hardware has recently reviewed budget Z77 motherboards:
Seven Sub-$160 Z77 Express Motherboards, Reviewed : Seven Affordable Z77 Express-Based Motherboards Get Dissected

If you want the most, I would recommend ASUS P8Z77-DELUXE or Sabertooth Z77
Old 24th July 2012, 09:47   #658
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
For your usage, Grafics card is not a required. You can start without a Grapfics card and easily add one later. Reason is, all Photoshop processing as well as Tally/MS office would be done in CPU.

For this usage, GPU that is built into i7 should be good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Yes, i7-3770K has integrated graphics (Intel HD 4000) which is generallt considered comparable to an entry/low medium separate graphics card by NVIDIA/ATI. Perhaps you can avoid that cost for now.
Thanks. So may be I can right now save some and utilize it on better components like vasudeva has suggested.
And incase if I feel that I would need more performance, I can add the graphics card later on too right? (as these say they have integrated graphics)

Thanks guys for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Tom's Hardware has recently reviewed budget Z77 motherboards:
Seven Sub-$160 Z77 Express Motherboards, Reviewed : Seven Affordable Z77 Express-Based Motherboards Get Dissected

If you want the most, I would recommend ASUS P8Z77-DELUXE or Sabertooth Z77
Thank you very much for providing this link.
I think will look into this option
Old 24th July 2012, 11:11   #659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
incase if I feel that I would need more performance, I can add the graphics card later on too right? (as these say they have integrated graphics)
Yes, you can add a Graphics card later.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 21:32   #660
BHPian

Quote:
And incase if I feel that I would need more performance, I can add the graphics card later on too right? (as these say they have integrated graphics)
You can definitely add a graphics card later on if and only if you have a separate PCI express slot available on the motherboard. So make sure to buy a motherboard with a separate PCI express slot available. Latest ones are PCI express x16 slots.
sarthakgupta is offline   Reply With Quote