Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 18th October 2012, 00:20   #721
BHPian

Default re: Help with Computer Config

Ok , as there is a fair bit of a discussion is going on, i have a few options now which i want to tell you guys
1. AMD FX 8150
2. intel i5 2500k
3. Intel i5 3570k

These are the only three options i have i9n my budget. And yes, the i5 3570k will dig a big big hole in a pocket. So please tell me wisely , what should i do now ?
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 10:28   #722
BHPian

Let me add one mroe to the mix. The AMD A10 5800K. Its got the best inbuilt GPU and to be clear it will lose out to the Intel fleet as far as the CPU is concerned. But in this case, you can use the onchip GPU for a while before you upgrade to a seperate GPU. This chip works on the FM2 platform and you should get a decent board for around 10k. The chip itself should also cost around 10-12k max. But I think the India launch is stll a few days away. One more point, this chip really overclocks well and has a good memory controller to boot. You can easily run it at around 4.5 Ghz for everyday use. The cores are based on the new Piledriver architecture, thats about 10% faster than the Bulldozer architecture.

I think in your budget, you should look for an SSD and drop the GPU for a while. Maybe later you can add the GPU as per your finances.

If you insist on going with a seperate GPU, then for your needs a 2600k/non k would be the best bet. But its around 17-18k. This chip has 4C/8T, so its good for what you want.

The main issue with Bulldozer chips are the heavy power usage and a less than optimal design. Its not a bad chip, but its not too great either. If it were priced less than 10k it may have even been good from a price/performance point of view. And I have been an AMD user from 1997. This is the first time in 15 years that I went with Intel.
mav2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 10:35   #723
Senior - BHPian

Go to any reputed website (tom's, anandtech, xbit, or various OC sites) and most have stopped recommending AMD especially when it is competing with anything higher than a Intel i3.

In fact both toms hardware and anandtech have specifically posted sometime back that they simply cannot recommend AMD for anything beyond low-end.

A recent review:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ck,3106-4.html
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 20:31   #724
BHPian

okay, having used both AMD and intel chips, let me give you guys my own review on both.

AMD- pure VFM. period. If you are on a tight budget, want a powerful and decent PC, AMD is the answer. And people who think Bulldozer was a failure, well not really. Gaming wise yes, it didn't quite meet the expectations. But multi-tasking wise, its just superb. Those 8 cores don't just sit there doing nothing, when it comes to multi-tasking (heavy cpu usage) they work flawlessly. However, the 8 cores also gave bulldozer chips a hefty price which further increased the criticism when Intel offered something lot better in the same price range.
And looking at the phenom chips, they can still beat bulldozer and some latest intel chips. that's the reason i bought myself a x6 1090T some 2 months back. its the best AMD has currently.

Intel- No doubt they are slightly better than amd at overall performance, but the price difference shortens the gap greatly. plus after dozer, phenom got a price cut too, the gap mostly vanished. Intel is like a luxury, the one you will buy but never fully exploit it. like a performance car on indian roads. you have it, but its mostly useless. so why pay extra? just to show off? Not the indian style, we want more VFM, and intel just cannot give it in the mid-range chips.

talking bout the high range, yes, Intel's the boss here. I really expected a lot from AMD, but from a gamers point of view, bulldozer chips just don't matches my needs.

and lastly, Motherboards supporting AMD chips are slightly cheaper too.
Imran.Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 20:41   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Any suggestions for a Graphics card which is future proof for 5 years?Max budget is 15K
Nothing is future proof. Nothing and for your budget, you asking a bit too much of life. 5 years is unreal. go for a amd ati 78XX card. will keep you future proof for almost 2 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Ok , as there is a fair bit of a discussion is going on, i have a few options now which i want to tell you guys
1. AMD FX 8150
2. intel i5 2500k
3. Intel i5 3570k

These are the only three options i have i9n my budget. And yes, the i5 3570k will dig a big big hole in a pocket. So please tell me wisely , what should i do now ?
Well the price difference between i5 2500k and 3570 is not much. only around 1000 bucks on flipkart. So go for 3570k. Avoid AMD for a while, plus you should've mentioned your needs. if you are more a of multi-tasker and rare gamer, then 8150 would suffice, but if you are more of a gamer and multi-tasker both, the go for 3570. 2500k isn't bad either if the budget is really a problem.

buying a amd will also help you source a bit cheaper and future proof board. hope this helps. not sure bout the intel. I am a AMD guy.
Old 21st October 2012, 11:04   #726
BHPian

Just to add a point, Intel processors are good on performance but AMD are the real value for money.

I started using with first gen AMD Athlons and later to X2 and then to intel Ci3s. But all through these years, the AMDs were giving least amount of trouble especially w.r.t. reliability of Mother Boards. The new generation so called 'Genuine Intel' motherboards are absolute crap and sure to fail within an year.
shineshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 18:49   #727
BHPian

Smile re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran.Syed View Post
okay, having used both AMD and intel chips, let me give you guys my own review on both.

AMD- pure VFM. period. If you are on a tight budget, want a powerful and decent PC, AMD is the answer. And people who think Bulldozer was a failure, well not really. Gaming wise yes, it didn't quite meet the expectations. But multi-tasking wise, its just superb. Those 8 cores don't just sit there doing nothing, when it comes to multi-tasking (heavy cpu usage) they work flawlessly. However, the 8 cores also gave bulldozer chips a hefty price which further increased the criticism when Intel offered something lot better in the same price range.
And looking at the phenom chips, they can still beat bulldozer and some latest intel chips. that's the reason i bought myself a x6 1090T some 2 months back. its the best AMD has currently.

Intel- No doubt they are slightly better than amd at overall performance, but the price difference shortens the gap greatly. plus after dozer, phenom got a price cut too, the gap mostly vanished. Intel is like a luxury, the one you will buy but never fully exploit it. like a performance car on indian roads. you have it, but its mostly useless. so why pay extra? just to show off? Not the indian style, we want more VFM, and intel just cannot give it in the mid-range chips.

talking bout the high range, yes, Intel's the boss here. I really expected a lot from AMD, but from a gamers point of view, bulldozer chips just don't matches my needs.

and lastly, Motherboards supporting AMD chips are slightly cheaper too.
Quote:
Nothing is future proof. Nothing and for your budget, you asking a bit too much of life. 5 years is unreal. go for a amd ati 78XX card. will keep you future proof for almost 2 years.

Well the price difference between i5 2500k and 3570 is not much. only around 1000 bucks on flipkart. So go for 3570k. Avoid AMD for a while, plus you should've mentioned your needs. if you are more a of multi-tasker and rare gamer, then 8150 would suffice, but if you are more of a gamer and multi-tasker both, the go for 3570. 2500k isn't bad either if the budget is really a problem.

buying a amd will also help you source a bit cheaper and future proof board. hope this helps. not sure bout the intel. I am a AMD guy.
Thanks a lot. This is what i wanted to explain. My need is more of multitasking rather than gaming all the time. And yes. buying the AMD processor and the motherboard will save me some money too.

I guess i wll be going in for the FX 8150 and the ASrock 990FX extreme 4 mother board. Do you think its a good combination. And should i wait for the 8350 ?

Lastly can you please post your PC's config ?

I am turning into an AMD fanboy now
Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
Just to add a point, Intel processors are good on performance but AMD are the real value for money.

I started using with first gen AMD Athlons and later to X2 and then to intel Ci3s. But all through these years, the AMDs were giving least amount of trouble especially w.r.t. reliability of Mother Boards. The new generation so called 'Genuine Intel' motherboards are absolute crap and sure to fail within an year.
Yes, thats what i wanted to hear. If they are value for money and perform well then i will surely go with it .

Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 19:52   #728
BHPian

Quote:
I guess i wll be going in for the FX 8150 and the ASrock 990FX extreme 4 mother board. Do you think its a good combination. And should i wait for the 8350 ?
i think its a good choice going with AMD.
But just check that board's reviews on newegg etc. there was one such asrock that had some flaw dont remember if it was extreme4, extreme6 or something. just have a check, before you buy.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 21:27   #729
BHPian

According to me, to get a reliable PC, be it Intel based or AMD, the most important thing is not the processor but the POWER SUPPLY(SMPS) and UPS.

Invest for some good brands like Antec or Asus. If they are not affordable for you, go for a COOLERMASTER atleast. Dont settle for anything lesser like Mercury, Fronttech, UMAX, Iball, Priya, Supertech,..... (If you cant afford a Coolermaster, go for an iball, since its a little better among the worst).

Never settle for a unbranded UPS which will fry your SMPS and MB over time. APC, Powercom are famed brand and there are equally good branded UPSes available.

Quote:
Thanks a lot. This is what i wanted to explain. My need is more of multitasking rather than gaming all the time. And yes. buying the AMD processor and the motherboard will save me some money too.

Yes, thats what i wanted to hear. If they are value for money and perform well then i will surely go with it .

Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 00:36   #730
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
LOL! Welcome mate. I bought AMD for the first time for the rig I am going to write about, and it really impressed me.

Config:

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX Motherboard
AMD 3.2 GHz AM3 Phenom II 1090T Processor
500GB old SATA HDD
4Gigs Corsair Vengenance RAM
Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6870 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Cooler Master GX 650 Watts PSU
Cooler Master Elite 310 Cabinet (BLUE)
ASUS DVD-Rw Drive
and a 17" LCD monitor. :P

Its nothing fancy right now. I have already procured a budget for a 40" LED/LCD/Plasma TV, a new gpu (one more 6870 or 7XXX series), a logitech g27 wheel racing wheel, liquid cooling, another better cabinet, more powerful PSU and a 60GB SSD drive.

While assembling the PC, i was on short budget. But now I am waiting to shift to hyderabad to complete my rig.

Your other question: Should you wait for the new piledriver series chips.
Well, it totally depends on your multi-tasking. If you multi-task heavily, like video editing, then its worth waiting. I have been following the piledriver development ever since it got announced. and looking at the new benchmarks, it looks good. what kind of applications do you use mostly?

And about the 990FX board. Go for it, will keep you future proof for almost 2 years. But I am guessing a cheaper board will also suffice your needs. Let me tell you something, the board doesn't matter much, the processor does. Taking an example, the board is like Stephen Hawking's body, not important, and the processor is like the his brain. getting me?
Old 22nd October 2012, 01:48   #731
BHPian

Quote:
According to me, to get a reliable PC, be it Intel based or AMD, the most important thing is not the processor but the POWER SUPPLY(SMPS) and UPS.

Invest for some good brands like Antec or Asus. If they are not affordable for you, go for a COOLERMASTER atleast. Dont settle for anything lesser like Mercury, Fronttech, UMAX, Iball, Priya, Supertech,..... (If you cant afford a Coolermaster, go for an iball, since its a little better among the worst).

Never settle for a unbranded UPS which will fry your SMPS and MB over time. APC, Powercom are famed brand and there are equally good branded UPSes available.
Asus does not make PSU's. and if you want to buy a cooler master psu go for the real power or silent power range.
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:58   #732
BHPian

Smile re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
i think its a good choice going with AMD.
But just check that board's reviews on newegg etc. there was one such asrock that had some flaw dont remember if it was extreme4, extreme6 or something. just have a check, before you buy.
Thanks, surely i will. IF you have any other info on the Asrock motherboard then do let me know.
Quote:

Yes, i will be getting a PSU from seasonic or cooler master. Most probably it will be a seasonic 520W or a 600 W one. Lastly i will get a good UPS from beetle.

Thanks
Quote:
LOL! Welcome mate. I bought AMD for the first time for the rig I am going to write about, and it really impressed me.

Config:

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX Motherboard
AMD 3.2 GHz AM3 Phenom II 1090T Processor
500GB old SATA HDD
4Gigs Corsair Vengenance RAM
Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6870 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Cooler Master GX 650 Watts PSU
Cooler Master Elite 310 Cabinet (BLUE)
ASUS DVD-Rw Drive
and a 17" LCD monitor. :P

Its nothing fancy right now. I have already procured a budget for a 40" LED/LCD/Plasma TV, a new gpu (one more 6870 or 7XXX series), a logitech g27 wheel racing wheel, liquid cooling, another better cabinet, more powerful PSU and a 60GB SSD drive.

While assembling the PC, i was on short budget. But now I am waiting to shift to hyderabad to complete my rig.

Your other question: Should you wait for the new piledriver series chips.
Well, it totally depends on your multi-tasking. If you multi-task heavily, like video editing, then its worth waiting. I have been following the piledriver development ever since it got announced. and looking at the new benchmarks, it looks good. what kind of applications do you use mostly?

And about the 990FX board. Go for it, will keep you future proof for almost 2 years. But I am guessing a cheaper board will also suffice your needs. Let me tell you something, the board doesn't matter much, the processor does. Taking an example, the board is like Stephen Hawking's body, not important, and the processor is like the his brain. getting me?
Thanks man. Well i know i can go for a cheaper motherboard but as i wont be upgrading for a long time, i thought of investing in a good motherboard. By the way , how much did the Phenom cost you ?

Regards
Old 22nd October 2012, 13:56   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Asus does not make PSU's. and if you want to buy a cooler master psu go for the real power or silent power range.
Asus does make PSUs and I myself had one in my older RAID system but I am not sure if it does make it currently as I could not see that in their indian site.

But their portfolio does have SMPS. Please refer to

http://www.asus.com/Power_Supply/700750W/U75HA/
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:31   #734
BHPian

Ok let me put that another way. Asus does not sell PSU's in India and personally I have never seen an Asus PSU on sale or a review o one of them. They may be rebranding PSU's for thier own systems but that's about it.

Quick check on couple of sites and am still not able to find a single Asus psu for sale anywhere.
Old 22nd October 2012, 17:13   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man. Well i know i can go for a cheaper motherboard but as i wont be upgrading for a long time, i thought of investing in a good motherboard. By the way , how much did the Phenom cost you ?

Regards
I have a g41m intel supporting motherboard, running for the last
years.

The phenom costed me around 8k off flipkart. But now flipkart has hiked most of their prices. So I recommend not using flipkart.
Buy any AM3+ socket motherboard. Wont need upgrading.

Suggestion: Buy ASUS M5A97 MB, Bulldozer series Chip, and a 7750 card. A SSD drive, preferably 60Gigs, and there. You will have a entry level, gaming and mid level multi-tasking PC. Whats your total budget again?
SSD drive can range from 20-500GB, but I suggest you go for 20-60gigs only. Install the OS, your main multi-tasking apps in it, and they will work lightning fast.