Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 10th December 2007, 19:53   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Proposed config

Any tweaks you guys suggest?

PENTIUM IV 3.0 GHZ WITH (BOX) // INTEL // 3,505
945 MOTHERBOARD (BOX) // INTEL // 3,605
1 GB DDR2 RAM (667 FSB) // TRANSCEND // 1,475
160 GB SATA HARD DISK DRIVE // Western Digital // 2,448
104 KEYS KEYBOARD & OPTICAL SCROLL MOUSE // LOGITECH // 668
ATX PIV CABINET WITH SMPS (B) // MERCURY// 1,280
20 X DVD WRITER (B) // Samsung // 1,505

TOTAL : 14,486.00

I also have an additional 160gb HDD currently + monitor and some AGP. Im interested in getting a better Cabinet maybe one of those see through ones that I can mod with some LED's
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 19:56   #107
Senior - BHPian

OMG Pentium IV 3GHz.... your vendor is seriously ripping you off. Those are antiques now. With that kinda budget you better get a core 2 duo.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 19:59   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Any tweaks you guys suggest?

PENTIUM IV 3.0 GHZ WITH (BOX) // INTEL // 3,505
945 MOTHERBOARD (BOX) // INTEL // 3,605
1 GB DDR2 RAM (667 FSB) // TRANSCEND // 1,475
160 GB SATA HARD DISK DRIVE // Western Digital // 2,448
104 KEYS KEYBOARD & OPTICAL SCROLL MOUSE // LOGITECH // 668
ATX PIV CABINET WITH SMPS (B) // MERCURY// 1,280
20 X DVD WRITER (B) // Samsung // 1,505

TOTAL : 14,486.00

I also have an additional 160gb HDD currently + monitor and some AGP. Im interested in getting a better Cabinet maybe one of those see through ones that I can mod with some LED's
looks like your dealer is offloading some old stock. its better to get a core2duo dual core cpu and take advantage of the newer architecture. For eg a Intel E2160 costs 3.3k

for cabinet check out zebronics (google for their website). they have a few cabinets with leds and temp monitors for about 1.4k.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 20:01   #109
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the processor, I would also add another 1 GB of Ram.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 20:02   #110
Senior - BHPian

yup a pair of sticks running in dual channel config would help as well
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 10:08   #111
Senior - BHPian

My bad I posted the wrong config, that was an older one for an office PC hence the P3.

Will revert with my quote.

I think the current AGP I have is a Gforce 5700 which will be retained. Dont want to spend too much more than the budget indicated earlier.

Last edited by s0uljah : 11th December 2007 at 10:17.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:27   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
yup a pair of sticks running in dual channel config would help as well
Dual channel benefits?
Proven negligible. Tomshardware. Anyone OCd with single and dual with same capacity?
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 11:52   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Dual channel benefits?
Proven negligible. Tomshardware. Anyone OCd with single and dual with same capacity?
Ok so what do you suggest in order for me to save money but at the same time get optimal use of my the hardware.
Old 12th December 2007, 14:07   #114

Question

I want to build myself a new desktop. However, unlike in Bombay, I don't know any good store where I can go pick up the hardware. Does anyone know someone on S P Rd or wherever, where I can go and buy it?? So far, the only place I know who also had a branch in Bombay was RPTech, which was located somewhere between HOSMAT and Prestige Meridian on M G Rd.

I am still working on the config, but I think a Intel Pentium Dual Core processor with at least 2 GB RAM is a minimum config I'm looking at. An ASUS motherboard is again something I would like to have.

Also, my old Viewsonic 15" CRT blew a few months ago due to a power surge. I don't know if its serviceable, but I don't mind having it checked. I had it repaired once at the HCL service center in 2005 at some place in BSK I think. I'm told that HCL doesn't service Viewsonic anymore.

Does anyone know where I can have it serviced? I stay in Indiranagar and work opp. Jal Bhavan on Bannerghatta Road. So, a center in that area would be good. If it can be fixed, I am willing to consider having it exchanged for a new monitor.
anadkarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 17:19   #115
Senior - BHPian

You can buy online from here
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 17:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Ok so what do you suggest in order for me to save money but at the same time get optimal use of my the hardware.
Its all based on reads to be honest. But its still the truth. I can guide you to the link if you want.

Instead of buying 2x512, get a 1GB stick. So that you can add more memory later on. 1 GB should suffice for XP, and as u know Vista needs more. Dont forget to add another 1 GB withing the next 6 months. There is never too much when it comes to memory.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 18:33   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadkarni View Post
Does anyone know someone on S P Rd or wherever, where I can go and buy it??
Howdy!!

Call Surabhi Computech @ 22998357, this is SP.Road non-tax bill type affair. A friend recommended them. Prices are considerably cheaper.

Otherwise best option with a clean VAT bill would be Computer Warehouse, Barton Center, MG.Road. (Same building as 13th Floor). The best part is they have an online pricelist! Computer Warehouse Online - Buy Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, Laptops and Electronics
Phone : 25091050 / 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Its all based on reads to be honest. But its still the truth. I can guide you to the link if you want.
Sure thing !! Both of you can help me with the config.

Im currently using an old 17" Samsung Monitor. Will continue with this for a while and replace it couple of months down the line.

There's about 1-1.2k difference between the 1.8 vs 2.2 Core 2 Duo processor. How much of a difference would that premium make considering I dont really do any high end gaming as such. My brother mostly uses the PS for that.

Iv currently got 2 x80gb HDD that I want to continue to use. I plan on adding a new 250GB. Do I need an smps as high as 300watt?

Whats a good optical mouse? Iv been quoted a Samsung. Thats all the queries I have for now.
Old 12th December 2007, 18:51   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Howdy!!

Call Surabhi Computech @ 22998357, this is SP.Road non-tax bill type affair. A friend recommended them. Prices are considerably cheaper.
I think all you are saving by not taking a bill is 4% VAT. Not worth the trouble IMHO. Most retailers at SP Road give a proper bill.

Quote:
There's about 1-1.2k difference between the 1.8 vs 2.2 Core 2 Duo processor. How much of a difference would that premium make considering I dont really do any high end gaming as such. My brother mostly uses the PS for that.

Iv currently got 2 x80gb HDD that I want to continue to use. I plan on adding a new 250GB. Do I need an smps as high as 300watt?

Whats a good optical mouse? Iv been quoted a Samsung. Thats all the queries I have for now.
Get the cheaper one and overclock... most of them will do atleast 2.6GHz on the stock cooler. Photoshop needs some serious CPU power btw if he's dealing with DSLR images.

A good cheap optical mouse is a Logitech MX310. Costs under 500 bucks.

Don't skimp on ram... Get 2x1GB. Prices are down to 1000 bucks per gig anyway for DDR2 667.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 12th December 2007 at 18:53.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 20:08   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Most retailers at SP Road give a proper bill.
Ah then so will this place, I assumed wrong. They are a pretty big retailer there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Get the cheaper one and overclock... most of them will do atleast 2.6GHz on the stock cooler.
Thanks man, I dont think I will own a DSLR anytime in the near future :(

I dont need anything too high end. In fact I think I can squeeze in a nice set of speakers OR a TFT if I go with the SP.Road guys.
Old 12th December 2007, 20:54   #120
rkg
Senior - BHPian

SP road has some good dealers.best way is to get the prices from computerware house and then checking it at SP road.but computerwarehouse gives one year on site warranty where as SP road guys want you to take their shop.

better buy Two RAM's at once.it is always better. the chances of getting same batch RAM is more.if youbuy second RAM later, chances of getting same make and batch are rare. latency differs between brands that will affect MB

try ankit infotech/computers at SP road. it is good. PM me if you want details

never buy intel CPU without bill. intel will not accept it for repairs/replacement if it is not imported through proper channels. every board/CPU will have a sticker clearly mentioning the importer's name and address with MRP.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote