Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2012, 11:43   #691
SRK
Senior - BHPian
 
SRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,161
Thanked: 352 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post

Thanks mate. Well i am in a situation now.

The thing is i am an architecture student ( final year ) and i was a happy HP laptop user ( DV4- 1131tx ) but it dies a couple of months back. SO now i am thinking should i go for a desktop or a laptop !!

I really want to go for a desktop but then there will be an issue of mobility and as this is my last semester, i will be working on my research thesis.

I am completely confused. A laptop would never perform like a desktop but if i get a desktop, i cant go to different places and work i.e my design studio.

Is there a laptop which can solvbe my problem and will come under 70k ?

Regards

Aditya
When it comes to performance a Desktop wins over the laptop due to the ability to have a better configuration within the same price.

I have an old Dell Studio 1555 (almost 3yrs old now) and it does run softwares like AutoCad, Solidworks and Catia, Photoshop, etc.
Can do almost the most basic task with ease but when it comes to high end stuff, a good workstation is what you'll want to invest in.

Within 70K you could get a good laptop with the latest hardware that I am sure will run these programs easily. What you need to decide now is what your future work style will be. Since you mention that you are an architect, your workplace will definitely have the required machine.
There are workstation style laptops too but way out of the budget.

I would suggest go in for Laptop that has the 3rd gen Intel processors (i5 or i7) with a dedicated Graphics card of atleast 1GB and minimum 6GB of RAM. Later save some money and then go in for the latest components and build your workstation
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 14:24   #692
BHPian
 
aditya.bhardwaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 209 Times
Smile re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
When it comes to performance a Desktop wins over the laptop due to the ability to have a better configuration within the same price.

I have an old Dell Studio 1555 (almost 3yrs old now) and it does run softwares like AutoCad, Solidworks and Catia, Photoshop, etc.
Can do almost the most basic task with ease but when it comes to high end stuff, a good workstation is what you'll want to invest in.

Within 70K you could get a good laptop with the latest hardware that I am sure will run these programs easily. What you need to decide now is what your future work style will be. Since you mention that you are an architect, your workplace will definitely have the required machine.
There are workstation style laptops too but way out of the budget.

I would suggest go in for Laptop that has the 3rd gen Intel processors (i5 or i7) with a dedicated Graphics card of atleast 1GB and minimum 6GB of RAM. Later save some money and then go in for the latest components and build your workstation
Yes i agree, a desktop is a desktop. By the way what do you think about this

Samsung Series 5 NP550P5C-S02IN 3rd Gen Ci7/8GB/1TB/2GB Graphics/Win 7 HP: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Samsung Notebook

Or else i can wait till november and then buy something

Regards

Aditya
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 13:42   #693
SRK
Senior - BHPian
 
SRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,161
Thanked: 352 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
I have entered my answers in bold. Thanks for replying.
Hi,
I am writing down a configuration, which I think the experts here can help you further and decide on. For gaming you might have to go with a graphics card though.

*Note: All prices are approximate and are taken off from the internet, you will defiantly get a lower rate if you go in the market than buying online.

Processor: Intel i3 2120 (2nd gen) = 7315/-
Motherborad: ASUS P8H61-M LX =3015/-
RAM: G-skill Ripjaws 4GB- 1333 MHz = 1625/-
HDD: WD Caviar Green WD10EARX = 5150/-
DVD: Asus DRW 24B5T= 1200/-
Cabinet: iball i9090 = 1755/-
PSU: The iball cabinet is said to come with a 250W PSU and with your usage will serve you well, so skipping this one. You can upgrade one at a later stage.
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech K200 series combo = 800/- (You have a vast choice here, get the ones that you find good and fit within the budget)

Total = 20860/-

Add to that O.S: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit = 6775/-
And the cost goes to 27635/-

This system would run for quite a long time based on your usage.
But if still you would want to keep the budget tight, then down grading to this config, would have to be done:
Processor: Intel G620 = 3600/-
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 250 GB = 3364/-
This will lower the budget to 22134/-

One more option to save some money right now would be to use the older OS if you have the Installation CD and later upgrade as you feel the need to. But it is recommended that you go in for the Windows 7.

Other addons:
Wifi: Netgear 150N wireless adapter = 790/-
Webcam/Headphones: Again you have a wide choice here.

Do consult our experts here and then visit Lamington road to get your purchases. Make a list and keep a day free to first roam all the shops get the prices and then select from where to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Yes i agree, a desktop is a desktop. By the way what do you think about this

Samsung Series 5 NP550P5C-S02IN 3rd Gen Ci7/8GB/1TB/2GB Graphics/Win 7 HP: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Samsung Notebook

Or else i can wait till november and then buy something

Regards

Aditya
System looks good enough. Do you think an i5 based processor will carry out your work? That would save you some money then. Incase you are not going for heavy 3D rendering and photoshop work, then an i5 would work well I suppose.
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 14:07   #694
BHPian
 
aditya.bhardwaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 209 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Hi,
I am writing down a configuration, which I think the experts here can help you further and decide on.
=========
Incase you are not going for heavy 3D rendering and photoshop work, then an i5 would work well I suppose.
Thanks a lot for your help. Well my budget is around 50k just for the CPU now so i think i can go in for a much better configuration. I will soon post the configuration i was thinking about. I am not inclined towards buying a laptop but it still will the last option.

Regards

Aditya
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 00:05   #695
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 275
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
that is one of the best you can get at its price bracket. The nvidia 650M will make the graphics software work like a breeze and let you use cuda and other nvidia plugins.

did you finally get a desktop or laptop?
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 10:42   #696
BHPian
 
aditya.bhardwaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 209 Times
Smile re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
that is one of the best you can get at its price bracket. The nvidia 650M will make the graphics software work like a breeze and let you use cuda and other nvidia plugins.

did you finally get a desktop or laptop?
I finally have decided to go in for a desktop. The configuration would be as follows :-

1. Cabinet - NZXT Lexa-S : Rs 3950
2. PSU - cooler master 700W : around Rs 3000
3. RAM - Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600 Mhz : Rs 3200
4. HDD - WD 2 TB : Rs 6000
5. Processor - AMD FX 8150 bulldozer 3.6 Ghz : Rs 12,000
6. Motherboard - yet to be finalised ! Will need your help here !
7. Graphic card - need help. Not yet finalised !
8. Sound card - help !

I am not going in for liquid cooling at the moment as I won't be overclocking for the time being and the stock AMD cooler is powerful enough. Later I might get the corsair H60.

Now am I missing anything ? I would surely need help in finalising things here as I would be starting the build in 1st week of November for sure. I hope this configuration would be good enough for 3d rendering, photoshop, autocad and also gaming

Thanks
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 21:59   #697
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 244
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

I can see high end choices there. You may want look at nvidia quadro fx cards.
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 11:20   #698
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 562
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I finally have decided to go in for a desktop. The configuration would be as follows :-

1. Cabinet - NZXT Lexa-S : Rs 3950
2. PSU - cooler master 700W : around Rs 3000
3. RAM - Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600 Mhz : Rs 3200
4. HDD - WD 2 TB : Rs 6000
5. Processor - AMD FX 8150 bulldozer 3.6 Ghz : Rs 12,000
6. Motherboard - yet to be finalised ! Will need your help here !
7. Graphic card - need help. Not yet finalised !
8. Sound card - help !

I am not going in for liquid cooling at the moment as I won't be overclocking for the time being and the stock AMD cooler is powerful enough. Later I might get the corsair H60.

Now am I missing anything ? I would surely need help in finalising things here as I would be starting the build in 1st week of November for sure. I hope this configuration would be good enough for 3d rendering, photoshop, autocad and also gaming

Thanks
I hope this helps:

1. NZXT Lexa, as long as you like the design, its fine. Keep in mind that the 8150 is a power hog and runs very hot, so a well ventilated and dust filtered cabinet is a must.
2. Again, the 8150 is a power hog. You will not need 700W for this setup, but you will need a very good quality 500-600W taking into account the GPU as well. Please look for a better quality PSU. The units I can think of are as follows:

a. Antec 5ooW Earthwatts
b. Cooler Master Real Power series , 500-600W
c. Corsair HX series, same wattage

3. Ram seems fine
4. HDD is fine, will suggest you add an SSD for overall system speed boost. A 64 GB for windows and other constantly used applications will be great. This is the single biggest performance booster in the whole system.
5. Proccy is fine, IF you plan to use an application that can use all those cores. Otherwise its a major let down in single threaded apps. If your work is more on single threaded/Dual/Quad threaded apps, then a Core i5 would work much much better. You can get a lower powered 3550S in the same budget.
6.Motherboard - If you give a better idea of the mobo budget, then can give some recomendations.
7. GPU, again, budget please.
8. SOund card - Budget?
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 11:52   #699
BHPian
 
aditya.bhardwaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 209 Times
Smile re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
I can see high end choices there. You may want look at nvidia quadro fx cards.
Haha , i am sure, for computer experts this is a very basic system . Can you please provide some model names for the graphic cards. My max budget is 10k.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I hope this helps:

1. NZXT Lexa, as long as you like the design, its fine. Keep in mind that the 8150 is a power hog and runs very hot, so a well ventilated and dust filtered cabinet is a must.
2. Again, the 8150 is a power hog. You will not need 700W for this setup, but you will need a very good quality 500-600W taking into account the GPU as well. Please look for a better quality PSU. The units I can think of are as follows:

a. Antec 5ooW Earthwatts
b. Cooler Master Real Power series , 500-600W
c. Corsair HX series, same wattage

3. Ram seems fine
4. HDD is fine, will suggest you add an SSD for overall system speed boost. A 64 GB for windows and other constantly used applications will be great. This is the single biggest performance booster in the whole system.
5. Proccy is fine, IF you plan to use an application that can use all those cores. Otherwise its a major let down in single threaded apps. If your work is more on single threaded/Dual/Quad threaded apps, then a Core i5 would work much much better. You can get a lower powered 3550S in the same budget.
6.Motherboard - If you give a better idea of the mobo budget, then can give some recomendations.
7. GPU, again, budget please.
8. SOund card - Budget?
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I was planning to go for an SSD but dont have the budget right now for it. Maybe i will buy it later on. On the other hand, i have laptop 250 GB HDD with me which i will use to install the OS and other stuff. The 2TB HDD will be only used for movies/data/games etc.

Regarding cooling, should i go for the corsair H60 or cooler master TCP 812. Cant spend more than 5k for it.

For the motherboard, i can spend a max of 10k. Lesser price would be better. And i wont be overclocking it too much.

I am going in for a 700W PSU just for the sake of not blowing up the system if i tend to overclock it.

For the GPU, same budget, not more than 10k. Main applications i will run would be Photoshop, autocad, 3d rendering softwares like sketchup, V-ray etc. Can you suffest a good GPU under my budget. And yes, i would be gaming too.

Lastly , regarding the price of a sound card , i have no idea. Would 2k be enough ?

Thanks
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 13:22   #700
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 562
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Haha , i am sure, for computer experts this is a very basic system . Can you please provide some model names for the graphic cards. My max budget is 10k.

Thanks



Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I was planning to go for an SSD but dont have the budget right now for it. Maybe i will buy it later on. On the other hand, i have laptop 250 GB HDD with me which i will use to install the OS and other stuff. The 2TB HDD will be only used for movies/data/games etc.

Regarding cooling, should i go for the corsair H60 or cooler master TCP 812. Cant spend more than 5k for it.

For the motherboard, i can spend a max of 10k. Lesser price would be better. And i wont be overclocking it too much.

I am going in for a 700W PSU just for the sake of not blowing up the system if i tend to overclock it.

For the GPU, same budget, not more than 10k. Main applications i will run would be Photoshop, autocad, 3d rendering softwares like sketchup, V-ray etc. Can you suffest a good GPU under my budget. And yes, i would be gaming too.

Lastly , regarding the price of a sound card , i have no idea. Would 2k be enough ?

Thanks
Well, your laptop 250gb will actually be slower than your 2 TB HDD. So I would not suggest that option. You can get a decent SSD for around 5-6k today, for a 120GB version. I would suggest you go for it.

For cooling, the TCP 812 is far better than the Corsair unit and there are no chances of the unit failing or leaking.

On the motherboard, you can go for an Asus M5A series, preferably 990FX. There are a few motherboards in this range, from around 8.5k to 11.5-12k.

For the PSU, the quality of the PSU is more important than the wattage. A 600W unit as mentioned in my previous pos should be good enough. If you want a higher wattage unit, go for it as you dont lose anything. But go for a qulity unit. A quality 700W will not be less than 7k.

Finally for the GPU, you can look at the 560Ti, though it may be a little above your budget. But anything lower than that will not make sense for this kind of setup. The 560Ti is a capable card, but I would say raise your budget to around 15k and look for the 7870 AMD.

For a sound card, unless you are really going to buy speakers worth more than 5k, its not going to make any difference. You can look at the basic sound card in this case. An Asus DG for around 1.4k would be enough.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 13:52   #701
BHPian
 
aditya.bhardwaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 209 Times
Smile re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Well, your laptop 250gb will actually be slower than your 2 TB HDD. So I would not suggest that option. You can get a decent SSD for around 5-6k today, for a 120GB version. I would suggest you go for it.

For cooling, the TCP 812 is far better than the Corsair unit and there are no chances of the unit failing or leaking.

On the motherboard, you can go for an Asus M5A series, preferably 990FX. There are a few motherboards in this range, from around 8.5k to 11.5-12k.

For the PSU, the quality of the PSU is more important than the wattage. A 600W unit as mentioned in my previous pos should be good enough. If you want a higher wattage unit, go for it as you dont lose anything. But go for a qulity unit. A quality 700W will not be less than 7k.

Finally for the GPU, you can look at the 560Ti, though it may be a little above your budget. But anything lower than that will not make sense for this kind of setup. The 560Ti is a capable card, but I would say raise your budget to around 15k and look for the 7870 AMD.

For a sound card, unless you are really going to buy speakers worth more than 5k, its not going to make any difference. You can look at the basic sound card in this case. An Asus DG for around 1.4k would be enough.
I agree on your above points regarding the SSD.Will see if i am left with any money then i will surely go for a 120 GB SSD.

Now regarding the GPU, any idea how much the 560Ti will cost ?

Lastly, i am inclined towards this motherboard - GIGABYTE 990XA UD3 . What do you think ?

And i want this system to perform for the next 5 years. I hope it wont be a problem !
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 22:43   #702
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 562
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I agree on your above points regarding the SSD.Will see if i am left with any money then i will surely go for a 120 GB SSD.

Now regarding the GPU, any idea how much the 560Ti will cost ?

Lastly, i am inclined towards this motherboard - GIGABYTE 990XA UD3 . What do you think ?

And i want this system to perform for the next 5 years. I hope it wont be a problem !
The 560Ti should cost around 14-15k. But thats the lowest I would go with this config.

The motherboard is fine. Basically its a 990x chipset vs. a full blown 990fx chipset, though there is not too much different between the two. The board is quite decent, but I prefer Asus, simply because the quality and bios is normally better at a particular price point.

As far as the system lasting you 5 years, well then I would strongly suggest you go for an Intel IB system as they are head and shoulders aboce the best AMD can pull together right now. Your processor and mobo cost will not be any different as well.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 23:16   #703
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,179
Thanked: 1,109 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Yep buying faildozer is completely pointless. I used to recommend AMD cpus blindly once but no more. Their current gen CPUs are just pathetic. You are better off with ivy bridge as mav mentioned.

Avoid 560Ti. It is an antique. I'd suggest a Radeon 7870 for the same money.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 23:26   #704
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 275
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post

1. Cabinet - NZXT Lexa-S : Rs 3950
2. PSU - cooler master 700W : around Rs 3000
3. RAM - Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600 Mhz : Rs 3200
4. HDD - WD 2 TB : Rs 6000
5. Processor - AMD FX 8150 bulldozer 3.6 Ghz : Rs 12,000
6. Motherboard - yet to be finalised ! Will need your help here !
7. Graphic card - need help. Not yet finalised !
8. Sound card - help !

I am not going in for liquid cooling at the moment as I won't be overclocking for the time being and the stock AMD cooler is powerful enough. Later I might get the corsair H60.

Now am I missing anything ? I would surely need help in finalising things here as I would be starting the build in 1st week of November for sure. I hope this configuration would be good enough for 3d rendering, photoshop, autocad and also gaming

Thanks
mav2000 has given valuable suggestions, seriously worth considering. just a few things from my side.
Get a good power supply like seasonic S12II 600W or a corsair 600W, will cost you around 5k or so. like mav2000 said going for a good quality lessew watt smps is better than bad quality higher watt cheap one. ram and hdd is okay (can add ssd later if you want). if hdd is WD green than you can use laptop hdd as boot drive if it is WD blue then use WD blue as boot drive. proc + mobo look good.
dont know much about cabinet, water cooling or sound card.
for GPU at~ 10k you can buy HD 7770 or HD 6850.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 10:44   #705
BHPian
 
aditya.bhardwaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 209 Times
Smile re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
The 560Ti should cost around 14-15k. But thats the lowest I would go with this config.

The motherboard is fine. Basically its a 990x chipset vs. a full blown 990fx chipset, though there is not too much different between the two. The board is quite decent, but I prefer Asus, simply because the quality and bios is normally better at a particular price point.

As far as the system lasting you 5 years, well then I would strongly suggest you go for an Intel IB system as they are head and shoulders aboce the best AMD can pull together right now. Your processor and mobo cost will not be any different as well.
15k would be too much for me to spend. Do i have other options ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Yep buying faildozer is completely pointless. I used to recommend AMD cpus blindly once but no more. Their current gen CPUs are just pathetic. You are better off with ivy bridge as mav mentioned.

Avoid 560Ti. It is an antique. I'd suggest a Radeon 7870 for the same money.
Why do you think the bulldozer is a fail ? I agree it is not as good as i7's but i doubt if i can get any better processor for 11k. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
mav2000 has given valuable suggestions, seriously worth considering. just a few things from my side.
Get a good power supply like seasonic S12II 600W or a corsair 600W, will cost you around 5k or so. like mav2000 said going for a good quality lessew watt smps is better than bad quality higher watt cheap one. ram and hdd is okay (can add ssd later if you want). if hdd is WD green than you can use laptop hdd as boot drive if it is WD blue then use WD blue as boot drive. proc + mobo look good.
dont know much about cabinet, water cooling or sound card.
for GPU at~ 10k you can buy HD 7770 or HD 6850.
Thank you. Well i was pointing at the power supply from cooler master itself. It was costing me around 3k for the 700W version. Are their different models. I have no idea when it comes to these things

Lastly i will check what kind of an HDD is in my laptop and let you know.

Thanks
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me config a new system for Music sequencing and Mixing bheem Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 20th October 2008 13:35
ICE config for Palio amitverma In-Car Entertainment 6 10th May 2006 12:42
Audio Config For My Bro's New Swift.... freakrz In-Car Entertainment 36 10th March 2006 22:25
Needed: Best Audio config for a tata Indica msk_kapoor In-Car Entertainment 52 24th February 2006 09:44
Proposed Audio Config.. allajunaki In-Car Entertainment 38 31st August 2005 23:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks