Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 17th October 2012, 10:54   #706
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Why do you think the bulldozer is a fail ? I agree it is not as good as i7's but i doubt if i can get any better processor for 11k. Thanks
Simply because its too slow, guzzles too much power and is also too hot. In single threaded apps, it can't even match an i3, let alone an i5 or i7. An i5 2500k will be around that price and will run circles around the FX8150. If you want to play games, the bulldozers are as slow as a pentium cpu.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 11:57   #707
BHPian

Smile re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Simply because its too slow, guzzles too much power and is also too hot. In single threaded apps, it can't even match an i3, let alone an i5 or i7. An i5 2500k will be around that price and will run circles around the FX8150. If you want to play games, the bulldozers are as slow as a pentium cpu.
Now my friend, you have put me in a dilemma ! i thought the 8150 is the best AMD can provide and now the intel comes into the picture. Do you think for my purpose ( 3d rendering, photoshop etc ), intel will do the job better than the AMD ?
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 12:40   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In single threaded apps, it can't even match an i3, let alone an i5 or i7.
Single threaded performance is one of the parameters. It depends on the application. For instance, in 7-Zip test, FX-8150 can beat i7. An i7 might complete a single thread app fast and then idle. FX-8150 will complete that task a few nano seconds later. This delay won't affect OS performance to an extent where an user will notice. So it boils down to price - a slightly lesser performance or a slightly higher price.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 13:15   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now my friend, you have put me in a dilemma ! i thought the 8150 is the best AMD can provide and now the intel comes into the picture. Do you think for my purpose ( 3d rendering, photoshop etc ), intel will do the job better than the AMD ?
In the current scenario, I'd pick nothing but intel. Please note that I have nothing against AMD. I use an AMD 7970 GPU in my machine. However for the cpu, right now AMD has absolutely nothing that is competitive even with mid range intel, let alone the high end ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Single threaded performance is one of the parameters. It depends on the application. For instance, in 7-Zip test, FX-8150 can beat i7. An i7 might complete a single thread app fast and then idle. FX-8150 will complete that task a few nano seconds later. This delay won't affect OS performance to an extent where an user will notice. So it boils down to price - a slightly lesser performance or a slightly higher price.
7-zip is threaded. The IPC of the bull dozer cpu is worse than the previous gen phenoms. So at the same clocks, the phenoms will be faster. Now you must note that the sandybridge/ivybridge chips have an even higher IPC rate (signifcantly higher) than phenoms and the fact that they run at almost the same clocks as the bulldozer. Considering that, the bulldozer chips are an epic fail from the design standpoint.

AMD advertises the bulldozer as 8 core. However in reality, it is actually assymetrical - it has 8 integer cores and 4 floating point cores. Most end user apps we use are floating point intensive. The only place where you'll see significant integer workloads is in server based applications and that is essentially what the bulldozer is - it is a server processor being pushed down the consumer's throat.
Old 17th October 2012, 14:43   #710
BHPian

Quote:
If you want to play games, the bulldozers are as slow as a pentium cpu.
Really? what a rational statement.

Quote:
8150 will do great and especially since you will be running heavily treaded apps for graphics rendering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Very nicely put

for the smps, yes each company has various models some of which might be good and others bad, 700W for 3k sounds like a cooler master extreme power pro, which is not considered good quality. there are some cooler master models which are good, so find the exact model and check the reviews.
for hdd check the WD desktop drive. if it is blue then use that for OS, if the desktop one is a WD green then use either one.
this is because laptop drives are generally 2.5" 5400rpm which are generally slower than desktop 3.5" 7200rpm drives. but the WD green is also a 5200rpm (variable speed) drive so will not be much better than laptop one.

Last edited by guptavis : 17th October 2012 at 14:48.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 14:57   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post

8150 will do great and especially since you will be running heavily treaded apps for graphics rendering.
Here are the benches to backup what I just said. The FX series chips are the lousiest chips you can buy for gaming/3d rendering or anything else that is FP intensive.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/t...3770k-review/7
Old 17th October 2012, 15:02   #712
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions for a Graphics card which is future proof for 5 years?Max budget is 15K
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 15:12   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Here are the benches to backup what I just said. The FX series chips are the lousiest chips you can buy for gaming/3d rendering or anything else that is FP intensive.

actually, i first wrote ' Really? what a rational statement. i smell a bench maniac '

but edited to remove the last part because i knew you were gonna bring this up anyway. i do not intend to start a debate on this, aditya can buy whatever he wants.
i was just amused to see " If you want to play games, the bulldozers are as slow as a pentium cpu. " :P
Old 17th October 2012, 15:16   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
actually, i first wrote ' Really? what a rational statement. i smell a bench maniac '

but edited to remove the last part because i knew you were gonna bring this up anyway. i do not intend to start a debate on this, aditya can buy whatever he wants.
i was just amused to see " If you want to play games, the bulldozers are as slow as a pentium cpu. " :P
I don't see whats amusing in that. Intel still makes pentium chips which are basically i3 chips at lower clocks with the quick sync encoder stripped.

http://ark.intel.com/products/46483/...Cache-2_93-GHz
Old 17th October 2012, 15:33   #715
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see whats amusing in that. Intel still makes pentium chips which are basically i3 chips at lower clocks with the quick sync encoder stripped.

http://ark.intel.com/products/46483/...Cache-2_93-GHz
noone said they dont, i have a pentium B960 in my new laptop.
Old 17th October 2012, 15:52   #716
BHPian

Smile re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:

Very nicely put

for the smps, yes each company has various models some of which might be good and others bad, 700W for 3k sounds like a cooler master extreme power pro, which is not considered good quality. there are some cooler master models which are good, so find the exact model and check the reviews.
for hdd check the WD desktop drive. if it is blue then use that for OS, if the desktop one is a WD green then use either one.
this is because laptop drives are generally 2.5" 5400rpm which are generally slower than desktop 3.5" 7200rpm drives. but the WD green is also a 5200rpm (variable speed) drive so will not be much better than laptop one.
Thank you. I will check and let you know about the hard drive. And regarding the Power supply, i will see the models and get back. Thanks for the heads up
Quote:

I agree with your points but remember, "i am not buying the AMD to play games all the time ". This system would work on autocad, sketchup , V-ray and other rendering softwares heavily with the usual work going on.
Yes i will be playing games but it will happen rarely. And if i really dont think i will get an intel processor for less than 13k. And as you have mentioned, the i7 3770K wont be less than 18-20k so that goes out of question.

Thanks
Quote:

Just for some information, i had a laptop few months ago which got bust and that is the reason i am getting a desktop as a laptop would never give me a performance similar to a desktop.

I had a HP DV4-1131tx. It had 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, a 512 MB dedicated graphic card with an intel core 2 duo 2.0G Ghz processor and frankly it used to perform flawlessly. I used to play games on full resolution with no lag at all.
And yes, it used to run autocad, sketchup and other softwares with no lag at all. The only problem i faced was when used to render heavy files on V-ray.

So now you guys know needs and what exactly do i want. I cannot spend more than 50k. My total budget is 60k. I have kept aside the 50k separate for the CPU itself.

So if possible, please tell me a confuration which would last for atlear 4-5 years.

Thanks again for tolerating with the questions i am putting up. I know its quite a task to select the best within the specified budget

Regards
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 15:59   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only problem i faced was when used to render heavy files on V-ray.
Check this: http://www.behardware.com/articles/8...es-on-am3.html

If case you are going for FX-8150, ensure you have this hot fix from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594
Old 17th October 2012, 17:13   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I will check and let you know about the hard drive. And regarding the Power supply, i will see the models and get back. Thanks for the heads up

I agree with your points but remember, "i am not buying the AMD to play games all the time ". This system would work on autocad, sketchup , V-ray and other rendering softwares heavily with the usual work going on.
Yes i will be playing games but it will happen rarely. And if i really dont think i will get an intel processor for less than 13k. And as you have mentioned, the i7 3770K wont be less than 18-20k so that goes out of question.

Thanks
If you go through the entire review, you'd see that even in things like cinebench which is a suite of rendering programs, the 8150 performs poorly. If you can't afford a 3770, just get the 3570 or even the 2500. Either of these will be faster than the FX 8150.

Also for V-ray, you are better off using an opencl based gpu render if you want fast rendering times.
Old 17th October 2012, 17:55   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you can't afford a 3770, just get the 3570 or even the 2500. Either of these will be faster than the FX 8150.
Comparing FX 8150 (priced at 11.5K) to 3770 (price 18.5K) or 3570 (14.5K) is unfair. Comparison with 2500, which is priced at 12.5K, (though 1K more than FX 8150) seems fair.
Old 17th October 2012, 23:09   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj
15k would be too much for me to spend. Do i have other options ?

Why do you think the bulldozer is a fail ? I agree it is not as good as i7's but i doubt if i can get any better processor for 11k. Thanks

Thank you. Well i was pointing at the power supply from cooler master itself. It was costing me around 3k for the 700W version. Are their different models. I have no idea when it comes to these things

Lastly i will check what kind of an HDD is in my laptop and let you know.

Thanks
(And Sagarpadaki)

Amarbir's Lynx site has some scheme on 560ti for ~12.5k, rcvd. a mail today..
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote