Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 10th November 2012, 21:28   #766
BHPian

Default Re: Help with Computer Config

Whenever you leave your computer idle, resources are not being utilized upto its potential. WorldCommunityGrid lets you become part of a grid of connected devices and utilize the idle computing time to do research that ranges from medical research, energy etc.

The level of CPU usage for the grid can be adjusted based on your preferences. You can set it to be active when you lock your screen or idle for couple of mins etc. Team-BHP's group has few members doing number crunching for years and we are 12th in India in terms of contributions ! I think many of us have pretty high end rigs and all of us together can pack a lot of punch !

The current statistics of team-bhp can be found below. Thanks in advance to folks who will be joining in !

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/te...Id=J2W89TDW5T1
anand_lukose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 22:51   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385
I use a desktop with a Dual Core 2.8 processor, 945 motherboard and 3 GB DDR 2 RAM. After switching to Win 7, I find the vedio performance pretty slow. Will a draphics card such as Asus AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card or Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6450 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card help?
Are your system's drivers in order?

IMO your current config is pretty capable of playing videos upto 720p,or compressed videos in sizes of 2-4gb . You can have problem playing 1080p content though.

If you are facing problems playing simple dvdrips then you might have a software or hardware problem but it won't require a graphics card upgrade.

If you are facing problems playing HD content then graphics card is the way to go.

Please answer the following :

1.BTW which application are you using to play the videos?
2.What kind of videos are you playing or intend to play ? Dvdrips/hdrips/bluray/rips
3.What do you exactly mean by video performance slow? Does it take time to load or you get some boxes while playing or it freezes?
4.Do you face the same problem for every size of video?

Last edited by k2max6 : 10th November 2012 at 22:52.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 08:29   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Thanks a lot ! here's the price breakup

10. Liquid Cooling - Antec Kuhler 920 - Rs 5700

Thanks
Hey Aditya,

How is the system running for you ? I noticed that you went in for liquid cooling. Are you overclocking ? I just wanted to know how the Liquid cooling is performing. Were you able to find out CPU temps on full load ?

Thanks
Luke
anand_lukose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:13   #769
BHPian

Hello people! Im facing a big dilemma here. My hard disc had crashed and was replaced with "Seagate Barracuda 500 GB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (ST500DM002)" . This one crashed too after couple of weeks. Now the pc repair guy says that they will replace it with a another one but the label will contain something like "Seagate certified repaired" . Im frankly baffled to hear this, since it should be a new product and not contain any such labels. How reliable is this product anyway? Please help. Once you have bought a product you are stuck with it. :(
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:29   #770
BHPian

Smile Re: Help with Computer Config

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
Hey Aditya,

How is the system running for you ? I noticed that you went in for liquid cooling. Are you overclocking ? I just wanted to know how the Liquid cooling is performing. Were you able to find out CPU temps on full load ?

Thanks
Luke
Hi !

The system is super duper awesome. No lag at all. Yeah, i went for liquid cooling as i was planning to overclock but unfortunately didnt get time at all due to extensive work at the office. Although i will be free in a few days and i plan to do then .

Regards
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 00:56   #771
BHPian

@ blue, that is common practice with seagate, so don't worry about it. I have used a couple of such drives with no issues. More importantly try and figure out why the HDD's are dying. Which PSU are you using?
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:29   #772
BHPian

Guys need some urgent help here. I am leaving to Bhopal from Delhi on Friday night. I want to carry my PC with me. Mine is a mid tower and i will be carrying it in the manufactures box itself. Now the problem is that it is quite big. Will i face any issues carrying the same on the train. I dont think it will exceed the 20kgs limit but it is worth around 70k and i really dont want issues regarding the same.

Will i need any receipt for carrying it with me ? Please help

Regards
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:47   #773
BHPian

So long as it goes under the seat, it shouldn't be an issue. TC's get upset if the passenger luggage is causing convenience to others. Carry the receipt with you, always. IAC, I doubt your mid-tower will touch 20kg.
KnightRider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:28   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
@ blue, that is common practice with seagate, so don't worry about it. I have used a couple of such drives with no issues. More importantly try and figure out why the HDD's are dying. Which PSU are you using?
I Ball.

I sort of know why the HDDs are dying. The zotac video card was a part of the problem and there was a problem with the power cable.
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:00   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider77 View Post
So long as it goes under the seat, it shouldn't be an issue. TC's get upset if the passenger luggage is causing convenience to others. Carry the receipt with you, always. IAC, I doubt your mid-tower will touch 20kg.
Thanks.

Lastly, is it a tedious task to get the object weighed. Do we need to bribe or something ?I really dont want to get into this hassle !
Old 3rd December 2012, 21:44   #776
BHPian

I've weighed suitcases on the bathroom scale before boarding flights, to check the weight. Works well!

I don't think you need to bribe anybody. Relax! Worst case, you may have to pay some extra to the TC for extra luggage.
KnightRider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 11:53   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
I Ball.

I sort of know why the HDDs are dying. The zotac video card was a part of the problem and there was a problem with the power cable.
Keep in mind that those Iball PSU's are usually of very poor quality and that could be the main reason for your HDD's dying. Try and change that for a better unit and I am 99% sure your issues will go away.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:00   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Keep in mind that those Iball PSU's are usually of very poor quality and that could be the main reason for your HDD's dying. Try and change that for a better unit and I am 99% sure your issues will go away.
Thats not the main reason though. The video card 9600GT had issues with not recognising the monitor, frequently. It would boot but there would be no display on the monitor. I had to blindly restart the system using the keyboard or switch off the power.

Secondly after installing the new HDD, there were issues with flash player on the Mozilla firefox. The system would hang while playing youutube, got a couple of bluescreens.

Anyways it multi problems.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:18   #779
BHPian

All these are symptoms of a failing power supply as well.
Old 6th December 2012, 14:26   #780
BHPian

Folks need your help in configuring a PC to be used purely as NAS box

This PC would remain on nearly 12-15 hours a day, specifically serving as torrent downloader and a media server for networked users. I used to use 7 year machine to do the job till now. However it went kaput last weekend.

My requirements are

a) Mother board / CPU
b) Power Supply
c) RAM
d) HDD

The cabinet will be placed in a secluded corner about 6" from the wall.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote