Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 28th July 2012, 14:20   #661
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Help with Computer Config

Hi, here is the list of the components that I have come up with after doing some research and help from you guys:
  • Processor: Intel i7 3770K 25,000/-
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X UD5H WB 20,000/-
  • RAM: 8GB Dual Channel (2X4GB- 1600MHz) G.Skill or Corsair 4,000/-
  • Hard-disk: Seagate Baracuda 1TB @7200rpm 6000/-

Prices are estimated ones after having a look on the net. Need to contact vendors or might just visit lamington road to get better deals.

I still need to get an DVD writer, cabinet and the operating system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
You can definitely add a graphics card later on if and only if you have a separate PCI express slot available on the motherboard. So make sure to buy a motherboard with a separate PCI express slot available. Latest ones are PCI express x16 slots.
Thanks for the info. I checked the Gigabyte website and it does say that Z77X UD5H-WB has a PCI slot.

vasudeva and NetFreakBombay, thanks for the help. Do let me know if the above system is good enough. I have definetly gone over budget but this setup will run for quite some years to come I hope

Do I have to look in aftermarket cooling option? i7 comes with its own cooler. Also most cabinets come with a fan. Would that setup be enough for keeping the computer cool?

Also, I have seen iBall cabinets come with a powersupply rated at 250W, would that be sufficient to power the above system? Or should I go in for a cabinet which is cheap and use that money to get a PSU?

Am I missing any other component to complete the system.
Thanks for your help.
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 14:40   #662
BHPian

Please do not use that generic PSU that comes with el cheapo cabinets. PSU is also as important a part as the other ones. Good clean and stable power is a must. I see that you are going for a fairly high end configuration. Please look for a >600 watt psu from coolermaster etc. preferably 80+ bronze (or more) certified. It's best to buy a cabinet without a PSU if you are not buying cabinets from good companies like coolermaster or antec etc.
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 21:02   #663
BHPian

@SRK sir

I feel considering your requirements the config is a bit of overkill. Core i5 will do (even i3 is enough). If possible upgrade RAM to 16 GB. Speed is ok - 1600 MHz i.e. fastest RAM. Also if possible try to go for a SSD drive. Go for a small size 32 or 64 GB and keep your OS and work related software and data files on this drive. Connect a separate 512 or 1 TB regular HDD for other needs.

250 W is more than sufficient. Our servers that function as nodes of supercomputers that we run in our labs are working fine on 460 W power supply.
sarthakgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 14:27   #664
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
Please do not use that generic PSU that comes with el cheapo cabinets. PSU is also as important a part as the other ones. Good clean and stable power is a must. I see that you are going for a fairly high end configuration. Please look for a >600 watt psu from coolermaster etc. preferably 80+ bronze (or more) certified. It's best to buy a cabinet without a PSU if you are not buying cabinets from good companies like coolermaster or antec etc.
Yes, I too ha a doubt about the PSU supplied with cabinets, thanks for clarifying it.
I am thinking currently to go in with Corsair 450W PSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
@SRK sir

I feel considering your requirements the config is a bit of overkill. Core i5 will do (even i3 is enough). If possible upgrade RAM to 16 GB. Speed is ok - 1600 MHz i.e. fastest RAM. Also if possible try to go for a SSD drive. Go for a small size 32 or 64 GB and keep your OS and work related software and data files on this drive. Connect a separate 512 or 1 TB regular HDD for other needs.

250 W is more than sufficient. Our servers that function as nodes of supercomputers that we run in our labs are working fine on 460 W power supply.

Hi, I did some research and selected i7 due to the hyperthreading capability.
Photoshop uses it for enhanced performance.
Had it been a gaming rig, i5 would have done the job.
Also, this system will be used for a long term and hence want to have a base unit that can be later on upgraded as needed.

So I have chosen the i7 processor and gigabyte motherboard keeping that in mind. All other components could be added later if needed.

SSD is currently out of budget, may be in future. But I don't think anything less than 60GB is good enough, vasudeva has also suggested to move upwards of 60GB. The reason I got after searching on the internet was that most of the space would be filled by the OS and the heavy application , hence a bigger size works well

Thanks!
Old 30th July 2012, 10:18   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Hi, here is the list of the components that I have come up with after doing some research and help from you guys:

[*]Hard-disk: Seagate Baracuda 1TB @7200rpm 6000/-[/list]
Instead get a Seagate Barracuda 2TB for around 6.5K (check for 7200rpm and not the old stock 5900rpm LP series). This is faster than 1TB. Even better, get the Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm which is for Rs. 9K. Must me be the fastest (except for Velociraptor) hard disk. With your motherboard and with win 7 x64, you can get your PC to boot from 3TB hard disks. Trust me, you will not regret a higher cap. hard disk.It is very important to realise that higher capacity hard disks are faster and in Seagate's case, 3TB is a huge step up in performance from 2TB and 1TB. If you have already bought your 1TB, get a 3TB soon.

The problem with 60GB (around 56 GB in practice) is not their capacity (I only need 40-45GB), but their usually asynchronous performance. Read about this on the net.

As to cooler, if you do not OC, the stock cooler can work. An aftermarket good cooler will set you back by 2-6K. Just monitor your cpu temps through hwmonitor, coretemp, or realtemp.

Of course, you can do with 500W PSU, but with this config, you will definitely need to add GPUs and hard disks, and so I would suggest 600-700W so as to avoid costs later. The incremental cost now is less than junking a 400-500W PSU later. Plus, get a good PSU or be prepared for random crashes and BSODs. (Good brands would be Coolermaster, Corsair, Seasonic).

I do not know where you got the prices, but you have overestimated around 2-3K on CPU and 1-2K on mobo.

Last edited by vasudeva : 30th July 2012 at 10:28.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 09:52   #666
SRK
Senior - BHPian

vasudeva, those prices were approx of the average I got from the internet.

Visited some stores yesterday.

i7-3770K comes for around 21000/-
And Gigabyte GA Z77X UD5H is not available in the market (one guy even said this is not available in India), so would be going in for an alternative now (Asus P8Z77 V Pro is available for arrprx 16K with them, V Deluxe goes for around 22K). Vendor suggested DZ77-SL-50K which would be for around 7K.
Still confused with the motherboard part, almost everyone has similar features with some huge price differences. (will compare some more options)

As for the PSU, I'll go with the Corsair CX430 at this moment would be around 2.3K.
Adding Graphic cards and other upgrades won't be too soon.

I re config a few parts now. Will include the SSD with OS and applications on it and HDD will be used to store the data. And will let you know what the final setup is.

By the way, flipkart is a good place to buy if you shop online their prices are good enough and some almost equivalent to the market rates.
Old 31st July 2012, 10:10   #667
Senior - BHPian

I really wanted Gigabyte for my next system from around 2009, but from perhaps Sandy Bridge (late-2010), ASUS seems to have taken the lead and now perhaps give the most features. Their motherboards now seem to be the editors choice at most reputed reviewers.

I have recently invested in a ASUS X79 motherboard. I would recommend an ASUS motherboard. However, please go through the features. Some features that could be important and may/may only be included in more expensive motherboards (such as ASUS Z77 deluxe) could be:

1. Two LAN ports (instead of standard 1)
2. WiFi/Bluetooth
3. eSATA ports (2 and 1 instead of 1/0).
4. more graphics card options

eSATA is required if you want to use a hard disk as an external storage device. It beats USB 3.0 in transfer speeds, and is as convenient as a powered external hard disk (which is nothing but a internal hard disk in a shiny enclosure)

Just like cell phones (where you pay for a useless 8MP camera to get AMOLED), in motherboards to get some features, you have to pay for some you may not need now but may need. Plus, more expensive motherboards are claimed to be more overclockable (stable).

Check prices on flipkart and you can be sure when you visit a vendor, the prices will be 5-10% lower. Flipkart is great for many buys and I have bought a 3TB hard disk for 9.8K from flipkart. When I wanted another one a few days later, it was 9.1K in Nehru Place while flipkart was showing 9.8K.

Finally, you are underinvesting in a PSU. Go for at least 500W. Better would be at least 80Plus Bronze certification. I cannot understand why you want on a A+ CPU and then ruin it by going for lower specs of other components. Get a 500W-600W PSU 80Plus Bronze and be done with it for 3-4 years.

Last edited by vasudeva : 31st July 2012 at 10:16.
Old 1st August 2012, 07:52   #668
BHPian

I have built my own computers for several years now. My philosophy has been to always go for the a configuration that's one step lower than the current best. Believe me it will be more than adequate for your needs. A core i5 is at a sweet spot in terms of price vs. performance. Use that money in buying a better PSU, extra ram, a higher spec mobo, bigger/faster HDD etc. As a rule my PCs last about 5 years or more and I reuse my cabinets and sometimes the PSUs too.

Also why dont you look up a PSU wattage calculator on the net? There are several such tools, if I remember correctly all major PSU manufacturers have one. You need the overhead in a PSU.
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 15:20   #669
SRK
Senior - BHPian

So this is the Final setup that will be delivered to me.

Processor: Intel i7 3770K = 21,000/-
Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 = 10080/-
HDD: WD Caviar Green 2TB = 6600/-
SSD: Corsair Force Series3 60GB = 4450/- (for OS and a few apps,at the day of buying I had to skip this due to high cost,though initially I wanted to go for the 120 but the cost was double, finally managed to go for a 60 GB)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2X4GB) = 3600/-
PSU: Corsair CX430 = 2600/-
DVD: Asus DVD-RW = 1100/-
Total= 49430/-

I know this may not be the best system out there but the aim was to put up a decent one within the set budget (50K), which could be utilized in future with some upgrades if required. Still OS and few other things like cabinet, keyboard mouse will be added.
This was my first build and I would like to thank you guys for the support and help, I got to learn quite a lot.
Also visted many sites to read reviews and customer feedback and chose the above components.

In simple terms I would explain this build process (for us car crazy guys) like choosing between Tata Vista, Suzuki Swift and a Fiat Punto (all powered by the same engine)
I aimed for the Punto, tried getting the Swift but ended up with the Vista due to the budget.
Old 4th August 2012, 21:09   #670
Senior - BHPian

Avoid the Force3. Spend a bit more and get an OCZ vertex4 or a Crucial M4 or a Samsung 830 from onlyssd.com.

Force3 is nothing but trouble because of the sandforce controller!
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 09:13   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Avoid the Force3. Spend a bit more and get an OCZ vertex4 or a Crucial M4 or a Samsung 830 from onlyssd.com.

Force3 is nothing but trouble because of the sandforce controller!
Is onlyssd.com reliable because they seem to have many choices. Edit: backed by primeabgb which on various forums seems good.
As to Force3 and Corsair, I tend to agree. For this price, get a crucial m4 128 for 8.9K. Only 4.5K more but a substantial step up in quality and performance. For even lower cost, get Intel SSD 520 60GB which is quoting for 6.9K.
Samsung 830 is even better but from what I have heard, their RMA in India is not good.

SF bugs: generally true, but I have had a Intel 520 for more than a month and it has been reliable so far.

Last edited by vasudeva : 5th August 2012 at 09:17.
Old 5th August 2012, 09:41   #672
Senior - BHPian

Intel engineers its own firmware. So they are more reliable than the rest. Still I'd stay away from SF-2281 based SSDs simply based on the number of complaints.
Old 5th August 2012, 09:49   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Intel engineers its own firmware. So they are more reliable than the rest. Still I'd stay away from SF-2281 based SSDs simply based on the number of complaints.
Thanks a lot. You are helpful and I have benefited a lot from your expertise over the years.

This could be off tangent, but why would you recommend OCZ. Or is it simply because they have improved or were always better but were not getting a fair press.

If someone asks me for a SSD recommendation in India, I would not go beyond Intel and Crucial. I am looking at a Crucial 512 GB for my laptop but waiting for prices to decline further from 25-30K right now to around 20K. I have been tracking SSD prices for quite a while now, and they are now trending at HDD price declines till Oct 2011. That is around 20-25% every half year and 35-40% per annum
Old 5th August 2012, 09:52   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Thanks a lot. You are helpful and I have benefited a lot from your expertise over the years.

This could be off tangent, but why would you recommend OCZ. Or is it simply because they have improved or were always better but were not getting a fair press.

If someone asks me for a SSD recommendation in India, I would not go beyond Intel and Crucial. I am looking at a Crucial 512 GB for my laptop but waiting for prices to decline further from 25-30K right now to around 20K. I have been tracking SSD prices for quite a while now, and they are now trending at HDD price declines till Oct 2011. That is around 20-25% every half year and 35-40% per annum
The vertex 4 is based on a marvell controller now - has no teething trouble, is blazing fast especially with FW 1.5, 5 years of warranty and on top of that its one of the cheapest drives you can buy.

I can't think of a reason to pick up anything else.
Old 6th August 2012, 13:24   #675
BHPian

Do any of you use HDD Bay power supplies for specifically powering graphics cards? Are they available in the market?
arsudarsan is offline   Reply With Quote