Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 6th August 2012, 16:31   #676
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Help with Computer Config

Any good site preferably Indian which reviews latest hardwares like motherboards etc?
bluevolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 18:28   #677
BHPian

Smile re: Help with Computer Config

Hello everyone, i am a newbie here so would need your help regarding the building of my PC. I am an final year architecture student so by now you know what kind of a PC should it be.

My main works would be to run autocad, sketchup, 3DS maxx , Vray, photoshop etc for drawing, design and rendering purposes. And last but not the least, i am a game fanatic , especially games like DIRT, Need for Speed series, Call of Duty etc etc.

Therefore i need a PC which would serve me well in all these criterias and also it should go on for atleast 3 years without any upgrade. My budget is set at Rs 40,000. This amount is just for the CPU.

I can wait for a maximum of 2 more months as i would be assembling my PC by November.

Please suggest what all components to go for.

Thanks

Aditya
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 23:59   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Therefore i need a PC which would serve me well in all these criterias and also it should go on for atleast 3 years without any upgrade. My budget is set at Rs 40,000. This amount is just for the CPU.
Hello aditya,

i will recommend this

Intel core i5 2500 or core i5 3550 ~ 12k
Gigabyte / Asus / MSI H 67 or H77 based motherboard ~8k
G Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz 2x 4gb RAM ~ 3.5k
Sapphire Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition ~ 9k
Seasonic S12II 520W PSU ~ 4.5k
Hitachi or Toshiba 500GB HDD ~ 4k

Should serve your purpose well.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 15:48   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Any good site preferably Indian which reviews latest hardwares like motherboards etc?
You can try erodov or techenclave
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 13:37   #680
BHPian

Hello everyone, my home pc a P4 2.4ghz built in 2004 died last night. Please suggest a basic configuration for home use. Will be mostly used for Internet browsing, downloading and watching hd movies, at times dot net or java programming by wifey. No gaming at all.
Budget is 25k, will be using the dvd rw,kbd, mouse and monitor from old setup.
Inclined towards AMD APUs to fit in the budget.
icemanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 13:28   #681
BHPian

Guys please suggest good configurations in the budget.
Old 20th August 2012, 20:27   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
Inclined towards AMD APUs to fit in the budget.
AMD A8 3870K / A83850 top end APU is beat by i3 2100 processor at day-to-day tasks. As you're not inclined towards integrated graphics (games etc), I suggest you get a modern-day equivalent of your old system i.e. an lga1155 board (preferably Intel) and 8GBs of DDR3 1333 and a 2TB HDD, will fit in your budget. And programming etc will also be faster on the Intel platform. The integrated Intel graphics are good enough for BLU RAY playback & even very basic gaming. Get a board which offers HDMI connectivity and atleast 7.1 surround sound.

AMD makes very good processors in the mid-high range, it is just that they are going through a rough patch as of now and are getting beaten by the intel iX series by a large margin.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 23:52   #683
BHPian

Thanks JustCause. Will check the i3 processors as well.
Looking at the mid range Phenom 2 X4's at the moment, there are so many of them to confuse the layman.
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:45   #684
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I purchased a 500gig hard drive maybe one year back for 2700 bucks. Has the prices gone up recently? In a catalogue, I saw that the same HD was priced at 3600 + tax. This is for the same Seagate Barracuda that I had purchased at 2700 with bill and warranty from an authorized dealer. I had expected prices to have come down and thought of buying another one for a different application. Is the price correct?
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:49   #685
BHPian

The prices of hdd went up last year when the floods in thailand or somewhere there happened , It never came down , now it is slowly creeping downwards , but the prices of those good times will take a while to return.
kippu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:28   #686
BHPian

And the warrnty is now 2 years from the earlier 3/5 years. Just sent in my 3 year old 1 TB drive that I purchased for 2.8k for RMA.

For day to day usage with no additiona GPU, the AMD Trinity line up is not bad at all. The on die GPU is far better than the one on Intels, but keep in mind that both are quite basic in nature.

I would suggest you look at both the platforms and then buy deciding on the price of Mobo+proccy for each of these.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:58   #687
BHPian

Guys, Gurus, Please help
I need help in building a home PC which will be used by me for some office use and by my son (6), for gaming, I intend to use my samsung 22' LCD TV as monitor. Apart from the CPU, Keybord & mouse I would like to have a decent webcam & mike for skype. I already have wifi at home therefore I also need this CPU to connect to that too (one question.. Do I need additional speakers for music and chat or the system recognises the TV speakers.. sorry but pardon my stupidity)
My budget for building this cannot exceed 18k
cheers!

Last edited by schitre05 : 23rd August 2012 at 13:03.
schitre05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 12:05   #688
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Hello everyone, i am a newbie here so would need your help regarding the building of my PC. I am an final year architecture student so by now you know what kind of a PC should it be.

My main works would be to run autocad, sketchup, 3DS maxx , Vray, photoshop etc for drawing, design and rendering purposes. And last but not the least, i am a game fanatic , especially games like DIRT, Need for Speed series, Call of Duty etc etc.

I can wait for a maximum of 2 more months as i would be assembling my PC by November.

Please suggest what all components to go for.

Thanks

Aditya
Hi Aditya, guptavis has already given you a good config.
But if you are planning for some heavy rendering and Photoshop, do have a look at the i7 processors. They have the capability of hypertreading, which helps photoshop run better and efficiently. I have had a chance to use one (i7-3770K) without any Graphics card and it does the job well.

Also, I would suggest you inquire more on the graphics cards. As there are two types one that is for workstation, which are expensive and other is the gaming ones, just check which your software supports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Guys, Gurus, Please help
I need help in building a home PC which will be used by me for some office use and by my son (6), for gaming, I intend to use my samsung 22' LCD TV as monitor. Apart from the CPU, Keybord & mouse I would like to have a decent webcam & mike for skype. I already have wifi at home therefore I also need this CPU to connect to that too (one question.. Do I need additional speakers for music and chat or the system recognises the TV speakers.. sorry but pardon my stupidity)
My budget for building this cannot exceed 18k
cheers!
Hi,

Is this 18K for the whole setup? or do you have any other components with you except the screen?

I think it would be possible to give an output to your LCD's speaker and run them off. You can get a nice Headset with inbuilt mike for your Skype use and a Webcam from Logitech would serve you good.

As for the Wifi, you will have to purchase a USB add-on which will help you connect with your existing network.

What type of games would you run on this machine?
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 12:17   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post

Hi,

Is this 18K for the whole setup? or do you have any other components with you except the screen?

18k for the CPU, keyboard, mouse, webcam & headset. I just have the LCD TV rest all things need to be purchased.

I think it would be possible to give an output to your LCD's speaker and run them off. You can get a nice Headset with inbuilt mike for your Skype use and a Webcam from Logitech would serve you good.
Thanks.
As for the Wifi, you will have to purchase a USB add-on which will help you connect with your existing network.Thanks.

What type of games would you run on this machine?popular car and bike racing games and some strategic games to begin with at least.
I have entered my answers in bold. Thanks for replying.
schitre05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 23:34   #690
BHPian

Smile re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Hello aditya,

i will recommend this

Intel core i5 2500 or core i5 3550 ~ 12k
Gigabyte / Asus / MSI H 67 or H77 based motherboard ~8k
G Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz 2x 4gb RAM ~ 3.5k
Sapphire Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition ~ 9k
Seasonic S12II 520W PSU ~ 4.5k
Hitachi or Toshiba 500GB HDD ~ 4k

Should serve your purpose well.
Thanks , well yu didnt include the cabinet, but anyway the config looks fine to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Hi Aditya, guptavis has already given you a good config.
But if you are planning for some heavy rendering and Photoshop, do have a look at the i7 processors. They have the capability of hypertreading, which helps photoshop run better and efficiently. I have had a chance to use one (i7-3770K) without any Graphics card and it does the job well.

Also, I would suggest you inquire more on the graphics cards. As there are two types one that is for workstation, which are expensive and other is the gaming ones, just check which your software supports.

Thanks mate. Well i am in a situation now.

The thing is i am an architecture student ( final year ) and i was a happy HP laptop user ( DV4- 1131tx ) but it dies a couple of months back. SO now i am thinking should i go for a desktop or a laptop !!

I really want to go for a desktop but then there will be an issue of mobility and as this is my last semester, i will be working on my research thesis.

I am completely confused. A laptop would never perform like a desktop but if i get a desktop, i cant go to different places and work i.e my design studio.

Is there a laptop which can solvbe my problem and will come under 70k ?

Regards

Aditya
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote