Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th November 2007, 11:24   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
So a DAC is just a DAC
Not really.

If one said that one could also say that a speaker is just a speaker after all the dynamic loudspeaker we use today very closely remsebles the orignal made by Mr. Rice and Mr. Kellogg over 60 years ago. A good DAC with a tightly regulated Power supply is as important as a well damped platter with good mechanical rigidity/stability.

BTW Norge makes very good VFM stuff. The company's name is Eastern Electronics (Google will help you get their website/address) and also with the Whafdale and Monitor Audio speakers their latest speakers deserve an audition too.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 19:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
CD players have better DACs.
Excuse me for my ignorance but can you please elaborate a reason for this.
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 20:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Basically any CD/DVD player has two sections... one is the transport which contains the drive/lens etc and the other section is the one that converts the digital signal into analog so that it can be fed to an amplifier.

The trouble with the cheaper units is that the DAC section is severely compromised. There are tonnes of different DAC chips available right from the el cheapo like the Crystal CS4382 (less than a dollar) to the uber expensive and now phased out Burr Brown PCM1704.

With the DAC, one needs a very good power supply, a high quality clock generator and finally good electronics(read good capacitors) for the output stage alongwith a well designed circuit on a high quality PCB. A standalone DAC if designed without any compromises can cost a bomb. Even the entry level ones would be 300-400$. In my DAC, the toroidal transformer itself weighs more than 3 kilos.

Obviously the DAC sections of a cheapo dvd player have been paid scant attention and are severely compromised upon as they are meant to be connected to consumer speakers and not high quality ones.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 27th November 2007 at 20:04.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 20:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Thanks ROC (can i call u that?). The speakers that u have mentioned would need a dedicated AMp right? I was hoping to get amplified speakers! Would that be a no no?

How would you compare Amplified speakers with the ones that you have mentioned? That plan i had was a pair of amplified speakers with a Audio/video reciever. I figured it would take less space and would also save me the hassle of the AMP business.

Opinions?

ELito
If you are looking at the AudioEngine A5, its probably a better speaker than the wharfedales that I suggested. They are absolutely brilliant speakers.
Old 28th November 2007, 09:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
If you are looking at the AudioEngine A5, its probably a better speaker than the wharfedales that I suggested. They are absolutely brilliant speakers.
Yes..exactly what i had in mind! Thanks for that! Also now my source is going to be a PC or basically i am keen on a hard disk based source. So here are the basics in my mind

1. HD > soundcard/DAC > Speakers ..........good enuff?

Also i plan to go wireless la squeezebox (another reason for A5).

What else do i need to keep in mind?

Elito
Elito11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 09:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Basically any CD/DVD player has two sections... one is the transport which contains the drive/lens etc and the other section is the one that converts the digital signal into analog so that it can be fed to an amplifier.

The trouble with the cheaper units is that the DAC section is severely compromised. There are tonnes of different DAC chips available right from the el cheapo like the Crystal CS4382 (less than a dollar) to the uber expensive and now phased out Burr Brown PCM1704.

With the DAC, one needs a very good power supply, a high quality clock generator and finally good electronics(read good capacitors) for the output stage alongwith a well designed circuit on a high quality PCB. A standalone DAC if designed without any compromises can cost a bomb. Even the entry level ones would be 300-400$. In my DAC, the toroidal transformer itself weighs more than 3 kilos.

Obviously the DAC sections of a cheapo dvd player have been paid scant attention and are severely compromised upon as they are meant to be connected to consumer speakers and not high quality ones.
A very informative and useful post!

Elito
Old 28th November 2007, 09:31   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
you need an amp too.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 09:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With so much emphasis on the quality of DACs, do analyse which soundcard would be suitable. Some expensive soundcards measure very poorly.
anupmathur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 11:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
you need an amp too.
Not with A5 right? They are amplified speakers.

Also what choices do i have for the source?

Elito
Old 28th November 2007, 11:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
With so much emphasis on the quality of DACs, do analyse which soundcard would be suitable. Some expensive soundcards measure very poorly.
Thanks, i will. What do u suggest?
ALso i guess the inbuilt DAC @squeezebox would be good enuff. If not i may also look at a USB DAC.Wotsay?

Elito
Old 28th November 2007, 13:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you need an amp too.
The Audio Engine A5 that he plans to buy is a mini studio monitor with its own amplification. Just connect to a source and its done.
Old 28th November 2007, 13:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The Audio Engine A5 that he plans to buy is a mini studio monitor with its own amplification. Just connect to a source and its done.
What about the DAC and source? What do u suggest?

Elito
Old 28th November 2007, 14:41   #28
BHPian

Default Has anybody tried this guy from Bangalore?

Though this may be out of topic. But related to home audio system

http://www.corrson.com/ I am planning floor standing speakers from this. Also audiophile DIY.

Regards
omishra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 15:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
What about the DAC and source? What do u suggest?

Elito
On second thoughts (and after some brain twisting research)..i think i should stick to a good CD player as a source!

So now its
CD player > AE5 . Should fit my budget and 'requirements' perfectly!

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 28th November 2007 at 15:12.
Old 28th November 2007, 15:18   #30
BHPian

I was in your situvation few years back.If you have any frd in US or ur planning to go to US.Try to get Onkyo.That is best value for money.Buy your speakes separate.I can't recommend speakes with out knowing ur requirments.But you can get descent one's from polkaudio,Wharfdale ,tannoy etc.
If you wanna understand tech:
Pls refer Car Audio Installation and home audio selection guide

Great place to start and work on
manziee_crusier is offline   Reply With Quote